Episode 2, Act 4 – Commercials
93 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Episode 2, Act 4 - Commercials

=-July 15th, 2022-=

Under the watchful eye of the production crew, the three of us fought against lab-grown Malice in our company park. The monsters used in commercials were designed for training rookies, and had the added effect of decreasing negative emotions in their environment; they were ideal for showing off the full power of a company's talent and events like parades.

The blob of nanobiotic dirt was slammed backwards by a strike from a familiar figure. I tried not to think about it-- not deeply. Olivia's power was distressing in a number of ways, and I still hadn't gotten used to the side-effects. Having to look at the faces of my former teammates was bad enough that it caused a panic attack during our first take.

After that incident, Olivia promised she wouldn't take it personally. I don't know if I believed her. Even so, my adverse reaction to her power could build into a trauma and make our job difficult. I needed to get over myself, over this. It's just...

The particular [Chronicle Spirit] she was using? She brought back memories I'd rather forget. Move past. They weren't real. Right? They can't be. I just had to remind myself that they were puppets. Images. Nothing can undo what happened to them. I think the [Chronicle Spirit] knew that, too, or she might have approached me. Maybe even talked to me. I don't know. She might have done something, if I wasn't freaking out.

Having exchanged her [Chronicle Spirit] for someone a little less impressive, Olivia was having some difficulty fighting our prey off. "It's not enough!" Olivia locked in combat with the Malice, dirt painted across her slim figure. She looked worn out; the Malice might be simulated, but the fatigue was real. This shoot had lasted for far longer than necessary, and this was the twenty-third nanobiotic organism we'd fought today. I gave a glance to Tabitha, who nodded in turn.

"There's nothing left for it..." My own voice was still and small. It would have to be fixed in post-production, but that wasn't news to Magimaid; I was a quiet woman on camera. "We'll have to use... Velvet Machine."

Personal size magiciandroids rush to join Tabitha's side as she poses, with a much smaller contingent joining Olivia. Only one pitiful machine hobbled to my side, more for form than function. I had barely any use for it; my fists could snap steel and my muscles could bend titanium. Even so, the client demanded I at least try to use a magiciandroid for the camera.

"Built for Directors and mundies alike, these protection droids are built with a magimagnetic core and holy silver alloy, perfect for dealing with pesky stains like you!" Tabitha handled the control baton masterfully, and her robots posed alongside her. I would never be able to sustain as many Extras in combat.

Directors were vital magical warriors, best suited for crowd management. They could control and empower mobs of people, turning them into Actors for a Scene, granting them the abilities of a Knight. We haven't had one of those in our talent pool for a couple of years; not since Demokitty failed to... fought honorably and saved civilians in the New York disaster.

"That's right! Using the power of democracy, we can overwhelm them with sheer numbers! That malice won't stand a chance!" Olivia's fists clang together. The [Chronicle Spirit] she wielded held sharp, spike-shaped knuckles, and a massive green tail spilled out from her back. Sharp green lines decorated her cheeks, and green cat ears twitched on her headband. More, smaller cat-ears were subtly worked into her uniform, contrasting their colors with  Olivia's own lime green maid dress.

In a tasteless fit of irony, Demokitty was the magical warrior that Olivia was channeling right now. It made sense; the droids that Velvet Machine provided for us were best utilized by a Director. If Olivia could tap into Demokitty's experience, she could utilize considerably more Extras than she might be able to normally.

I still felt sick to my stomach. Seeing Demokitty smile like that, with Olivia's face. A smile I hadn't seen since New York. A smile I hadn't realized I missed. I had to shove the tears back down, focus intently on the naniobioto-whatever-the-fucks. Throwing myself into work had staved off these thoughts before. Losing myself in my art would have to do for now.

"Mad Dog, gimme a boost!" Demokitty beamed, lifting up a leg up high. I had to let my hair drape over my face, hide my expression. I knew what she wanted; we had practiced it a thousand times before. I nodded, quickly, earning another radiant smile from her, and slid into position. My kneesocks grazed the grass beneath us, and I felt the weight of her sole in my palms.

I lifted, all my strength poured into my throw. Demokitty went flying, and her extras were thrown with her. Demo Dragoon, one of her signature moves; all of the extras she was linked to would be flung vertically with her. Both her and her entourage began falling rapidly, wind spears extended outwards, and their earth-shaking strikes punched through waves of monsters. Clods of earth were thrown in every direction as they landed, their strength amplified by the added height I gave her... high enough to reach terminal velocity, and not a bit lower.

"Wow! I was able to draw out more than 120% the energy of the regular brand with these droids! Look at that damage!" Something felt so... irreverent about watching an amalgam of Demokitty and Olivia advertise for a product. I felt like destroying the little android cowering next to me. If the sponsors weren't watching, I might have. As it was, I was barely keeping my cool.

