Chapter 9: Caught
571 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After arriving in the apartment, which now seems even bigger, I show Nyana the kimonos she can choose from.

"Amazing, Maya. This place....this is really only for us? And these clothes?"

"Yes, it's ours. We can stay here for a while. Maybe until they find something else for us. And these clothes are really ours, euh, yours."

Of course I can't tell her they were first intended for me. Now that I think about it...isn't it strange? The timeline was adjusted to change my body to that of a child, but I still have the same clothes hanging on the rack. Shouldn't they be all little kimonos by now? Oh god, I have to stop thinking about this, nothing makes sense anymore. Let's blame the Watcher, shall we?

"Maya, are you alright? Do you need a nap?"

"What? No..just thinking..about..stuff."

She returns to the clothing rack, ignoring my remark. "Ahhh, these are so cute. Which one would you take Maya?"

"I really like the dark blue ones." Well, it's my honest opinion at least. I prefer "normal" clothes to kimonos, but who am I?

"Ah, you do? And I think I understand why. They must remind you of home. That color has always been your favorite. But pick something else for me, will you? What do you think would suit me?"

"Nyanaaaaa.....I don't know...how should I know? I'm only four years old?"

"Ha ha ha. Are you now? You have been away only for a short while, but your little adventure on this planet has taught you well. You know what I'm talking about, don't you?" She locks her eyes onto mine, making me feel reeeeally uncomfortable. It feels like she's looking right through me.

Ah crap. Here it comes. I'm looking innocently at my plushie. What do I even tell her?
"So......you want to hear the truth?"

"Yes, always. Let's have it, Maya. All of it."

"I..uh.....huh?"  I couldn't finish my sentence. Somehow Nyana stopped moving all together...it's like she's frozen!

"Nyana? Are you alright?" I try waving my hand in front of her face, but I can't reach that far.

"Greetings little one."  

"Ahhh!" Ohhhhhh crap. I recognize that voice...it's him again. I quickly turn around and indeed....I see...the Watcher.

"Hello Watcher....you startled me!"

"That wasn't my intention." The Watcher replied casually, as if he said this all the time to his victims. There must be more situations when he needs to visit someone, right? Anyway...

"Yeah...I know. How can I help you today?" I can't see his face, but his voice is calm. He really didn't want to startle me.

"Ohhh. So polite. Well...I am here to help YOU...in a way. You know why, don't you?"

"Yeah...she's onto us, isn't she?" I look at my shoes. They're still dirty, not that I care at the moment.

"Yep, she's a smart one, there can be no doubt about it. I have a proposal for you, as you somehow still keep glitching. The idea, when you and I first met, was to give you all the memories at once, but you glitched again.
That's why you are having those headaches."

"So that's why things are so confusing? Me switching from a little girl to an adult and back all the time?"

"Bingo. That's exactly right. We never intended to strip you from your memories, but you were intended to have a proper life."

"Okaaaay....but what do you have in mind, Watcher?"

"You really are a kind and gentle child. You are already acting more and more like a child of your age should. 
But you are not adjusting fast enough. Simply put, your level of intelligence doesn't suit your age."

"Forgive me for being blunt...but didn't you orchestrate this? I didn't ask to be a child?" I put my hands against my waist.  

"Ha ha ha.. true. But watch your tongue, little one. Things can still change."

Ooops. "I apologize. I meant no disrespect, honored Watcher, sir." It never hurts to be extra polite, does it?

"No it doesn't. Yes..I heard your thoughts. Now what are we going to do..
I can change her memories of you. That would be easiest. But not fair to her. She's right, it is your doing that caused this situation. But I have only myself to blame.
I should have checked on you earlier. So...what's the best course of action? This is a unique situation. So a unique solution is needed. I don't want to remove your memories, for they would fundamentally change who you are, and that would violate one of the laws of this universe."

"But didn't you already change people's memories? Nyana here thinks I have been a little girl in her care since I was born. I even have some of Maya's memories. I feel like a total cheat."

