Chapter 15
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the end of the week, Zye is exhausted for more than one reason. The main one is the long trek he’s had to make back to the hospital for his check-up. Something he hates more than anything. Especially since Dr. Len always wants to run more tests; adjust this, change that, switch it to this over there. It’s nothing new for Zye.

Yet there was an urgency in the way Dr. Len spoke. He might not be the best at reading someone, but the tone was there.

Worry.

It simply means he has to go back tomorrow.

Regardless, he’s surprised he makes it back home without having to pull over. He hasn’t eaten much and what he has doesn’t want to stay down. All in all, he feels as though he’s gotten run over at least once or twice. Everything aches.

The only joy that touches him is the fact that he gets to go home to a full house. It’s a rare day where everyone is free and he wouldn’t miss it for the world. He even let them know he doesn’t care what the genre of movie it is— he’s just glad it worked out.

He’s unlocking the door and opening it when he hears the microwave’s shrill ding. The smell of popcorn hits him first and foremost as he kicks his sneakers off. His heel knocks the door shut before he locks it. All so he can amble into the living room with the best mask he can put on.

They don’t need to know that he wants to crawl into a hole right now.

If anything, the sight he’s greeted to warms him just a bit. Shae is leaving the kitchen with a bowl of popcorn in his arms. Jace is on the couch with Callua on the floor between his legs. Sitting on her knees and her hair being so long, Jace can braid it without having to bend over too much.

Zye sits down next to Jace, leaning back with a sigh. “Isn’t long hair a pain?”

“Not when you have your own personal stylist,” she replies.

“Sit still or I can’t finish.”

“Yes, sir.”

Shae comes around the chair and sets the large bowl on the table. If only so he can scoop some into a smaller one and plop down onto the chair. Wiggling until he’s comfortable, he grabs the remote. “I think you’d look great with short hair. You’ve got the face for it.”

“Um, maybe?”

Jace quickly finishes the end and ties it off. If anything, he knows that she’s sensitive about her hair. A reason why he looks over to Shae. “Go ahead and start it.”

Not only does it give Callua a chance to slip up and to the other side of Zye, but also for Jace to look over at his boyfriend. Zye meets his gaze for a second before flicking it away. He knows very well that Jace can see right through him— it has to be because he had so many siblings.

He does nothing until Shae has the movie started. Callua and Shae begin munching on popcorn as it starts. The music thunders through the speakers Shae has set up. It’s then that Jace whispers down to Zye, “Lean on me.”

Zye glances back to him, as if to argue against it, when a hand touches his. A smile of encouragement is all the courage Zye needs to let go a bit. Besides, if everyone is focused on the movie then they won’t notice that he’s…not. He swallows hard and scoots a little closer.

If either of their friends does peak over it simply looks like they’re being cute. When in reality Zye is resting his head on Jace’s shoulder, nuzzling as far up as he can, so he can’t see the bright flashes across the screen. It makes it all too easy to tune the movie out and focus on ignoring the discomfort.

It doesn’t take long for Zye to sag against Jace, falling asleep easy enough. The exhaustion takes hold and he’s out before the movie even begins to pick up. Neither Callua nor Shae say a word until the movie is over and the credits are rolling across a black screen.

Callua gives Zye a worried look. Her hand brushes over his arm. “He must not feel well if he slept through the explosions.”

Shae stands and stretches. “I’ll clean up here. Do you need help with him?”

“No, I can handle it.”

“Alright. Well, you know where to find me if you need me.”

Shae begins to scoop up all of the trash and bowls for the first trip into the kitchen. As he does, Callua bends forward with elbows bracing on her knees. Her eyes never leave Jace as he begins to slip out from underneath Zye.

“I wonder how his doctor’s visit went today. He’s had so many bad days lately.”

Jace brings Zye with him. The man rouses ever-so-slightly. Just enough for Jace to get him to stand so he can scoop him up into his arms. He adjusts his hold, making sure he won’t drop him.

“Does he tell you afterward?”

“Not usually. It’s easier to not tell me than to lie and say it went well.”

A sigh slips from Jace as he turns, making his way to Zye’s room. He can’t help but feel better when the man nuzzles closer to him— seeking that warmth. It’s not until they’re in the room and there’s plenty of noise in the kitchen that Callua speaks up.

