Chapter 23: Already Mine
98 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun sailed into the horizon as we made our way to Cain Manor.

 

The pool should be exceptionally lovely tonight, I reasoned.

 

My family’s indoor pool featured a circular skylight that bolstered the room’s allure. The moonlight would bathe the water silver. As for the pool itself, my father decorated it to mirror an oasis. The actual water was contained in an oval while shrubbery and plants furbished the surroundings.

 

It was the ideal place to take Becca.

 

I tried to mentally prepare myself on the way over, though partway through, I found it unnecessary. My fingers throbbed, and I appraised her repeatedly while we chatted about the film. I can’t recall too much of our conversation as my mind remained centered on my scheme. Or, I should say, my lack thereof.

 

What am I doing? I wondered. Just how far was our night going? Were we going too fast? Was I misreading the situation? What if my previous concerns were correct?

 

“Hey Cassie,” Becca said midway through, “sorry to shift gears, but something is eating at me. What was Rae and you whispering about? Why couldn’t I listen, yet can be told afterward?”

 

I chewed on my inner cheek while debating how to answer.

 

If I had told her of the investigation, she could’ve theoretically linked dots and deduced my identity. If that occurred, my scheme could go off the rail in numerous ways. What if her suspicion tipped Gale off? What if she grew irate because I hadn’t told her already? What if Gale somehow managed to recruit her? The list of quandaries went on and on.

 

Having said that, if I deceived her, she could’ve deduced it as well and resented me for it, endangering the long game. What’s more, I didn’t wish for Becca to feel like an outsider looking in. I didn’t want her to doubt our connection or how vital she was to me.

 

Stupid Rae telling her she could ask afterward, I railed. Stupid Gale for creating this scenario and stupid Grandpa for assisting him, and stupid, stupid me for not trusting her to begin with.

 

“What’s wrong?” Becca asked, frowning.

 

I sighed. “Do you trust me?”

 

“Hmm… You can be tricky sometimes….”

 

“I’m serious.”

 

“So am I,” she said. “You can be tricky sometimes, and I don’t believe everything you say, but you are the most trustworthy person I know.”

 

“It doesn’t paint the best portrait of your social network if the person you say you don’t always believe is also the most trustworthy.”

 

“There are people who lie less than you that I trust less. I might not always trust your words, but I trust your character. You’ve always got a good reason for lying. Or whatever you’re aiming for is within acceptable limits. Either way, I don’t worry.”

 

I gaped as the tension in me evaporated. It was as if Becca had pressed a button that removed all my inhibitions. I resolved then and there to do everything within my power to make her my girlfriend before the night’s end.

 

I swallowed – my mouth dried from gawking – before saying, “I appreciate that, Becca. I appreciate you. It’s…difficult to put into words how much you mean to me…”

 

“You mean a great deal to me, too,” Becca said, her voice affectionate. “So, what’s all this got to do with Rae? Is it something bad? Or something you can’t share.”

 

“The latter,” I said. “Though it’s something I can’t share yet. Please, trust me when I say I’ll share everything soon.”

 

A thin smile formed on her face. “Alright. Just know that I’ll help as best I can if it's anything troublesome. You don’t have to bear stuff alone.”

 

I would’ve laid my head against her shoulder if we weren't seated across from one another. Hearing her say that meant the world to me. And, with that, the question of how far I’d go with her was laid to rest.

 

By the time we arrived at Cain Manor, the moon had secured its place in the sky, and the surrounding constellations glittered. I instructed Wynn to stand guard outside the pool while I honored my wager with Becca. A tense expression began to manifest on his face, but he dawned a stony mask and nodded.

 

Once we entered the pool room, we stepped along the pool’s outer rim. I dipped my hand in and endured its brisk temperature.

 

Becca clapped. “Alright! Let’s do this!”

 

“Not beating around the bush…” I said with a burning neck and face.

 

“There’s no time like the present! Plus, it’s not like there’s anything you need to do or get, right? Unless…” …” A lecherous grin sauntered across her lips as her eyes deepened into a leer.  “…you need a hand undressing.”

 

“W-what?!”

 

“I understand,” she cooed as she sauntered towards me. “Noble women in the past often needed help getting in and out of clothes…”

 

“T-This isn’t the same!”

 

Becca clamped her lips together, but laughter jettisoned through regardless. She doubled over while saying, “Your face is so red! Add in your hair and—”

 

Her laughter swelled as tears leaked out.

 

I, meanwhile, scowled while considering dragging her into the pool with me. I took a breath before saying, “Actually, there is something you can do for me.”

 

“What’s up?” she asked as she wiped the tears.

 

“Turn your back to the pool and close your eyes.”

 

She pouted. “How am I supposed to know you’re doing it?”

 

“My clothes will be lying here.”

 

She huffed. “Fine…”

 

She twisted around and covered her eyes.

 

I tiptoed over and waved my hand in front of her face. She remained still.

 

“I can hear you,” she said. “If you try anything, I’ll pay you back twofold.”

 

Her lips were like petals that had been touched by light rain. They skewed my grin as memories of her kisses flooded my mind. They were warm, soft, and firm. They were a dream.

My heart and hands throbbed. My lips parted. My voice lowered. “You’ll pay me back twofold?”

 

I looped around her waist and pulled her against her. Becca’s hands flung from her face while her jaw slacked.

