Chapter 10: Fresh air
453 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Biology can be quite bothersome sometimes, don't you agree? Our tails are located at a rather inconvenient place on our rears.... They create a little gap between my sweater and my pants, and I'm sure that Nyana has the same issue. Maybe Katie can think of something. Lucky for us, our coats will be warm enough to keep the cold winter breeze from entering in that spot. We desperately need clothes that can handle our tails!

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that Katie now also wears civilian clothing, not her usual air force uniform.

"Allie is waiting downstairs with one of the guards. She's probably upset because I promised to be back in a few minutes. Ah well...nothing I can do about that now." Katie says while we are walking to the elevator. She sounds a bit sad, it's her little girl afterall. 

While using the elevator to descend to ground level, Katie makes sure that we're wearing a warm coat and then reminds us to keep checking that our tails won't get stuck in anything. Earth is not a tail-friendly planet afterall. Swaying them is also a bad idea; they need to look fake.

"But why don't we just tie them on our backs, like I did before?" I asked Katie.

"Because you are now showing off your ears as well. People will think that you are just cosplaying, besides how do you think that you are going to eat at the restaurant with a big, fluffy pillow behind your back? People will notice..." Katies says with a smile, while looking in the mirror and putting a few stray hairs back to where they belong: behind her ears.

"Ahh, yeah right."

This is not the same elevator that took us to the parking deck. Anyway, the elevator doors open and we enter the building's lobby where a very lonely looking little girl is waiting for her mommy to arrive. That must be Allie!

"Mommy!" Allie jumps from her seat and runs to Katie who can barely intercept the incoming hugging attack.

"Oof. Allie... people think you haven't seen me for years!" 

Then little Allie spots Nyana and me, looks down to see our tails with their tips resting on the floor and then focuses on our fluffy ears. Just when I think that she will say "hi," she hides behind her mother.

"Oh come on Allie, don't be shy. I told you they were coming with us. Say hi to them." 

Allie vigorously shakes her head. Her mind is made up: not gonna happen. But Allie didn't think her mommy would betray her...   Katie steps aside so Allie is in our direct line of sight again. 

"Hello little one. What's your name?" Nyana shows her usual warm, motherly smile.

"Allie," a shy voice replied. Allie is only three years old, so we can hardly blame her for being shy.

Nyana sits down on her knees in front of Allie. "Hello Allie. My name is Nana. Do you know who this is?"

Allie shook her head when she glanced at me. 

"Her name is Maya. She's only a bit older than you are. Maybe you want to be friends?"

I slowly walk towards Allie and reach out with one hand, and surprisingly she accepts my hand. But it's no handshake, we are just holding hands as if we were best friends.

"Awww, will you look at that?" Katie said. "They are friends already. Well done Allie, I'm proud of you!" Then she kissed Allie on her forehead. She takes Allie in her arms, making us stop holding hands.

Nyana feels that it's appropriate to do the same with me, even though I can walk fine by myself.  

"Thanks Stuart, for taking care of little Allie. You're a lifesaver!" Katie thanked the guard for keeping an eye on her little girl. 

"Sure, anytime." Stuart said. A man of few words it seems.  
Or not..as he continues "wait, she forgot her plushie toy thing." He then walks over to Allie and returns the plush cat to her. 

Allie takes it into her small arms and immediately nuzzles her little treasure, while Katie thanks him for noticing, as Allie won't sleep without it.

 

 

After driving us to a nearby mall, the time has finally come to see how people react to the two fake-humans. 
Katie opens the back doors and us kids are being carried towards the mall. 
"Beep beep," the car doors are locked by remote and the car alarm is activated. Now we're ready to go.

From my position in Nyana's arms, I take in the surrounding area. This mall has a gigantic parking lot where many people are walking from and to their cars. And..then it happened. More and more people stop and stare at Nyana and me. Well, mostly curious and friendly stares that is, but still they're staring.
I don't like the stares and hide my face behind Nyana's arm. 

One lady approaches us and says in a cheerful tone "awww, that's just too cute. Are you here to meet Santa too? My Jennifer was ecstatic to sit on his lap. The pictures I made are priceless!" 

"Yes we are, that was part of the surprise though.." Katie said.