“You know, you’ve been a lot more human lately.”

“And?”

“I didn’t say it was a bad thing.” She fiddles with the bottom hem of her t-shirt. There’s anxiety when she sees them together— she’s worried from the tip of her toes to the top of her head that this is going to end horribly. “So, staying the night then?”

Jace is taking his time in getting Zye laid on the bed and covered up. The only thing he does while Callua is standing there is take the phone, keys, and wallet out of the man’s pockets. He steps away once he has and gives her his full attention.

“He’s obviously not feeling well. I’d be a terrible boyfriend if I didn’t.”

“Pfft, you’re too good. A shame I couldn’t scoop you up first.”

“Is that so? All I’d do is clean up your messes— oh wait, I do that already.”

She puckers her lips at him and sticks her tongue out. “Ass. See if I ask for a hug next time.”

“Hey…Cal?”

“Hm?” She can hear the message slipping through her mind. It’s urgent if anything. “Make it quick, I gotta go before Adrian throws a tantrum.”

Jace glances over his shoulder. “Do you think he’d let me go with him? I don’t think he should be driving in that condition.”

“I don’t know. But…can you even drive?”

A flush crosses his cheeks and it has Callua wanting to laugh. Instead, she steps forward and pats his arm. She’s not surprised when his hand brushes over hers, giving it a squeeze in return.

“Tell him you can pay for the ride fare and go with him next time if he wants. Just to make sure he gets there and back safely. I’ll spot you whatever you need.”

“Can I ask you to do me one more favor?”

The smile she gives him is sweet with the slightest hint of cunning. She tugs her hand away to let them both land on her hips. “Oh? I like when you owe me favors.”

“Meet with Charm, tell her I’ve been busy. I’ll come to her soon.”

“Haaa….really? Okay fine, I’ll handle it. Now get to bed and I’ll see you later.”

“Thank you.”

Jace watches her leave with a slight wave of her hand. She shuts the door with a gentle click. He’s left with a quiet room that’s dark now that the light from the hallway is gone. Huffing, he turns back around and blossoms an orb of fire onto the palm of his hand.

The first thing he notices is that Zye has rolled over away from the nightstand. Jace tugs the blanket back and sits down. He keeps the distance between them as he lies down and covers up. All before he snuffs out the fire and closes his eyes.

Sleep is a hard thing to come by for Jace. Yet when a comfortable weight presses up against him, he feels his body relaxing already. Zye burrows in close to where Jace can hold onto him as he tries to fall asleep.

________________________

The next morning, Zye wakes up with the smallest bout of confusion. He doesn’t remember going to bed much less anything after the start of the movie. Yet he’s not unhappy to find the arm wrapped around his waist. It’s so warm up against Jace that he wishes he didn’t have to get up.

Except he does. He spots his phone on the nightstand and inwardly curses that he’s on the wrong side of the bed. Zye tries his best to wiggle free from the arm and push himself up, just enough to reach for the phone.

Fingertips scoot it closer and he grabs it. Just in time for hands to tug on his hips, pulling him back down. Not that Zye minds. His body hurts and the warm chest he ends up lying against is comforting, to say the least. It feels so good to have someone’s arms wrapping around him.

The security has him relaxing there while flicking his phone on.

“Is everything okay?”

Zye extends the screen and winces when the light hits his eyes. “Just checking the time. I have another appointment today.” The bold numbers tell him he’s overslept more than he should have. It’s almost noon already. “I should get ready. Oh, uh, thanks for last night.”

“You’re welcome.”

Tossing the phone onto the nightstand, it barely hangs onto the edge. Not that Zye cares. He’s letting his cheek rest against Jace’s chest. Just a few more seconds— he can charge up off of the comfort and leave for the day. He almost hates how easy it is to be around this man— it feels like he’s known him forever.

A hand rubs against his back. “How are you feeling?”

“Like shit,” he mumbles.

“I can make you something to eat if you’d like.”

“I appreciate it but nah. I wouldn’t have time. I’ll just get something on the way.” He begins to peel away from Jace and the arms that reluctantly let him go. Crawling over Jace, he sits on the edge and drags his hand up through his hair, pushing it out of his eyes. He can see Jace rolling over to follow him, his face staring at Zye’s back.

