Chapter 17: Because I’m the Noble Thief
89 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I remained silent while contemplating how such nonsense wouldn’t have ensued if I were male.

 

He’d have presented me with a different challenge, were I someone else, a more sensible side of me noted. I likewise considered how I wouldn’t have been in the position to receive such a challenge if not for my gender, so I couldn’t curse it. It didn’t make contending with him any more ideal but recognizing that the scenario wouldn’t be any better or worse, simply different, provided comfort.

 

“Do you have a deck of cards?” I asked.

 

Crow opened the nightstand drawer and retrieved a box of cards. “Never know when you might need a pack.”

 

“May I inspect the deck?”

 

He tossed the box to me, and after catching it, I extracted and assessed the cards for marks.

 

Under normal circumstances, scouring a deck was the last defense against marked cards.

 

I scrutinized the fronts, the backs, the hue of the ink, and the feel and finish of each card. I examined all the minutiae, even the design on the back.

 

This appears to suffice, I thought. But nevertheless, my instincts demanded I reject them since there isn’t any surefire guard against marked cards beyond controlling the deck oneself. “I can’t play with these cards.”

 

“What’s wrong with them?”

 

“On the surface, nothing. However, the fact this is an already open deck bothers me.”

 

“You calling me a cheat?”

 

“I’m treating you with the caution you deserve,” I said, hoping a touch of flattery might help. “Let’s pay it a visit to the BNB across the street and acquire an unopened deck.”

 

“Fine. I could use a quick stretch and a fresh pack of smokes anyway. Just give me a moment to change.”

 

One visit to the bathroom transformed him. He tamed his beard and switched to a gray sleeveless shirt with the same Pinnacle iconography as my shirt, cargo shorts, and sneakers. We likely appeared to be a couple when we left the motel, which suited me fine. The less attention we drew, the better.

 

The trip to the BNB was uneventful, despite Crow’s attempt to complicate it. He decided to shoplift bubblegum – yes, bubblegum – while paying for the pack of cards, cigarettes, and potato chips.

 

Why did you steal the bubblegum?” I asked once we were a sufficient distance from the establishment.

 

“I’d get rusty if I didn’t.” He tore open a bag of chips. “Want any?”

 

“No thank you.”

 

“Worried about putting on pounds before you strip?” He crunched a chip between his stained teeth and swallowed. “Fat doesn’t bother me, so don’t worry.”

 

I’m enduring this for the greater good, I reminded myself as my skin crawled.

 

It took only a couple of minutes to return to the motel. However, instead of heading towards it, Crow kept walking.

 

“Where are you going?” I asked.

 

He lit his cigarette. “Taking a walk and a smoke. You can come if you want.”

 

The first glimmer of moonlight washed over us while dusk enveloped the nearby park Crow approached.

 

I took one deep breath before whispering to Wynn, “Don’t let us out of your sight.”

 

“You a nature person?” Crow asked after I joined his side on the park path.

 

“I enjoy it in portions. I don’t wish for its destruction or anything of that sort, but it isn’t something I actively seek. I’m fonder of walls and ceilings and not dying from diseases.”

 

“Best hope you never have to go off-the-grid then. You’d be surprised what you learn to love when you don’t have a choice.”

 

“Why are you staying in a motel if you prefer agriculture?”

Crow took a long suck of his cigarette and blew smoke.

 

He’s stalling, I mused.

 

A metallic click and clack behind us froze us both.

 

“S-Stop right there!” a gruff male voice barked.

 

My breathing stalled, and my legs hardened.

 

“K-Keep facing th-that direction and drop your valuables!”

 

I raised my hands and placed them behind my head. “My wallet is—”

 

“If you’re gonna shoot,” Crow said as he twisted around to face the aggressor, “shoot.”

 

I shot a glare at him. When being mugged, it's best to yield – especially when the opposition is armed!

 

“J-J-Just le-leave your wall—”

 

“You’ve three seconds to drop the gun,” Wynn snarled, his voice frigid. “Drop the gun, or I drop you.”

 

An argh echoed throughout the forest. I twisted my neck around to witness a pudgy yet bulky man toppling backward. He thudded against the trail.

 

“You two alright?” Wynn asked.

 

I spun around and discovered Wynn – who wore black jeans, a gray hoodie, and a black cap that concealed his hair – looming over the assailant, who writhed on the ground. He scooped the gun up and pointed it at the man.

 

“Thanks for lending a hand,” Crow said.

 

“Think nothing of it,” Wynn said.

 

“You should think about it,” I said, reasoning I could exploit this. “We’re a team.”

 

Wynn scrutinized me with a what-are-you-thinking glare.

 

“That’s the power of teamwork,” I said. “Everybody has different qualities they bring to the table, and we can accomplish far more united than we can apart.”

 

Crow gave Wynn a once over. “If you got help already, why do you need me?”

 

“I believe in playing to one’s strengths. I also believe in discretion, so let’s discuss this elsewhere.”

