Chapter 16: First
2.2k 7 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The cinema hall we were attending wasn't quite filled, but it still had some people around us. Most of the seats were occupied by couples on dates. Yui Ishikawa and I sat side by side but some distance away from most of the other movie-goers.

Corner seating meant that there was no one behind us and that every seat around us was empty too. It was a comfortable atmosphere as we sat with her hand resting gently in mine. A breeze blew through the theatre, which was at a slightly chill temperature as well. The air smelled faintly of popcorn butter.

The movie she brought me to watch was a romantic comedy, something that I could never have expected her to enjoy. I always assumed women prefer the more serious films and action movies, not these kinds of frivolous 'boy' movies,' but clearly, I was wrong.

"We could've watched some more interesting stuff if it's what you're into..." I whispered to her as the movie had yet to start. "You don't need to worry about me being bored; I'm supposed to be here for your enjoyment..."

A bucket of popcorn rested on the empty seat beside me. She had bought it earlier before we came to watch the movie, so we didn't have to wait for the next interval when the snacks were sold.

"But... you know..." she glanced back at me, "I feel like this is just like how a real date would be. Just sitting next to each other watching a romantic movie together."

Her black hair brushed against my right arm as she sat on her side with her left hand holding my wrist in place; we both stared into the cinema screen. We were waiting for the opening credits to play.

If I recall correctly, the story is about a boy who quits his job to run off on a quest to find true love—or something like that. A typical fare for the romance genre of film. It's the kind of thing I'd expect to be shown in one of those romance movies with sappy dialogue and two leads that try to fall in love with each other while tackling obstacles along the way.

Even though I offered Yui Ishikawa an alternative to watching this movie, I still preferred to watch a good old-fashioned rom-com instead of some sort of highbrow action piece or political drama. So naturally, I wouldn't say no to watching a weepie film like that—just as long as it wasn't anything too extreme.

"Hiro," she spoke. " I hope you aren't put off by my neediness." She said with a deep sigh, "I'm sorry. As soon as the time limit of a month was up I requested your services again, but after our last date—" she started before her words trailed off as a short silence lingered between us.

I tilted my head to look at her, the dim lighting casting a shadow over her eyes. Yui Ishikawa stared right back at me, her black eyes shining; I could see hints of silver reflected from the lights of the cinema hall.

"I didn't really want to say it even though I knew already," she admitted with a voice low in tone, "but being with you like that, well, I don't know if there is another word for it..." Her voice sounded a little muffled; like she had bit down on her lower lip.

Her hand gripped my arm tight—she wasn't squeezing so much that it would hurt, but still, it was enough to send a mild amount of discomfort through the muscles in my arms.

"I...I am thankful you feel that way about me" I managed to speak back after struggling with my words and interrupting a possibly another confession from her. "I'll always do my best to give you the best experience possible as your rental boyfriend."

To avoid things getting out of hand between us, I made an effort to sound formal. But there was an underlying note of uncertainty to how I spoke—as though I was trying to convince myself as well. My response was genuine and came from the heart, yet something inside me wondered if my words were just another way of pushing away the feelings Yui Ishikawa stirred within me.

On our last date, her words had touched something deep within me—something I felt like I needed to contain. I was afraid of the possibility of letting my heart grow any stronger towards this woman, so I did my best to push away those feelings; perhaps it was my fear, but the words that came from my mouth sounded sincere enough on the surface—but were they honest?

There was an empty space of silence that lingered between us until Yui Ishikawa finally decided to speak again. Her voice was quiet like before; as though her lips weren't sure if they should open up to utter the words she wanted to say

Before her mouth was able to form the words she had been waiting for, the film began to flicker to life.

"...Let us just enjoy the movie," she suggested—a suggestion that I wasn't going to deny her.

Like a regular romantic comedy, there were plenty of sappy dialogues and the kind of contrived plot that I liked as well. Yui-san seemed happy to sit next to me; watching the film from her perspective in the darkness of the cinema hall. I wondered if she enjoyed herself watching the film too; after all, the plot was rather silly but also dramatic and entertaining in some parts as well.

But soon, a feeling of guilt swelled up from the pit of my stomach when I remembered how cold my words were. It was like a cloud of gloom had enveloped me—it choked every bit of fun I was having watching the film.

In a momentary attempt to mend my mistakes in not being able to properly convey what I felt without sounding cold or indifferent, I placed my head on her shoulders—as though I were her loyal lover, making up for my previous lack of care.

As I leaned into Yui-san's shoulder, a tremble ran through her frame; she let out a faint gasp—a moment later, she pulled me closer so that I was now nestled between her soft body and the back of her seat. Her black hair brushed against my cheek; its coarse texture pressed softly against my face. My own breathing seemed to echo in time with hers.

Lingering close like lovers would—we both sat still in our chairs; not a single gesture or movement was made by either of us. The claustrophobic space between us was only filled with the soft sounds of the film, Yui-san's breathing, and my own that slowly escaped from my lips.

The movie continued, unbothered by our actions, like the world around us.

In the midst of the drama taking place, there's a sudden shift as the female lead kisses the male lead; the action of the actor caught me off guard. An uncommon sight—as acts like these are usually reserved for the end of the film, where it shows that all their problems are solved through the film's conclusion.

"...Say, Hiro. Have you ever been kissed by another girl before?" Yui Ishikawa spoke, her voice faint and almost drowned out by the film's sounds and noises around us.

The next chapter will be on Saturday, at 10 PM CST.

38