"True, but they are a result of the universe itself, incorporating your very existence into this reality. It obviously respected its own laws about removing your memories. Other people received new memories as well so you could fit in. Nobody's memories were removed." 

"Really? But what about the people in that big room who saw a fairy and a unicorn of all things? They forgot, didn't they?"

"Ohhh, you are a shrewd one, aren't you? You are only partially right though. That is the paradox you created by unintentionally glitching. Due to adjustments in the timeline, some things just didn't happen. I can't believe I'm talking to a four year old about the multi-dimensional aspects of the universe's intrinsic consciousness."

"The...what?" I am sure that my expression shows one thing, and one thing only: total and complete confusion.

"Exactly my point."

"What??? You lost me. What about the clothes...you know? The kimonos there. If I had really arrived here as a child, I would have seen little kimonos hanging there. But they are still the same as before. How do you explain that, mmmm?"

"Ah c'mon. Yes, you're right. Okay? Happy now? What happened to you never happened before. Not even future boy could fix this, even though he was so sure of what had to be done. The timeline was changed, but somehow you managed to even glitch what was supposed to fix the biggest glitch ever: YOU!"

"Soooo...it's my fault now?"

"Yes and no. Not yours by choice, no. Let me try to keep this simple. Contrary to everyone's expectation, your quantum signature still remains that of the other universe."

"That's supposed to be simple?"

"Okay then. Imagine your body resonating like a magnet which is being pulled towards another magnet."

"So...then you need some other magnet from the other universe to keep me here?"

"<Sigh>. Nevermind. If we could do that, we could have sent you back there in the first place. I'm just trying to tell you that you need to be anchored to this universe instead of to the other one."

"So why don't you?"

"Because it has never been done before. We don't know for sure what will happen. If you glitch again, it might be a big one."

"This is already giving me a headache. Maybe we can go back to why you arrived here?"

"Ah, yes. Let's not dwell on your mistakes."  He ignores my death glare. Is he even alive?

"Yes I am. Anyway, you said you feel like a cheat. You're not. From the perspective of the universe, you really are four years old. Well, more like five, but that's besides the point. Your true parents are the ones who look like you do. They have those ears and a tail. The only difference is the color. Yours are a silvery white, theirs are red-brownish. Ah, nevermind that.
Why did I even tell you that? Ah, right, to tell you that you are no cheat. You really belong in this universe now. The universe has a plan for you, just like everybody else. Your parents wanted a little girl and you wanted to live. So everybody got what they wanted. Seems only fair, right?"

"Well yeah. But still, I was never supposed to be here. And now my parents have me, just because I want to continue living."

"I see. And whatever I say or do, you would always feel the same?"

"Yes, even though I am very happy here."

"Then..how about this. Back to the glitch fix. We will replace your body with a new, but identical body. One from this universe. Your current one....will never have existed. We believe you will be fine and that this should stop you from causing any more issues. I promise that if something unexpected should happen, we will immediately step in to save you. This universe never breaks its promises.
Then we will merge your old and new memories at once, but your old memories will seem more like a dream. Your new life will feel more...real."

"But..I already have a new body? Whatever, I give up. Do I even have a choice?" 

"There is always a choice. You can choose to end your existence in this universe. No? I already thought as much. So you agree?"

"Yeah, just get it over with. Honestly you don't make any sense at all. If my current, glitching body never existed...then how did I become Maya? You know? Never mind. Just do it."

"Good girl. You simply can't fully comprehend paradoxes, nobody can. Unless you are a Watcher. When we are done, I will give you a little present, because you have been quite cooperative. How about that?"

I nod, but before I'm done understanding what's about to happen, I feel very dizzy, but only for a moment.

"How do you feel?" The Watches asks, honestly caring for my well being.

"Eh..the same? The dizziness wasn't so nice though."

"Tell me, how old are you?"

"I'm four years old, mister."

"Good good. Do you want your reward now?"

"What's a rewaaaaaad?"

He smiles, then he says "a present because you are such a good girl!"

