Chapter 21: Lute village
33 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 21: Lute village

They got out of the forest, and showed the three safe passes to the village guards. They were let in with narrowed eyes, and made their way to the lord's house.

The maid took one look at Ossilo, and she shuddered. But, a flash of the passes had her let them in. Ossilo didn't like this. Drumm village had been more inviting than Lute village by far. He remembered the days when he couldn't go in the village and had to go around naked because he didn't want to go to Simone and deck himself in black.

Back then, the Still Pond Dungeon had not sold any of its silk to anyone, no matter how many people have asked. Ossilo being one of them. Orion had been a godsend to the Naga.

An older man came into the living room, and stared at Ossilo for a while. Then, he shook his head, and sat opposite the three.

"I am sorry if anyone has been rude to you, as you came inside my village. They are good people, it is just that they are not used to seeing anyone with your particular characteristics," Lord Aswan said, and then nodded to the tray in the middle of the table between them. "Help yourselves to some snacks and drinks."

Ethinir reached out for a tea cup, and noticed that it smelled strongly of chamomile. He smiled at the blend, and took a sip. The lord stared at him next, recognition coming into his eyes.

"You are the Swan Song?" Richard asked, and Ethinir nodded.

"That is the nickname I got saddled with, yes," the elf said.

"Would it be too much of a problem if you sang something, master elf?" Lord Aswan asked. He had heard about Ethinir and his magical voice. Something that could calm even the most skittish animal.

"No problem at all. But, can you first listen to what Orion here has to tell you, my lord?" Ethinir said, as he took another sip from his tea.

"Ah, yes. It was rude of me to ask something from you, before figuring out why you three have come. Go ahead, ask away. If Lord Erion trusts you, I will give you the benefit of the doubt," Richard said, and Orion collected his thoughts.

"I have fairy dust for sale, as well as many potions. I would like to get a merchant stall in your village, as well as employ a villager to run it. I can assure you I can pay my taxes on time, my lord," Orion told him.

"You want a stall? I can see it happen. Not only that, but I hope you will visit to check up on the merchant?" Richard asked, and Orion nodded.

"If I can't visit, then I will send someone over with his paychecks," Orion assured the man. He had given this much thought. This was not his stretch of the forest. He had to have minimal influence here, in this village, and give Alexei room to grow.

"I take it this is not all?" Lord Aswan asked, and Orion shook his head.

"The vampire ruler of the forest, Alexei, would like to deal more with the village. He asks if he can be welcomed inside," Orion asked, and the lord frowned.

"His goblins have been causing trouble on the road between here and Drumm village," the lord spoke, disgruntled. "If he can pay for all the damage they have caused, then I will consider it."

"Orion will be happy to pay for him," Ossilo chimed in. He then turned to Orion. "You made him your heir. You have to take responsibility for the boy."

"I suppose," Orion said, a bit disgruntled. This was going to set him back some, but he was certain that it won't be by much. Alexei couldn't have been turned for more than a couple of months. Just how much trouble had he caused? "Do you have any idea what Alexei's debts are?"

"Around a couple of hundred thousand. He hasn't ended up getting anyone killed, thank the lord. Or I wouldn't have considered it," the lord stood then, and offered his hand. Orion shook it. "I will have my assistant calculate all the losses the merchants of our village alone have been through, and then send you the bill. Have a pleasant stay, all three of you."

The three left, and Ethinir noticed that the lord had not pressured him into singing. That was nice of him. Ethinir liked being treated like a human being, even though he was a sweetly voiced elf.

"Well, I guess we can go to the inn now," Orion stopped a man on the streets, and smiled at him. The man looked at Orion, who looked strange in his black clothes, with his white robe over them, and then to Ossilo, whose tail was obvious to everyone to see.

"Are you a wizard," as he uttered the word, more people stopped to stare at them. Some even had pitchforks in their hands. It never stopped to amaze Orion how these people could arm themselves with that particular farming tool.

"Vampire, with a safe pass, and the blessings of your lord. If you don't want to end up in the local dungeons, you will tell me where the inn is," Orion spoke, and the man narrowed his eyes.

"Let me see the passes, vampire," he said, spitting on the ground. Orion's left eye twitched, but he pulled out the passes.

"Drumm village has accepted you, but has Lute village done the same?" The man asked, the crowd closed in on the three.

"Your lord..." Orion began, and then he was saved by the man himself.

"What are you all doing? I go out to the inn, in the hopes I can hear the Swan Song sing, and you all wield pitchforks? Stop it right this instant. I command you," Lord Aswan shouted, and the crowd dispersed. The man then turned to the three. "Sorry about that. Let us all walk to the inn together. I shouldn't have let you go alone."

Orion nodded, and looked to his lovers. They were clutching at each other, and he felt anger rise in his chest.

Yet, he decided to bury it. Next time he went to scout some village or the other, he was going alone. No matter how much the two pestered him to come with him.

2