Step 8 – Awkwardly Stand Around While Adults Talk About Politics
383 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was noon when I departed from home toward the Cherbourg Palace where the party was held. At the time, I was in my stagecoach with as usual my maids, Olivia and Liliana. Of course, my parents departed at the morning since our family are the hosts. 

Before the event, there was an interesting situation regarding my outfit. One week prior, I was informed about it and right after my lectures, my Mother approached me.

"Dear, did you make up your mind about what you gonna wear?" (Mother)

"No but...Is something the matter?" (Me)

"Ah yes, the explanation is in order. The Cherbourg Truce Day is a special event for our family. As in tradition, the successor was always wearing something that would reflect their personalities." (Mother)

"Is that mean you also did that, Mother?" (Me)

"Not only me but also your Grandma and your ancestors as well. Once you will thought it out, don't hesitate to inform me, okay?" (Mother)

"Sounds fun. Thank you for informing me, Mother." (Me)

Perhaps this is a good time to address some of the missunderstandings that may arose at this point. First of all, the Vallita Family ISN'T a nobility. I know talking about heirs, houses etc. may pointed at the contrary but trust me when you're a position where you're owning about all major trading routes along with the city that is literally at the middle, it's not surpising people end up treating as such.

The simplest way to describe my family is essentially: "What if merchant family end up having an bigger influence than a fucking country".

As for my outfit, I decided to something formal but not usually like my Mother wears. I went with the combo Victorian-style blouse with frills + light blue skirt down to my shoes also I got myself a hair pin in form of a multi-colored butterfly. A hot take for today, the heels SUCK and whoever created them should have them glued to their feet for the eternity but I digress.

Once we reached our destination, we splitted up. They went to kitchen and were helping the staff in setting up the whole thing and I went where my Mother was. I asked whenever I could accompany her during the guest reception, she was a bit surprised by my request but she accepted regardless. My Father? As usual, he was busy ordering and overseeing the preparations, apparently he will join Mother once all matters will be taken care of.

Despite all the studying, I still lacked the knowledge about politics and relationships inbetween important people so I thought this was a good opportunity to educate myself while making a good first impression.

Now, I wouldn't say it was unsuccessful but...I didn't predict how tense but also boring it would be. Tense because the other side is usually some kind of big wig and boring because there were only two topics: Trade deals or Marriage proposals. If I could I would have dance right there every time it's not any of those two topics.

Some of them were nice:

"Duke Lunderdorf. Glad to see you in the good health. " (Mother)

"As am I, Lady Vallita. I see someone is accompanying you this time around. A daughter, I presume?"                                (Duke Lunderdorf)

"Angelica De La Vallita. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance." (Me)

"A well mannered too! You must have many suitors. Perhaps I should recommend my son as well, Oh Ho Ho!"              (Duke Lunderdorf)

"I-I'm flattered to hear your praise..." (Me)

Some of them were not so nice:

"Good old Harold, I never thought you would make an appearance after last time.. " (Mother)

"No matter. There is a need for a serious discussion regarding the last delivery of flasks. Or rather the lack of it." (Harold)

"So hasty, how about at least introducing yourself to my daughter?" (Mother)

"Not interested. I will await you at the party." (Harold)

"He he he..." (Me)

"Sorry dear. He has a bad habit of being focused on one thing only while ignoring everything around him. Kinda like your Father actually. " (Mother)

Some of them were a bit unhinged:

"You! Are you the daughter of the Vallita House!?" (Marchioness Catelyn)

"Yes that is correct..." (Me)

"I thought so, after all you have the same hair as Bianca. When I received news that you were in coma three years ago, I thought my heart would break... *sniff  " (Marchioness Catelyn)

"Now, now Catelyn you're scaring her a bit. I hope you will forgive her, dear. She used to watch over you when you were very young." (Mother)

"Oh I did it again...Please forgive this old lady..." (Marchioness Catelyn)

"Please do not fret yourself Milady. Actually I'm happy you were worried about my wellbeing...Wha--" (Me)

"YOU ARE SOOO CUTE! I'm certain we will get along!" (Marchioness Catelyn)

"My, My...Something will never change." (Mother)

And this is how the interactions were for the most part. With some exceptions, It wasn't as interesting as I hoped it would be. Thankfully, the best is saved for last and once THEY got here, I knew it would a time for a real deal.

8