I giggled and then said "Present? For me? Yes yes!" I even jumped to show my eagerness.

"So cute. Your tail tells me you are quite happy. So here we go. Exactly as promised. No more glitching. I hope."

I couldn't hear that last part, but who cares? I'm getting a present!

Suddenly it becomes really dark around us. I'm afraid. My tail is no longer swaying...it is almost resting lifelessly on the floor. My furry ears are flat on my head. "What's happening, mister?"

"Calm Maya. Don't be frightened. You are safe. Just wait a bit more."

"Oookay."

Then I see a shadow moving...it's coming closer and starts looking like a person. Closer and closer...it slowly becomes more visible...it's... "Nyana!" I say out loud.

Nyana notices the Watcher and steps in front of me "stay back Maya." She tries to summon fire from her hands, but nothing happens.

"No need to worry Nyana. ..oh crap I start speaking like Maya." He facepalmed. "I meant Nana".
Wait...he now has hands?

"Who are you, and where are we?" Nyana looks around, making sure that I'm safe. Then she glares at the Watcher again. 

"One moment Nana. You both are safe here. I will explain in a minute, okay?"

She nods cautiously while making sure that I stay behind her.

Then I see two more shadows appearing....further away.

"My lady, my lord! How..."  I see Nyana bowing when I peek around her to see who she's talking to. 

"Mommy! Daddy!" I want to run to them, but Nyana grabs me and holds me tightly. 

"Wait a moment Maya, they may not be real." Nyana said.

"Maya! And Nana too? What? How?" Mommy says, but she can't come over to me. There's some kind of invisible wall between us.

"Everybody wait for a minute and let me explain, okay?" All eyes are now focused on the Watcher.

"Who or what are you? Release them at once!" Daddy demands.

"Now now...that's exactly why you can't come near us for now. Let me explain, okay?"

Mommy and daddy nod, but mommy keeps looking at me, while I try to get away from Nyana. But she's too strong. I can't escape.

"I am a Watcher of this universe and mean you no harm. This place may feel real to you, but you are more or less in a dream state now. You are outside of normal space and time so you all can meet here. Do you understand?"

Everyone nods. Well, except for me. I don't think I understood that part.

"Is she safe?" Mommy asks.

"I guarantee that she is and will be safe, yes. Now let me continue. Your daughter, Maya, came to this world by stepping through one of your portals. Unfortunately it malfunctioned. But she is fine now."

"Maya! Tell me, what happened!" Mommy's eyes are wet. Is she crying?

"Don't cry mommy! I'm fine! Nyana has been with me all the time. I have new friends too! But I want to go hoooome!"

"Yes sweetie, we miss you too. Hey Watcher, at least let us be near our child." Daddy said.

"I know, I know. Be patient, I will allow that soon. But first listen to me, yes?"

"Alright then. What exactly happened to her?" Daddy said.

"It may sound complicated, but it's the truth. Her memories from your world merged with her memories from her life in another world. It gives her an additional many years of memories and experiences. She's still the same Maya though...but with more memories. She will need some time to adjust, but should be her old self in a few days or so."

"Oh goddess! Maya! How are you honey?" Mommy is now really crying.

"Oh for crying out loud. Alright go hug her." And the wall disappeared with a flash. I don't care that the Watcher appears to be annoyed, even without him having a face, I can still tell.

Mommy runs to me and Nyana releases me. I'm running to mommy as fast as I can until she embraces me as tight as she can. "Oh sweetie, we have missed you so much! How are you sweetie?"

"Mommy, mommy." I rub my nose on her tummy, then she picks me up on her arm. I feel tears falling down on my cheeks.

Daddy embraces us too. "We were so worried when we lost you. Thank you Nana for following her and keeping her safe!"
 

I see Nyana bowing to my parents, "I was so relieved when I found her, and now....so overjoyed that we are all together again!" Is Nana crying too? 

The Watcher doesn't seem to agree to her remark, though?  

"No you are not. Together I mean. This place isn't real." The Watcher said.