“You can say no— I’m aware it might be overstepping. Would you mind if I went with you?”

Zye stills. Every part of him tenses up at that. Sure Callua has gone with him before. But that feels different. She usually stayed with Lyra while he had his meetings. He doesn’t know what news he’s going to get or what Dr. Len is going to want to convince him to do. Yet, it’s for that reason that he tries to lean on someone else for a bit. Something he hasn’t done in so long.

Lyra would want him to. He can already hear her in his head cursing him for not accepting the offer fast enough.

“Not really. I have to leave soon so whatever you need to do— H-hey, what’s with you now?”

Jace surges forward, arms wrapping around Zye’s waist. All while slowly sitting up so he can hold onto Zye more securely. “I can get us a ride and I’ll wait outside for you. I just want to make sure you get there and back safe.”

“It means that much to you, huh?”

“It does.”

Zye rolls his eyes. It’s like having a dog sometimes. “Okay, okay. Let me go get ready. I’ll schedule the ride—”

“I can pay.” Sitting up, Jace stays behind him while resting his head on Zye’s shoulder. “I’ll pick you up something on my way back.”

He dares to turn to look back at Jace. It’s what has him unable to tear his eyes away or retreat from the hand that brushes along his jaw. Jace lifts his head enough to dust his lips over Zye’s. A feeling that has the latter wishing he didn’t have to go anywhere today.

The slight dusting of pink over his cheeks has Zye squirming to get away. He shrugs out of the hold and ignores the smile he knows is on those lips. Instead, he heads straight for the bathroom. “Just go and hurry back.”

Jace does the opposite of hurrying at first. He waits patiently and watches Zye move about the room. He’s definitely not feeling well from how he ambles from closet to dresser then finally off to the bathroom. It’s only then that he dares to go pick up what he needs from Callua.

By the time he’s reentering the room via another portal, he sees Zye styling his hair up out of his eyes. The pink bangs spike up while he sweeps the rest of the black tresses back behind his ears. It’s the most he’s doing. Zye can’t be bothered with dressing up; jeans and a faded tie-dye t-shirt are all he can manage. Not to mention the jacket tied around his hips— Jace’s jacket.

Zye turns and he can’t help but smirk. “Trying to impress someone?”

On his way back from meeting with Callua to get a card, he did stop to get changed. Wrinkled clothes didn’t sound like something he should wear. Of course, he thought he picked something plain and simple. Somehow, Zye can’t take his eyes off him.

“No?”

The white shirt has sleeves rolled up to his elbows. It’s beneath a dark gray vest that isn’t meant to close. It simply drapes down to Jace’s coal-colored jeans. The fact that he’s left his hair down only helps add to it. For a moment, Zye’s very glad he’s letting Jace tag along with him.

Jace holds out a small paper bag. After all, he wasn’t going to dare come back empty-handed. “I picked you up a couple of plain donuts and water. Just to keep you from getting sick on the way over.”

Striding over to him, Zye opens the top of the bag and pulls out the water. The cool, glass bottle still feels good in his hands. Jace takes the bag back while Zye unscrews the top and takes a sip. Replacing it, he looks to Jace. “The ride should be here soon. Figured we could wait outside.”

“That’s fine. As long as you’re not late.”

“Mm, it’ll be fine even if it’s by a little.”

It’s the truth, too. Dr. Len has always made time for him. As a friend to his parents as well as Kass, he knows all too well that he has an emotional incentive to help him. Zye appreciates it, of course. But it doesn’t matter who the doctor is that tells him that he’s still dying at a faster rate than others. There’s always going to be a bitter taste in his mouth knowing he has to go back there.

Heading outside to the porch, Zye wiggles his fingers at Jace in a ‘give me’ motion. It has the latter rolling his eyes and holding the bag out to him. “You could just ask.”

“You knew what I wanted though.”

“I can see why you and Callua get along. You’re both…never mind.”

Zye smiles around the donut he begins to munch on. “Both what? Go on, say it.”

“Children.”

“Maybe,” he says after swallowing another hunk of the pastry.