She's holding Allie with one arm only, her other hand resting at her waist. Is she..is she perhaps reaching for her sidearm to protect us? 

"Oh...ooohhh....O god, of course.  I'm sorry! How can I possibly make this up to you?" The lady apologized.

Ah right, it's December now, I already forgot. Isn't it a bit early for that though? Whatever, it's another world, anything's possible here.

"Don't worry, they will like it anyway." Katie replied, still sounding somewhat disappointed due to the spoiled surprise.

"Ah..could I take a picture of mommy and her daughter? Their ears and tails are so cute and lifelike!"

Katie couldn't reply before the lady snapped some images of us. ...Let's not make an issue out of this.

"Thank you! And have a good time!" The lady smiled and left us standing here in the parking lot, wondering what just had happened. She's a mom, so she's probably too busy to wait for our reply. Whatever.

"Okay...that happened, let's go inside." Katie said, shaking her head and determined to focus on the good moments to come. She properly took Allie in her arms again.

Long before we reached the entrance, we could hear some music coming from inside the building. 


People in front of us cause the sliding doors to open and the music to reach our ears in all their wonderful Christmassy glory. Seems like they know Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in this world as well.
I can't help myself to hum along with the tune, while we enter the mall.

Nyana whispers in my ears. "Maya, do you know this song?"

"Yes, it's a well-known song for this holiday season. You like it?"

"Sure, but....why is there a huge tree on the inside?"

Katie heard that remark as well as I did. "Do you know why, Allie?"

"For Christmas presents!" Allie proudly proclaims.

"Ahaha....let's say you are almost right."

In front of us is a huge genuine Christmas tree. Not a plastic imitation tree, no a real one! Well-decorated with beautiful ornaments and blue, green and red colored presents around it on the floor. And let's not forget to mention the multitude of colored lights all around it. A beautiful and large star decorates the top of the tree. 
The presents are probably fake ones though.

"Do you girls like it?" Katie says smiling.

"Yes!"  "Yep!"  "Amazing!"   Katie looked surprised at Nana who had also replied to her question, then smiled at her too. Nice to see Nana adapting to this world and appreciating our traditions so soon.

"It's an important part of one of our traditions, celebrated at the end of the year, Nana."

"I see. What a wonderful idea. We have a similar tradition, but in spring. And outside, never inside. But I have to admit, it looks amazing." Nyana said.

"Nana, can you please hold Allie and Maya's hands? Just follow that line of people and have fun. I'm sure you will figure it out. I will quickly grab some clothes and will meet you here again, okay?"

"Of course, Katie. And thank you for allowing us to experience this...tradition of yours. It's amazing."

"Oh the fun part still has to come, but I won't spoil it. See you later, ladies." And off she was. 

We are now standing in line for a special event. I know what's going to happen, Allie probably too, but she's still young, so who knows. The greatest shock will be for Nyana, and perhaps Santa too!

"You two, make sure to always hold my hands, okay?" Nyana said.

Allie and I nodded, resulting in a smile forming on Nyana's face. She really loves to pretend to be our mommy for a while, I can tell.

Nyana bends down to me and whispers, asking me what is about to happen.

I can't possibly allow for a situation where Nyana is the one who starts crying or even worse, attacking Santa. So I have to explain things. "That man in the red and white suit over there, is called Santa Claus. He's an important part of this tradition. Kids can sit on his lap and ask what present they would like to receive. Many people will take pictures so the kids won't ever forget this special day." Oh boy, I start sounding like an adult again.

"Wow, really? Do I need to do something? Like a ritual dance, recite a sentence or something?"

"No, Nyana. Just pick us up and put us on Santa's lap for a few minutes. So don't worry and enjoy."

"Thank you Maya. You really are knowledgeable about this world, aren't you?" She pats my head.
She seems happy and relaxed, as her tail loves to emphasize. But it already happened before she noticed it.

"Mommy! That lady's tail moved!" A kid behind us shouts.

"Sure it did honey." 

Lucky for us the mother didn't notice, or was otherwise too busy to care about it.

After hearing jingle bells for a second time in half an hour,  I understand why the staff are not whistling the tunes anymore. Poor people, I pity them. And still they are smiling and doing their best to make it a fun time for us kids.

