Chapter 9: Border Patrol
58 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Howell and Little Red had a good time sleeping. Howell was happy especially since he could let Carmen enter the Beast Idle Training Dimension. 

 

Because he was sure that Carmen needed a lot of time and resources to grow stronger. Resource was something that he lacked and he did not have the heart to ask Little Red for everything. 

In that regard, Howell started to understand his parents' feelings of not wanting to burden their child. So he could only think of getting stronger. Because that was the only way for him to get more resources... 

 

-

 

[The host seemed to be careful not to put unnecessary pressure on his Beast companion]

As the Administrator of the Beast Taming System, it had to supervise not only the function of the system but also look at its host's action. It could also see that Howell was the kind who also formed sentiments quite easily despite his rationality. 

[I also had to remind Carmen, that little caterpillar to try her best. Her Partner did not send her there to just waste time]

[She looked carefree on the outside but she worked hard in her own way, not losing to Little Red]

[Both of the beasts have a rivalry but it is a kind that stimulates growth. Unfortunately, I cannot interfere much with the host. Otherwise, I would have told him lots of things]

[Even his beasts can only see me when it comes to urgent matters pertaining to the system's involvement]

[And this sector... Mythical Tamer, what is it that you want to achieve by placing Power Rank Restriction Frame here?]

 

-

 

When Howell opened his eyes, he realized that this was the place where he used to sleep before he moved to the dormitory in high school. 

He also felt someone on his side and knew that Little Red was awake, staring at him. He turned his head to look at her. 

"Morning, Little Red. You better polymorph back to your snake form. At this time, I will go out and ask Father to go to the border together." Howell said to Little Red while rubbing his eyes. 

"Don't worry about that Master. As soon as I polymorph back, I will retract the armaments back. Let me enjoy this for a bit longer~" Little Red was just staring at him and Howell could feel that she would not be bored to do that. 

 

Howell rubbed Little Red's head and said, "We have to get up and you know it, don't you? This is my first time going out to the border..."

"Right. That is why I do this so that Master can relax."

"I am already better. Seriously, we need to prepare." Howell got up from his comfortable bed as he prepared a bit for his trip. 

It was considered a trip but it was closer to a tour. Howell had to prepare some important things when he wanted to go out and both Martha and Seth helped him in the preparation too. 

While he did that, he also checked the progress of Carmen inside the Idle Training Dimension. 

 

[Year 3, Month 5, Day 20

Carmen was improving her illusion ability once again due to the disturbance caused by the local beasts every time. She improved this ability so that she could store more origin energy, grew her power rank, and also protected her when she was asleep or in a meditative state]

[She did not expect that some advice from Little Red was starting to show its effect. She had to admit that Little Red was resourceful... ]

 

While Howell was looking at the narrative text, Little Red sent something to Howell. 

'Master~, now that you have stabilized your origin energy it is time for something that will reinforce your power rank!' 

Howell could feel Little Red's excitement. Most of the time, he stabilized his origin energy that suddenly increased by training with Little Red, meditation, and proper rest. Now that all of that had been done, Little Red felt it was time for Howell to know some things. 

'What is it that you want to tell me?' Howell looked at the red snake that coiled around his left arm and transmitted his thoughts. 

 

'Origin Energy Cultivation and Refinement Art! I got this from Desolate Asteroid Belt in the training dimension!' Little Red was excited since Howell was going to become stronger as well. And she perceived that his power rank had solidified, it was the perfect time to learn it. Furthermore, Little Red could see that due to the variables that arrived at Olive High School, the seeds of conflict would sprout... 

'This time I will transfer it directly to Master. Please relax and try to get the essence of it.' Little Red reminded Howell before he felt the gushing of new information inside his head. 

Howell relaxed his body and reminded himself to be in a similar mind as when he meditated. The method to improve the quality and quantity...

The growth... The flow... It was harmonious with the current reality and the world. He could feel that his origin energy was circulating throughout his body, seeping to the deepest part of the body that he could not feel. 

'Shrouding Flow Cyclic Art!' Howell then recited the name of the origin cultivation technique in his mind. 

The art was for the practitioners to accumulate, cultivate, transform, and break to the higher power rank with their own origin energy. It was a method for individuals to get stronger without the need to form a pact with the beast. 

'Little Red...this art is for any people to become stronger without external factors, right?' Howell realized how big of a matter it was. In his civilization and the planet's history, there was no case of people transcending the extraordinary without beast taming pact. 

 

Even Howell only barely started and the origin energy in his body circulated better than when he manually did it. So he knew what a monstrous cultivation art this was. 