Jace shakes his head and leans against the porch’s column. He keeps an eye out for the car that should be pulling up any minute. Seeing as Zye can’t talk while he eats, Jace looks out at the clear blue sky above the cityscape.

“Since other worlds and planes of existence exist, a lot of those things we’ve seen in movies really are out there.” Jace can’t help but smile when Zye’s eyes widen at him. “We aren’t supposed to make contact with just anything, though. It’s better not to approach some of them.”

Zye practically chokes down the last bite and balls up the paper bag. He shoves it down into the pocket of his jacket before making his way over to Jace. The water sloshes in the bottle as he comes to an abrupt stop. “You’re telling me there are real vampires out there?”

“Yes.”

“All the way to giant spiders that live in a dark forest?”

“If you find them they’re usually just in a regular forest.”

The car pulling up to the sidewalk has Zye mad they even have to go. “You owe me more information later.”

Jace grabs the bottle from Zye’s hands as well as the cap. Putting it back on, he gives a nod. “Only if you’re good.”

Zye, now with free hands, opens the rear door and allows Jace to slip inside first. It gives the man a chance to lean forward and pay in advance with a rather large tip. The older man in the seat grins from ear to ear as Zye shuts the door.

“Buckle up, I’ll get you there safe as can be.”

“Thank you.”

Jace still isn’t used to any seatbelt— not when they’re all variations of the same thing. Zye watches only for a moment and represses the desire to chuckle at him. Instead, he grabs the end and helps lock it into place before doing his own. The only problem is once that’s done and the silence settles in, he’s nervous.

There’s only the slight trill of classical music that he can barely hear. It gives too much room for his thoughts. The very things he hates more than anything most days. The amount of dread they stir up has him stiff in his seat. At least, until a hand reaches over and tugs at his arm.

On the seat between them, Jace clasps his hand to Zye’s.

A simple motion that has Zye giving a furtive glance. Not that Jace is looking at him. His elbow is propped against the windowsill while his eyes watch the scenery begin to pass by. It’s a slow but easy journey. Safe if nothing else considering the man doesn’t zip them in and out of traffic. Upon arrival, the man pulls them up to the front.

“Thanks again,” Zye says to the man. He’s surprised there’s a smile in return. Then again, it’s not abnormal for some people to be nice.

Zye opens his door and holds it open. Jace slips out behind Zye. He’s quiet and follows each step Zye takes until they’re at the doors. It’s there he finally stalls. Something that has Zye stopping as well and turning to him. “Aren’t you coming in?”

“I can wait out here. I’m not family so I shouldn’t intrude.”

“Jay?”

“Yes?”

“Get your ass over here, please?”

A hand holds out toward him and he can’t deny it. Not when Zye says his name like that— it feels different, more intimate. Jace clasps his hand to Zye’s before holding the door open with his other hand. Slipping inside, Zye takes him around the waiting area and up to a desk.

The young woman behind it beams at Zye. “Good afternoon, Mr. Rigel. Are you here for Dr. Len?”

He doesn’t miss the way her eyes sweep to the side at the sight of Jace. Zye will be the first to admit he’s quite the sight. “Yeah. I have an appointment, just need to know if he’s ready for me.”

Nails click against the screen before she nods. “Yes, sir. He’s requested you go to his office. Would you like an escort?”

“No thanks, I know where it is.”

“Alright then. He should be in there, just knock and he’ll let you in.” She slides a card beneath the thick glass shield around the desk. “If anyone asks, just show them this.”

Zye plucks it up, “Thanks.”

All the while, he keeps his hand with Jace’s. He walks behind Zye but never lags too much. He dutifully follows while taking in just what a hospital is. It’s nothing like the medical buildings he saw in his time alive. And not needing to ever go into another has him curious about everything.

He doesn’t get much of a chance to explore considering Zye takes him down a few empty hallways to stop at a door. There’s a nameplate next to it and it’s been left slightly ajar. Zye taps his knuckles against it.

“Dr. Len?”

“Come on in!”

Zye edges it open the rest of the way and only then does he let go of Jace’s hand. He lets Jace enter so he can shut the door. It has Jace idling off to the side until Zye moves for the chair opposite of desk.