"What do you mean? We...can't take her with us?" Mommy said, looking really worried.

"No you can't. But I wanted to ask you something." The Watcher answered.

"What could you possibly want to ask?" Daddy said, obviously irritated that I couldn't stay with them.

"Little Maya here is worried that you don't accept her, because she has more memories than she should have. She sometimes feels that she isn't your real daughter. Can you perhaps tell her how you feel about that?"

"Maya, sweetie." Mommy is looking directly into my eyes. There is still a tear in one eye, now rolling down on her cheek. "Honey, mommy and daddy love you very much! You are still our little Maya. Even the...the eh...Watcher man said so. No matter how you feel...you really are our little Maya."

That..hurt..but in a good way. But why do I have to cry again? Tears are flowing and I can't even see properly anymore. "Mommy, daddy, it's all so confusing. Do you really like me?" I say with a childish, trembling voice.

"Oh goddess. What did you have to endure? At your age." Mommy doesn't know what to do, to help me calm down.

Excuse me, my lady. "Your daughter has gained wisdom and experience, but she still is the Maya we know and love. But she's also more brave than you could imagine. She protected me and herself by finishing off a Vordaug!"

Why are mommy's and daddy's eyes big now?

"She did...WHAT?" Daddy asked.

"Her ancestral blood activated and....well, let's leave the details for later, shall we?" Nyana said.

My parents don't say a word, but they seem confused..they are nodding though.

"I hate to interrupt your little reunion, but you need to return to your realities now. Listen. You will be together soon. But not yet. Events need to unfold properly. The universe needed to intervene to fix her little mishap with that portal. So your little one needs a lot more nap time in the coming days, so she can be her old self again. Well, she's young, but you get my point." The Watcher said. 

Meanie! I don't want to sleep!

Mommy then put me down on the floor, or whatever this place is. Then she kneeled and hugged me, while saying "Maya, sweetie. We are so happy that you are not hurt. Listen to Nana and try to get enough sleep, okay?"

"Yes...mommy." 

Mommy then nuzzled me and daddy kissed me on my forehead.

"We'll see you soon, honey. We will wait for you to come home!"

"Mommy!!!" I shouted, but my parents became transparent and were gone before I could hug either.

"Nana, make sure that she sleeps enough. She should be fine soon. And Maya...do you now believe your parents still love you? Even though you have some more memories?" The Watcher sounded really kind, but his face is still creepy!

"Yes mister. Eh, Watcher. I think I'm starting to feel better already. And...thank you. I...I feel right now. Like the real me. Like the real Maya! Well, more or less. Probably more though."

"Ha ha ha. You just need some sleep, little one. You will be fine soon, I promise. Now if you don't mind, I have other business to attend to. Be happy Maya. All of you."

And with a flash, the two of us were back in our apartment.

Nyana immediately hugs me "Maya sweetie, are you alright?" She wipes a tear from my left eye.

I nod while caught in her gentle embrace.

"Why didn't you tell me that you had those other memories? That explains it all!"

"Soooowwie."

"Awww, that's the Maya I know. Now if you don't mind....we need to...what did Katie call it? Shoowaaaa?"

"Shower you mean? Of course." I wipe the last of my tears from my eyes and point at the bathroom door.

I follow her into the bathroom and point at the shower. She takes in the view...pristine white tiles, a toilet, shower, large bath, and a washbasin. But Nyana's eyes are locked onto the bath.

"You have a bath here? Come Maya, you can explain that shower thing another time. I want a good bath! How does it work? Do I speak to it?"

"Eh? No? You just turn those knobs, then you have to mix warm and cold water to your liking."

"Really? how primitive. Our baths are better, don't you think?"

I remembered my home as if I had been there yesterday. I don't think it's far off from the truth now that I think about it. "Yeah, ours is much better."

I won't bother you with my bathing routine. Nyana made sure to properly wash me to the point that I couldn't relax anymore. She said that the monster's blood was everywhere. But still...I can bathe myself, you know? Then I at least wouldn't have soap in my eyes as I have now. 