'It is because this art was found in the ruins of human civilization. And from the looks of it, this was created recently as there are no more people that even use this art.' Little Red had some evidence that led her to this conclusion. 

'What should I do with this?' Howell transmitted his thoughts and feelings to Little Red. 

'You are my Master. What you do with it is up to you. Everything Master does will have consequences so think about it while making a decision.' Little Red could only give advice as she could not make Howell understand some concepts. 

'Okay, thank you.'

 

Howell found out that Pure Concealer and Shrouding Flow Cyclic Art could complement each other as both the circulation paths were the same. 

'No, is it actually derivative from the art instead?'

The art was amazing as it gathered the origin energy, it also tempered it and made it a better quality. The only problem was it needed time for it to take effect on his body. 

'Slow and steady... I quite like it.' Howell gave a comment on the art and felt that it was suitable for him. 

 

He could feel that with every breath he took, his respiratory system and the extension of the entire body would eventually bathe in the physical tempering along with the flow of origin energy. 

Howell brought a bag worth of items. Most of them were Beast snacks, lunch which were compressed nutritional rations, and some basic tools for patrolling. 

Then he wore some body protection like armguards, gaiters, light armor as well as communication devices on his chest pocket. It was the equipment for Howell later but since he wanted to go to the border, Seth had no choice but to at least let Howell saw it earlier than the expected schedule. 

 

"Huu... I am ready. Little Red, you are ready as well, right?" Howell caressed Little Red's head which was covered with his self-created head gear. 

"I see that you are ready. I suppose you ask this because you are going to the wilderness outpost in the second semester. I remember that Olive High School's second-year curriculum to follow that time frame..." Seth was walking to the front door where Howell had waited. 

"Right on the take. I have to learn a thing or two about the world outside..." Howell bit his lips as he also said in his heart, 'I have to do this since Little Red apparently gave a hint about the trouble that will come soon. She could help me but I have to make the effort.'

Martha interjected, "Eat this first before you go..." as she brought with her the baked potatoes. Both Howell and Seth grabbed the food and ate it like a hungry wolf. 

 

-

 

They departed from the nearest gathering point that Seth and his group usually used. A 4WD modified Jeep was used as the transportation method. 

Howell of course used his Insight Eyes on the vehicle and the result... 

 

[4WD modified Jeep

A vehicle produced by Grunder Industries, a vehicle designed to cruise through more rough terrain as well as provide light support, mobility, and slight offensive capabilities. 

Materials included Magium, Diamond, Energy Jade, Origin Energy Stone]

 

Howell whistled when he looked at the materials. Magium and Energy Jade were the materials that were hard to process in general. His Armament Smith class textbook had written something along the way that Magium was rich in nature but hard to process but Energy Jade was hard to find but easy to process in comparison. 

"This Jeep is good." Howell could not help but gave his heartfelt opinion. 

"Hahaha....finally someone who has the capacity to understand the beauty of this vehicle." A peal of cheerful laughter could be heard from the side of the Jeep as Howell moved his eyes to see the speaker. 

"Seth...is that your kid?" the person was quite familiar with Seth as the two did not have body language that signify repulsion or dislike.

 

"Of course he is! I told you many times that I will only bring him to this." Seth responded while opening his arms wide. 

"Or do you think I will let other people's children go with me on this? Hell no!"

"Ho, look at this proud man swaggering his child. On account that we are kind of brother-in-arms, I can assist him with this time patrol. The city mayor is handling some important matter from every bit of information I can get but some reinforcement has arrived faster than I expected!" both of them bumped their fist into one another after the hug and the man said something to Seth which made Howell surprised to see his father's slightly happy gleam on his eyes.

 

"Kid, I often heard about you from my pal. It just so happens that I am also on duty this time and I also want to see with my own eyes what kind of kid that can make my pal talk and brag so much." the man now turned to look at Howell and greeted him.

"Father bragged about me?" Howell pointed his finger at himself, could not even imagine that his father did such a thing. As far as he knew, his father rarely bragged to others. Either when he was at home or went together to go shopping, Howell had never seen it with his own eyes or heard it from his ears.

"And here I see that you even hide your bragging from your own child! Every time I hear you brag, I think my ear has some auditory problem." the man said before he picked his ear to emphasize.

 

"Shut up! Is it wrong to be proud of your own kid? No?" Seth glared dagger at the man and the two soon locked their eyes to each other.

"We should go. Otherwise, we will really be late." Howell looked at the time and hurried the two. For someone who used to do patrol duty, especially at a place where it bordered by wilderness, discipline was extremely important. The two men ended their staring contest and went up the jeep.