Some of the stragglers still remained, moving slower with their injuries. Tabitha was quick to follow up. "That's right, Nekromaid! These droids are powerful! With the special features loaded inside, we can access additional elemental attacks, for dealing with those hard-to-handle Malice in our day to day lives!" At her command, a rainbow of magic fired into the crowd. The streams of fire, ice and blood overwhelmed the remaining nano-blobs, expertly avoiding splashing Olivia with their waves of elemental energy.

"With Velvet Machines," Tabitha called out... putting her hand in the middle. I joined her, mouthing the words. Olivia had no problem yelling alongside her. ""We have the power!!!"" I hid my face from the camera and sopped up my tears with an errant sleeve. I made it. It was over. 

"And... cut! That's a wrap! You did great, Olivia!" The crew sighs in relief and disperses. Time for days of editing hell and cleanup with special effects. Tabitha beams and smiles at the rookie actress, only for Olivia to shake her head and sigh.

"It's Nancy right now, actually. Of all the irresponsible things, Tabby, I can't believe you actually became a magical girl." Olivia or Nancy spoke, her voice and face still a foreign mix of the girl I once knew and the one I...

"Oh, holy shit. Wait, is the afterlife real?" Tabitha blinks. I bite my tongue, simply glaring at the thing. The [Chronicle Spirit] pretending to be Nancy, or as she's better known, Demokitty.

"Uh, sort of? It's hard to explain. I guess I'm not Nancy, but some kind of specially tuned artifact with her memories and personality? But that still won't stop me from chewing you out!" Not-Nancy stomps. "Seriously! That's the dumbest thing you could have ever done, right after making a deal with Malty!"

Thanks, Nancy.

"You're welcome, Madster. For real." Not-Nancy folds her arms. "Is this about Madster? Because that ship has sailed. She's going steady with Bea now."

I didn't need to hear this, see this. Think about this. On second thought, I'll just go. "Madster?"

"Oh, shit. Uh. You didn't know? I guess that makes sense, speaking of timelines." Tabitha tries to find the words. "Beatrice... she's moved on. She moved on just two months after you did."

I try to leave. Try not to think about this, try not to focus on this. My legs carry me as far as I can go, but some bitter part of me hangs back. I can't help it.

I just can't run away and leave her like this.

Torn between staying, and going, my perspective frays.

 

=-💣-=

 

I feel like the biggest asshole in the world right now.

Okay, yeah, I probably should have taken the hint, but I was never really good at guessing what's going on? The only reason I got picked to be a Director was because I was kinda bossy. And loud. And obnoxious. According to Chii, my only other option was becoming a Woven, and she really didn't want me going down that route, for some reason.

Where was I? Right. No. Ugh. I think I just made Madster cry.

It wasn't my fault, okay? How was I supposed to know Bea would bite it without me? If I knew things were gonna be that bad, maybe I would have tried to hang on. I don't think it's my fault? But maybe it is. I don't know. I was always good at managing the crowd, what if? Uuugh. That's the worst line of thought EVER.

As long as Bea didn't eat dirt trying to protect civilians it's probably not my fault? I feel bad that I'm even thinking about this. Like, your friend dying isn't supposed to be something you try to pass blame for, is it?

Maybe my whole 'being dead' thing has something to do with it, too. Like, hearing Bea is dead sucks. Madster's probably crying. Ugh. And I can't do anything about it, because I'm dead, and if I go there, then she'll be crying because it's me, and then I'll be crying because she's crying, and we'll both need a third person, but what if they cry and now I've spent my entire Scene allotment in tears.

I don't want to waste all my time doing that; it's rude to occupy your Historia's body for too long. Not that Livs has much say in it? She knew what was happening when she signed up for a little Demokitty action. I get control of her body, she gets my powers. Win win. I want to spend my time eating and catching up, but there's,  like, rules to this stuff?

Rules?

Oh god. What if I died and became a Neverlander? Oh, god, I'm a Neverlander, aren't I? This is, like, the worst news ever. I'm probably not even Nancy, I'm just some Neverlander with the concept of Nancy? Uuugh. Madster probably hates me even more now. Nooo.

"--so before you get up on your high horse--" Tabby's voice makes me snap out of my bad mood. Oh! Right, we're having a conversation!

...oh, oh that's not good. Tabby's been talking.

While I was not paying attention. Uh.

What's she been going on about? I'd love to tune in but I feel like if I do, she's going to notice I haven't been paying attention? Even though I'm lecturing her, it still feels like I'm the one that's being lectured.

My mouth has just been running on total autopilot, huh?

Shit, shit. She's talking about training now.

(Tabby said "I've been around you and yours since high school. I've practically trained for this moment. I thought it through, okay? Get off my case.")

Oh! Thanks, brain. "I'm not getting off your case about this. This was... dumb. Super, ultra, mega dumb. Madster is probably worried to death about you."

Where was I? Right. So, I wonder if I can swing by and get tacos or something before handing this body back to Livs. Wait, is that rude? I haven't asked if she has any allergies or anything, but I'm pretty sure she's a vegetarian.