 

“Fine,” Crow said as he pivoted back toward the motel. “Let’s go.”

 

“I’ll tidy up here before meeting you two,” Wynn said.

 

“I-I’m sorry!” the man said. “P-Please d-d-don’t shoot! I’ve got a family!”

 

I began to follow but stopped and whirled around to Wynn and the assailant. I couldn’t help but wonder why he had attacked us. What’s more, caring about them struck me as the wisest course of action.

 

For starters, while I had no issue with how Wynn disarmed him – he was an active threat – I preferred to not leave things in such a state. Again, my grandfather encouraged me to be both pragmatic and compassionate. More importantly, showcasing such compassion ran counter to the worldview Crow trumpeted. I figured that showing some basic decency might benefit me with Crow in the long run.

 

“Sir,” I said as I approached the terror-stricken man, “could you tell me why you did this?”

 

“Th-The Braterdarii!”

 

I chomped my inner cheek.

 

I could speak volumes about The Braterdarii, but I’ll keep it brief. The Braterdarii is an international criminal syndicate that originated in and operates from Zimavata. Branches exist throughout the world, including here in Bergmastand. They aren’t the sole higher power in our underworld – a Shishu syndicate called The Youzai hinders them – but they aren’t to be taken lightly.

 

“I took out a loan for them,” the man said, “for medical bills! An accident happened to my mom and… and I just… it was the quickest place to get cash! I’ve been trying to save up, get it back to them, but with new year’s having just happened, they’re putting pressure on me and—”

 

“How much do you need?” I asked.

 

“I just need five hundred to stall—”

 

I placed my finger in front of my mouth and shushed him. “That’s not what I’m asking. How much do you need in total?”

 

“A-around fifty-five thousand crowns…”

 

I cast a glance at Wynn. “Retrieve the sum from our emergency stash.”

 

Wynn nodded.

 

“Emergen—” The man gaped and stuttered. “W-Who are you?!”

 

“Someone who sympathizes with your plight and can make a difference,” I said. “I hope that suffices, as you won’t gain anything more.”

 

 “Th…this can’t be re—”

 

“I’m in a hurry, so let’s skip this song and dance. It’s true, you’re welcome, please steer clear of circumstances such as this in the future, I wish you well, so long.”

 

Tears welled behind his eyelids. “T-Thank you!”

 

His response pumped sunshine into my veins. I held back my smile, though, instead turning my back to him and giving a wave as I strode to Crow’s side. “Now we can go.”

 

“Why’d you help him?” Crow whispered as we marched.

 

“Because I’m the noble thief. Helping people is what I do.”

 

His nose crinkled. “You’re a thief. Hurting people is inevitable. Hell, the job you’ve brought hurts one person to help another.”

 

“The person I intend to harm is a wealthy, obnoxious celebrity who antagonized the survivors of genocide with a religious relic they lost during said genocide. She can cope far easier than they.”

 

“Heists don’t just harm the people you’re targeting. There are going to be people caught up in the web. What about the people guarding the score? Collateral damage is hard to avoid.”

 

My throat thickened, and my mind rewound to Gabrielle. That wasn’t my fault, I thought as I reflected on Wynn’s alteration of my scheme.

If he hadn’t extracted me, no heat would’ve befallen her. I had acted unobtrusively, so he possessed no valid reason for interfering. I hadn’t said it before, but it was clear that he allowed Sharpe Security to intimidate him. He placed far more faith in their capabilities than in ours.

“So long as people act according to my design,” I said, “collateral is avoided.”

 

“Well, aren’t you sure of yourself? Find it hard to buy, though. If I had to guess, you’re so caught up playing ‘hero’ that you ignore anything inconvenient to your self-narrative.”

 

I halted and glared. “I do the best I can to avoid harming innocents, minimize what damage I do cause along the way, and repair what I can repair.”

 

“What if your best isn’t good enough?”

 

My stomach knotted. “I’ll do my utmost to ensure that whatever positive mark I leave on the world far outweighs the negative byproduct.”

 

“So, you’re saying it’s a necessary evil?”

 

I frowned. I wasn’t fond of that phrase – the idea of any evil being necessary – but I couldn’t deny Crow’s phrasing. “It’s the lesser of evils. It trumps inaction.”

 

“Gotcha. So, you decide everything for everybody.”

 

I gripped my wrist behind my back and marched forward. “It’s not about deciding for others. It’s about lending aid to those without recourse. I am a helping hand who can navigate a world most cannot and, hopefully, will not. I fill the gap between what’s legal and what’s right.”

 

“Whatever helps you sleep at night.”

 

He stuffed another cigarette in his mouth while I rolled my eyes.

 

The rest of the stroll was uneventful. Once we returned to his motel room, Crow seated himself atop his bed, this time with legs crossed, and tossed the playing card box to me.

 

“If you wanna back out,” Crow said, “now’s the time. I ain’t holding back once the game starts.”

 

I ripped the plastic off the cards. “So I shouldn’t expect any excuse when I win?”

5