Chapter 13: Ever Hear of Someone Named Ozonnole?
124 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Narcissa answered the phone after a single ring.

 

“Who is this?” she asked.

 

I considered saying I have many names but decided against it. It struck me as too melodramatic. Still, I wished to inject a hint of theatre, what with Sylvia watching. “I’m the thief everyone’s talking about.”

 

“What took you so long?”

 

My thoughts froze, and I chomped down on my cheek.

 

“And why aren’t you here in person?” Narcissa asked with a gruff. “I’m alone for a reason.”

 

I placed my hand to my chin and theorized why she was acting this way. “Did you arrange all this to obtain my attention for an assignment?”

 

I’ve encountered someone who had acted in such a manner before. Unfortunately, the client could not contact me, so the challenge was an aptitude test and a summons.

 

“I want nothing to do with you,” Narcissa said. “I’ll be happy to get this over as quickly as possible.”

 

I clamped my lips and wondered why she would attract my gaze if she didn’t wish to have anything to do with me. Then, building on the previous theory, another idea formed. “Are you being coerced?”

 

“Good, you get it. I’m glad I don’t need to talk more than necessary.”

 

“Tell me whatever you’ve been instructed to.”

 

“Ever hear of someone named Ozonnole?”

 

I tilted my head. “I’m familiar with the historical figure. I take it whoever authored this scheme goes by Ozonnole?”

 

“You should be a detective,” Narcissa said, dripping with disdain. “Maybe they’re the one who wants to work with you?”

 

My brow wrinkled as I contemplated the prospect. If Ozonnole was a potential client, they chose a fascinating manner to attract my attention. However, it was likewise possible Ozonnole was attempting to ensnare me. “How am I supposed to contact them?”

 

Narcissa provided the directions, which I won’t elaborate on.

 

“I’ve some questions—” I began to say after she finished.

 

“All I had to do was give you the message. You got it. Now I’m done. Leave me alone.”

 

“If you wish for me to leave you alone—”

 

“I do. So, do it already.”

 

My grip on the phone tightened. “If you wish for me to leave you alone, cooperate. The easier this is, the sooner I’m gone.”

 

Narcissa groaned. “What do you want to know?

 

“When did Ozonnole contact you? And how?”

 

“They broke into my house back on Vinum 4th. Left no evidence of a break-in besides a card that said to call the number or else. Anything else?”

 

“Why didn’t you act sooner?” I asked on account of the timetable the date suggested. The five months between Vinum and then provided ample time to put this into motion.

 

“Don’t know,” she said. “Ozonnole wants it this way. Ask them, not me.”

 

I pressed my lips into a fine line. Narcissa sounded guilty – if you know what to listen for.

 

First, she said “Don’t know” instead of I don’t know. Truthful people give statements using I. Furthermore, she shifted from speaking in the past tense to present – such as how she said Ozonnole “wants” it this way instead of “wanted.” While it's not a hard science, there’s reason to believe that someone who speaks in the present tense is making up the lie on the spot instead of recollecting information.

 

Perhaps she needed to procure the fake Maker’s Tears, I theorized. She’d have to obtain them some time or another. Six months seemed as logical a timetable as any to work within. Or maybe Ozonnole’s operation is time-dependent, I continued.

 

Either way, it didn’t alter what I had to do next.

 

“Very well,” I said. “Now then, let’s address the reason I called: The Maker’s Tear. You have it with you, do you not?”

 

“I do. And I’ve got an idea to make us both happy.”

 

I arched my brow. “I’m listening.”

 

“I’ll tell everybody you stole it if you let me keep it. You look good, and I keep it.”

 

“I think not. I aim to return it to The Dilmurid, where it belongs.”

 

“Not all of them want it back. The Dilmurid are all about letting go of earthly attachments. I’m doing them a favor. It’s an anchor to our world for them.”

 

I slowly shook my head while smirking. I hadn’t expected Narcissa to be aware of the relationship between The Dilmurid and The Maker’s Tear.

 

“There are Dilmurid who believe that life is determined by character,” I said. “They oppose the concept of stripping away luxuries, as while it makes one’s life free of negative behavior, it does little to test your underlying character.”

 

Narcissa let out a muffled growl. “You’re not helping them by giving it back.”

