Chapter 32: Helping
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 32: Helping

Samuel led them to different places in Drumm village. There was a waterfall at the edge of the village, a nice meadow not far from it. Also, he led them to the library, and then led them to the school.

The school was under repairs. Orion figured that the classes for the trader's guild would happen in it. It was still not the time for the school year to begin, although there were precious few days until the 15th of September.

Then, under Ethinir's insistence, Samuel led them to Beth's home. It was a well-kept house, and, just like the old woman's clothes, didn't betray that she was in dire straits.

Orion knocked on the door, and the woman answered him.

"Hello, your wedding is on Sunday. Did the lord tell you?" Beth asked him, and Orion nodded.

"May we come in? We need to speak to you," Orion's expression was soft. Here was a woman who didn't ask a thing out of him, yet, needed the money. He was going to help her, even if that ended up insulting her.

"Oh, sure. Do come in," Beth led them to a small living room, and offered Ethinir tea. Samuel had not come with them inside, so the two figured he had left to go home.

Ethinir took the tea, and sipped from it. It was a nice herbal blend. Green tea, and mint. He rather liked it. It made him more awake, and he smiled at Beth.

"Thank you for the tea. We came in here with an offer for you," Ethinir said. They had spoken about it during the tour, and both he and Orion had come to an agreement that it had to be done. "We would like to compensate you for your work. Also, help you start your own wedding catering business."

Beth blinked at them.

"It is my joy to plan your wedding," she said, not understanding what money had to do with it all.

"Think about it, Beth. You will have extra money, from the gigs. Plus, you will get to plan more weddings in the entire country than you know what to do with. We can arrange that a wizard teleports you around. You will get to travel, without straining yourself," Orion said, and Beth blinked some more.

"Are you feeling sorry for me?" She asked, eyes narrowed. "I am no beggar!"

"We didn't say that you were," Orion told her with a grin. He liked the spunk on the woman. "But you have to agree, that you could use the money. We will provide you with a wizard, assistants, and the money for the initial wedding expenses. You will provide us with a cut from your winnings. Sounds fair?"

Beth sat down on a plush chair, and gave it a thought. Ever since Johnny died, she found it hard to make ends meet. It wouldn't have been so bad, had she had a child to help, but she could not have children.

"I will give you 80%," she offered. She was old, and didn't need much money.

"You will give us 10%, and that is final," Orion told her, amused. "You can always adopt a child and take care of it with the extra money. Why haven't you done so by now, Beth?"

Beth bit her bottom lip.

"I feared the child wouldn't love me, if I was not his mother," from what she said, Orion could figure the old woman wanted a son. He nodded at her.

"Try it. Any child would be happy to have a mother like you. Just, aim for an older one, ok?" He asked, not trying to insult her by pointing out her age.

"I will try," she agreed. Then, she looked to Ethinir, all business. "Is master Ossilo making the wedding clothes, or should I get the seamstress to make them?"

"Ossilo, has it covered," Ethinir said. "You should see the care he puts into them. White as snow, and with blue patterns. At least, Orion's clothes are."

"That is good, white and blue complement each other," Beth said, and then took out a sheet of paper. "While you are here, please look through the lists of guests, and the list with the food for the wedding."

Orion tried to remember some of the faces attached to the names on the guest list, but came up blank.

"Did you invite the entire village?" He asked, and Beth smiled sheepishly.

"And the entire Lute village as well, but not everyone is going to come from there," she said, and then bit her bottom lip. "Not that they mean any insult, master Orion, but they simply don't trust the forest."

"Speaking of forests, I need two more names added to the list. Alexei, he is the vampire ruler of Lute Forest, and his lover Ivan," Orion told her, and she wrote them down.

"Did you send them an invitation? I have sent an invitation to all the other guests," Beth asked. Orion nodded.

"Via a wizard," he confirmed, and then took the food list. There, on the very top, was deer blood. Then, followed by roasted deer on a split.

"Wait, you will send hunters in the forest for the feast?" Orion asked. Beth nodded.

"The lord said the forest dwellers are allowed in the village now. So, I figured we are allowed in the forest," at that, Orion became thoughtful. The roads would be pointless, if he didn't let the hunters in the forest.

Soon, there would be wagons going in and out. He wondered how the animals were going to take it. The denizens were going to complain about the noise, for sure.

"I suppose it is only fair," Orion admitted. He smiled at Beth, and bowed his head. "I will leave the rest of the planning in your capable hands. I take it you have also planned events?"

"Oh, yes. I have gotten some bards to come over. With some acrobatic performers," Beth then tilted her head to the side. "Although, surely master Ethinir would sing as well?"

"I'll think about it," Ethinir said. He didn't want to be ogled on his own wedding day. Not by anyone, but Orion and Ossilo.

1