Chapter 18: Preparations for a journey
40 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 18: Preparations for a journey

Before they hit the markets, Orion led them to Lord Harrison Erion's house, to get the permit to travel to the next village. The maid let them in, and they waited in the living room for the lord.

Harrison found them there, with Ossilo and Ethinir helping themselves to coffee and cookies that one maid or the other must have left for them.

"I am glad to see you well," the lord told them, as he sat opposite them.

"We are glad to be here," Ossilo told him, and the lord turned to Orion.

"You can have the permit, in exchange for fairy dust," the lord said, and Orion took out a pouch from his bottomless bag.

"I think this will be overpaying it, but we didn't think to make the dust in smaller portions," the vampire said, and the lord opened the pouch.

"For this much, you can have a wagon and horses to pull it," the lord said, and then pocketed the pouch. "I won't hold you up, here you go."

Harrison gave them three pieces of paper. They were golden in color, and had blue writings on.

"Thank you," Orion stood to leave, but the lord cleared his throat.

"Just one more thing, if you would listen?" Lord Erion said, and Orion wavered.

"There is a tribe of goblins between this village and the next. If you could talk them out of raiding the roads, it would be nice of you. There is going to be a reward for you, of course," the lord then stood himself, and went to shake Orion's hand. "Put your safety above my plea, however."

"A tribe of goblins is not a problem," Orion assured him then. "I will make sure they are relocated."

With that, the three left the house. They made a beeline for the markets. Ossilo gathered odd looks, but no one tried to make any trouble because of his presence.

The Naga went to the candy stand, while Ethinir went to get some bread. Orion went to the dried meat stand. Getting some dried goat for the road, an entire haunch, he then went to the fruit and vegetable vendor to get something fresher.

After they were done shopping, they made it to the stables. There was already a wagon waiting for them. The stable boy told them the names of the two horses. Gray, for the mare, and Ebony, for the stallion, and they were off.

It took them a day to notice the first traces of goblins. When they did reach the encampment, they were met by laughter. Orion was not the ruler of this stretch of the forest. There was a vampire waiting for them among the goblins.

"Greetings, I came in here with a preposition," Orion said, and the vampire smirked at him.

"I have one of my own. You slink back where you came from, and leave the two beauties for me to enjoy," the vampire told Orion, and Orion's blood came to a boil.

"They are my fiancés," Orion snapped, and jumped out of the wagon. The book vibrated, but he didn't pay it any mind.

"Two? You sly dog," the nameless vampire said, and then went to stand face to face with Orion. The other vampire was a head shorter than Orion, but he was broader in the shoulders than him.

"You will call your goblins off, and you will take a better charge of your forest, or so help me," Orion growled, and the vampire lost his amused look.

"You are that old man, Orion?" The vampire asked. "I am Alexei, a new blood."

"I don't care who you are," Orion snapped. He had fought vampires before. He could do it again.

"You should care, seeing as I can take those two from you," Alexei looked to Ossilo and Ethinir, and he appreciated what he saw. Ethinir had heard enough. If he left this up to Orion, then the vampire was going to blow up in the face of the local ruler.

With a whole tribe backing the other vampire, the fight could go either way. Neither Ethinir nor Ossilo were fighters. If this turned bloody, if Orion lost...

"Perhaps we can come to an agreement? We have plenty of things to barter with you," Ethinir said, as he got to the two vampires.

"If one of those things is yourself, I would be more than happy to barter," Alexei said with a sleazy smile.

"One of those things is your life," Orion snapped, and Alexei had finally had enough.

"Well, I challenge you to an honor duel," the vampire snapped, and the book vibrated again.

"Oh, what now?" Orion opened the book, ignoring Alexei's huff.

<Orion, challenging others is not a peaceful move. Do you want the failure badge? Should I expect to be read by Alexei here next?>

"I get it, I get it, don't nag," Orion said, and he took a couple of breaths to calm himself.

"Look, let us not be hasty. You stand to win much, if you swear these goblins off banditry. I can give you some of my blood, and teach you some tricks," Orion offered.

"You'd share your blood with me?" Alexei was amazed. A vampire that was as old as Orion sharing his blood, even if it was for a deal, was unheard of.

"I will take you under my wing. Make you my heir," Orion offered. What he didn't tell Alexei was that he was going to offer the same to any vampire he needed.

"I can rule over a forest with fairies?" Alexei said, blinking.

"Not anytime soon. But, if you follow my teachings, you can outlive me. I am sure of that," Orion nodded when Alexei approached him. Orion's wrist was offered, and the younger vampire latched on.

When Alexei was done drinking, he stared up at Ethinir.

"He smells like he has had a golden apple recently," the younger vampire said.

"That is because he has. I will trade you golden apples to share with your own lovers, if you would like. But my fiancés are mine," Orion said. A man came out of the shadows. He was just a human, dressed much the same as Alexei. Orion took out an apple, and handed it to Alexei.

5