Chapter 6: Going home
415 2 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My stomach is rumbling, which is normal considering it's about noon. I follow Ewan and Katie into the elevator.  

Nobody is commenting on the noises coming from my tummy, so it must be pretty serious what's going on.

Ewan turns to face me and says "let me tell you this while we still have some time. You're now part of the ATF, even though you're still without a name..."

I nod...I know, I know, I can take a hint. I will settle on a name soon, sheesh. 

Then Ewan continues "I will see to it that you get something more appropriate to wear. The kimono was supposed to be a joke, but the joke's over. We have more important things to worry about now."

Ewan then uses a key on the elevator's panel and opens a decently concealed cover to reveal a few more buttons. He pushes the button all the way at the bottom of the panel, and the elevator starts moving.

It takes us down from ground level, yes down... The floor indicator now starts with a minus sign, -3,  -4, all the way down to -5. Then we step out of the elevator and we arrive at a security checkpoint. Wow, these guys surely take the concept of security to a new level.
Ewan takes care of the formalities and we continue our descent in another elevator, all the way down to level -20. Just what is this place??

We are being led into an enormous room where many people are working on computers and three very large screens are displaying some numbers that are meaningless to me. But one thing isn't....I see live streams of webcams, showing hurricane-like weather.  

"Welcome HOME, eh...Robert? Anyway, first things first. Katie, you too, listen please. Strange weather patterns are developing all over the world. Hurricanes, flooding, tornadoes, heavy rain. All of these things are occurring globally. But look at that display, it shows the sky right above this building." Ewan said, while pointing at the middle screen.

I'm terrified. We seem to be right in the center of a massive hurricane. Or at least something that looks like it. It keeps spinning, with us in its center. But hurricanes normally move...this one remains right here, seemingly not going anywhere. The sky is dark above New York. Let me tell you, this is beyond creepy!

"What is that?" I said out loud.

"It seems, however unlikely, that the mirror is affecting global weather. We seem to be in the center of a hurricane, but scientists are still disagreeing. FEMA is aware and they are responding to this. They just don't know why it's happening...yet. For now that is the way we are keeping it."

Katie leaves us for a minute, then returns after I had a moment to take in the gravity of our situation. She must have taken care of one of Ewan's requests.

Katie faces Ewan and says, "that thing out there, is now classified as a class A threat. This facility will go into lockdown mode within five minutes. We have advised the President to declare a state of emergency in order to help evacuate people from New York." 

Ewan nods in agreement.

"Katie...who are you?  You are not a normal counselor are you?" I look at her, but she smiles and looks at Ewan for approval. He nods.

"We have to come clean while there's still time. But first I need you to trust us as much as we trust you."

"I trust you! Both of you. I thought you already knew that!" I said, glaring at both of them. They still need to speak about trust? I did everything Ewan wants me to do. The whole mirror thing, did he forget already?

Katie raises her hand, telling me to stop speaking.

"We do trust you. Now let me tell you what you signed up for. We really work for the ATF. But in our case it stands for Alien Threat Force. Our organization kicks into high gear whenever rumors about beings such as yourself or things like UFO sightings start circulating. We are also in charge of this particular situation, as our actions somehow seem to relate to what's going on above us."

"So...no counselor?" I was still stuck at the revelation that Katie is part of a secretive organization.

"Well, not quite. But I still meant everything I said. Our organization is part of the US Air Force, so the ranks and uniforms are the same. I am Major Katie Davies."

"And I am Colonel Ewan Smith. You are now in a bunker, far below ground level. This place we call HOME. It's the place where all our orders come from. It's the real headquarters of our organization. You need to know this, but I don't have to remind you what happens if you talk to anyone about this."

I vigorously shake my head. These folks really are the men in black...

Ewan continues. "Good. Then let us continue. The mirror is currently being insulated. We hope that the insulation will stop the mirror from affecting the weather.

We brought you down here, hoping that it too might stop this strange weather somehow.  
So either your presence or the mirror are affecting global weather patterns, some other cause seems highly unlikely at the moment. 
This facility is the best shielded place in the world. From EM-shielding to .... let's just say it's well-shielded. Our defenses are also top-notch. So I'm afraid you have to stay down here until we figure out what's going on. Ah, and don't practise telepathy. We have zero experience with that, so please...please don't try that."

Again I shake my head as if my life depends on it. It might very well.

"So...you guys are the real men in black?"

They give me the silent treatment.....ohhh creepy.

I then followed them into a meeting room, right next to the room we were just in. Apparently people were distracted by the furry ears on my head. Well, I certainly can't blame them, it took me a while to get used to them too.