We are now next in line for Santa. An oversized Elf in green clothes, fully equipped with pointy ears, kneels before us who are dutifully holding Nyana's hands.

"He...llo...my....little friends. What are your names?" Mr Elf said.

"This is Allie and this is Maya," Nyana said, completely unaware of everything relating to Christmas. 

"Ah, sorry ma'am, they were supposed to tell me. Part of the event y'know?"

"Ooooohh..my mistake. Please proceed." 

The Elf simply shrugs and focuses on Allie, making sure to smile at her. "Was your name......Annie?"

"Allie giggled. Uh uh. Allie."

"Aaaahh...so it's Allie. Good. You may sit on Santa's lap in a moment, okay?"  

Allie nodded. She seems a bit nervous about meeting Santa.

"Good girl."  And then the Elf looks my way. "And you are.... Mmmmmaggie.... Mmmmaddison... Mmmarge... Missy..."

"No no..it's Maya!" I giggled. Oh god, I think I finally regressed to the little girl stage.

He gives me a warm smile. "And you will be after Allie, alright?"

"Yes mister Elf." 

"Good girl, and so polite."  The Elf winks at Nyana. Does she understand that the wink was intended as a compliment? I think she's afraid to say something wrong, so she just stays quiet.

The Elf then stands up and walks to the people behind us, as we are now ready to meet Santa himself!

"Ho ho ho! And there is little Allie! And Maya too!"   
Oookay..must have a microphone hidden somewhere, or the good man is a psychic.

Nyana looks surprised, and I can see the amusement in Santa's eyes. He definitely loves the part where people don't understand how he can possibly know their names. Nyana carefully puts Allie on Santa's lap, while making sure that I don't leave her side.

"Now tell me little Allie. Have you been a good girl this year?" Santa says.

Allie nods shyly and I barely hear a meek "yes Santa," coming from her. 

"Oh ho ho ho. You ARE on Santa's nice list. What present would you like from Santa?"

"...a dolly..."  Allie didn't look into Santa's eyes, but still answered him.

"Alright honey, I will see what I can do for you." Then he nods at Nyana.

"Ah, of course." She puts Allie back on to the floor, and me on Santa's lap. Then she immediately holds Allie's hand again. 

Play nice Maya...be nice...

"Oh ho ho ho. Little Maya. Have you been a good girl this year?" 
He switches between my furry ears and my eyes multiple times, but in the end he doesn't seem to have the time to comment on them. Oh...and.., this man is like an old fashioned record player, one that repeats the same part because there's a scratch on the record. Poor guy. Let's help him.

"Yes Santa." Unlike Allie, I lock my eyes onto Santa's and give him my brightest smile.

"Oh ho ho. You are a brave one aren't you? And what present would YOU like to get?"

"I would like a plushie with a cuddly tail...and...give you something too, Santa."

"I will see...wait what? You want to give me...eh Santa something?"

I nod and motion to him to come closer.

"Santa, your beard is a bit too low." I whisper in his ear, sounding like the innocent child that I am.

His eyes grew wide for a second, then stealthily adjusted his beard, making it look like he was thinking about a reply. "Ho ho ho. I will see what I can do for you." Then he whispered in my ears, the fake human ones, "thank you very much for helping Santa. Now please make room for the others."

"Thank you Santa!" I said, smiling.  

Nyana then helps me off Santa's lap and takes both Allie's and my hands. We follow the route which another Elf points at, taking us away from Santa.

"Well....did you two enjoy seeing mister Santa?" Nyana said cheerfully.

"Yes!" we both said in unison. Allie looked at me and giggled, which made me reply with a giggle of my own.

"Aww. You two are friends already, aren't you?" 

Allie nods, as do I.

"What should we...." Suddenly Nyana stops talking and turns around quickly.

Why? Because I yelled really loud "EEEEEEEK!!"  

Someone was pulling my tail and it hurt like hell. I saw a young boy running away, and a little girl running towards me. Now what? 

She says with her hands folded together "sooooorry. Marco is a meanie."  She's probably around five or six years old.

But before I can reply, she notices my tail herself and is mesmerized. She decides that the hunting season is now officially open. She squishes and fluffs my tail like a plushie, causing me to repeat "EEEEEEEK!!"

