Chapter 25 – Baby Seagull
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My morning problem was making sure that I stumbled about the corridors and the stairs, and that I had to hold onto the twins on either side of me when I walked; it was made worse by the sudden eruption of giggles from Terry, Draco, Lee, Ginny, and Louis, and the lazily amused eyebrow raise from Blaise as Fred, George, and I approached their breakfast table. 

"What?" I had to hold back from using my snapping tone, but my voice barely concealed the irritation as my head spun. 

"Have a fun night, Softpaw?" Terry grinned. 

"Them two had a fun night too, I think." Lee nodded at the twins, and Terry giggled hysterically. 

"Gross, guys." Ginny said in mock disapproval. "I don't want to hear my brothers and future sister being - so - LOUD!" 

She made an exaggerated moan, and Terry, Lee, and Louis fell about laughing. Fred and George sniggered on either side of me, guiding me to my seat as I glared around. 

"Not in the mood right now, guys." I growled. "I'm dizzy -" 

"Here, we can fix that." Draco leaned forward, tapping my temple with his wand. Suddenly, I felt relief in pressure, and the room righted itself. 

"What the fuck?" I said. "How did you do that? I need that spell." 

"It's just one of those basic healing ones that Terry taught me." Draco glanced at his fiancé, smiling. I also smiled, glancing between them both. 

"I can't wait for your wedding." I said affectionately. Terry and Draco's smiles widened into beams, and I reached over to squeeze Terry's hand. 

"Yeah, me neither -" Fred said. 

"- Because the best man -" George said. 

"- Always fucks the maid of honour." Fred finished with a smirk. 

"Guys -"

"The best men have already done that." Lee shrugged. "We all heard it last night." 

Fred and George were smirking at me, in a cocky, arrogant sort of way, and even though my morning problem was sorted I still felt a spark of irritation. 

"Yeah, none of us could sleep." Louis joked. 

"Not our fault Daisy's such a slut." Fred said casually, propping his feet up on the table. 

Everyone except me and George turned and gaped at him. 

"Hey, now." Lee said nervously. 

"Fucking watch it." Terry said sharply, glaring at the twins, then turned to me. "Sweetie -" 

I got up. I shoved my chair in, steam practically coming out of my ears. Terry made to get up too, but I whipped back around. 

"Leave it." I said. 

"Softpaw -" 

"LEAVE. It." 

I felt my palms glowing with white light, and Terry's eyes widened. He slowly sat back down as the twins chuckled, and I turned and stalked out of the restaurant before I actually killed them. 

I passed a beautifully framed mirror on my way out and caught sight of myself; my eyes were shining with the same light that was breaking through my fists in between my fingers, and fluffy white feathers were sticking suspiciously out of the neck of my top. I glared at myself before hurrying outside into the gardens surrounding the castle. 

"You fuckin' - you fuckin' little -" I fumed to myself, pacing furiously in front of a rose bush before growling, aiming my palms at the ground in frustration. A sear of flame flashed out from my hands and burned a patch in the grass; I had to hold myself back from doing more damage and resumed pacing, gritting my teeth. 

It wasn't about the fact that Fred called me a slut. It was about the fact that he did it in front of our friends, and so casually, too. He never used to do that. It was about respect. 

"Finally, you're out here alone." 

I span around. Floppy, in his old Felix Malfoy getup, was leaning against the wall nearby. I was glad that he'd ditched Riddle's body - for a split second, then I was pissed again. 

"Now is really not a good time for you to be fucking with me, Floppy." I fumed. Bright white sparks shot from my fingertips, scoring dark patches on the ground beneath me, and the demon glanced warily down at them. 

"Why's that, Weakling? You on your period?" 

I stared at him. Floppy was chuckling, just like the twins had been, but there was a look of fear behind his grey eyes. 

"What," I said quietly, "did you just say?" 

Floppy moved off of the wall and started backing away, watching my palms carefully. "It's fine, like! I don't mind if you're on your period! I like using blood as lubricant anywa-"

"ARGHHHHH!" 

I thrust my hand out, my rage blinding, and a jet of white-hot light blasted Floppy off his feet. My heart pounded in my chest as blood thrummed in my ears, watching Floppy slam into the wall opposite and fall limp to the ground below. 

"Gabriel!" I yelled into the crisp morning air, stomping my foot, and immediately I heard a swoosh of wings behind me. 

"Finally." My angel brother's voice said sarcastically.

"What the fuck?" I growled as I turned to him. Gabe had folded his arms, regarding me with amused golden eyes. "Finally? Really? YOU were the one avoiding me!" 