This meeting room has a window that looks out to the other room, so I can still see the three huge screens with information on it. Not that I understand most of it.

"Please change into this uniform. It should fit you. The kimono was just a joke, I never thought you would agree to wear that thing, so sorry about that." Katie's apology seems to be an honest one.

"Ah, well...it does look cute though, even though it's somewhat chilly." I look down at my kimono and slippers.

"Wel....get used to it, you're going to wear a skirt."

I probably looked at Katie in a peculiar way.

"Yes missy, that's the proper uniform for a lady, now get dressed. That's an order airman."

"Airman?" I tilted my head.

"Yes, that's your preliminary rank. We need to follow military protocol from now on, so at least try to learn and act accordingly. As soon as the current crisis has passed, we can talk about ranks, duties and wages. But now is not the time."

I nodded and ran to the toilet to change into the uniform. Ah, I probably should have saluted, but that's their problem for keeping all of this a secret. When did I sign up for this again? First they say "welcome to the ATF" and now it's more like "you're a soldier, behave!" Can I maybe reconsider? Well, where else could I go?

I get out of the kimono and get properly dressed. Only moments later am I wearing a dark blue skirt and matching jacket. My shirt...is it a shirt? Whatever, it is light blue. I look....just amazing in uniform. Except for the fluffy ears and the tail, they somehow don't belong in this picture. And finally I have some proper shoes with heels too! Can't wear slippers anymore, now can I?

I quickly join Ewan and Katie again, as we don't really have the time for this. Oh god, how do I address them?

"Aaaahhhh, that's much better. Now you really are one of us." Ewan said, giving me a sincere smile.

"How should I address the both of you now? I'm not a....military person after all." I glance at Katie, then focus on Ewan again.

"Don't worry about that for now. People here know who you are, so we can focus on our mission." Ewan said.
Heh, that's not fair! He's drinking a coffee! When did he get that?

"There's a coffee machine in the back, so don't give me that look, please." Ewan points to a place behind him with a thumb. Crap, am I really this easy to read?"

"Yes you are." He adds.

What?!! He read my mind? No way!

He gives me a smug smile, so I decide to change subjects immediately. 
"Okay, but what about the mirror?" What if it really is the cause of this abnormal weather?

"We are adding more defenses to further increase security. If the need arises, I will order the destruction of the mirror. Do you have any issues with that, airman?"  

"No Sir!" I saluted, earning a smile from both of them.

"Correct answer. That reminds me, we can't keep addressing you in a crisis as "you." I want you to decide on a name today."

I nod. Yeah, I really have to, this is getting annoying for everyone.

 

BEEP,  Ewan's radio is beeping for attention. "Ewan here. It what? And...I see. Ewan out."
Then Ewan informs us about current developments. 
"There are reports about a tidal wave coming this way and, believe it or not, the Yellowstone volcano is about to erupt." He shakes his head in unbelief. "Katie, we need to coordinate this with FEMA, they are going to need our resources."

"Yes sir. And I will arrange for basic lunch for our starving resident Kitsune here," Katie said, looking at me. 

I thanked her from the bottom of my heart and let them do their jobs. They left me alone, closing the door behind them. 

 


There's little else for me to do than to watch the activity next door.
How am I even supposed to think of a name for life within hours? How am I supposed to handle all that has happened to me? It's humanly impossible! Well, I'm not human, so there's still hope!!!

I take a deep breath. "Ah crap. Who am I trying to convince here? Shit. Cats don't like me. Mirrors don't like me. People put me in an asylum. I'm no longer human, noooo.....of course not.  Now I'm a female nameless alien. Even the weather is against me! Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I am sooo doomed....and hungry."  I said, then dropped my head to the table in surrender. "..Ouch."

Half an hour later my better-late-than-never lunch finally arrives. Just some basic sandwiches and tea, nothing to write home about. I would love to have something else for a change, but it's sandwich time again. And why the tea? You're guess is as good as mine...there's an abundance of coffee, water, tea and soda -or pop if you like- available right here in this room. 

But considering the circumstances, I really have nothing to complain...if my tummy can stop complaining, then so can I. The only thing I miss is someone sharing lunch time with me. What are Ewan and Katie doing now? Why can't I be with them? Do they think of me as a liability? 

After my lonely lunch, I decided to watch the screens from here, trying to understand their mystery numbers. Maybe those hurricane names can help me pick a name?
"Hurricane Annie, Bonnie, Cindy, Debby..." meh, that's not going to work. Do I really have to settle for Katie's "Ayaka"? Even though I already protested against it? For heaven's sake, why is it so difficult to choose a name?

