Chapter 28: Through the mist
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 28: Through the mist

Thea sat on her rocking chair in the living room. She had knitting supplies with her, and she let the action lull her to a calm state. Her daughter, Rhea, had told her that Beth was coming to visit. Who Beth was, Thea had no idea. But Thea always liked visitors.

A car pulled before the driveway, and Rhea went outside to greet the visitors. Thea kept on knitting. She was certain that whoever it was, would come and see her. It was only polite. Besides, her bones were not like they used to be. She found standing up hard, these days.

The front door opened, and she could hear Rhea's voice.

"Mom has been better. She has been knitting for the past two hours," Rhea said, and Thea blinked. Had it been two hours? The sweater she was making was halfway done. A lovely pink color, for her dear daughter.

"Really? Well, she never liked to sit idle," a female's voice said, and then the woman chuckled. The four came into the living room, following Rhea. Thea's eyes zeroed in on the blonde in the group. She couldn't place what she was seeing. This was no ordinary man.

There was this sort of light around him. Like he was surrounded by it. There was also the faint smell of apples coming from him. She rather liked him already.

"Thea? My name is Tagas. May I speak with you?" The blonde asked, and Thea pointed at the couch.

"Make yourself comfortable," she told him, and he sat opposite her. The smile on Tagas's face was so blinding that Thea could do nothing else but return it. He reached out, and placed a hand on her own.

"You will be fine. Healthy, even," Tagas assured the woman, as he patted the hand he was holding. Thea blinked. She looked to the rest of the group. The red head, she didn't know, but the other two were Arthur and Beth. Her neighbors.

"Beth?" Thea asked, the fog lifting from her mind. Beth looked ready to cry.

"Mom? Do you know who these people are?" Rhea had to remind her mother who she was every day. Yet now, Thea knew who Beth was?

"Yes, our neighbors," Thea told her as if this were obvious. "Why haven't you come to visit more often, Beth?"

"You know us, old girls. Brittle bones, and all," Beth told her, as she looked at the sweater. "Lovely color, is it for Rhea?"

"Yes, it is. She needs more pink in her wardrobe," Thea told her, and then rounded up on Rhea. "You walk around in those baggy clothes all the time. You are a lady, dear. You need to wear pink, not blue."

"Mom, you remember things?" Rhea was close to crying. She went to her mother, and then pulled a photo album from the coffee table. She flipped to a random page, and pointed at a photo.

"Who is that, mom?" Rhea asked.

"Your uncle Theo. He passed away a couple of years ago. Rhea, why are you asking me such things?" Thea asked, and Rhea had to blink back tears now.

"Because you were sick, mom," Rhea told her, and she hugged her. "How is this possible? The doctors said you will never be able to remember things again."

"Doctors? Oh, yes, they diagnosed me with something. I just can't remember what," Thea said, and Beth sighed.

"Alzheimer," Beth told her, as Rhea was outright crying now. "This is a miracle, Thea. You can remember now."

Thea looked at the blonde, who winked at her. Her eyes widened. He had done something to heal her, but didn't want that to become common knowledge. So, Thea kept silent.

"Rhea, control yourself, girl. We have guests. Bring them snacks and drinks," Thea commanded, and Rhea rushed to do just that. Now that they were alone, Thea rounded on Beth.

"What is he," she pointed at Tagas, who just shook a head.

"He is a friend, more you don't need to know," Beth told her. "Look, Thea, you know how greedy some people are. If they found out about Tagas, then things won't turn out well."

"Yes, please stop your daughter from telling everyone we had something to do with your recovery, ma'am," Harry said, and then looked in the direction of the kitchen.

"I will make sure she keeps mum," Thea told the red head. If the blonde was bathed in light, the red head was bathed in darkness. Yet, he was respectful. Thea figured that, if Tagas trusted this man, then he couldn't be a bad sort.

Rhea came back with a tray with cups and a plate with cake for everyone to share. She arrayed the snacks and the drinks around the coffee table.

"It is a bit too late for coffee, I wouldn't want to keep you all up at night," Rhea said, and then looked at her mother. "Mom, have some cake as well. It is your favorite. I baked it just this morning."

Thea took a fork, and got some chocolate cake on it. She closed her eyes, when she took a bite out of it. It was as good as she remembered it being. Truly her favorite.

"Such a good daughter I have," Thea said, and Rhea looked ready to cry again. Her mother had to be reminded before, for her to call her daughter.

 Tagas took one cup, and found there was milk inside. He tasted it, it tasted sweet, and smelled faintly of honey. It would be pleasant, for he had to call it a night soon.

"So, Beth, how has life been going for you?" Thea asked, and Beth smiled at her.

"Oh, same old. My son moved on from the scamp with these two. A cow gave birth. The animals have been healthy," Beth noticed that Thea was looking at the three men with narrowed eyes.

"Now, Arthur, I never pegged you as the type to want more than one lover?" Thea asked, and Arthur gave out an uncomfortable laugh.

"Tagas and I are a package deal," Harry told Thea with a wink. The conversation began to revolve around farm work. After an hour, the four left. With Thea having gotten out of her chair to see them off. 

1