Light spills down from the fixture above them. The stark white of the paper is almost blinding as Dr. Len shuffles them to the side into a stack. He looks up after flicking on a screen and pulling a detached keyboard forward. Slightly widened eyes is the only sign that he gives of his surprise.

Jace stands behind Zye. He keeps closer to the door and the large succulent in the corner of the room. He’s listening— paying close attention— but he’s trying to remove himself from the conversation in its entirety. There’s no right for him to speak up unless Zye asks him to.

Dr. Len redirects his eyes to Zye. He turns the screen and begins pointing to a few statistics. “As you can see from your results this time compared to last, there are quite a few areas that I’m concerned about. Levels that should be high are low and the lows are getting too high.”

“You’re going to up the dosage again?”

“I am.”

“In how many I take or the milligram?”

“Both preferably. It’ll be one in the morning and one in the evening. However, I did want to discuss it further with you.” Dr. Len turns the screen off and folds his arms against the desk. “If you’re losing your taste now on top of the others, then I suggest we start the experimental treatments.”

“I’ll pass.”

Dr. Len sighs heavily. He leans forward a bit more. “Zye, please, this is important. You should think about the long term.”

“And I decided.”

“Even in the last few months, we’ve come a long way in refining it further. You wouldn’t have to live here like…” he stalls out, not wanting to bring up Lyra’s name. “…you’d only be here for three or four days out of the month. Maybe five if we need to keep you for observation.”

“Can you even tell me it’ll really help?”

“How about this? I’ll meet you halfway since I know you don’t like being cooped up here. Come in twice a month, in the beginning and at the end for a couple hours. I’ll start you out on a smaller strain and if it seems like it’s working, then we can consider the other.”

“I don’t—”

A chime of three beeps turns Dr. Len’s phone on. He glances over and scoops it up. The screen slides out as he stands. “I’m sorry. Please excuse me for just a moment, I need to check on this.”

Dr. Len slips from the room and leaves Zye with a heavy weight on his shoulders. The silence is deafening. He doesn’t want to turn around. He doesn’t want to look at Jace. He can’t hide from those eyes. It has Zye hating that he let Jace tag along.

At least, until he feels the hand fall onto his shoulder.

The comfort it gives him is endless and untold in its beauty. It has the tightness in his chest easing enough for him to breathe. The thoughts he doesn’t want to turn into words are choked down and for a moment, the chaos in his mind quells. It makes it so easy for Zye to reach up and place his hand over Jace’s. Fingers brush between his and he can’t help but smile.

“What do you think?”

“I…don’t know much about any of this. You should do what you’re comfortable with.”

Zye scoffs, “I hate hospitals. I’m not comfortable in the slightest so that doesn’t really help.”

“Then think of what is the best course and be the brave man I know you are. Besides, I’d be there with you if you let me.”

Whipping his head around, Zye stares up at Jace. It’s not something unlike what his mother would say. The honesty of the answer has his chest aching— God, he misses her and her advice. He knows what she would tell him. He knows she wouldn’t want him to suffer because of his own fear. Yet he can’t help himself— can’t stop himself.

“It hasn’t even been that long that we’ve been together. Why would you want to waste it being in a hospital or at my bedside because I’m—”

Jace quickly cuts him off and grabs the fingers that try to pull away from him. “Maybe it’s because time works differently for me.”

“Let go.”

Instead, Jace comes up closer behind the chair and leans down. “No. Not until you listen to me.” He smiles at the way Zye tries to wiggle his hand away like he’s a child trying to escape from a parent. “You’re my friend and my boyfriend. I care about you so it doesn’t matter where we are when we spend time together as long as I get to and know you’re okay.”

Zye glares at the floor, not wanting to look at that gaze. He wants to in the same breath. He wants those silver eyes to unravel and calm him. For a moment, he wonders if he even deserves someone like Jace. So willing to bend and not break. So willing to catch the tears and turn them into happy thoughts instead.

“It won’t be fun.”

“Maybe to you. But maybe it’d be a nice change to have you not fight back so hard. That slap on the back the other day actually stung, you should remember your own strength.”

Turning to meet that gaze, Zye smirks up at him. “You deserved it for thinking me tripping over my own feet was funny.”

“I did not. What was funny is that you squealed and then looked like you wanted to melt when you realized I heard it.”

