Chapter 32: Playtime
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 32: Playtime

Harry pulled in the driveway, and they all got out of the car. Greta was waiting on the front porch, and the two boys looked at her shyly. When they reached her, Andrew was the first to speak.

"We brought gifts," Andrew then took out a small baby sized animal onesie from his backpack. It had a hood shaped like a lion's head, plus paws on the hands and feet.

"Oh, this is just adorable," Greta took the onesie, and looked it over. "Was it yours, once?"

"Mommy says it was, but I don't remember. There was even a photo of me in it," Andrew said, and then nudged Jake.

"This is from me," the three-year-old said, and he took out a teddy bear. "Hugo will take care of mister Teddy?"

Greta melted at that.

"If this is one of your favorite toys, then you should keep it," the woman told the boy.

"No, mister Teddy will keep Hugo safe," Jake insisted, and placed the toy in Greta's hands. He gave the teddy bear's head one last pat, and then went to clutch at his father.

"It was Jake's idea to give the teddy bear," Andrew clarified, and Greta nodded.

"Well, then, come and meet Hugo," she led them inside the house, and the two boys noticed that there was a strong scent of cookies in the air. They hoped they could get a cookie from the nice lady.

Greta led them to the nursery, and the two boys crowded around the crib.

"He really is tiny," Jake said, pocking his hand inside the crib, so he could touch the baby. "And soft."

"Well, babies are like that," Andrew said with all the wisdom of a five-year-old. "Touch his hair. It is really fluffy."

Jake did so, and then began to pet the baby.

"May we hold him?" Andrew asked Greta.

"Have you held a baby before, dear?" Greta asked, Andrew nodded.

"At the orphanage, I even changed their diapers," Andrew assured her.

"The orphanage?" Greta then looked to Arthur.

"He was kidnapped, and then abandoned. We found him recently," Arthur told her, and she nodded.

"Well, it seems that he has that in common with Hugo. Sure, you can hold him. Just mind the head," she picked up her son, who was kicking his feet around, and handed him to Andrew. Jake kept on petting the baby, who was looking between the two boys with wonder in his eyes.

"I think he wants to play," Andrew said, and Jake nodded.

"Hello, what is your name?" Jake asked, and Greta giggled.

"His name is Hugo. He can't speak yet. Too young, you see," Greta said, and Jake's eyes widened.

"Hugo, that is ok. You will learn. I couldn't speak either, until a month ago. I was unable to hear, you see," Jake told the baby, and then waved the teddy bear before his face. "This is mister Teddy. He will make sure you never go missing again."

Jake placed the teddy bear within grabbing reach of the baby, and Hugo took the toy. The baby placed the toy's ear in his mouth, and began to chew.

"You are so silly Hugo," Jake said with a smile.

"I think Andrew here can look after these two. How about you come with me, so I can introduce you to my husband, Augustine?" Greta asked, and the three men all nodded.

Arthur went to Andrew, and knelt, so he was at an eye level with the boy.

"Andrew, this is important, ok? You will be the big and responsible adult while we chat with Greta and Augustine. Do you feel like you are up for the task?" Arthur asked, and held up his pinky.

"I am, dad. I have minded babies before," Andrew completed the pinky swear, and turned to his brother and the baby.

Arthur stood, and Greta led them out towards the living room. There was a blonde and blue-eyed man already waiting for them there, with steaming mugs before him.

"I made coffee," the man, who couldn't have been anyone else but Augustine, said. "Thank you for finding my son."

"You are welcome," Tagas said, as the three sat opposite him and Greta. "We were happy to help."

"Hugo has been well," Augustine told them, as he took his own mug. He took a sip. "This house has been empty without him."

The three followed his lead, and Greta looked between them. The two younger men didn't look like they were from the states. They had European traits, while the one in the middle, with the jet-black hair, looked to be from around here.

"Is this what you do? Rescue children?" Augustine asked.

"More or less," Tagas told him. "Did you know that countless children go missing every day from around the world?"

"I never thought about that, until Hugo went missing. It is easy to forget that others could be suffering, when you are happy," Augustine told them.

"At least your son is back with you," Harry said. "So, Augustine, what is your profession?"

"I work in IT, from home," the man said, and then nodded to Greta. "She works in management. For the same firm."

"I am a farmer, mostly," Arthur said, and the two nodded. "While Tagas and Harry are detectives."

"How many cases have you had until now?" Augustine asked, and Tagas sighed.

"Not as many as I would have liked. And all bar one were successful," Tagas told him. He didn't like to think about Dianna even now. It hurt too much.

"It must be hard, when the case turns cold," Greta said, and she took a sip from her coffee.

"Like you can't even imagine. I had to come back to the mother only with a picture. I wasn't even sure that the bones I found were her daughter's," Tagas said, head bowed down.

"You still did your best, I am certain," Greta reached out, and touched Tagas's hand. She gave it a light squeeze.

"It didn't feel like I did," Tagas said. Harry sighed, and went to hug the downcast angel with one arm, and Arthur with the other. Both Greta's and Augustine's eyes widen, but they didn't comment.

1