Chapter 1 – Edgar Jr Harvey’s 30 day log. (Part 1)
509 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Disclaimer: This is an alternate reality of earth(Obviously), so if any names or looks coincide with our reality, just know that it is a coincidence and that I had no intention of offending you or anyone else.

I have also edited the ending of the prologue. Now, she mentions the games and that she is taking 100,000 random participants.

Enjoy.

Edgar Jr Harvey, named after his late granduncle who fell during the Vietnam war, also known as Eddy by his friends, is an unremarkable 22-year-old post-graduate college student with a bachelor's degree in construction engineering in a local public college, being top 3 in his batch.

Eddy is a man of regular build, average looks, normal fitness levels of a man who regularly jogs and hikes, above-average intelligence, and some social skills and charisma, having one permanent friend named Alex, a small achievement in the year 2022, an age where your average 7-year-old is possibly more connected to his smartphone than reality.

Like every average person, Eddy also has some hobbies. Among them, he likes jogging and trekking and watching survival shows on Netflix, and he is a fan of building things, including day-to-day tools and niche things.

Eddy likewise has a few life skills. He learned carpentry from his father and was in the Sequoia council boy scouts from the age of 7 to the age of 15, learning some essential survival skills in the wild. He also liked all kinds of spear-throwing techniques, including the ancient ones, such as using an atlatl. He even likes to build primitive tools in the wild from scratch that he saw in online tutorials, just for the heck of it.

Eddy, like many other people, also has quirks. For one, he hates ball games. He also has a certain dislike for politics and is highly opinionated, believing voting is pure bullshit orchestrated by some old-moneys to create the illusion of choice1The left and the right choice of a cow before a slaughterhouse., that the green-house effect is over-exaggerated2Kinda, probably, maybe?, the world is run by stupid shit-throwing monkeys3LOL, the UN is a joke spearheaded by Pakistan and the Arab league4Arguably true, that China is a post-indoctrination nation filled with authoritarian communistic a-holes5As Towely from Southpark says, "Fuck the Chinese government". That said, I love China, just not Winnie the pooh, that the Arab-Israeli6Not Palestinians Conflict is ridiculous7It is, but it is also more complicated than that, and that Palestinians being Refugees after 70 years is even more ridiculous8It is, but again, it is more complicated than that. I blame the British for appointing Mohammed Amin al-Husseini as Grand Mufti of Jerusalem(Forefather of the Palestinian movement and the one that started this mess, also a chummy buddy with Hitler and part of the reason the "final solution" was created in the first place, hence ironically also the root cause of hastening the founding of Israel), the UN for being kiss-ass idiots, and the Arab alliance for being afraid of Palestinian Hijrah(A holy theme in the Islam since Prophet Muhammad did it), and the Russians for the cold war effort against the US for this fuckfest, honestly. and is a bottomless drainpipe on working taxpayers' money to fund terrorism and corrupt Palestinian leaders.9Over $40B adjusted to today's currency in support money until today. That's a lot. It's just sad that hundreds of millions go to corrupt leaders and billions into purchasing weapons and building tunnels, leaving only non-lucrative support money(In the form of hospitals, educational material, food, etc) that makes them want to continue being refugees(Because, hint, it's lucrative). As for US military support of Israel giving around $3.8B annually(2019) in the form of defensive military equipment aid? They get to support their weapon industry, get access to Israeli R&D, get a beachhead in hostile territory, and a few other benefits. Besides, Israel is the only democracy in the middle east, so it is bound to be more connected with the US than the Palestinians(Everyone hates them, basically. Those who don't hate them are very likely to say it because they hate Israel and/or Jews more). If you still have qualms, ask yourselves, why the hell does the US support Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, India, Jordan, Lebanon, Kuwait, and Turkey? Have you ever thought of pointing a finger at them?

He comes from an upper-middle-class family living in Fresno California, his father being a well-to-do master carpenter and his mother a nurse in a private maternity hospital.10Master carpenters earn a lot, and you will be surprised at how many women need to do a Caesarean section

He also has a brother serving in the army over at Fort Bragg in North Carolina, and he used to have a girlfriend but broke up with her for some personal reason, so he is now a bachelor.

