Chapter 13: An Invitation
2.2k 7 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tomoe-senpai then walked over to me, striding with confidence. "How about you take a few swings while you're here? I'll turn the speed down for you—at least."

"Well... um... I haven't really swung a bat before," I admitted to Tomoe-senpai. The prospect of trying out an unknown sport never crossed my mind before. It was outside my usual routine to play...baseball or any other sport, really for that matter.

A devious glint glimmered in Tomoe-senpai's eyes. Her features resembled those of a naughty fox—a crafty smile twisting on the edges of her lips. She glanced up at me through her long lashes and announced in a relaxed tone. "Not to worry. I'll help you out!"

"...Fine..." I caved, dropping my shoulders dejectedly. "I can try it out a bit."

Tomoe-senpai took a step toward me and handed me her bat. With a nod of her head, she turned to the pitching machine and adjusted the speed before shuffling over to her place next to me and waiting for me to take the swing.

"Do your best, kouhai!" said Tomoe-senpai with an encouraging smile as she stood across from me and gave me a wink.

I smile back at her, relaxing my shoulders as I wait for the ball—trying to imagine how a right-handed baseball player would stand. My heart fluttered inside me; so nervous was I about taking my first swing.

The ball flew at me fast and suddenly. I could feel the breeze of its movement when it passed me. There was a momentary delay, and then I heard the solid contact of the ball hitting the metal frame behind me. I had completely missed the ball... my swing had been way off course!

Tomoe-senpai quietly laughed to herself at my misfortune as she clapped her hands gently. "That was close—you almost connected!" Her voice came out more like a pleasing purr than words.

I sulk at her teasing. I didn't want to play baseball in the first place, but then again, it would be more embarrassing if I said that now. So instead of saying anything, I simply sigh.

"Ah-ha ha, there's nothing to be sad about," laughed Tomoe-senpai as she approached me. "I'll show you what a proper swing is like." With a proud gait and a slight smile gracing her lips, she proceeded to stand directly behind me. My spine tingled as she pressed against me from behind, cradling my wrists; her breath caressed my neck with a gentle warmth. It was so sudden—she held both of my trembling hands in her own, steadying them. "Just relax..." her voice whispered in my ear, a subtle sound, yet it sent shivers down my back. Her delicate fingers pressed the small bones that hold my right wrist in place.

I leaned away from her at the sudden touch, only to have her bring me closer again with her palms, lifting my arms as I squirmed on the spot. "The bat needs to be lined up with your target... I'm just trying to help you make contact." She brought me closer until her chest rubbed against my back—there was no longer any space between us.

"T-That is...you are too close!" I stutter out, unable to bear such intense intimacy for a moment longer. She's standing so close, touching me through our clothes! With every passing second, she squeezed my hands tighter and took pleasure in making it difficult for me to relax. My face grew redder as she gently but firmly restrained me.

"...Here it comes, Hiroshi!" her breath tickled my neck as she gently coaxed, whispering into my ear. Her thumb stroked the inside of my wrist with a velvet touch—each brush of her hand urging me on with a firm grasp. "Aim up." Her hands guided me toward my target. She urged my arm upward as if repositioning my hand so they lined up with the hitting zone.

My heart raced and sweat prickled on my skin as the tension mounted—my throat tight, voice hoarse. The ball came faster, and my timing was still off, but I finally managed to connect with it, albeit barely; the ball stuck the end of the bat before it flew and hit the cage.

"There you go!" Tomoe-senpai cheered, releasing her grasp from my wrists as she stepped away from me.

I straighten up and fix her with a furious stare. The angry look on my face is followed by a deflated pout as I furrow my brow.

Tomoe-senpai held her hands up in front of herself to calm me down, her expression softening into an apologetic smile—a tired expression on her face. "I was just trying to show you how to hit the ball, kouhai. It was nothing serious." She looked at me with upturned eyes that looked like they were begging me to forgive her. "Please don't get mad. I'm really sorry..."