Zye pouts and situates back into the chair. He yanks his hand away so he can cross his arms over his chest. “Ass. You would have, too.”

Both hands relax onto his shoulders, squeezing at them ever-so-slightly. It’s reassuring and has Zye letting out a sigh. He tilts his head back, eyes eager to meet with Jace’s. “It’s not like it’ll fix anything.”

Jace hums, a small little noise that Zye wishes he would give more of. The deep tone is so pleasant to his ears. So much so that he almost doesn’t hear Jace’s response. “Isn’t a little bit of peace better than nothing?”

“And you’d put up with my whining twice a month?”

“Honestly? I wish you’d whine more. I don’t mind helping if you need it. You’d do the same for me too, right?”

“Wait— can you still get sick?”

“No.”

He’s absolutely disappointed by that fact. He huffs once more and lifts his head. It means there’ll be no nursing Jace back to health or taking care of him. He doesn’t get hurt or sick that Zye’s seen. Zye finds himself thinking how nice that’d be— finds himself wondering how he could be like that.

Mortality is a bitch.

The door finally opens and Dr. Len steps back into the room. Stepping around them, he returns to his seat at the desk. He takes note that Jace is stepping back and his hands are slipping from Zye’s shoulders. “I’m sorry about that. Now, what do you think?”

“Fine. Twice a month I can handle.”

Smiling wide, Dr. Len taps a few keys on his computer. “I’m glad to hear it. We can start today and I’ll get your new prescription filled in the meanwhile. If you have time or do you want to reschedule for another day.”

“Today’s fine. Wait, Jace are you free the rest of the day?” asks Zye as he turns partially in his seat.

“Of course.”

“Then it’s fine.”

Dr. Len keys in a few more things before standing. “Then if you’ll follow me, I’ll take you back.” His eyes catch Jace’s as he comes around the desk. “Will you be joining us?”

This has both Zye and Jace hesitating. Jace doesn’t want to overstep and answer for Zye. Meanwhile, Zye isn’t sure if he wants Jace there. He both does and doesn’t for a million different reasons. Zye takes the opportunity to stand up, ignoring the way the chair screeches against the floor. He’s surprised when Jace beats him to the punch.

“I’ll be out in the waiting room. Message me when you’re done?”

Zye nods and watches as Jace opens the door, slipping out first with but a small smile back at him. He almost wants to reach out and stop Jace. Maybe having him back there wouldn’t be such a big deal. Then again, it would be. He still has Dr. Len after all and the man has already seen him at his worst during these treatments.

At that, the man turns his eyes up to Zye. “Are you ready?”

“Y-yeah, sure.”

________________________

Jace spends most of his time sitting in a seat far from everyone else. He has the perfect view through a window and enjoys the way the sun hits his skin. It’s invigorating for his kind. It gives him the energy he needs to send out messages— checking up on everyone and everything while he waits in the cold interior of the waiting room.

Even so, it’s only a little over an hour later that he’s stirred from his conversation with Callua. Fingers brush against his shoulder— the lightest touch. He turns in his seat to see a pair of sunglasses beginning to slide down Zye’s nose. “Do you want to sit down first?”

“No. I ordered the ride already, they’re waiting outside.”

He watches and, happily, waits for Jace to move around the seating. A palm presses against the middle of his back, urging him forward. “Then let’s get you home.”

Jace doesn’t ask if he needs another water seeing as the other is missing. He doesn’t dare pry into how it went or what they did. All he sees is the gauze wrapping around Zye’s wrist from where the jacket sleeve bunches against it. Except he knows his curiosity will have to wait when Zye stumbles.

Bracing him, Jace helps him out and into the small car that waits for them. He pays, settles in next to Zye, and hates that he can’t sit directly next to him. Of course, the one they get to take them back doesn’t have a seatbelt for the middle space between them. It has Jace mentally cursing as he watches Zye lean against the door.

He still holds onto Jace’s hand. It’s the only thing that seems to ground him. He’s downright exhausted and he knows he’ll be feeling all those shots in the spine in the morning. The one that went in his arm is already sore and starting to throb. But they’re nothing to the way all of his senses feel like he’s on the best drug ever— heightened and annoyingly so.