Overall, Eddy is your average 22-year-old healthy young American man in the prime of his life, full of ambition, and ready to embark on his journey as a grown-up adult.

Just over a month ago, Eddy was about to start his internship as a construction engineer and officially begin his career life, finally getting a job and going independent.

However, some things don't go as planned.

 

Eddy's POV:

Day 1:

On July 2111Yep, on a hot summer day, over a hundred giant alien ships blotted out the sun from high orbit. The aliens then hacked into all of earth's servers and media outlets and claimed that they are the "Undisputed rulers of the galaxy and the Imperium of mankind" and that "They lay claim to our planet", giving earth three days to surrender or not.

Earth's leaders, being the stupid shit-throwing apes they are, didn't think about surrendering to a far more highly advanced alien human race with over a hundred sci-fi-level giant space ships and risk losing their power(So fucking typical), and instead decided to "Smartly" send others to fight the invaders while they were hiding in their Nuclear-proof safety bunkers(VERY brave).

There was a mass panic on the streets as people rioted, shops were robbed and vandalized, and people bought preserved food and bottled water in bulks, my dad and I included. We only managed to buy half a month's worth. Added with the pre-existing food in the house, about a month's worth for three adults.

I and many other people could already guess that Earth was fucked. That day, I tried to beg my brother Joe on the phone to come back home and not die meaninglessly, but Joe Harvey, like the stubborn bloke he is, did not listen to me and continued staying in his base and men.

Since there were only 3 days left until the supposed alien invasion, the US government also entered a state of emergency and issued a mandatory mass military conscription for all available reserve forces into the army. All non-reserve able-bodied men aged from 21-40 that do not work in the essential workforce are to join the militia. Both Alex and I, being non-working 22-year-olds, had to join the militia.

We were both given a uniform and as self-respecting Americans above the age of 21 were both expected to bring our weapons and ammunition from home. I brought my trusty Glock-19 and Alex brought his S&M M&P shield 9mm handgun.

We were assigned as a sort of neighborhood watch. I felt like Alex and I returned to the scouts again, just with guns and waiting for an inevitable alien invasion. Yay...

 

Day 2:

There were an increased number of robberies, vandalism, arson, and rape, half of which were done by the local street gang members. As Alex and I did our new routine patrol in the neighborhood that day, we even saw a police car chase with an actual shooting! One of the stray bullets even almost hit Alex! Luckily, I tackled him to the ground the moment I saw what was happening, so the bullet wheezed past above our heads instead of into our chests. I'm still slightly shaking with my close shave against death's door.

 

Day 3:

At night, some arsonist set old Mr. Burkins, my neighbor's house on fire while he was still inside. By the time the firemen arrived, he was already dead.

 

Day 4:

Most of the nuclear arsenals of earth got blasted by the aliens from orbit, using laser orbital strikes you only see in sci-fi movies. I didn't see it myself since I was asleep at the time, but I felt the earth tremor before the alarms rang. However, just a few minutes later, the aliens broadcasted the results on tv again, informing us that our nuclear option is off the table.

On that day, I called my brother again and begged him to get out of there before it was too late, but stubborn Joe responded by breaking his phone. Out of stress, I began biting my nails again, something that I stopped when I was eight.

 

Day 5:

All of the world's military bases were methodically captured and massacred of all personnel. The nearby national guard base was also captured. I could still hear the earth-shaking bang that came from that direction.

The aliens later revealed as a scare tactic(A very effective one, at that) that they dropped elite super-soldiers clad in giant power armors called the "Chosen" to capture and massacre all the major military bases in the world. My neighbor, Mrs. Byrd, became a widow that day with two small children and another eight months in the oven.

My brother, Joe, went missing in action on that day, but I knew that my brother was dead. I cried that night, my father opened his stash and got drunk for the first time in 27 years, and my mother entered denial as she kept working in the maternity hospital even harder with black bags under her eyes. Many women went into premature labor that day, including Mrs. Byrd.

 

Day 6:

The White House and the Kremlin were destroyed using orbital strikes, and the US and Russian presidents were dead. The aliens hacked into the tv stations again and showed it for everyone to see, disseminating despair.