"Stop at once, young one!" Nyana yelled at the girl. 

The girl now sees the tears in my eyes and the death glare in Nyana's eyes, causing her eyes to become watery as well...

She said "I'm.....I'm really sorry!" while running away. 

Then Nyana spots the boy, who is currently hiding behind other people. He's grinning about his pranking gone right. But he didn't account for Nyana's telepathic capabilities, for the boy suddenly appeared to have a massive headache. But only for a second. No harm done.

"Maya, are you alright?" Nyana focuses on me again.

I nod. "Why did you give him a headache?"

"Ah, you noticed that? Sorry, I acted on instinct, I shouldn't have done that to a child. But he really was asking for it."

The boy and his sister are talking, both seem fine, so no harm done. Still....I don't think that Nyana should have done that. But my thoughts are interrupted when I feel my furry ears being touched by someone. I turn around and instantly smile. It's Allie, she's trying to console me by petting me like a cat.

"Aww. you're so sweet, Allie. That boy was a meanie, right?" Nyana said.

Allie nods and her eyes are now also firmly locked onto my tail. Oh no......oooh no.. 
But it's too late, she starts petting my tail, giving me goosebumps. It's like someone is blowing in your ears, it's that sensitive. Tears are forming in my eyes, but I can't just shout at her! I must endure! Allie is just too young to understand and she doesn't really want to hurt me.

"Come Allie, we need to go." Allie immediately returns to her position, holding hands with Nyana.

"Thank you Nyana!" I thought.

Nyana looks my way, surprised, and I can hear her thoughts in my mind: "you keep surprising me. I heard that. You're welcome Maya."

Now it is my turn to look surprised, then smile and nod, indicating that I received her telepathic message.
My telepathic message was on instinct I guess.

 

 

Only moments later we hear a familiar voice. "Hi everyone. Did you enjoy seeing Santa?"

"Yes mommy!"  "Yes, Katie!" we both said at the same time, earning us a head pat from Katie.

"Allie is a really well behaved and polite girl." Nyana said. Then she realized that she forgot someone.

"And Maya too of course."  She puts her hand on my shoulder.

Nice save Nyana.

"Happy to hear you had a good time."  Katie said. Then she whispered, "Nana, I bought some underwear and clothes for you two. We just need to figure out how we can properly get them to work together with those tails of yours. Otherwise we just have to cut 'em off."

Nyana looks at Katie....is she serious? "Katie....they don't grow back!"

"Ha ha, just kidding. That face of yours, you really think I would do that?"

"Ah..right. Then...thank you for your help. Really. You and your friends have already done so much for us."

Katie wanted to tell her that the others are her colleagues, not friends by definition, but she decided to let it slide. "Let's put the clothes in the car and head for the restaurant. It's already later than I thought it would be, so we need to step on it."

"Step on what?" Nyana said, looking utterly confused.

"Ah, it's just an expression. It means we need to hurry, or we will be late for lunch."

Allie and I are now holding hands with Katie and Nyana respectively. Both adults are carrying a bag with newly purchased clothes, while heading to the car.

We arrived at the parking space in front of the Japanese restaurant Sakura Noodles & Sushi after driving at rather fast speeds for fifteen minutes. Katie is probably expecting a ticket for speeding, but somehow I don't think that she minds in this case. The result is that we arrive at 12:10, only ten minutes late for lunch. 

Ewan meets us at the entrance and looks at his watch.

"Had a fun time shopping with the girls?" he asked Katie. 

But before she can reply, Allie and I say "Yes! Yes!" and "We saw Santa!" at the same time.
Ewan smiles and somehow Katie looks relieved. Did we just save her from trouble with Ewan?

Just before Ewan wants to walk back inside, I pull at Nyana's sleeve.
She lowers her head so I can reach her ears, "Nyana...I need to pee." Well don't blame me for my behavior, blame the Watcher!

"Oh dear. Katie, is there a...what's it called again, a toi-lot here?" 

Katie smiles. Why is she looking at me like that?
"A toilet? Sure, why don't we all go there first. But, eh, Ewan..."

"It's alright Katie. I can wait ten minutes more." 