Then Howell sat at the back of the vehicle. He analyzed the origin energy flow and the structure of its engine, the materials to plate the vehicle as well as the wheels and weapons in it. He used Insight Eyes to do that and found some relevant concepts from his knowledge. Especially after using Shrouding Flow Cyclic Art...ideas kept appearing in his head waiting for him to realize them.

The destination was ten minutes by the vehicle but Howell only felt a small shake during the entire journey. The suspension of the vehicle was great as the road the vehicle tread was a dirt road with deep holes.

"This annoying man is my brother, Richo. When your father was in difficulties right after arrived in this place, he was the first person to help." Seth said while crossing his arms around his chest.

"Uncle Richo, are you by chance the one who gives some donation when Father is in a pinch?" Howell then remembered the time when he was here the first time and the family met with some financial difficulties despite their frugal lifestyle. His father was stressed but still calmly faced it for some time before someone helped him from his job.

"Heh, it was true. Who would have thought that your father is skillful and we are fortunate enough to have him here with us? Isn't that right!?" Richo yelled and Howell who sat at the back with the other members could hear their thunderous reply.

"I just want to settle down and live a leisurely life. But I really have to thank you for that. Otherwise..." Seth's expression became serious and even Richo stayed silent as both of them knew the context. It was serious enough that both of them kept it even not telling Howell.

 

'What exactly happened and what are they talking about?' Howell silently had an additional thing he wanted to know. Perchance, this was also related to his own secrets.

The jeep then stopped after they had a lengthy discussion of the news around the border. They also extensively talked about Howell which made him have to answer the questions from both Richo and the team.

"We arrived." Seth said before he turned around to face Howell and asked, "Do you know what we are doing here?"

"Maintaining security, gathering the movements of the beasts outside the safe zone, hunting for the beasts, cleaning up the beasts on regular period as well as looking for the opportunity to expand the territory. At least, that is what is written in the education book." Howell replied quickly because this was the only information he had at the moment.

"Not wrong but not completely right either. Very textbook-like answer." Seth pondered for a moment before he added, "Other than that, we are also adventurers. We are also looking for our own individual opportunity."

 

Howell then grasped the new information and then understood. Not everyone could go to the education institute like him and some of them looked for their own opportunity by going to the territory not secured by human settlements.

In this place, most of the land had been mapped but most of them also fell to the region untouched by humans. Howell understood from Little Red that some of the territory was actually the Beast Kingdom.

Kingdom created from intelligent beasts and also had a simple hierarchy and regulation established. Kingdom, Empire, Planet Ruler, and Star Sector...those were the estimated ranks for the order of the authority of the strong who ruled the others.

'But then does that mean...humanity in this place is on thin ice?' Howell thought of the possibility that the peace he had enjoyed his whole life was built on the sweat and even blood of his predecessors.

'Resources, capability, and information...I need to build them up in case there is more to this than meets the eye. I hope that my hypothesis is just fantasy.'

 

"Good. All of you, check your belongings one more time! The patrol's shift will end and it is our turn from this moment till midnight." Richo gave his first instruction and all of the team did exactly that. The check also served as the armaments function test in case some of them became malfunctioned during this time and were found immediately.

Howell then checked his armaments while Little Red had to change her position temporarily due to the fact that Howell had to inspect everything.

 

After that and everything was in good condition, the team walked a bit before they saw an outpost in the circular clearing. Howell also saw the building structure and realized immediately that the building was repurposed from the original ones. It was similar to the building of the villagers as the buildings were abandoned military facilities.

Howell could also perceive dozens of Beast Tamer who walked here and there. Most of them were Conscript Rank while the leader figure of some teams were low-level Commander rank. Accompanying them were their tamed beasts which made the situation a bit chaotic for the first timer.

Howell was used to the situation so he did not mind. Wrapped around his left arm, Little Red was releasing her detection ability to truly grasp the situation fully.

'Little Red, Shared Sense!'

'Master, be careful and adjust yourself.'

 

Howell knew that Little Red's sense was far stronger than ever so he had to prepare himself when he used this. His connection with Little Red then strengthened as Howell got the sense from Little Red. What he perceived was...different from usual.

Lots of new things he could see as well as the traces of something...ominous to him? In any case, he had to slowly adjust this and he even suppressed the shared sense to the lowest due to the huge difference in power rank but he still could perceive things he did not even know.

'Is this how you usually perceive things now?'

'It is more than this but for now, this sensation is a good start for master.'

 

2