"I-It's fine...I understand," I mutter awkwardly before flailing my hand in the air as if to dismiss her apology. In truth, I found it a bit embarrassing how easily I let her touch me.

I had let myself be swept away by the flow of our conversation and forgotten about the fact that we were just friends, being influenced by the intimacy of the moment.

Coupled with her athletic build and kind personality, she ticked off most of the boxes of the type of person I wanted to date. Now that I think back on it, it wasn't hard to imagine why I'd let my guard down.

The rest of the pleasant morning proceeded while I let myself be carried along on her enthusiasm. From talking about her various activities, she apparently enjoyed many other things aside from baseball—mountain climbing, going camping, paragliding, and surfing, to name a few. She once went on a three-day trip to Mount Fuji's summit to mountain climb. As such, we spent the morning attending all the attractions at the stadium before we decided to call it a day.

"Do you want to head back first? Or...if you're planning on shopping, there's no better place than the Tokyo Dome City Shopping Mall." The afternoon sun shined against my cheeks. We were just about to head back when she suggested shopping.

Remembering the writing materials that I needed for Mayumi-sensei's assignment, I agreed to go along with her suggestion.

The next couple of hours were spent browsing through the bookstores at Tokyo Dome City, and we ended up having lunch in the food court inside. After we were done with my shopping and ready to head back, hefting a pack full of books, I was dropped near my apartment by my senpai on her bike.

"Let me help you carry those..." she offered as she saw me struggling with the heavy load of books.

"Thank you, senpai... they are quite a bit heavier than they look—you really saved me from burning my legs carrying them up those stairs!" I responded with a relieved laugh and accepted her offer.

"Oh, come now, it's no big deal at all," she replied with a broad smile. "I'm just glad that you agreed to go on a date with me," she added with a relaxed smile. She continued, "A nice change from having to deal with all the gloomy feelings I had about the upcoming tryout, I suppose."

Feeling contented at having been helpful, I simply nodded along as I led her up the stairs to my apartment room.

"Well, thank you for the date Tomoe-senpai," I said softly, offering my appreciation while we stood before my door.

"I enjoyed it more than I expected," I added. "I really hope you go ahead with your tryout—you deserve it...and I have faith in you!" I made a little fist and pumped it against the air.

A glint sparkled within her dark eyes as she dropped my bag of books on the floor. Before I could register her course of action—before I was even aware of the situation—my wrists were suddenly trapped in her powerful, firm grip. My eyes went wide in shock as she pinned my hands against the wall above my head.

"Now, what am I going to do with you?" She looked at me through those stormy gray eyes of hers. The curve of her lips hinted that she might be thinking about kissing me.

Any plans of mine that included telling her off fizzled when I realized that it would require me to open my mouth to say anything and thus leave myself defenseless in a precarious position. Her face appeared flushed as she leaned forward ever so slightly—a sly smile gracing her full lips. I felt like a rabbit facing a wolf.

Despite her actions, I held onto the tiny bit of hope that she would realize how inappropriate she was being and stop—that she would regret doing this and apologize profusely, maybe even make up some kind of excuse...

"Next week...Sunday..." She gazed at me intently. Her face was centimeters away from mine as she exhaled slowly, letting the air from her mouth caress my cheek. The world slowed down around us—my heart thumping. I could feel my muscles tensing involuntarily.

"The tryouts...be there..." She was breathing heavily but held herself in check. "Don't forget," she continued huskily. "I'll be waiting."

With that, she released me from her grasp, leaving me slumping down against the wall—both physically and emotionally exhausted. Gazing at her backside as she spun on her heel, she was already out of my line of sight by the time I let myself relax.

I had been caught completely unaware—stunned into silence by the sudden turn of events. But it did make me aware of something else; my perception of Akane Tomoe was wrong; the person I had known wasn't quite the same as what I'd been led to believe.

Please leave a review or rate the work if you find it worth your while. (•◡•) /

Thank you.

45