Chapter 39: Just Do Your Best and I’ll Take Care of the Rest
70 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The actual night before the gala was the calm before the storm, seeing as the only trouble I faced then was Becca tempting me to stay awake longer. I swayed her into waiting until after the gala; I prefer a whole night’s rest before a job. Once we were awake, we went about disguising ourselves as the other.

 

I’ve no clue where to even begin when elaborating on how much minutiae we had to contend with when executing an impersonation. For instance, Becca’s chest is one cup size larger than mine. Under normal circumstances, this wouldn’t matter. However, for this night, it mattered since my gala attire was a midnight-black off-shoulder evening gown. Thus, we not only had to make her chest appear a tad smaller, but we had to do so without using a minimizer or binder bra, as the straps would clash with the dress. Fortunately, we accomplished the feat with tape explicitly designed for this.

 

Another instance that challenged us was our differing complexions, seeing as I’m a touch paler on account of my genealogy. The dress’s darker colors created a contrast, making Becca’s complexion appear lighter. Moreover, we employed make-up which took time to apply.

 

We went over this and more when transforming one another into the other. The masks were ironically the most straightforward part – and even then, believe me when I say everything that goes into a latex mask is exhausting and costly. Those two alone cost forty thousand crowns and required two hours of cooperating to get everything right.

 

Still, when all was said and done, it was as if I was looking into a mirror – or at least I would be if I were still me and not Becca.

 

Loving the new look,” Becca said as she gave me a once-over. “You should keep it when we’re done.”

 

My lips quirked up. “Perhaps. I am fond of this appearance. It manages to shift between cute and beautiful with such ease that it astonishes me.”

 

Becca’s lips broadened.

 

“In the meantime,” I said, “show me your impersonation of my voice once more.”

 

With a perfect imitation, Becca said, “I love my girlfriend Becca so much. She’s smart and creative and funny and sexy. I’m fortunate she forgave me for keeping me in the dark for so long about me being The Grandmaster of Theft.”

 

“I thought you weren’t going to hold this against me?” I asked with a flat tone.

 

She forced out a light giggle. “Sorry, I’m just… I don’t know. It hit me more after everything died down. Just give me some time.”

 

I sighed. “If there’s anything I can do to speed the process, please inform me.”

 

“I will. Anyway, do me now! Can’t have you slipping with my voice!”

 

“My name is Rebecca Maddox,” I said, imitating her voice. “My place is a mess, and I should let my girlfriend move me into a better, safer apartment.”

 

“A-minus on the voice, C-plus on the statement. My apartment is safe!”

 

“I’d rest easier if it were somewhere harder to access. Hope—”

 

“—for the best, plan for the worst,” she said, mimicking my voice. She dropped it as she continued. “I’ll think about it…”

 

We kept practicing until we had to leave for the gala. I told Becca it was showtime and instructed her to walk ahead of me, to feign me following her. She began to lead the way but froze at the door.

 

“Everything alright?” I asked.

 

With a hushed whisper, she said, “The show begins the second we cross through this door…”

 

“The con is on,” I said.

 

She pushed out a soft haha. “Just… Just give me a second…”

 

She sucked in stuttering breaths and shook as she exhaled. Her hands faintly trembled.

 

Kakaz, I cursed as I realized she was suffering from stage fright.

 

To say it caught me off guard was an understatement. I had never seen her nervous before a performance – and I’ve seen her before plenty of performances. But, of course, those performances never had stakes as high as this.

 

I stepped closer and bundled her into my arms. “Everything will be alright.”

 

“How do you know? I’ve never done this before. What if I mess up? What if everything falls apart because of me?”

 

“What could you possibly do which would expose us?”

 

“Narcissa and Vincent are going to be there,” she said. “Maybe they’ll do something, and I won’t be ready.”

 

“Wynn will be there. As well as Grandpa.”

 

“I just…don’t want to mess this up…”

 

“Alter how you’re thinking,” I said. “You’re always so positive, so think positively. Be yourself.”

 

“I’m not as positive as some might think,” she grumbled.

 

“That’s fine. I’m simply saying that things are more likely to go awry if you’re concerned with it going awry.”

 

Becca shuddered.

 

“My trick is to focus on the task,” I said. “The process. Nothing else matters. In your case, all you need to do is oversee the gala. Simply greet people and chat with them as if you were yourself.”

 

“But what if I slip up and—”

 

I moved my finger up and pressed it against her lips. “If worse comes to worst, we’ll fold. I won’t carry out the scheme, and we can explain away my disappearance as part of a snare for The Grandmaster of Theft. I could say I was hiding elsewhere, waiting to spring into action or something.”

 

Her breathing slowed as she took deliberate inhales and exhales.

 

“Just do your best,” I said, “and I’ll take care of the rest.”

 

“Okay,” she said, her voice calmer.

 

I released her, and she took one more deep breath.

 

“Okay!” she repeated. “Let’s do this! As you said, the con is on!”

 

I smirked. “Yes, let’s.”

 

Becca took hold of the doorknob.

 

“And for the record,” I said, “Your best is the best. I trust you for a reason.”

 

This time Becca let out a genuine giggle. “I’d kiss you, but kissing myself would feel super weird.”

 

“Weren’t you just talking about how great I look now and how you wish me to keep this appearance?”

 

“I was joking!”

 

“Whatever you need to tell yourself,” I teased.

 

“You know what? I take back saying that I’d kiss you!”

 

“I see you’re already in the lying spirit. Stellar! Well then, let’s put that energy to work.”

 

Becca grumbled as she twisted the knob and yanked the door open.

 

A grin spread my lips wide. It was showtime at last.

Part 7 End

6