The changing images on those big screens told me all that I needed to know...things weren't improving..they were getting worse. Images of tornadoes in Greece, snowstorms in Brazil....no, this weather was anything but normal.

It's now about 2 pm and I'm still home alone in this meeting room.
Watching those images for a while lowered my mood to an absolute abysmal feeling of surrender to the elements.

My eyelids are growing heavy and I have to sit upright in order to keep awake. Then something happens that receives my full attention....and blows away any sanity that I thought that I still had left. 

I hear a loud buzzing sound coming from behind me. I quickly jump out of my chair and turn around...I see a white flash, then I see someone standing there.

"What? Where did you come from?" I said out loud. My heart is beating so fast that I can feel it in my throat..my adrenaline is pumping through my veins, making me feel fully alert. Am I in any danger?

I need another second to realize that I actually should be running for my life and warn the others.
"INTRUDER! INTRUDER! GUARDS!!!" I shout as loud as I can while running into the large room next door. 

I continue to shout "INTRUDER" while pointing at the meeting room I had just left. Everyone stands up from their seats, and they are staring at me. Some have instinctively drawn their sidearms, aiming for me. 

"Don't look at me! THERE! Look there!"

Two armed guards follow my line of sight and run towards the meeting room, taking cover, then slowly approach the door. But then they suddenly stop. 

"STAND DOWN! NOW!," one of the guards shouts at the uninvited guest who now calmly walks into this room, his eyes focused on me. Then he or she is looking at the guards.

"STOP! Or we WILL open fire!"  The guard is taking his job seriously.

I take cover behind the desk next to Ewan. All personnel seem to follow my initiative and duck behind their desks or find other hiding places. 

Then the mystery guest raises their hands and says, "please, this is a misunderstanding. I mean you no harm. I'm here for THAT woman." 

While carefully peeking from my hiding place, I can now take some time to see who or what that is. 

His voice sounds male and he keeps pointing at me. Oh dear...

He's wearing a bright red uniform with white decorative stripes here and there. He looks somewhat like a firefighter. But some things are odd. A blue helmet with a reflective visor. Some kind of unfashionably big white watch on his left wrist. His boots resemble white snow boots. On his belt, at the position of his right hip, is something I would describe as some kind of sci fi laser weapon, or raygun if you will. He still keeps pointing at my position, so I duck behind the desk again. Oh boy, this is soooo not my day.

Ewan shouts "state your identity and your intentions or you will be met with deadly force."

"I am Specialist First Class, James Higgins from the UTF. I already told you that I'm here for that woman hiding behind the desk. Yes, you there. But as for you people, I come with peaceful intentions." He now stops pointing at me.

Oops, I got caught peeping again. Well, can you blame me?

Ewan stands up from behind his desk and walks halfway towards the intruder, his hand resting on his sidearm.
"Explain yourself. What's the UTF?"

"UTF stands for Unified Temporal Forces. She has committed an unauthorized class II temporal incursion, originating from another quantum universe. We detected her presence only moments ago, my timeframe that is. I am here to arrest her and to restore the timeline."

"Before we continue. Do NOT make any sudden movements. We will interpret that as an act of aggression, do you understand?" Ewan sounds absolutely serious. His voice gives me goosebumps.

"Of course, but I'm impervious to your level of technology." 

Great, the guy likes to use fancy words. I already hate him.

"We'll see about that. Now tell me, what do you accuse her of? Is this related to the weather outside?"

"The weather? Absolutely. But that's not all. She should not exist in this quantum universe. Her presence is disrupting the natural flow of time. We tracked major temporal quakes from our timeframe back to this timeframe, impacting the weather here. That will cause accidents to happen and people to die right here, right now. People who die before their time further impact the integrity of the timeline and in turn cause the temporal quakes in the first place. She's a paradox. Here mere presence is causing disruption to the flow of time. I am here to correct that anomaly before the future....YOUR future.... is destroyed."

I heard everything he said while hiding. Sooo..not my day.

Ewan then replies "I need more information before she's going anywhere. Let's talk first, allright?"

"Yes, but we don't have much time. And preferably without guns pointing at me. Not that they could harm me, but it's the thought that counts."

But before Ewan can continue, another FLASH appears, momentarily blinding everyone, including our intruder. Luckily nobody fires their sidearm or people would have already died in here.

Not even a second passes before everyone hears a loud and cheerful female voice address us. "Greetings good people. I was told that a young lady with fox characteristics is dwelling in this castle. Tell me, is that correct?"