It has him dizzy and wishing the world would stop being so bright. Even the hum of the engine is too loud. The air conditioner that blows into the back seat is too cold. Not to mention the way his stomach flips with each turn that they take.

To say he’s thrilled to be home would be an understatement.

Jace gets out first and hurries around to Zye’s door. He thanks the person once more while giving Zye a helping hand— just to steady himself if anything. The door shuts and they take a few steps away. Zye’s hand slides up from Jace’s to his forearm, grabbing onto it as the world dares to tilt.

“I’m fine.” He insists when he feels those eyes settle on him.

Saying nothing, Jace merely wraps an arm around Zye’s waist to get a good grip on him. The walk up to the door takes a bit longer than normal. Even more so when Zye tugs the keys out and has to unlock it. Jace nudges it open before leading Zye in, making sure he stays steady the entire time.

It seems like no one is home. The lights are off with only the glow through the slightly-parted curtains in the living room. Regardless, Jace holds onto Zye’s arm as the taller man makes it through to his room. He must not feel good considering he doesn’t even bother kicking his shoes off at the door.

The second he’s in his room, Zye ambles to the bed and plops down on the edge. He shrugs out of the jacket only to wince when he has to move his arm to do so. Before he throws it to the ground, he retrieves the pill bottle from his pocket. The skinny orange container thunks onto the nightstand.

Jace stops it before it rolls off. “Anything I can get you?”

“Water, if you don’t mind.”

His eyes catch the band-aid on Zye’s shoulder. Turning, he makes for the door. “Light off?”

“Mhm.”

Off Jace goes on a mission. He hurries into the kitchen only to run into Shae eating a sandwich. The blond’s eyes go wide and he swallows hard past what he was chewing. “Did you…holy shit, you went with him?”

Jace is busy grabbing a glass from the cabinet and filling it with water. “Yes?”

“Thanks, man.”

“There’s no need.”

Big need. Gonna be here the rest of the day?”

“More than likely.” Jace would love to stop and talk, but he has a mission. As simple as it is, it still comes first.

Shae seems to understand. Then again, he’s more than grateful— maybe even envious— that someone has managed to get through that hard outer shell his best friend has. He leans against the counter. “Then I’ll make dinner before I leave. Nothing special, I can only follow basic instructions.”

“I appreciate whatever you can do.”

Jace shuts the bedroom door behind him once he’s inside. Only to stop dead in his tracks at the sight of Zye sitting half-turned on the bed. One leg crosses onto the sheets, already having shucked out of his jeans and into sweatpants. He’s tugging the shirt over his head and it’s that, that allows Jace to see the two circular bandages on Zye’s back.

Zye sweeps his hand through his hair after chucking the shirt onto the corner of the bed. He gives Jace a smile and accepts the glass he’s given. Jace waits patiently for Zye to take his medicine and let the clack of the glass hit the nightstand. Zye isn’t faring much better, wishing the seconds weren’t ticking by in silence.

“Sorry, I know—”

“No apologies.”

“Fine…Thank you,” he huffs at Jace.

“You’re welcome.” Jace strides over and plucks at the sheet, lifting it up and holding it for Zye to climb under. “Sleep until dinner?”

But he doesn’t go under it. He reaches out and tugs at Jace’s shirt. He’s doing it before he even realizes he has. The second he does, he’s recoiling away as if he’s been burned. Zye begins under the sheet that’s offered to him with a mumble, “Yeah.”

The bed next to him dips.

“Move over some.”

“Wait. Why?”

“Because I’d feel bad for manhandling you after that.”

Grumbling, Zye slides over enough for Jace to sit up and lean his back against the wall. He remains on his side, facing Jace, with the pillow bunched up beneath his head. “You’re really going to stay here the whole time?”

“It’s just a couple hours. I’ll wake you up when the food is ready and if you need anything, I’m right here.”

“Won’t it be boring?”

Jace retrieves his phone and turns it on. “No. I’ll try out that game you put on this thing. So get some rest, even if you don’t sleep.”

Zye doesn’t argue the point further. Not when he’s secretly ecstatic that Jace is still here. He proves it by saddling closer under the guise of watching the little character move across Jace’s screen. At least, he would see it if his eyes weren’t already closing.

1