Chapter 15: Making a coop
42 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15: Making a coop

Orion snatched a chick, as the fluff ball made a dash for freedom. He took it back to the crate, and then placed the cover securely over the crate. It won't stop the stubborn creatures, and he didn't have time.

But, how was he going to make the coop? He was before a dilemma. At one point or the other, he had seen chicken coops, but those were seen from far away. In the houses of the villagers that were outside the walls.

He just had to do his best, and hope that things would work out. He took his mullet, and hammered a branch in the soil. The branch fell, Orion cursed.

"What are you trying to do?" Simone came to him then. It had amused her that Orion was playing with sticks. But that was an hour ago. Now, it just looked pitiful.

"A chicken coop," the vampire answered her, and Simone just snapped her hands. The branches turned to planks, and then began to rearrange. Soon, there was a chicken coop before Orion.

Orion took the covering off the crate, and then began to place the chicks inside one by one.

"Are you going to try your hand at farming, now?" Simone asked, and Orion nodded. "With what are you going to feed them?"

"Grass," Orion told her, as if that was the obvious answer.

"They won't become as big as the ones in the village, if you don't get them some grain," Simone told him.

"I don't feel like going to the village, these days," the book vibrated, but Orion didn't open it. He knew what the system wanted of him, but the memory of a scared Ethinir as the villagers picked up pitchforks was fresh in his mind.

"I'll go get you the grain. I am just a woman, old and feeble," the hag told him. She was sure that no villager was going to attack her. For, she had cured more than one of them.

"If that is what you wish," Orion told her, and then he sighed. "I'll come with you. To protect you."

Simone grinned, and stood up. The chicks were now safely in the coop, and they stared at Orion with hopeful eyes.

"Eat grass," the vampire commanded.

"They also need water," Simone took out a bowl and went to the river. She filled it with water, and then placed a jar inside of it, so the chicks wouldn't drown. Placing the bowl inside, the two watched as the chicks crowded around the bowl.

"They won't eat the grass?" Orion asked. Simone sighed.

"Soon, they would have trampled on it, and wouldn't want to eat it anymore. Let us go to the village," the hag then took her cane, and the two were off.

When Samuel saw Orion, he couldn't believe his eyes. The vampire had been angry the last time he had left, so the guard hadn't expected him in here so soon. It had been three days, and Samuel didn't think the insult had been forgotten.

"Welcome, Orion. Oh, Madam Simone, it is an honor for you to come over here again. We don't have any sick people, currently," Samuel told them, and Simone shook a finger at him.

"What, am I supposed to come over only when you need me? What of my own needs? It is still early in the day, come now, let us through," Simone snapped, and Samuel stepped to the side.

With sure steps, and the clanking of her cane, the hag led the vampire to the market. They were soon before a merchant who sold all kinds of animal's feeds, and Simone picked up a small sack.

"We would like this, how much?" She asked, and the merchant looked at Orion.

"Fifty silver coins," the merchant said, and Simone blinked.

"Are you sure? Isn't it too little?" The hag asked, and the man shrugged.

"We all came into the forest, when we needed clothes. Now, you need feed. Plus, to my shame, I was one of the people who had a pitchfork in their hands during the meeting," Orion glared at the merchant then, and the man bowed his head.

"Did you think it fun, to threaten two people who come with an offer of friendship?" Orion snapped, and the merchant bowed his head even lower.

"You have to understand, vampire, that we are not city folk. We fear, and we respond to that fear. You could be the nicest, but if you are not one of us, we will always act reserved towards you," the merchant handed the change to Simone, who had handed him a gold coin, as he and Orion had spoken.

"And what would it take to be one of you?" Orion snapped, and leveled the merchant with a glare.

"As long as the forest and the village are two different things, you will always be an outsider," the merchant told him honestly. "Something tells me you won't give up your rule of the forest to lord Harrison, and he won't hand you the title of lord, either."

"So, all I do is for nothing?" Orion snapped, ready to storm off. Villagers and humans in general were all the same. They told you what they needed of you, yes. But it was always an impossible task.

"Maybe, if you build a road that leads to landmarks in the forest, if you welcome us, we can welcome you," the merchant told him, and this time dared to stare the vampire in the eyes.

Orion saw regret in those blue eyes. Shame too, for which he was glad. The merchant should be ashamed, after he had threatened Ethinir and he. But there was also hope in there. A hope for a better life.

"I will think on that," Orion spoke. A road was nothing. He could have the dwarves build it in exchange for fairy dust and some runes, courtesy of the witches and the wizards of the forest. The roads would be done by the end of the week.

"Thank you, Master Orion," the merchant said, respectful. Orion blinked at him, and looked around the market. While he was here, and while the pitchforks were out of sight, he guessed he could do some shopping.

 More so, as he saw ashamed looks on almost all the merchants. In his heart, forgiveness took root. A fragile plant that could wither at any second. Fed by the respect the merchants of the market were showing him now.

5