Chapter 19: The Architect of Everything
105 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Instead of returning to Cain Manor, we visited Cain International. My clearance took us to the penthouse above the business.

 

A crisp, herbal fragrance greeted Wynn and me when we disembarked the elevator.

 

I issued a command for the voice-activated controls, and the ceiling lamps brightened the spacious entryway.

 

“Need me for anything?” Wynn asked as we strolled past the ornate and extravagant portraits my father collected.

 

“I can handle this. You’re free for the night.”

 

Wynn descended the stairway into the suite’s lush living room and plopped on the sofa. I meanwhile strolled into my bedroom, settled into the corner desk, booted up my desktop, opened the Bonfire messenger app, and alerted his profile.

 

A couple of minutes passed before I received a voice chat request which I accepted.

 

“Yes!” came Ozon’s voice, cloaked to sound deeper and hollow. “Finally! It's you! You're the Grandmaster of Theft! I mean, obviously. You don't need me to tell you who you are. Sorry, I'm just sooo excited! I mean, it's you and me, me and you, just...well, this! Us! Talking!"

 

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. How was I to respond? It ran counter to everything I had pictured.

 

"Hellllllo?" they continued. "You're there, right?"

 

"I am. You are Ozonolle, correct?"

 

"No, I'm an eight-legged, fire-breathing dragon. Duh! That's who Cissy said I was when she gave you the message! Which, speaking of, tough break on how things played out. I was pulling for you.”

 

I arched a brow. “Weren’t you the architect of everything?”

 

“Define ‘everything.’”

 

“You coerced Narcissa into this stunt to gain my attention.”

 

“I did what?! What nonsense did she fill your head with? Sure, I played a role, but I didn’t coerce her. She came to me.”

 

I pursed my lips. “Explain.”

 

“People in certain circles come to me for help, and I tell them what to do. This whole mess with the diamond and the train? I made the blueprints, but everything else is Narcissa.”

 

I narrowed my eyes. I had no inkling what they were up to, but the fact they were trying to outfox me was clear. It made little sense otherwise. Why else would Narcissa act as she had when the two spoke? “You never coerced Narcissa?”

 

“Why would I need to? I’m sure you’ve done your research on her. Anyway, she’s just one example of the type I work with.”

 

“And you’re sharing this with me because…?”

 

“I want you to understand who I am and what I offer.”

 

“If you aren’t going to cut to the chase,” I said, “I’m ending this call.”

 

“Stasik Bogden,” Ozon said. “AKA The Head of the Bergmastand Branch of The Braterdarii. Heh, say that five times fast. Anyway, you scratch my back and steal something from Bogden, I’ll scratch yours and trade you The Maker’s Tear.”

 

“I’m The Grandmaster of Theft. Why do I need your assistance?”

 

“You lack the element of surprise against Narcissa. The smart move here is to work around the problem. In this case, go after someone else. Someone who isn’t on guard.”

 

Clever, I thought as the puzzle pieces clicked into place: Ozon instructed Narcissa to gain leverage over me.

 

I had no intention of accepting their job, but I figured it best to play along. Why pass on an opportunity to uncover more about Ozon? They’d reveal something, even if they decided against sharing anything.

 

“What am I supposed to steal?” I asked.

 

“The question isn’t ‘what are you stealing.’ It’s whom.”

 

A chilly tinge seized my spine.

 

“Bogden’s running a scheme that won’t succeed if the police get involved. So he resorted to dognapping to keep them out. Who steals a dog? Seriously? I feel for Dru – Dru Simmons, the cop’s name; investigate if you want. Either way, I’d like to fix this mess.”

 

I chewed my bottom lips. On the one hand, if true, that was the sort of job which interested me. But, on the other hand, I figured that’s why Ozon selected it, regardless of validity. “Why choose me if you’ve other options?”

 

“You’re The Grandmaster of Theft! I initially didn’t plan on speaking with you, but I’m juggling quite a bit, and I saw an opportunity. Why not have one problem solve another?”

 

My foot bobbed as I analyzed their statement. It seemed sensible, though it begged another question. “What will you do if I decline?”

 

“There are other thieves out there, but who knows how long it would take to find someone else? Plus, need I remind you that I’d make your job easier too.”

 

The bobbing quickened.

 

If Ozonnole was as thorough as he seemed elsewhere, why not ready alternatives in case I declined? Nobody’s perfect, a part of me said, but I couldn’t accept such an answer. It seemed too inane an oversight to place one’s hope in one possibility. Besides, they could’ve been running some sort of con.

 

“Thank you for the offer,” I said, “but I must decline.”

 

“Is it because of me? Because you don’t know who I am?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Would you help a cop whose pet has been dognapped by gangsters if I weren’t involved?”

 

I frowned. My instincts screamed yes, but I recognized the potential for a snare. “Who’s to say?”

 

“What a shame… ‘The noble thief’ isn’t as noble as she likes to present herself.”

 

“Seeing as you care so much about noble causes, I’m confident about leaving the task in your hands. I wish you the best of luck.”

 

I ended the call. Ozon sent another request seconds later, but I rejected it and logged out.

 

I invested the remaining time into monitoring Gabrielle and contemplating Ozon’s actions for clues. Neither endeavor bore fruit, however, and so I slept.

 

The morning proceeded about as one might expect. We ate breakfast, showered, and returned to Cain Manor. I rested my eyes and reviewed my scheme for how we’d proceed against Narcissa as we cruised.

 

With Crow on the payroll, everything seemed in order once more. Or at least as close to “in order” as plausible. I still had my concerns regarding Crow, but it’s not like I had any alternative. Well, any option beyond folding, which was not happening. I’m not the sort who flees simply because the circumstances have grown more complex.

 

Moreover, I hadn’t lost sight of why I accepted the job. Nothing changed. If anything, I gained more reason to seize The Maker’s Tear; I couldn’t allow my reputation as a thief to remain tarnished.

 

I simply must maneuver Narcissa into place, I mused as we passed the gate into Cain Manor.

 

“Hey Cass, expecting company?” Wynn asked.

 

I opened my eyes and noticed a dark green sports car loomed at the end of the driveway. I rubbed my eyes and glanced at the driveway again.

 

Gale was at my home, uninvited.

Part 3 End

5