(She's a pescatarian. Fish tacos are probably fine.)

Thanks! I can taste the cod now. I am loving this body. I'll have to let Livs dip into the war chest I buried in Jenna's garden to thank her for this. Shit, is Jenna still around and kicking? I hope she is. She's a sweet girl and doesn't deserve this whole being dead thing.

(Tabby just asked what you're doing after this.)

"Going for fish tacos. You in?" I beam at Tabby, and she rolls her eyes.

"Sure. I'll pay, as thanks for your help on the set today. Meet before six at the garage?" Tabitha digs around in her bag for something. A phone, maybe. 

Wow, I am on a roll today. I think I just scored a date, and I wasn't even paying attention. I'm getting everything right! It's almost like having a mini-Madster in my head. God, I miss that. I could zone out all I wanted around her. Oh, crap, I've zoned out again. She's looking at me and expecting an answer.

("Meet before six?" And Madster wouldn't appreciate me using Livs' body to go on a date.)

"Absolutely. Seeya!" I smile and wave, headed out to the limo. The... wait, Madster, is that you? Oh, shit. How long have you been here? Hi! Hey! Are you feeling better?

(I ask too many questions and don't give Madster time to respond. I should slow my roll.)

Sorry!

(As for Madster, she doesn't know how she's feeling. She was mad, but it was hard to hold her anger in the face of my airheadedness. Now she's just... tired.)

Hereditary trait, really. You've met my mom. You know how she, uh. Oh, Mom! I should give her a--

(I probably shouldn't give Mom a call.)

Why not?! She hasn't heard from me in like, a while!

(Since I died; precisely the reason why. If I call Mom, act like I'm there again? I'll just give her false hope that I'm there. Worse, Mom might try to kill herself so she could speak to me again, or something similarly drastic. We know what Mom is like. Madster's seen her at my funeral, too.)

I don't think that's how it goes, Madster. I think she'd really appreciate hearing from me again. I mean, I'm her daughter. I mean the world to her. Mom means the world to me.

(It's been two years. Whatever I want to think of myself-- a Neverlander, a ghost, an artifact-- I've been dead for two years. That wound is fresh in Mom's mind, but it's healing. If I call her, I'll just. Rip it open again.)

Yeah, but, isn't having someone talk to you from beyond the grave the perfect use of Livs' powers?

(Five minutes ago I was thinking the perfect use of Livs' powers was to get fish tacos, because I liked tacos. I should think about it, at least, or give Livs time to look into it.  Mom's going to see the advertisement.)

Ah. Yeah, mom probably will. I guess I should save that conversation for if she chooses to reach out? I'll make sure Livs keeps an open line of communication. To Mom, I mean.

(As long as I actually think about it. Instead of the usual.)

You're right. Sorry, Madster. Feet running ahead of my brain again. I'll just try to finish some of the TV shows I never saw the ending to.

(One more thing; Madster is joining me for tacos.)

Gasp. Madster socializing?! Is the world ending?

(No, it already did. Madster just needs to make sure that I don't start kissing Tabby in Liv's body.)

Oh, dude, you know I was excited to kiss Tabby from the get go. This isn't fair!

(Life isn't fair. More importantly: Olivia is M I N E. I will not have her kissing Tabby. Do I understand?)

Holy shit. She can make a creepy roar in my head now. Uh. That's new. I mean. Y, Yeah. U-understood, Madster. No kissing Tabby.

(Good. Perceive me later.)


3/2 chapters for this week! Oh my GOSH! We blazed past the #900 rank in the Psychological genre, readers-wise! I care about each and every one of you who grabbed this book off the shelf and can't wait to hear what you think! But before that... I think you all deserve a treat. You do! Since we hit such an important milestone, I drew something pretty for you! Our next goal is 38 Readers or #90 Ranking in the Magical Girls tag (I'm at #92 right now!!!)! If you wanna help, tell your friends about your fave webnovels! Make sure to include me! Ehehe. 

(Olivia Mueller; art by me!)

I convinced one of my proofreaders, Orlon, to join Scribblehub! They're an amazing writer, and they're a big part of why this story flows as well as it does. Ode to Fallen Angels is great; there's queer themes, religion, characters struggling with gender identity and DEMIHUMANS!

Looking for another magical girl related work to sate your appetite? I am obsessed with Nowhere Stars by Anemone_NS right now. I've been working on my setting for long a while now, but reading Nowhere Stars is what pushed me to start my own magical girl story. They absolutely do monsters much better than I do, go check them out!!!

If you like my work, check me out on Twitter! I'm only marginally more wild than the things I write! Interested in learning more about the Neverlands? You can visit me and ask all the questions you like at my Discord! You can also catch me on Twitch and Youtube. I'm not streaming at the moment, because I've been writing like crazy. It would make my day if you could follow me on Youtube, though! ;w; I'm still not at that fabled 100 subscriber mark... that's when I get my own channel link.

6