Everyone is staring at this lady who appeared from nowhere.

She's a young lady, pretty too. Definitely a teenager. Fifteen? Sixteen years old? Something like that.
She wears a green dress with a pattern of yellow flowers. But her two giant transparent butterfly-like wings are what everyone is staring at. 

"Ehhh...heeeeeeelllllooooo? Caaaaaan....yoooooouuu.....uuuuunnnndeeerrr....staaaand....meeeeee?"

"And who and what are you supposed to be?" Ewan asked, motioning other guards to come closer and point their weapons at our new guest.

"Well, DUUUHHH !!!   I am a fairy, obviously. Lori Lilybug at your service! Are you the king?" 

Is she maybe on medication?

Ewan ignores that last remark and says "excuse me? You're supposed to be a fairy? Aren't you a bit....big for that?" 

Be careful Ewan, she's still a lady. But he's right, she's not how I had imagined fairies to look like.

"Now now....no need to be impolite. My mom told me I was just fine the way I am. So please tell me, dear sir. Do you know of the woman I am looking for?" Lori jumps and makes a full 360 to show her enthusiasm, "WOOOOOH!" then sends a sincere smile in the direction of Ewan. That fairy is definitely on medication.

"What is it that you want from me?" Oh god, I should have kept silent. But nevertheless, the deed is done.

Ewan's glare could have killed me if he were Superman. Lucky for me he isn't.

"Ooohhhh...THERE you are. Goddess, why are you hiding? We have been looking all over for you. Nature is out of balance, we need you back immediately."

Goddess? Poor child. Must have hit a tree or two on her way flying here.

And FLASH. Again everyone is blinded.

Something else appears in our midst. It's a horse! No...a...oh boy. A unicorn! A beautiful white horse, with a white horn on its head. And of course it can speak..."Where is my mistress?" 
Definitely a female voice.

I can only assume she wants to see me. A loud neigh reverberates through this room, after which the creature  moves one hoof like she's going to attack Ewan. 

"What...what are you?" Ewan asks the unicorn. I think Ewan is about to lose his sanity. So am I.

"I am my mistress's spirit animal. A pureblood unicorn and damn proud to be hers. Now where is she? Tell me, are you keeping her prisoner?" She follows her question with another neigh.

Katie carefully moves over to me and can't suppress a remark, "You are quite popular today, aren't you?"

But the unicorn interpreted that as "there is your mistress!" And she comes right for me. 

The guards stood ready to fire but the unicorn understood and stopped.
"I would never hurt my mistress. I have no business with you people. I demand that you let me see her."

I decided to play ball, because I can't take this anymore. I stand up...ever so slowly...and face the unicorn.

"Mistress! I am so glad that I have found you!"
Did you know that unicorns can smile? Now you do.

Of course she is addressing me, because why not? I walk over to the unicorn, while everyone is watching my every move. The fairy and mister future guy seem amused for some reason, but don't say a word. Maybe we should let everyone take a number?

"May I touch you?" I asked the unicorn.

"Of course. I am yours." 

I gently touch her head and pet her as carefully as I can. She moves her head against my hand.

"You're beautiful....and so soft." I couldn't suppress a smile. This is no ordinary horse.

"Ahh mistress, that's what you always say. It comes naturally when my mistress takes such good care of me."

Oh boy, where is this conversation going? Is the unicorn...blushing? Time to switch topics, and fast!
Lucky for me someone else thinks the exact same thought.

"When you are done my goddess, can I have a word please?" The fairy asks politely, while impatiently imitating a jogger doing warm ups while standing. 

But before I decide to answer the fairy, I look up at the ceiling and shout "is there perhaps anybody ELSE who is looking for me? I seem to be popular today, so I'd rather say this only once." 

I look around, then above, but nothing happens. "No? Alright then....EVERYONE JUST STOP! WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?" 

Sorry, I lost my temper. Won't happen again. I think.

Then everything quiets down. It is eerily silent, there is absolutely no sound coming from around me anymore. Nobody moves at all, people seem to be frozen in time. I am literally the only one moving. The colors around me are fading into gray. What's going on here? Am I having a stroke? It would be the right day for that, I'm sure.

Oh god, how much I desire to hear someone sneezing right now, or any sound at all.

"Did I just freeze time?" I say out loud.

"No.......that would be me. Don't tell me you really believe that you are a goddess?" I hear a loud male voice coming from the meeting room. Or at least it appears to be coming from there. God, that voice almost scared me to death!

"What?" I said. But I don't see anyone?