By this point, the leaders of the militia and the police department realized that the war is lost and wisely decided that if the aliens invaded the city, then we surrender without a struggle. At the very least, they might treat us better. Most of the people silently agreed, including Alex and me. Those who still held some voices of resistance quieted down in the next three days.

 

Day 7:

Alex and I received a complaint about a foul stench coming from one of the neighbor's houses, a house of three. After we knocked on the door and nobody answered, we asked for a search warrant and permission to break the window from the police department. After we got permission(And they very nicely told us to be careful), we broke the window, vaulted into the house, and turned on the lights, only to reveal what could be described as a scene of struggle, with blood stains all over the floor, and a putrid stench of a dead animal in the stale air.

We found a trail of darkened and crusted-over blood on the parket that led to the basement as if someone dragged something in there. We both took out our guns, loaded them, removed the safety off, and then carefully entered the basement. After turning on the lights, we saw the source of the stench. We saw two Adult corpses. However, we still didn't see the corpse of the supposed child, so we went upstairs. We found the child, dead, sprawled on a bed.

Forensics later revealed that the two parents were murdered and the child was raped and then murdered, or the reverse, leaving behind plentiful amounts of DNA samples to deduce the culprit. It was also revealed that it happened two days ago and that the heat caused the corpses to decompose faster.

I had nightmares that night.

 

Day 8:

We found another corpse.

This time, it was a corpse of a female inside a garbage container. We again found her thanks to a report of a foul smell. It turned out that this one was a known drug addict and the cause of death is an overdose on crack. There were also signs of sexual intercourse, so she was likely engaged in sexual activity at the time of death and her partner got panicked so he dumped her corpse in the garbage container.

I think I'm growing numb to seeing corpses.

 

Day 9:

Alex killed a man today.

We both patrolled the neighborhood at night today when we saw two suspicious men trying to break into a house. Alex, being the hothead he is, didn't consult with me(As always) and decided to remove the safety on his loaded gun(At night watch we patrol with loaded guns) and shot in the air as a warning shot while yelling at them to scram. The two burglars didn't take kindly to it and drew guns and opened fire at us. We both immediately jumped to cover u behind a nearby Sedan, luckily avoiding getting shot.

As we held on to our respective handguns with pale faces and shaky hands, we suddenly noticed that the shooting stopped and that one of the assailants was running away.

As it turns out, the bullet that Alex shot before came back down and accurately hit one of the burglars on top of his head, killing him instantly.12U = mgh

After that incident, Alex suffered some emotional damage and started blaming himself, so I had to comfort him until he calmed down.

Alex has always been like that, tough on the outside, a softy on the inside. He also has a weird-ass knack for getting into unlikely and life-threatening situations, and just as easily getting out of them, often dragging me, his best friend, into them. Nevertheless, I could never have asked for a better bro than him.

 

Day 10:

Earth's defenses have been almost completely dismantled. The navies were crushed, the air forces obliterated, and the ground forces were broken. Only then did the alien's main forces enter our world, basically to sweep away all remaining resistance.

They were a mixture of ground troops armed with alien laser and plasma guns far more advanced and more powerful than an automatic assault rifle and armored in full-body armor that was better than any existing bullet-proof body armor on earth. They also escorted many armored vehicles, including futuristic tanks and troop carriers, and air support in the form of smaller futuristic aircraft able to fire lasers and plasma cannons capable of destroying an entire house with one shot.

They occupied the conquered military bases and took the supplies as their own, including the nearby national guard base.

 

Day 11:

The Aliens in the national guard base arrived at Fresno with a delegation of 200 alien soldiers, a tank, a troop carrier, and some sort of small futuristic aircraft, and their supposed commander communicated with us using a translation device and demanded our unconditional surrender, and we agreed without question. It might sound ridiculous that a population of over half a million with around 15,000 armed militia surrendered to 200 soldiers, but that was the fact. The soldiers were just a polite formality. It was the threat of orbital strikes and those "Chosen" still stationed in the nearby military base that made us surrender. We were not insane or stupid enough to think for a second that the aliens won't bombard us to kingdom come if we made too much trouble for them. Even if they didn't, they could just send those "Chosen" to kill us all.