"Oh c'mon Maya, stop pouting and relax. You know I didn't do that on purpose."

"I know, but it still stings."

At this point we hear Katie come into the room. She tells us that our fresh clothes are on the floor, just outside the bathroom door.

"Alright, let's get dressed. But first, time to get you dried off."

I grimace, because I know what's going to happen. She picks a large towel and wraps it all around me and makes sure there is no drop of water left on me. And now...just before the part I hate...I escape her clutches and the towel drops to the floor.

I really want to dry my ears and tail myself, because I can actually do it better, without hurting myself! 
But then instinct takes over and I shake, shudder and swing like a dog who returned from swimming in a pool.

"Maya! Ah! Stop it!" 

But it's too late. My ears and tail are as good as dry, but the bathroom itself...isn't.

"Now look at what you did. <sigh>. Sometimes I wonder whether you are a little girl or a Kvir."

A Kvir is....well actually it's just like a dog on Earth! 

"Sowwiee. It just happened."

"Now come here. COME here I said!"

I decided that obeying her would be in my best interest. She then dried my ears and tail the old fashioned way....until they hurt. Look at them....not fluffy at all.

After drying herself off, she took the clothes and underwear from outside the bathroom door and dressed herself while I waited, again wrapped in a fresh towel. 

Katie must have noticed that Nyana didn't select a kimono from the rack, so she selected a bright red one for her. Really? I wouldn't dare be seen in such a color. Nyana however seems pleased with it and her tail confirms my assumption.

Nyana turns me around for some reason and that makes me face the mirror again. It currently only shows a white object with a face and a tail peeping out. The bright red kimono behind me, painfully contrasts against the pure white towels. 

"Maya, stop staring and focus, will you? <sigh>. Don't give me that look, we're almost done."

Then Nyana starts dressing me.

"Arms up....and all done."

What did Katie select for me? I have white socks and plain gray pants. The sweater is a warm, soft pink sweater with..are those foxes? Oh Katie, pink AGAIN, you couldn't resist, could you? The pants are a tight fit, but the sweater must be a hand-me-down, it's too big. God, it's so warm in the bathroom with this sweater, my face is heating up rapidly.

"Don't look like that. I know the clothes are a bit too big. It's just for now, okay?" Nyana said.

"Ooookay." I said meekly. Do I really have to wear this? Then again...nobody cares what a four year old wears.
I simply shrug and decide to ignore it.

We leave the bathroom, and we both sit down on my bed. I feel much better already, it's much cooler here.
Katie told me earlier that Nyana would get her own bed soon, but somehow I doubt that she will use it anyway.  
Near the wall are two freshly cleaned white shoes...they're mine....thank you Katie!

"What are those things?" Nyana asks me while pointing at something near the foot of my bed.

They are two pairs of...yes, what are they? They seem to be modified earmuffs. But instead of a warm fluffy cover for your ears...there are fake ears! A set of fake human ears! 

"Eh...I think they want us to wear those. Can you give me the small one?"

Nyana gives me the small one. I walk over to the mirror and put it on my head. The fake ears are pretty authentic looking. Nobody would guess that they were fake at first glance. Now it looks as if the fake ears are the ones on top of my head. So THAT's what they are thinking....this way we can pretend to be humans wearing fake fox ears!

"Ah...so that's what they are for. Is that a custom here?" Nyana asks, tilting her head.

I give Nyana a real dumb look. 

"Ohhh....so they are intended to....to make our real ears appear to be fake? Pretend to be human?"

"Yes. Exactly that!" I said.

She also walks over to the mirror and puts them on her head, but it seems that she still needs to adjust them. Her fake human ears appear to be hovering in the air...

"Not bad, maybe this actually works. Let's see what Katie thinks, shall we?" Nyana said with a smile.

But then she makes a strange sound "iiiiiii!" and jumps onto the bed. Only then does she realize that I'm still standing on the floor. She doesn't hesitate for a second and pulls me onto the bed, making me fall flat on my nose. But the bed is soft, so no worries.  