"Right, fine, yeah, sorry." Gabe held his hands up. "It was just a bit awkward after you berated us all for not helping you even though we had no choice in the matter. I can't even help you with your demon problems right now. So if that's what you're calling for," he nodded in Floppy's direction, "then I'm afraid you called in vain, baby sis." 

"It's not." I said. 

"Really?" Gabe raised an eyebrow. "What's got you so worked up then?" 

"The - the twins." 

"Ah. Your two ginger boyfriends." 

"It's not funny." I said forcefully, and Gabe took a step back. 

"Dude, put your wings back in before somebody sees." 

"Everyone knows about me now." 

"Not about me, though!" Gabe said hastily. "Put them back!" 

I hadn't even noticed that they'd popped fully out of my back when my anger had flared up again. I glanced over my shoulder at the pure white, fluffy feathers sprouting from between my shoulder blades, and made a concentrated effort to fold them back into my skin. 

"I need help with them." I said. "I accidentally took away their negative emotions." 

Gabe blinked. "You did WHAT?" 

I cringed. Gabe shook his head, a grin pulling at the corners of his mouth. 

"And how long has this been going on for?" 

"Er -" I hesitated, rubbing the back of my neck. "Y'know, I was just trying to take away their pain..." Gabe studied me for a moment, then his jaw dropped. 

"No way... Why didn't you call me sooner?" He said in disbelief. "Jesus..." 

"Can you tell me how to fix it?" I said quietly, my anger quickly fading. 

"I mean, if you fucked up taking away their pain this badly, I'm not sure it would be safe to let you try to give any emotion back to them." Gabe scoffed. "It's not exactly an easy to understand feat - and I can't help -" 

"Please." I said. 

Gabe bit his lip, glancing up at the sky. "Yanno what, fuck it. Dad'll spank the shit out of me for doing this, but whatever. Take me in there." 

I beamed. "Oh, thank you, thank you, Gabe!" 

"Don't thank me yet." Gabe grumbled. "They're getting their pain back. Me keeping it from them will make them psychopaths. They have to learn to deal with it in a healthy, adult way." 

I took his hand as he stalked off towards the doors, still beaming. "I know that now. Thank you, big bro." 