I then hear footsteps. But I still don't see anyone. The footsteps are getting louder and louder, they are definitely coming from the meeting room. My mouth is agape when I stare at yet another being entering the room. This one seems to be of the creepy kind. 

"It's about time, young lady. Robert...Ayaka....whatever your true name might be. Finally understood that things are a bit off balance, haven't we? Took you long enough. I was about to intervene."

"And....who might you be, my dear good fellow?" I gave up and unintentionally was very polite.

"I am Alysdair, young one. I am a Watcher of this universe. And James, a.k.a. future boy over there was right about you."

The Watcher seems to be male, but I can't see his face, it is as dark as the night sky. Only little moving lights are visible where his face should be, truly a scary face. He is dressed in a black robe while hovering above the floor. He doesn't seem to have legs or arms. Then...where did the sound of footsteps come from?

"Eh...mister Watcher, you know that James guy?"

"Yes I do, watching over the flow of time is one duty we both have in common. But that is not a matter for today. Let me tell you what has happened."

"Excuse me, Watcher. May...may I ask to include Ewan over there and Katie here in our conversation? 
They are taking care of this world."

"I see, I will allow it." And suddenly both of them were moving again and they realized soon enough what was going on.

"Listen to me. The three of you and I are now outside the normal space time continuum. So you, young lady, cannot cause any more harm to this universe. It also means we can speak in private now. We have all the time in the universe."

"Who are you?" Ewan asks. Still a bit agitated from all the unexpected visitors dropping in without warning.

"I am a Watcher of this universe, and you two are included in this conversation by her request. Now don't interrupt me again." The Watcher said.

I recognize the look in Ewan's eyes. He can sense that the Watcher is no one to mess with. 

The Watcher then continues his monologue. "Back to you, young nameless lady. You shouldn't be in this reality. Your very presence here is slowly breaking down the barriers between universes and even the barriers between alternate realities. I have been watching you since you arrived in this universe. We have initially classified you as a low threat element. However, now you seem to be the very focal point of temporal disruptions. In other words, you are a glitch, a paradox.
You shouldn't exist, and yet...here you are. Your actions cannot be anticipated by the workings of this universe, because you are not of this universe. Every action you take can yield unknown counteractions."

Ewan and I exchange glances. Katie also looks very worried.

"What is it that you want me to do, Watcher? I mean no harm at all." I said, perhaps pleading for my life.

"I know that you have good intentions, otherwise your existence would have ended long ago. We have a proposal for you."

I nodded and motioned him to continue. 

"This particular universe has existed for 326.7 billion of your years. Countless civilizations have risen and fallen. Planets were created and destroyed, to make way for yet more ones to be formed. But in all that time, an anomaly such as yourself has never happened before. A quantum signature is hard locked into a universe. You can study other universes, even interact with beings in them. But leave your reality and enter another? Never! What happened to you is nothing short of a miracle, a glitch, a fluke. It should never have been possible, it is against the fundamental principles of this universe's law of existence!"

I then remember a story I once read, maybe I can reason the same way with the Watcher.
"Perhaps that is the law, but the laws might be different in my original universe. I respect the law."

"Indeed, words of wisdom. But in any case, it should not have happened in the first place..."

Bingo, that worked...kinda.

"Now back to my proposal. We are unable to send you back to your originating reality. But we can adjust the timeline to include your life as if it would have originated in this universe. Effectively you will be given life. I am here as a courtesy, informing you that the universe has adapted to you. Or should I say, it has adopted you. Now you do have a future here. You may experience some side effects, but what those are, even I do not know."

"You said this is a proposal. So, purely hypothetically speaking...what would happen if I were to refuse your proposal?"

"Simple, you would cease to exist. We would erase you from the timeline. You would never have entered this universe or this world in the first place."

"Alright...that's a no brainer. I accept your gracious proposal Watcher."

"Excellent. May your words of wisdom illuminate other people's hearts in your new life. So shall it be!"

The Watcher disappears and things flash and swirl all around us, making my hair move in the resulting wind. Then life moves on as if nothing had happened. No fairy, no unicorn, no future guy, no Watcher.
But at that point I had already fainted...falling into blissful oblivion. 

Unbeknownst to us at the moment...just after the timeline changed and the after effects were still echoing through the universe, someone uses a mirror on their world to travel to another one. But due to the universe adjusting itself to incorporate me into this reality, that person arrives somewhere else than they were originally supposed to be arriving. And again this caused an appearance without a mirror as an exit point...right here, on Earth.

 

Next chapter: Chapter 7: Small adjustments 🤔

19