Riiight...she often makes that sound when she sees a spider. Truth be told that ours are much bigger than the ones on Earth, but still...

"M...Maya! What is that creature?" She helps me sit up straight and points down to the floor. 

"What? What creature....ah that? That's...Snowball."

"A snowball? Are they poisonous?" She already has one blue foxfire in her hand, ready to throw it at Snowball.

"Noooo! Stop! It's just a stupid cat. It's...name.......is........Snow..................ball...."
But I can't think anymore, my speech slows down until it comes to a complete halt. My eyes slowly start to glow red, and my vision changes into a more black and white color. The cat however is extremely well visible, the rest...not so much. Within a matter of seconds I find myself chasing after Snowball, like a cat going after a bird. Call it poetic justice if you will. I would never hurt any animal, but my instincts don't respond to reason. 

Just before getting my claws on Snowball, I find myself hovering in the air. Something caught me.
The cat runs away with lightspeed while making its signature screech sound "mwaaaaaa!" I start hissing at whatever caught me, until it drops me on something soft. Not even a second later, and I can see colors again, and realize what happened. Nyana threw me on the bed!

"Maya! What are you doing?"

"Sowwiee."

"You said it's stupid. Then why try to catch it?"

"I don't know. I don't like cats. Maybe that's why?" I simply shrugged. I don't know why I did that. I would never hurt the creature, eh, cat.

"Maya, I really think you need to practice restraint."

"Yeah....sowwwiee."

"Ah come here, you little monster catcher." And she nuzzled me while I was caught in her loving embrace.

She then puts me at the edge of the bed, with my feet dangling in the air.

"Hold still Maya, I still need to brush your tail and your hair. Do you have a hairbrush somewhere?"

I shrugged.

"Well, you're a big help." But it doesn't take her too long to find a hairbrush.

First she brushes my long hair, being careful with the ears. It's strangely relaxing for some reason. 
Then she uses a hair pin she found in a drawer, a pink one, to keep my hair together. Then she puts some strands of hair behind my fake human ears and my reflection in the mirror looks really...human?

"How did you know to put my hair behind those ears?" I asked Nyana, our eyes met in the mirror's reflection.

"Oh that? I saw Katie doing that many times during breakfast this morning. I thought it looked cute that way, don't you agree?"

"Yeah. It's really nice. Thank you." I jumped off the bed, but got caught immediately. I was sitting on the bed again before I even realized it.

"Now wait a minute, young lady. You know that taking care of your tail is important."

"Aaaaaaaaah, really? Do I have to again?"

"Yes you do. Now hold still Maya."

She then brushed my tail for about five long, boring minutes, until she gave me the all clear sign.

"Thanks Nyana!"

"Ah ha ha. Don't you look cute now? Just let me take care of mine and then we can go and see the others, alright?"

I nod, but I'm actually focused on more important matters. There's a little tail peeping out from under the bed. No, it's not Snowball this time. I gently tug on it...what could it be? But it doesn't move. One more tug and I see what it is...it's Aika, my plushie! 

And there we go again, my four year old mind takes over from my more mature mind and before I know it, I'm hugging my Aika again. This feeling is amazing! I feel love for it and want to protect it. But before my analytical mind kicks in again, Katie and Nyana are standing in front of me. 

When did Katie come in...?

"Awww. You are sooo cute!" This time Katie gives me a hug. What did I do to deserve this?

"Yes, isn't she? Look at those little ears. They almost seem real." Nyana said.

"Yeah, don't you think? Believe it or not, one of the tech guys came up with the idea. Their team custom made them this morning. You can adjust the size....like that." Katie explains. 

"Ohh..it fits comfortably now." Nyana said, her tail emphasizing that she was in a good mood. 

"Katie...?" I whispered to Katie.

"Yes, sweetie?" She whispered back to me.

"The Watcher came to visit us." I continued to whisper for some reason.

"WHAT?" She almost shouted, which made me duck and cover my sensitive ears.

