Chapter 4 – First Day Experience
146 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Why did he have to come...?"
"I've already made up my mind. If only he hadn't come, it should have... been over..."

I was walking down the hallways while having such thoughts. 
Students were hurrying to their respective classrooms since the lunch break bell had rung. Smiling faces passed by me as I made my way to the restroom. 

*Splash*

I washed my face and then looked at myself in the mirror. 

"What a hideous face. Who are you supposed to be?"

The light make-up that I put on before was already a mess. I cleaned my face with a tissue and re-applied the make-up.

"Yosh! Looks good! Now let's go back to class."

I exited the restroom and walked along the corridor when someone called me.

"Sensei! Please accept this!"

The student handed me out a cute envelope with a heart-shaped seal. Is this a love letter?

"Umm... Sorry, I can't accept that. You know that students and teachers are forbidden to have relationships."
"B-But... I truly like you, Sensei."
"Try again after ten years. Maybe I'll consider it after that. Now, get back to class."
"... okay."

How many times has this happened? What did they even see in me? 

I can never fall in love again. After all the things I've done to him. I can't make that same mistake again.
With such thoughts in mind, I continued walking back to the classroom.

==============================================

Afternoon classes started. 
After that unexpected encounter on the rooftop, I tried organizing my thoughts while observing the ongoing lesson.

So far, these are what I've found. 

Yuki Watanabe is a real name. She was a student here at Fukui High and is an honor student. Her personality is different from Airi Shimizu's. She has androphobia (fear of men) due to bad childhood experiences.
I guessed that Airi and Yuki are two different people. Or maybe Yuki and Airi be the same person? Does she have a dissociative identity disorder?
Either way, I can confirm that later if I ask Airi or Yuki in the future.

Goto-san was currently teaching a philosophy class. I quietly listened and observed.

"Suzuki, please read the next proverb."
"Yes! Umm... Love and a cough cannot be hidden." (JP: 恋とせきとは隠されぬ)
"Thank you. You can sit down now. The proverb means that when someone is experiencing love, that person cannot hide it."
"Sensei! Have you ever been in love?"

Suddenly, a female student raised such a question. Goto-san was surprised, and she got all flustered.

"Eh? Umm... did I? Hahaha..."

Gah! Why are you looking in this direction? Though, her embarrassed face looks adorable. That look is dangerous for my heart.

Then the rest of the class joined the questioning. As expected of youth, the students became engaged with talks about love. The boys were the first to ask her questions.

"Sensei, are you seeing someone right now?"
"I-I don't..."
"Ehh~~, but you had one before?"
"Y-yes..."

Then, afterward, the girls also asked.

"Was he handsome?"
"Why did you break up?"
"Did he cheat on you?"
"Eh, that can't be. Sensei's so beautiful! That guy must be an idiot for letting go of Sensei!"

"Yeah, that's right! Why are boys always doing such idiotic things!"

That last remark was made irked one of the boys and responded.

"Haa? What are you girls saying? Don't put all the blame on us."
"Maybe it's because Sensei did something wrong that they broke up."
"Yeah, it's because of you girls!"

"E-everyone, p-please calm down."

The class was in an uproar. Goto-san tried to calm down the boys and girls, who were currently in a heated argument.
As I watched this scene, a boy suddenly spoke up and asked a question directed toward me. 

"Hasegawa-sensei, you understand us, right?"
"Eh? U-understand what?"
"You are also a boy! You must understand what we feel!"

The boy's eyes were shining. Ugh, please don't look at me with expectant eyes. Hmm, what would be the best way to answer this?
The class was in complete silence. Goto-san and the students were waiting for my response. Why do you have to join them, Goto-san?
I took a deep breath, stood up, and walked towards the center near Goto-san.

"Hm. Yes, I think that girls might sometimes be unreasonable or even unbearable. But I still want to interact with girls."
"Boys like to tease girls a lot. But it's because we want to be noticed by you girls. Please understand that it's our way of showing that we care for you since we're too embarrassed to show you our affection. I hope you girls understand. And boys, I know it's hard, but try to communicate your feelings without teasing them."

Whew. I breathed a sigh of relief as I ended my speech. Everyone's expression looked dumbfounded. Did I say something wrong?

*Clap* *Clap, Clap, Clap*

After a moment, the claps resounded loudly in the classroom. The girls looked amazed, while some of the boys had tears in their eyes. 

"*Sob* You're a true man, Hasegawa-sensei!"
"You truly understand us."
"Sensei, please teach me the way of a gentleman!"

"Kyaaa! Hasegawa-sensei's too cool!"
"Sensei, please be my boyfriend!"
"Sensei, can you teach us... about love?"

*Slam*

Goto-san slammed the teacher's podium with books. That made the surrounding area silent.

"Enough. Thank you for the wonderful speech Hasegawa-sensei. That was truly wonderful. Please go back to your position."
"Okay."

'Is she angry? Why are girls quick to change moods?'
The class continued smoothly afterward.

==============================================

Classes ended, and it was now after school.
Students prepared for heading home or on club activities.
I exited the classroom with Goto-san and was on the way to the faculty office.

"Hasegawa-san, how was it? Did you get something out of observing the class?"
"Yes. I now understand that being a teacher is quite difficult."
"Haha...You've seen nothing yet. It's just the start."
"But I see you in a new light now. Teaching suits you."
"Thanks. I didn't think that I'll see you here, though. It surprised me."
"Same here. "
"..."

Silence ensued. I wanted to say something, but words got stuck in my throat. 
While contemplating whether I should say it or not, we arrived in front of the faculty office.

No one was around at the time. Then, Goto-san said something that surprised me.

"Kotaro-kun, please meet me at the usual place, usual time. I'll be waiting."

And that was how my first day of being a teacher assistant ended.

 

==================================================================

Author's Note:

If you like the story, please follow me on my website here for faster updates. LINK

3