 

“And you were when you offered them hope to reclaim it before retracting your offer?”

 

“I…” Her words trailed off. “…my mind changed because of how bad it would be to give it to them.”

 

“You instructed them to gather five hundred thousand more crowns. How are you helping?”

 

Silence answered my inquiry.

 

“…I wouldn’t be an easy target,” she said with an edged tone. “You can’t surprise me. And I have help. I have Sharpe Security. Vincent Sharpe himself is backing me.”

 

“Narcissa, I’m a phantom thief. I can wait. You’ll never find me. You’ll never discern when or where I’ll strike. And it’s not as if you can guard everywhere. Trying to do so will simply spread your forces thin. Case in point, allow me to share a couple of pictures with you.”

 

I entered the camera mode and shifted to the room. First, I took a couple of shots, capturing images without me. Second, I seated myself atop the bed, held up the camera as if taking a selfie, and clicked. The final product featured me minus my face; I circled it and pressed delete, cutting it from the image.

 

“T-those are fake!” Narcissa said after receiving them. “You’re not in my home!”

 

“I won’t be for much longer, but I’ll leave evidence of my presence.”

 

“Don’t mess with my stuff!” she barked. “I earned it all fair and square!”

 

“If only The Dilmurid lost The Maker’s Tear under fair conditions…”

 

“What happened to them isn’t my fault! What happened to them sucks, but it’s been seventy years. Sometimes you just got to let stuff go and move on! You can’t fix every bad thing that’s ever happened!”

 

I scowled and balled my hand into a fist.

 

While I’ll concede that I cannot remedy all the world’s ills, I failed to see her argument’s validity. Just accept it and move on? No. While we can’t alter the past, we can change how we engage with it in the present.

 

And speaking of how we engage with such items in the present, she was an active party in the relic’s turbulent history! She used her position to mock those without power! If she had such a problem with people being treated in such a manner, she shouldn’t have acted in such a manner herself.

 

“If you wish for this to end peacefully,” I said, “follow these instructions: announce to the public that I stole The Maker’s Tear from you during your train ride. Keep the story simple. You were attacked from behind. The Maker’s Tear was gone when you came to. As for what to do with The Maker’s Tear itself, anonymously donate it to The Dilmurid. I’ll use my resources to confirm whenever they receive it.”

 

“I’m not—” Narcissa began, but I ended the call. I had nothing else to say.

 

I shifted to the room, only to discover Sylvia’s face alight.

 

“That was STELLAR!” she blurted. “You really are The Grandmaster of Theft!”

 

“As said, guilty as charged,” I said as I gave a theatrical bow. “However, my work is far from over.”

 

I pressed a button on the app, which accessed Narcissa’s phone, and pressed another, activating a conference call.

 

“Now we listen and wait,” I said.

 

Within seconds, Narcissa’s roar came through the laptop.

 

“Gabrielle! Where are you?!?”

 

“Out,” she said. “Why?”

 

“Call Sharpe Security now! The Grandmaster is there!”

 

I sniggered as Gabrielle hung up the call and carried out Narcissa’s orders. As much as I sought the job’s conclusion, a part of me wished to linger and relish the deliciousness of the moment.

 

Are you sure The Grandmaster was here? Gabrielle texted later. Nothing’s disturbed.

 

LOOK AROUND!!! Narcissa replied.

 

Some more time passed as Gabrielle performed as desired. When she did reply, she sent a photo with my calling card.

 

You were right, Gabrielle’s text read.

 

I clicked a button to activate Narcissa’s phone once more. Since the battery remained in, we could spy on her response.

 

“Not again…” Narcissa said. “Not another person in my home…”

 

She panted as if she had run miles from a monster. However, in this case, this “monster” was something she couldn’t outrun or avoid.

 

Make the right choice, I thought. You’re at the end of the line.

 

“This isn’t fair!” Narcissa said. “I shouldn’t have to… Damn it!”

 

A sharp clank pierced through the phone call next. I assumed Narcissa either hit the wall or threw something at it. Either way, she descended into cursing.

 

What satisfaction I took in the job waned as I listened. I tapped my foot and checked my watch, wondering how long it would take to uncover some hint of decision. However, instead of an admission of surrender, the beep of another phone’s keypad met my ear.