Gabe sent a small smile down at me as he pushed open the door. "Any time." 

~~~ 

The twins had felt horrible about all they'd said and done the second they got their negative emotions back. They'd sat on either side of me at the table - while Terry was bright red and refusing to look in Gabe's direction - begging for my forgiveness and squeezing my hands. 

"It's alright," I told them, "I'm the one who took it all away from you in the first place." 

"Nah, but we were the ones who pressured you into doing it." Fred said. 

"We should've been aware of the potential consequences." George said. 

"Yeah, and you should be doing that every time you two fuck my little sister, too." Gabe nodded at my stomach. "I swear, forget to do your little 'Tergeo' spell once more and I'll take away all your happy emotions this time. And maybe grow warts on your dicks or something." 

"What?" 

I gaped at my angel brother, who was smirking. 

"Unless you wanted that bun in the oven. Congratulations, sis!" 

And with that, Gabriel had disappeared in a flurry of golden feathers and the table had exploded in a bomb of frenzied chatter. 

"Not AGAIN!" I exclaimed. 

And when we returned to class on Monday, it was to my relief that the twins were once again normal. 

"I love you, Daze." George said fondly as we stood close to each other, fixing re-election campaign posters for Kingsley all over the Transfiguration classroom's walls. 

"I love you more, Daze." Fred called across the room as he opened the cage door, letting the baby seagull wander out and screech, extending its neck. 

Well. Relief and a bit of annoyance. But it was refreshing to have them be jealous over me again. 

"Guys, c'mon, no fighting." I said as Fred and George glared at each other. 

The rest of the class began pouring in as the bell rang and Professor Soot followed up the procession. He sighed deeply when he saw the posters but didn't take them down, instead dumping his briefcase down on his desk. The baby seagull jumped and squawked. 

"Sir, your hair's a bit deflated today." I told him.

"Is it?" Professor Soot took out his bottle of hairspray from his briefcase and aimed it at his hair, spraying. 

Terry, Fred, George, and I immediately started choking and coughing. Professor Soot stared at us. 

"Sir, I could brush your hair for you if you want?" Terry offered. 

"I would rather you not do that, Mr Boot. Thank you, though." Professor Soot said. "Everyone to your seats, please. Today we will be covering advanced semi-Transfiguration with cross-species small mammals. Now -" 

"Excuse me, sir!" I waved my hand in the air. "I can't participate today. Due to my conscience, I cannot Transfigure any animals in class." 

"But you have Transfigured them before, Daisy?" Professor Soot said quizzically. 

I shrugged. 

"Fine. Sit this one out. I'm too tired to argue today." 

I fist-pumped the air.

"You can take notes instead. Write down everything that I'm saying." Professor Soot sent a hint of a smirk at me as I huffed. "Now, as I was saying..." 

I got out the paperwork for Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, working out taxes and expenses while Professor Soot explained advanced semi-Transfiguration. I glanced up halfway through a chart of tables, grinning as I noticed his eyes narrowing at my pages. 

"And then you will say the incantation, and the rat will become half rodent, half pincushion." 

"Actually, sir," I corrected, "you have to do the wand movement as you say the incantation. It's like this -" I flicked my wand up, sideways, then down. 

The class gasped, and dissolved into giggles and hushed chatter. Professor Soot raised an eyebrow at me. 

"Is that another detention you're after, Daisy?" 

"Maybe." I batted my eyelashes at him. "Why don't you give one to Fred and George, too? Why not have a foursome, eh?" 

The chatter rose in volume. Professor Soot's eyes darted between me and the twins so fast I almost missed it. 

"Or maybe an orgy with the whole class?" I smirked. 

"Alright, a detention it is, then. Just you." He clarified, pursing his lips in a very Professor McGonagall fashion. "Anyway, class..." 

I grinned, getting out my phone. I airdropped my professor random memes and articles, and sent him some spam ads for scam business schools. Professor Soot ignored the millions of notifications he was getting on his phone, lighting up on his desk. 

Terry giggled as he fumbled with the papers and weed for the joint he was making. I helped him roll it up, bending down after he lit it and taking a long drag underneath the desk. I let out the breath, smoke billowing from between my lips as my head span a bit, and I giggled too. Professor Soot glared at us as he continued talking. 

He turned to write something on the chalkboard, and I sniggered as Fred aimed his wand at the chalk in our professor's hand. He was writing out the different kinds of animals we could do this type of Transfiguration on, and augury had wrote out as 'orgy' instead. 

Professor Soot groaned as the class tittered. He set the chalk back down and crossed over to his desk, but the chalk floated back up to the board and started spelling out swear words. He pretended not to notice, picking up his phone and scrolling through all his notifications for a minute, then shook his head and tossed it back down on his desk. The baby seagull screeched, lengthening its neck and opening its beak wide. Professor Soot stared at it, the dark circles under his eyes emphasised and hair messier than usual. We were getting to him. I knew we were. 

"Sir," I said, "have you got any tattoos?" 

Professor Soot switched his gaze to me. "Wouldn't you like to know, Miss Potter?" 

"I would." I clarified. "That's why I'm asking." 

"Here, sir." Terry got up and placed the pot cookie we'd made last night on the professor's desk. "To chill you out." 

Professor Soot cautiously picked up the cookie and sniffed it, his nose wrinkling in disgust. "Eurgh. What the hell, Mr Boot?" 

"Trust me, sir." Terry winked at him. 

Professor Soot stared at him, then resignedly took a bite of the cookie. I grinned. 

"Sir, where's YOUR Order of Merlin?" George said arrogantly. Professor Soot ignored him. "Because, y'know - I have one. And I don't see yours." 

Professor Soot continued to ignore the class, instead choosing to finish off the cookie. Terry and I were talking at him, trying to convince him that the Chudley Cannons were the superior Quidditch team, but our Transfiguration professor only watched us as he munched, never once acknowledging anything we were saying. 

"Seriously, professor, they might not score many -" 

"- Any -" 

"- Goals, but you gotta admit, their colour scheme is on point, though." 

A knock came at the door, and Terry, the twins, and I turned to each other, grinning excitedly. Several second years came struggling in with a huge fish tank between them, the water sloshing out of the top as the fish inside swayed; the second years set the tank on Professor Soot's desk and sighed in relief, stretching out their arms and wrists. 

"Er - excuse me, lads, what exactly is going on here?" Professor Soot asked, eyeing up the tank warily. 

"Oh - it's a present for you, sir. Don't ask who from, we don't know." 

"Don't shoot the messengers." 

The second years scurried out of the room, giggling, and Professor Soot stared hopelessly at the fish tank on his desk. He then got up, stalking towards the door; Terry, Fred, George, and I got up too, swiftly moving across to block the door. 

"Let me out." Professor Soot said. "What the fuck, let me out NOW, you four!" 

"No can do, sir." I said, crying with the effort of holding in my laughter. 

"You're trapped." Fred said. 

"MOVE! I've had ENOUGH of this!" Professor Soot exploded, swiping at us with his wand in one fluid motion; we were all knocked to the side, falling over each other and giggling as our Transfiguration professor stormed out of the classroom. 

"You guys ruin every class." Hermione huffed, gathering up her textbooks and following suit. 

"Nice." Terry and I high-fived as the baby seagull screeched again, and Harry reached over to bat at it.

0