Chapter 8: What Am I Missing?
186 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PART 2: THE BERGMA EXPRESS JOB -- Execution


Remember when I said that the getaway is half of the equation of a successful caper? A great deal of what followed during this phase was decided with that in mind.

 

The first step in covering our tracks had been paved years prior. Nobody paid us any mind when we departed from Cain Manor in disguise. The small staff who resided in Cain Manor knew of my masks, though Wynn misled them into believing I did so to escape the pressures of my station.

 

We performed countersurveillance techniques as we ventured down from The Crown to Himitus. Once we arrived, instead of rushing to our flight, we covered our tracks further by paying a visit to a self-storage facility I own through an alias.

 

We swapped disguises, acquired tools for the job, switched to the car we sequestered inside a second unit, and traveled to our chartered flight. Finally, we boarded and departed the archipelago for the mainland sometime around daybreak.

 

Narcissa’s home resided on the eastern end of Heimilis, so it was simply a matter of crossing the ocean. Once we reached land, we split up to better cover our tracks – arriving together could’ve created some undesired evidence of our presence. Wynn acquired a rental car and remained unseen while I ventured to the town where Narcissa resided, Sokkinhviem.

 

It’s more beautiful than the photos, I thought, once I departed the train. Crisp air and a pine scent tweaked my nose as I canvassed the locale.

 

The Sokkintum mountain dwarfed the quaint small town which inhabited the valley. It was nowhere near the mass of even Downtown Himitus, yet vast amounts of road existed between the two-story buildings which made up the two. People roamed the tree-lined sidewalks with complete ease and beaming faces.

 

I blended in by wearing leather-brown boots, navy-blue jeans, a panther-black turtleneck with matching gloves, a silver owl feather earring on my right ear, a blonde wig designed to appear like tussled hair, and a black beanie.

 

The hotel room was nothing out of the norm. A faint, berry fragrance lingered in the air while a heater hummed and grilled the room with a gentle warmth.

 

The room itself contained all the fixtures one would expect: a sparkling white bathroom; a single mattress with greyish-white bedding; a nightstand with an alarm clock, lamp, and pamphlets for nearby takeout; a desk with stationery; an average-sized, wall-mounted flatscreen television across from the bed, and more which I don't care to elaborate on.

 

I would have little to share regarding the room or my stay at the hotel if not for the individual who tapped on my door while I was settling in.

 

I opened the door and found a brawny, fair-skinned, older man with a snow-white cowboy hat and cloth mask. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t have cared about him more than anyone else. However, he had something else white which caught my eye: his suit. His white suit told me all I needed to know about his allegiances.

 

I glanced away and wondered why Sharpe Security cared about me.

 

His presence failed to blindside me on account of my research. I always consider the locale we’re headed to and what to expect with law enforcement. In Sokkinhiviem’s case, I discovered the relationship the town’s single sheriff shared with Sharpe Security. Although they were still officially just a private security company, they acted as law enforcement and peacekeepers. Or, in other words, they were my natural enemy.

 

“H-Hello?” I said, my voice a whisper.

 

“Howdy!” he said with a twang. “Just wanted to welcome you to Sokkinhviem. What brings you ‘round these parts?”

 

I gestured at the earring.

 

“Ah, a devotee! On a pilgrimage to the monastery?”

 

I nodded, tucked my chin in, and directed my eyes down – it struck me as the best enhancer for the meek façade I adopted. A ripple shot through me, and warmth swelled. I knew this was the best guise, I mused.

 

I was acquainted with The Sokkintum Mountain’s Galdist enclaves long before heading there. I mean, what Heimilian isn’t? Galdism is a part of the nation’s heritage, even if it’s not practiced nationwide anymore. So exploiting the blind spot for religion struck me as the most stellar cover for infiltrating the town.

 

Despite this, Wyatt continued to ask questions. “Traveling alone?”

 

My insides knotted, and I wondered if I should’ve disguised myself as a man, despite the challenges. “Why do you ask?”

 

“Me and mine can help you through if that be the case! I’m Wyatt of Sharpe Security. I’m sure you’ve heard of us.”

 

“I have…”

 

“You can think of us as reinforcements. We do our utmost to ensure the safety and comfort of all who come through.”

 

“I see… Well, um, thank you for the concern, but I should be fine…”

 

The door creaked as I sealed the entrance.

 

Here’s hoping he’ll leave me be, I thought. However, I doubted he would. Remember, hope for the best and plan for the worst.