 

“Ozonnole,” Narcissa said. “It’s me. The message is sent.”

 

I furrowed my brows and bent closer to the laptop.

 

“So, we’re all done now, right?” A couple of seconds passed before Narcissa gulped. “I-I did everything you told me to!”

 

I crossed my arms as I wondered where this was going. Were they requesting more of Narcissa? Or was this more of a “your services are no longer required?” sort of moment?

 

“W-what do you want me to do now?” Narcissa asked.

 

Narcissa’s words hung in the air while I waited with bated breath.

 

“How do you expect me to catch her?!” Narcissa shrieked. “She said she’s going to take her time against me! Who knows how long this will go?”

 

“Sablin,” I murmured. The case would’ve been wrapped up if not for Ozon.

 

“But what if she doesn’t?” Narcissa asked after another pause. “What if she sees through this? Or is more together than you think she is?”

 

I steepled my fingers together as Narcissa paused again and wondered what I was supposed to see through. It was obviously a snare, but what sort of snare did they have in mind? It must be some sort of emotional bait, I deduced, based on the comment about having it together.

 

“What are you talking about?” Narcissa asked.

 

My stomach quivered. Something told me I wouldn’t relish what was being said.

 

“What?!” Narcissa said. “How?!”

 

How what?! I clutched the chair’s arms as the line went silent once more.

 

Whatever Ozonnole was saying, it was lengthy. The longer the silence went, the more I thought.

 

What could they be saying? Had they discerned my actual identity? Had my approach exposed me? I doubted it, what with my reputation for such antics coupled with the aggressive approach I took, but it wasn’t impossible.

 

Did they deduce what happened in Sokkinhveim? I questioned next.

 

It was the one place in the scheme where things weren’t ideal. After all, Wyatt’s appearance, coupled with Wynn’s audible, could’ve blown everything. If I were the detective, I’d consider the possibility that The Grandmaster did something in Sokkinhveim and question Gabrielle. But no one did anything, I noted.

 

Sweat beaded down my forehead as a prospect took shape. What if they were using covert surveillance on Gabrielle as well?

 

It wouldn’t be out of character, as they had already made forays into covert surveillance.

 

“How does that prove anything?” Narcissa asked, interrupting my train of thought.

 

I held my breath. Narcissa’s question suggested that Ozonnole lacked decisive evidence.

 

“That doesn’t mean anything…” Narcissa said.

 

Stop being vague! I thought – as if my will forced answers.

 

I cannot say if my wishing worked – I highly suspect it was a coincidence – but I did receive my wish with Narcissa’s following words.

 

“…I… I saw the pictures… I saw her in my home! Gabrielle found the calling card!”

 

No, no, no, no, no… I thought as my theory regarding my scheme’s exposure became more plausible.

 

“She’s… she’s a thief,” Narcissa said. “Maybe she got in and out without—”

 

I assumed Ozon interrupted her. Based on the timing, Ozon was elaborating on how I’d appear present while not truly being present.

 

Sablin! I cursed again as another thought dawned on me. Narcissa could discern the con based on the scam I recommended to her. The locked room mystery with the train resembled what I had done with her home. At the root, they both relied on me convincing someone to confirm I was somewhere I was not.

 

“…If you’re right,” Narcissa said, “we need to seize the truth out of Gabrielle.”

 

A lump formed in my throat. Ozonnole had deciphered the truth. Gabrielle wouldn’t have been suspected if not.

 

“Alright,” Narcissa said, her voice flat. “I’ll keep my eyes peeled. Just leave me alone after this.”

 

I assumed Ozon said they would after, but it didn’t matter if they didn’t. The call ended all the same. Narcissa let out a huge sigh, said something about this being ridiculous, and went silent.

 

I, meanwhile, contended with my throbbing temples. I ended the call before collapsing onto the edge of the bed and massaging the side of my head.

 

“This can’t be serious,” I muttered as concerns gathered with each thump.

Questions clouded my thoughts at the time. How would I protect Gabrielle? Could I defend her? Was I even capable of protecting Wynn and myself? Ozonnole clearly had some scheme to ensnare me, and they already managed that much. What more were they capable of?

 

And, of course, I wondered who Ozonnole was. Why were they interested in me? What would they do if they captured me?

Part 2 End

7