Chapter 11: They are coming…wait, where are the pitchforks?
68 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 11: They are coming...wait, where are the pitchforks?

There was a commotion in the forest that morning. Humans were mixing about, searching for something. A fairy approached them, as humans tented to be kind to fairies.

"Hello, are you lost?" The fairy asked, and the man before her looked at her.

"We want to see the stand of the vampire, Orion," the man spoke. "We have things to trade with him."

"I can lead you there," the fairy offered, and the man smiled at her.

"Do so, and I will give you a candied apple," and the man took out a candied apple from a bag. The fairy gulped saliva from the anticipation, and she flew in the direction of the stand.

"They have set up shop just next to the waterfall," the fairy spoke, as she led the humans pass the misty forest, and into a clearing. When Orion saw them, he unsheathed a dagger, and stepped before the stand.

"I don't know what you all think you are doing in my territory," he began, only for the villagers to bow. The vampire recognized Samuel, who was in the process of giving a fairy a candied apple.

"We came in here for clothes. Our seamstress passed away from the pox just a couple of days ago. We have no one to turn to," Samuel spoke, and Orion nodded.

"Well, if you don't mind black, those get sewed faster," Orion sheathed his dagger back in the scabbard, and then stepped to the side. Ossilo and Simone exchanged looks, and then rubbed their hands. Ethinir took up his harp again, and began to play. Not to sing, not yet. For he was still sleepy. Yet, his music put everyone at ease again.

The denizens of the forest came sometime later, and many grumbled that the villagers had taken their spots. Some stayed only to listen to Ethinir, others left.

Simone weaved runes into the clothes, making them sturdy and perfect for work in the fields. She was diligent with her work. Many of the villagers didn't mind black colors for pants and such, and she was happy with that.

What surprised the people of the forest, was what the villagers brought with them to trade. Cotton bushels, dyed in different colors. Hemp as well, which was something that some of the witches that wanted to have something less precious for when they brewed potions appreciated. Also, all kinds of foods. Sweets, freshly baked, and other things. Such as bread buns, salted meat, dried fish, and other things that would hold.

Orion saw the opportunity in that. He didn't need the book to tell him he had to ride the wave, so to speak. Getting a blanket on the ground, he arrayed all the food that had been left as payment, and turned to the denizens of the forest.

"Come and get your human food! One hundred percent genuine," Orion harped, and a couple of dwarves came forward.

"Human food? I have never had any," an older dwarf spoke, and then picked up a bread bun. "What is the difference from our food? What is this made of?"

"Flour," Orion told him. "It has a sweet taste, but also a salty one."

The dwarf then took out a gold nugget, and handed it to Orion.

"How much food can I buy with this?" The dwarf asked, and Orion weighted the nugget.

"Well, I dare say about four kilograms of everything," Orion spoke. It was a fair deal, as far as he was concerned.

"Then, so be it," the dwarf took out a bag, and began filling it. Orion took out some scales, and then weighted the food, when the dwarf was ready filling the bag. After which, the vampire watched as the dwarf and his friends went to the side, to sample the food.

"We will also want some," a fairy chimed in. Orion stared as she handed him a bag. "Fairy dust. I collected it for the clothes, but I think I can buy some food with it instead."

"That would be enough for five kilograms of food. Can you eat it all?" Orion asked the small girl. She was as big as his hand. He wondered why she was overpaying.

"She won't be alone," another fairy spoke. "We can share."

"Ok, as long as you don't overeat and get sick," Orion spoke, and then piled up five kilograms of various things, mostly sweets, in a bag. Then, a witch stepped forward.

"I would like some bread buns. I can trade you an invisibility potion for them?" She then took out a vial with a purple liquid. Orion took it, and brought it to his nose. It was genuine, and top quality.

"Take twenty buns," Orion agreed, and then the next customer came forward. By nightfall, there was no food on the carpet left. The forest's creatures were eating by the waterfall. The book vibrated, and Orion opened it.

<First personal business!

Orion, you have actually done something that could be considered peaceful today, and have made use of all the extra food. Bringing happiness and joy to everyone.>

"Yes, well, it is not like I can eat any of it," Orion spoke, and he closed the book. If he got achievements every day, then he could be considered truly peaceful in no time at all!

The vampire took out three candied apples, some meat buns, and a bottle with apple juice from where he had hidden them, and went to the clothing stand.

"Ok, it is time for dinner, busy bees," he watched as Ossilo and Simone put on the finishing touches on the clothes they were working on, and then handed them to the villagers, who handed them more food.

"No fish tonight?" Ethinir asked, when he saw what Orion was carrying.

"No, no fish tonight," Orion agreed. "I dare say that there won't be any fish for quite some time."

"We will be back, when we need more clothes," Samuel told him. "That is, if you would allow us to come back?"

"You are welcomed in my forest, as long as the creatures of the forest are welcomed in the village," Orion said, and the guard shifted in his boots.

"I will have to ask the lord if they could come to the village, but I will do my best to convince him. Your good deeds have gotten you many admirers," Samuel then waved, and turned to leave.

"This human food sure is good," a fairy spoke, as she ate her hard candy piece. "Why can't we make food like this?"

And just like that, Orion got an idea.

5