"Oh god, I am so sorry for being loud, Maya." 

Well, her extra cuddle made up for it.

"It's okay. You just surprised me. Anyway, Nyana, this is about the Watcher..."

Nyana now has a serious expression on her face, same for Katie.

"I told Katie that the Watcher visited us...." Nyana nods and motions for me to continue. "....He said that things should be okay now and that I will be back to the real Maya soon."

"But you ARE real?" Katie didn't understand.

"I know. It just means that my other memories will seem like a dream. So while I can still properly remember....thank you Katie. And Ewan too." I said, looking down at my feet.

That earned me a pat on the shoulder from Katie. "Awww, you are too cute for my health. Did he say anything else?"

"Ehhh...yeah he did! He said we will go home to mommy and daddy soon! And I saw them too!"

"Who? Your parents?" Katie is beyond surprised.

"Yeah! Like a dream, but still real. They still love me, Katie!"

"Of course they do Maya," Nyana said. "Besides, I was there, Katie. Maya speaks the truth. We are going home soon!"

"Wow, I don't know what to say. I...I'm happy for you two!" Katie's eyes seemed to be a bit moist.

"Forgive me Katie, but...you don't seem really happy?" Nyana is a bit surprised.

"Well...I am...happy. Of course I would miss you both. You are my dear friends now. Do you know when and how you will be leaving?" Katie said.

"No, but I'm sure there will be a way for us to come and visit many times, right Maya?" Nyana put her hand on Katie's back for a moment.

"Yes! Of course we will visit. Or you visit us?" I said, while my now fluffy tail started swaying.

"Yes, I don't see why not? Goddess knows there is plenty of room in the tavern. So...perhaps?" Nyana said.

"That would be something special to look forward to. Let's talk about something else. I was in a good mood, and I need you both to be in a good mood too. Can you do that?" Katie starts to smile again.

"Yep!" I said. "Did you see my new hair pin?"

"Yes, honey. And your new fake ears too. Now you both look like you are humans who are pretending to have a tail and furry ears. Like two sisters, or maybe mommy and her daughter."  Katie has that mischievous look in her eyes again.

It took a few seconds for Nyana to understand Katie. "W..well, I'm no mommy. I could never...never pretend to be her mother."  She's blushing a bit. Is she embarrassed?

"I have a surprise waiting for you two. How about it....mommy?" Katie said with a teasing voice.

"Ah..eh he he....come Maya, we need to go before Katie really believes that I'm your mommy."
She helps me put on my freshly cleaned shoes and thanks Katie for cleaning them.

"I think you are a good mommy, Nyana," I said.

And bingo, from ten to a hundred percent blushing. 

"M...Maya..."

But she couldn't continue her sentence...I hugged her, well I mostly hugged her legs, but that's besides the point. She didn't say anything. She picked me up and I was safely in her arms before I even noticed what was happening. She really is good at these things. Also good at stealthily changing topics.

"Katie.....? What's the surprise?" I asked.

"Oh...you remembered. Well..I think I can tell you now. First something we need to do, and then..something fun!
The three of us and my little Allie are going outside to shop for a few clothes. You really need them. Then...and here's the surprise...we all are going to eat at a Japanese restaurant!"

"What's a Japa-eese restaurant?" Nyana said, her head tilted.

"Really Katie? Wow! Nyana! You are going to love it! We are going out of this building. Have some fresh air. 
Then clothes shopping, which is boring. But then we can eat what we usually eat at home."
Only now did I notice what I had said. Japanese food is what we eat at home? Yeah, that's about right.
I hugged Aika intensely, until the others understood why my smile had disappeared.

"Just a little while longer, Maya. You will go home. Just look at this as a holiday, okay?"

I nod. And then...my smile slowly reappears.

"That's my girl," Nyana said.

"Well said....mommy...." Katie said, grinning. 

It took a while before everyone....eh...Nyana, was ready to leave.

 

Next chapter: Chapter 10: Fresh air 🥶

17