Chapter 23 “In The Garden”
1.7k 2 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Grace walked her way to the bench where William was sitting, and he moved to the side to give more room for her to sit down. The two sat together as they watched the tree and the artificial sky together on that night. There was only silence at that moment, a breezing feeling of a quiet night.

"Quite surprising that you would go to this indoor garden out of all the places on the site." Grace pondered.

William had a little bit of a chuckle, "Same goes to you. I suppose this isn't your first time going here, am I right? Any particular reason for it?"

Grace was silent for a moment, and then she answered, "I just like the atmosphere in here. A nice soothing and quiet place than anywhere else in the site." She then looked at him, "What about you? What brings you here?"

"My clearance is pretty limited to where I could wander on this site, and there aren't many interesting places I could go, so I ended up here. I guess you're right. It is quite soothing to be in here."

Grace then looked at the ID Card that was on William's neck, "Did Dr. Erik give you that as his reward?"

"Yeah, It ain't much, but it's better than nothing, I guess. Being cramped up in that room 24/7 could get you crazy, white walls everywhere, you know?" William then took a sip of water from the bottle he brought from the canteen.

William then looked at her, "What about you? What did you get from Dr. Erik? Owen told me that he got an extra minute for his break, which is good, I guess. I'm curious what he has to offer to you regarding the rewards."

She then looked up to the sky and smiled, "I won't tell you."

He sighed, knowing that he would get that response, and it didn't really shock him. He then drank the whole bottle and stood up to throw the bottle into the trash bin nearby. He sat back again on the bench with his hands over the back of the bench.

"So, where do you come from?" asked William.

"From here."

William was a bit annoyed by her response, "No, I meant like where do you live? or born, you know."

She then chuckled for a moment, "Why do you want to know me? I'm just a typical person like any other that was born and lived in this world."

Grace looked at him, "Shouldn't I be the one who's asking that, knowing you're really mysterious?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"My Clearance Level is high enough to know any information regarding you since the Foundation has written one or two things about you in a document because you're an SCP. They said that your origin is unknown. There is no information or records about you in this world, which makes it really mysterious if you think about it."

William didn't answer anything and just focused his gaze on the sky as he listened to Grace's words, "Maybe we started off on the wrong foot when we first met at that warehouse. Of course, no hard feelings because I only do what I need to do since it is part of my job."

She paused for a moment and then continued, "But what got me thinking about that night was, what were you doing in that building that night? Because one thing is for sure, that warehouse is not a place for normal people to be there. Of course, we're suspicious about you being there."

William then asked her, "Suspicious? Why?"

"Knowing the dead body that was found on the lobby desk, we've taken an assumption that you had a quarrel with him in that building. Things like that tend to happen amongst that group, and so we thought you're the one behind it."

William didn't do that at all, and he knew very well that the person was already dead by the time he found the body. But it got him thinking, if it wasn't him, then who? If it was really one of the Chaos Insurgency members that killed their own comrade, why would they do that?

He could only sigh since he didn't know anything about it, "To be honest, I don't know. Would you believe me that I somehow just transported from another world and then just ended up in that building, then caught in the web between your guys' missions?"

"I wouldn't say that I don't believe it since this is a world that is full of weird things happening at once. It's a possibility, but neither you nor I can prove that." said Grace as she laughed to brush it off.

He answered, "I guess so. That doesn't really matter anymore anyways. Knowing that I'm here, I could just spend my days here without having to worry about anything in my life. Though, it is a bit dangerous to live in a Foundation site knowing shit could happen any second."

They laughed together, trying to just enjoy the night without having to worry about any other things that were happening around them, even if it was only for a moment. Because one thing is for sure, no one would know what's going to happen next, and everyone should spend their time while they can.

A thought crossed William's mind, "Captain Grace. Shouldn't you be on your shift? I don't know what you do, but since Owen is on his shift right now, I thought you were too, knowing you guys are in the same field of work."

Grace shrugged her hands, "I'm not on duty right now. In fact, I'm taking a day off just for today. It shouldn't be much of a big deal since there's nothing to worry about because my replacement could handle the job for today. Hence why I'm here."

"Pretty reasonable."

Just as William said that, the ID Card on his neck started making a beeping noise. Which indicates that his time for today is over, and he should go back to his cell immediately.

"I think you should go back to your cell by the sound of it. You might get in trouble, knowing it's already late at night, and you should not be wandering around the site at this time." said Grace as she looked at the ID Card on William's neck.

William stood up from the bench, "Yeah, I should go now. It would be really shameful if my card were confiscated just because I don't follow the rules. Nice to meet you, Captain Grace. I hope we can see each other again someday."

He ran through the exit door hastily, and Grace waved her hand, "See you next time, be careful on your way out."

William made his way through his cell since it was past his free hour time, running through the hallway and making it into the containment area where his room was located. He opened the door with the ID Card and went to the room.

He was satisfied and happy for today, where he could go wander around the site for a breather, meet some people and take his time, even if it's only a few hours. He was a bit tired for today and just went straight to his bed to go through the night.

With excitement in his mind, he couldn't wait for the next day to come when he would spend his day again with the others.

==========

You can read up to 18 Chapters before its release on patreon.com/Enachia !

44