 

“Cass—” she began, but I captured her lips with mine.

 

Her eyes ballooned as I pressed my lips firmly against hers. Then she flung her arms around my shoulder and plunged her tongue into my mouth. As her soft, silken tongue slid across mine, a jolt blitzed through me.

 

Our tongues lapped with one another while I clung to her. She, in turn, pulled me closer, and prickles rippled through me. I could’ve remained in that moment forever…

 

When we did break from the kiss, we both panted while retaining our embrace. Instead of lips, we latched our gazes onto one another.

 

Becca broke the silence with a girlish giggle.

 

“What’s so funny?” I asked.

 

“This! It’s surreal!” She brandished a smile as intimate as the kiss. “This isn’t getting you out of hopping in the pool.”

 

“You simply wish to see me undressed, don’t you?”

 

“Maybe.”

 

“I’ll let you do more than see if we skip the pool for tonight…”

 

I’d rather not elaborate on the particulars of what followed. Truth be told, I wouldn’t have shared any of this if it did not factor into the job – and believe me, it factored in. It factored in when I decided we should go somewhere more comfortable – i.e., my bedroom.

 

As we left, we passed by Wynn, who I instructed to retire for the night.

 

“As you wish, young mistress,” he said with a bow before leaving.

 

Once he was out of earshot, Becca whispered, “What’s up with him?”

 

“I cannot say…” I said, which I suppose was technically the truth. “I’ll investigate later. But, for now, it’s of no consequence.” I linked our hands. “You’re the center of my universe.”

 

Becca brightened up, and I led her to my bedroom. Once inside, we did some stuff that I’d rather keep behind closed doors.

 

Anyway, we cuddled in my bed when all was said and done.

 

“You’ve no idea how long I hoped for this,” Becca murmured. “I could stay like this forever…”

 

Forever…

 

Those words repeated in my head again and again and again before Wynn’s words returned.

 

This can’t last forever. I’m glad we are doing what we are, but what’s it all leading to? Either we end it on our terms and quit while we’re ahead, leaving tons of people in need without help, or things catch up to us, and we wind up in jail. Or worse.

 

I shivered despite Becca’s balmy embrace.

 

Theft is a gamble. You’ve been fortunate so far if you are indeed The Grandmaster. Still, you’re bound to make a mistake and lose some time or another, no matter how good you are. And when you lose, you’ll lose big. Please, quit while you’re ahead. Consider the big picture. I trained you for a far greater purpose.

 

I tightened my hold and thought about how I could’ve spoken with Becca if not for the scheme.

 

“Cassie,” Becca said, “do you love me?”

 

Despite everything which had occurred, a lump formed in my throat. I swallowed it and said, “I wouldn’t have done this if I didn’t.”

 

“Say it for me. Please.”

 

My muscles tensed, and a part of me wished to flee. Another side recognized this as absurd. Old habits die hard, I suppose. But nevertheless, a more powerful impulse overpowered my fear. I had to close whatever distance remained between us. If not for my scheme, for myself. I’d live with regret if I didn’t speak those words.

 

“I love you, Rebecca.”

 

Her face took on a solemn glow, and warmth washed over me.

 

“You should ask me out,” she said, “seeing as I love you too.”

 

“Wouldn’t that be a formality at this point?”

 

“Ask me out.”

 

I smirked and decided to toy with her a little. “No.”

 

“Ask me!”

 

“You’re already mine.”

 

She rolled her back to me and crossed her arms. “I won’t do this again if you don’t ask me out.”

 

I slipped my arm around her waist and bumped against her sizzling, silky back. “Let’s test your resolve—”

 

She broke away from me. “I’m serious. I want us to be serious. I want—I need you to ask me out.”

 

My heart twisted. “I’m sorry. I was teasing. I already consider you my girlfriend in all but title, so let’s make it official. Rebecca, will you be my girlfriend?”

 

She rolled over and slung her arms around me in an embrace. Her eyes were wet yet shining. “How could I possibly say no?”

 

I breathed a tiny, quiet exhale. “Then let’s seal the deal with a kiss.”

 

She shook her head. “My best friend kissed me plenty of times. My girlfriend has to do something more.”

 

“You’re a glutton.”

 

“I’m a gourmet. When it comes to romance, I’ve got a discerning palate, and you’re the only one who satisfies it. Also, you’ve left me starving for years.”

 

“Allow me to make up for the lost time.”

 

I’m not sure how late in the night it was when we settled down. Regardless, Becca drifted off while I remained awake, reflecting on recent events.

 

If theft is a gamble, I thought, I should approach this as a gambler.

 

The battles you choose to fight are as crucial as those you don’t when gambling. What’s more, a good gambler quits while they’re ahead. If they don’t, the house will win sooner or later.

 

Logically, I should’ve quit then and there. I should’ve heeded the advice I had received. But the thought of surrendering sent knots through my stomach.

 

What did it say about me if I walked away from everything? Was I as selfish as those I targeted? Was I someone who cared until caring became inconvenient? Could I even say I cared if I couldn’t follow through?

 

I can’t stop yet, regardless, I reasoned. Some would continue to suspect me if I failed to alleviate concerns. I had to carry out the plan if I wished to live without specters. Controlling the narrative benefited me more than retreating.

PART 4 END

5