Chapter 27: Finding the spell, part 1
37 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 27: Finding the spell, part 1

Fen watched with fondness as Daisy shaped a piece of paper into a flower with her mana. She was filling up her room with the flowers, and, would have gotten shiny bugs in her room as well, if Anmu had not said no.

The incubus took a glance at Eleric and Sebastian, who were talking by the table in the little girl's room. A tea set made of paper between them. For the little girl's sake, they would pretend to take sips from the cups. Daisy giggled each time they did so.

"Where are you going?" Eleric asked, when Fen stood up.

"I need to tell Karakon something. I'll be back, morsel. Daisy, be good now," Fen then turned around and walked out of the room. He found the dragon in his true form lazing before the house.

"Karakon, dear, can you please turn into a human?" Fen asked, and Karakon did so.

"Hungry?" Karakon allowed himself a smirk. It was not often that Fen searched for him alone when he was hungry.

"Not yet. I need to ask something of you, my dear," Fen shifted on his feet. He couldn't go alone, and he knew that Karakon was the strongest among them.

"What is it?" Karakon moved closer to Fen, and took the incubus's hands in his, when he reached him.

"Well, I have to tell you something. Eleric and Sebastian, they are precious to me. Yet, they are the only ones not immortal in my harem," Fen turned his blue eyes to stare into Karakon's caramel ones. They sparkled with hope.

"Eleric wants to grow old. I imagine that Sebastian wants the same," Karakon protested.

"I will be hurt, if they die, my love. You have to understand, Eleric is a part of my soul," at that, Karakon cursed under his breath.

"Why did you share your soul with someone who won't live as long as you?" The dragon had his eyes narrowed at his mate. Fen tried to smile, but then he bowed his head.

"He gave me a chance," Fen murmured. The words the undeniable truth.

"You will lose your mind, if he dies," Karakon spoke, his disapproval clear. "And, he doesn't want to stay in a house for long. One day, on a quest..."

"Don't say it," Fen snapped. "I heard about a spell in the Vermilion Island. Not far from Farnata."

"You want me to fly there, get the book, and come back?" Karakon asked. Fen nodded.

"If you care about us," Fen tried to begin to speak, but lips were pressed against his own.

"Never doubt that. I will get the spell. But I am taking Anmu with me," Karakon spoke. "If such spells are rare, then they are protected. I would need a healer."

"He will be overjoyed to go with you," Fen murmured against Karakon's lips. "Thank you. I know it is selfish of me to ask it of you, but..."

"Think nothing of it," Karakon kissed Fen again, and released him. "I'll go get Anmu, and we are going. Farnata, you said?"

"Farnata, yes," Fen said, and he watched as the dragon went back in the house. Karakon found Anmu in the back garden. Bent over a vegetable patch and weeding it.

"Beauty, we need to go fetch something," Karakon spoke.

"What is it?" The Naga asked, pulling at a particularly stubborn weed.

"A spell. I will tell you all about it when we get to Vermilion Island."

"This is about Fen's plan to extend Eleric's and Sebastian's lifespans, isn't it? Karakon, I told him and I will tell you. They would both be happier if they are given the chance to grow old," Anmu spoke, as he finally tugged the weed out.

"He shared his soul with Eleric. There is no other way to keep him sane, Anmu. You know that," Karakon looked pleadingly at the Naga. "If you don't come with me, I don't believe I could come back. There is no telling what sort of defenses there are around the spell."

"I will come with you, but they should be allowed to decide," Anmu insisted. He wiped his hands clean from the soil, and slithered to Karakon. "Are we flying to the island?"

"Must you ask?" Karakon told him with a smirk. "I will fly you anywhere you wish, just you ask."

Anmu smiled at that.

"I do love flying," the Naga told the dragon, who offered his hand to him. They got out of the house, and Karakon turned into his dragon form. He laid against the grass, so that Anmu could climb on top of his back.

When the Naga wrapped his tail around the neck, and took a hold of two of the back spikes, Karakon was off and into the air. With his massive wings, they were soon flying over fields, rich with golden wheat and sunflowers pointing at the sun.

Bellete was just a dot on the land, when they passed it. Then, for the first time, Anmu saw the Adamantine Sea in all its beauty. The azure waters looked like they were reaching out until the end of the world. The smell of salt filled his nostrils. Karakon flew lower, so the sprinkles of seawater could cool the Naga's tail.

Before Anmu knew what he was doing, he was laughing. He was not a sea serpent. Rather, an ordinary grass snake. Yet, this sight before him, of the fish swimming under the surface of the water. The colorful coral reefs underneath with their pinks and yellows and whites, must be his favorite one to date.

Farnata was not like Bellete or Sacro. There were no mosaics on the walls of the houses. Rather, there were paintings of the coral reefs and the sea on the houses.

"This whole city looks like a giant doll house," Anmu spoke, his amazement visible.

"You will see the entire world, if I have anything to say about it," Karakon took the Naga's hand in his, and led him in the direction of the inn. "But, for now, I do believe we need to rest. Farnata has hot springs to die for. You will love it here."

2