Of course, there were also a few suicidal idiots that thought it was a wise idea to attack them. One of the assailants managed to shoot a full-metal-jacket buck-shot into the chest of one of the aliens and was immediately gunned down. The shot alien in question got up five seconds later while patting his chest, seemingly unharmed and his armor suffered only a minor paint scratch. It was then that we learned that medium conventional weapons can't harm them, and solidified our resolve to not piss them off.

As if cementing that discovery, the Aliens demanded that we hand over all explosives, large caliber guns and bullets, and all armor-piercing rounds, and let us keep all other weapons for self-defense and militia work.

Although I hate them for killing my brother, I have to admit that they were rather methodical and understanding toward citizens. Perhaps they already view us as their citizens, and the only reason they started this "war" was an elaborate excuse to remove any unwanted elements from us(IE, corrupt leaders, bad religions, crime syndicates, resistance movements, etc.)

 

Day 12:

The aliens left today, leaving 100 soldiers to supervise the city and the police and militia. They took a very lax approach with us and made very few demands, mainly to supply fresh food and water for them to consume(Which was an insignificant amount compared to our over half-a-million population) and to reside in the mayor's office.

They also let the normal operations of the city continue, and there were no power or water outage. As a result, over half of the militia was disbanded and allowed to return to their normal lives and continue working.

Alex and I, being Jobless and still relatively young, had to continue the militia work, however.

On a side note, the aliens started methodically eliminating organized crime in the city. It seems like they got orders to eliminate any usurping elements, and crime syndicates and street gangs are included. I hear that the aliens took the forefront in the raids while the police provided backup.

 

Day 13:

Cruel, Methodical, Productive, yet Humane. This is what I learned about the Aliens today.

They have already eliminated half of the street gangs in the city, either executing those who fought or capturing those who surrendered and didn't fight back. Those captured were collared with what I could only call "Electric Dog Collars" and were sent to work in menial labor. If they refused to work, then they would be given an electric jolt.

They also segregated the prisoners in jail and prison into groups, and sentenced them according to their crimes, from Labour to the death penalty, without an exception.

They also showed compassion, however. I saw with my own very eyes an alien soldier kneeling in front of a crying kid, opened his backpack, took out a teddy bear(Yes, a teddy bear), gave it to the kid, and patted his head.

It was then that I realized that they, too, were Human beings with feelings and emotions, just like us.

 

Day 14:

The aliens finished removing all gangs from the city, garnering some approval and fear from the populace.

 

Day 15:

Sacramento has been conquered, and California is now officially in Alien hands.

The aliens also sent medics to the cities and started implanting biochips into the back of our heads with some sort of special injection gun. From the alien's mouths, it is our new citizenship "card", and all the alien citizens and soldiers have one.

With little choice, I and my family were injected with the bio-chip at the back of our heads. It hurt less than an injection. I am now citizen number 27XKYFPMDBJ138,117,975,447,658,991 in base 36 of the Vrax Empire.

They then directed us to a new information website they opened on the internet(Yes, they control the internet now, and they mastered our programming languages to boot), where we can get general information about the empire, and why they invaded us.

There are over 8 quadrillion citizens in the empire it seems, with millions of colonized planets, gigantic space stations, and artificial planets. Some worlds hold insane amounts of population, potentially reaching the trillions, with Holy Terra(The alien home world) itself housing over 100 trillion. They are called Megapolis worlds, as they hold huge cities that dwarf others and thrive on insanely large amounts of factories and production. However, in Megapolis worlds, the population is insanely high and the air is polluted beyond saving, and there is little to no room for plants, so they need agricultural worlds or agri-worlds for short, planets whose sole purpose is to grow food, to supply food regularly to the Megapolis worlds.

Our planet is also apparently a paradise for human habitat compared to other worlds, possessing a golden ratio between land-mass and ocean, and is likely to be designated to be a so-called "paradise world". That is also why our planet is treated much more kindly compared with other worlds.

I shudder to imagine how horrible it is for other planets if our planet is considered a paradise.

They also revealed that they invaded us because they discovered that within a hundred years we would destroy our own biosphere and cause our own extinction...

Welp, I was wrong. Global warming really is a big deal.

9