 

I followed my typical protocol for establishing a base: I retrieved a laptop and cord from my backpack, connected it to the television, and hacked the hotel. I am not an expert, but I can utilize scripts – programs designed by others to attack computer systems and networks.

 

The television’s connection to the hotel’s database through the in-room checkout granted me a means into the system. That, in turn, provided me control over the entire hotel. I had access to every room, every account, and every rental. However, none of that concerned me. What interested me was the surveillance. With a couple of clicks, I could see everything.

 

I skimmed camera after camera, confirming my base’s security. For an extra touch, I retrieved a Galdist bible from my backpack and placed it on the nightstand. Instead of passages, the bible possessed a micro camera that peeked through a tiny hole in the book’s spine. If someone attempted anything which deactivated or fooled those cameras, they still had one more to contend with.

 

After a moment’s work, the cameras synced with my cellphone, and the hotel manifested on my cellphone’s screen. Finally, I sent a message to Wynn informing him of my status before exiting the hotel for the next phase of the operation.

 

I traveled around the town, feigning the role of a tourist. I took my time and feigned interest in the sights, but the only one which interested me was the gated community that seized the center of the town.

 

A towering, thick stone wall obstructed the view inside. However, satellites had informed me of the woodlands and picturesque cabins on the other end. An archway gate carved into the stone provided the sole means of entry, but a man in a white suit sat at a booth, monitoring those who came through.

 

The trees seemed like they could provide cover once we slipped over. Still, the possibility of them containing some sort of remote detection device likewise existed. So it’s what I’d do. Then again, I thought, the equipment might not be in the best state. Equipment tends to malfunction in cold or snowy areas. What’s more, there were visible cameras posted all around. So it was more likely they were displaying deterrents instead of having anything crafty in mind.

 

I posed in front of the gate and took a selfie while contemplating how to acquire more information. I could've quickly gained access if I were my genuine self. I’d feign interest in a home and learn while inspecting. The option was technically on the table, but I’d endanger my cover if I compounded my visit with my confrontation with Narcissa. I’d deem it suspicious if I were in Narcissa’s position.

 

Perhaps I can use Wyatt to my advantage? I considered. He likely possessed the answers I sought. What’s more, charming him didn’t seem inconceivable. However, that ran risks, given how little I understood about him and how he functioned. The ideal approach would minimize how much I interacted with others, especially the sheriff or Sharpe Security.

 

I shifted my attention to one of the hiking paths that occupied the town's outer portion. It was the best locale to acquire a peek into the community’s inner workings.

 

As I trekked up a stone pathway, I enjoyed the chirping of birds and squirrels scurrying along the path. At first, it was simply because I adore animals. Then something which should’ve seemed obvious dawned on me: animals were outdoors! If there were animals outdoors, the security likely wouldn’t hide anything inside the gated community’s forest. After all, they would render detectors futile with false positives.

 

Getting into the community should be simple enough, I concluded as I continued up the spiraling path.

 

The cameras – or, more accurately, one camera – could be disabled with ease using an infrared laser. I figured they’d assume any issues were caused by the environment. The fence, meanwhile, could be beaten by a cloak. We’d simply toss a thick matting over the spikes, cross over, and retrieve the matting.

 

Afterward, we’d use the woods as cover and sneak to Narcissa’s home. I had no inkling what security awaited us there, but I assumed it was something linked with Sharpe Security’s presence. Either way, I trusted Wynn to handle anything we might encounter if we had to enter.

 

Three things caught my eye when I reached the top of the path. The first was a breathtaking view of the town – including the gated territory, which I could peek into. The second was a wooden bench from which I could enjoy the view. The third was a lanky young boy in green camo squatting.

 

“Hello,” I said as I approached. “Taking in the beauty of the town as well?”

 

“I guess,” the boy said without turning towards me. “Might as well.”

 

I arched a brow. “Is something the matter?”

 

“Nothing you can fix.”

 

I pursed my lips and deemed the topic none of my business. I began to study the inner workings of the gated community as planned, but questions itched my brain. Why did the boy say I couldn’t fix it? Was he correct? What even was the issue? There’s no harm in listening, I decided.

 

“You might be correct,” I said as I settled down next to him on the cold, uneven bench, “but we won’t know for certain unless we try. Besides, even if I can’t remedy your situation, simply having someone lend an ear might ease your burden.”

 

“Why do you care? It’s not like you know me.”

 

“I know what pain is, and I’m not fond of it, so I do my best to minimize it where possible.”

 

The boy turned his head to me, gaped, and jerked away, his cheeks red.

 

Adorable, I thought as I clamped my lips together. The boy was clearly at the age where some mild charm could work in my favor. I curled my lips up. “Besides, as you implied, I’m a stranger. There are no repercussions when sharing with me.”

 

 “…I’m moving soon thanks to my stupid dad’s stupid job. I really like it here, but what I want doesn’t matter.”

 

“What do you enjoy about living here?”

 

“It’s so pretty here. And quiet. And everybody’s so nice. I’ll have to transfer schools again and start all over again.

 

“Nothing says you must leave the people behind. The modern world has made it so we can all connect with others regardless of distance—”

 

“It’s not the same!”

 

I tilted my head and deduced that there was something more. “What am I missing?”

 

The boy dipped his chin.

 

I squinted. Based on the boy’s body language, he was embarrassed. Couple that with his insistence that a long-distance relationship wouldn’t be the same, and I could reach only one conclusion: “Is there someone in town which you’re fond of?”

 

The red overtook his face, and he fought back a smile.

 

“Do they know how you feel?” I asked.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

I huffed. “There’s no point in lying. I’m a stranger, remember?”

 

“…I was working my way up to telling them. I just needed more time…”

 

A sharp pain struck my chest as Becca materialized in my head. I could end up like this, I realized.

 

…Realized isn’t the most accurate word. I always knew. It’s something I buried deep in my subconscious. The boy’s sorrow simply forced it to the surface.

 

I sealed my eyes, told myself that this wasn’t the time for my troubles, and locked those fears back in their cage. “There’s nothing that can be done to halt this move?”

 

“Nope.” He stared down at his boots. “We’re leaving in a month.”

 

I tapped his shoulder. “I’m sorry you have to go through this.”

 

“Thanks…”

 

A brisk wind bit, but I remained still, far more preoccupied with what I could say or do to help.

 

“I may be able to help you feel better,” I said.

 

“How?”

 

“By sharing advice which was once given to me. The best thing you can do here is ‘fail forward.’”

 

He scrunched his face. “Fail forward?”

 

“I won’t mince words with you: not speaking up was a failure on your part. However, you can learn from your failure. Life’s greatest lessons are gained from our losses – provided, of course, we approach them the right way.”

 

“What am I supposed to learn from this?” he asked, his voice heated. “I didn’t do anything wrong! It’s my dad’s sucky job’s fault!”

 

“Will you ‘take your time’ with the next person who interests you?”

 

“…I guess not?”

 

“Then that’s the lesson. I imagine whoever you use this lesson with shall be quite fortunate.”

 

“Not really,” he said as he rubbed the back of his neck and smiled.

 

I considered lending him some more advice, such as to not overwhelm them with his desires, but I figured too much might overwhelm him. Some lessons are best learned gradually and on one’s own. Besides, he left better than I found him. So I took what victory I could and wished him the best before shifting back to the gated community.

 

I peered through my binoculars to the inner workings. Then my eyes widened. Outside Narcissa’s house – a rustic mountain retreat nestled in the northeast corner of the woodland – walked a bespectacled, pudgy woman in a fuchsia wool cardigan and two sizable white shepherds. I recognized her and the dogs from my research.

 

So, Gabrielle is here, I thought as I studied Narcissa’s assistant.

 

I might not have witnessed her had I not halted for the kid. Perhaps Ljura is blessing me for my good deed, I jested as I flicked the earring.

 

Whatever the case, I beamed as I ambled to the hotel and concocted our subsequent maneuvers.

 

Infiltrating the gated community would be child’s play thanks to the aerial drone, a quadcopter Wynn was transporting to the town. We had intended to utilize it anyway, to gather more intelligence before entering. Since I now knew of Gabrielle’s presence, it could protect us from risking ourselves. The only point of resistance I could foresee was if Gabrielle proved more loyal to Narcissa than anticipated. Still, I was confident we could overcome that. I simply had to research her more and discover her pressure point.

 

Once I reached the outer reaches of the hotel, I withdrew my phone and played the surveillance from that day. It might seem paranoid to do so, but I had to ensure my base’s integrity before proceeding.

 

The footage zoomed throughout the time I was gone. Nothing of interest occurred until the door opened and revealed an individual with dark brown hair which reached his shoulders, a surgical mask, and a housekeeping uniform. I pressed the stop button and studied the image. The hair helped disguise the figure, as he hadn’t had it before, but I recognized the etched face. It was Wyatt.

7