Katie gives him an appreciative look by nodding, happy that he understands. 
Then the four of us visit the restaurant's ladies room, where two restroom stalls are available to us.
It's nice and clean and smells fresh as well, albeit a bit chemically.
Allie needs some help, but I'm way too old for such a thing...well....I guess I'm regressing somewhat lately...
Once everyone is done, we wash our hands, which seems to be a challenge for us little ones. We stand on our toes and the adults help us wash our hands.

Just before we leave the ladies room, I see Nyana put a few hairs behind her fake human ears. She's definitely copying Katie. I try not to stare, because I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable.

Allie and I now follow Katie like little ducklings who follow their mother duck. Nyana needed to use the mirror a bit more, but then quickly joined us.

Ewan stands up from his seat at our reserved table and courteously offers Katie a seat.
Mmmmmm....are they...is there.....perhaps.....more going on?

Katie smiles and I think I see a little blush there. In any case, she seems to appreciate the gesture. 

"Good afternoon, honored guests...." A waitress, probably in her mid-twenties, chose to use a rather silly opening line, as true Japanese people would greet their guests more....honorably. But who cares, we are here for fun! And good food, I hope.  "Oh..there's a kid's dining chair right there ma'am," she says while facing Nyana.

"Thank you very much. Good idea, servant." Is Nyana's reply. Is Nyana perhaps a bit nervous? She's definitely worried, maybe afraid to make a mistake?  

"Ehhh...you're welcome ma'am."  The waitress is probably used to many things by now, but to be called a "servant?" It sounded completely normal for me, but then I understood the waitress's expression. It's considered more than a bit rude here on Earth.

Katie hears the conversation and wants to stand up. Nyana then raises her hand, as in a stop sign, showing her  not to worry. I can see that Katie appreciates her help. 

Nyana gently puts Allie in the kids chair, so she can sit a bit higher. Allie smiles brightly, she's probably used to such a chair. The waitress couldn't help herself and had to return a smile to Allie. Then she waits a moment to let Nyana handle me. Wait....oh no no.

Nyana looks at me....but I shake my head vigorously.
"Uh-uh, I want a normal chair, Nyana."  I successfully refused the embarrassing chair adamantly and was given a nice cushion to sit on. 

"Alright....I am Alma, your WAITRESS. Are you all comfortable? The little ladies too?" Duh, did you really need to emphasize that? Nyana can't help it, you know?

"Yes, Alma, we are fine. Thank you very much. Would you perhaps have a menu for us?"  Ewan is quite assertive, isn't he? Or just plain hungry.

"Of course....here you are....and one for you....aaaaaand you."  The adults now all have a menu, but Nyana can't read a thing. Neither can I anymore.

"Thank you." Ewan said, already browsing through pictures of delicious looking food.

Alma then walks over to me and asks me "You look like a beautiful kitsune. Just like your mommy, right?"

Nyana and I exchange glances for a second, then I answer Alma while trying to sound like a four-year-old.

"Yes..miss, I like foxies. Nyana said Japa-eese is yummy!" Oh crap, I overdid it. But...does she buy it?

"Wait...what? You can speak Japanese?" Alma is far beyond surprised.

"Eh....what?" I said, looking confused and tilting my head.

"Just tell her that you can understand her, sweetie." Katie said. Something in her eyes told me to do what she said or else suffer the consequences.

"Eh. Yes, miss. I can understand you."

"Wow, and that at your age. How old are you?"

I put up my hand, to show five fingers. Nyana then grabs my hand and gently makes me move my thumb, so I only show four fingers.

"Only four? Amazing. Would you please excuse me for a second? I will be right back to take your order!"

But Alma already left us, before being excused. Oh boy...Ewan is not looking amused.

"What's up with her?" Ewan remarked, shrugging.

"I have a feeling that lunch is being delayed," Katie answered, then took a deep breath.

And indeed, we now see an elderly lady approaching us. She walks faster than she probably should at her age.

She bows to us and speaks in a polite tone of voice. Her age is noticeable in her voice too, but she's very kind.

"My apologies, I am Hisakawa Akirako. Alma can be quite...enthusiastic. She should have taken your order and not inconvenience you." 

"Don't worry ma'am, it's no problem, really. May I ask if you are perhaps the owner of this restaurant?" Katie tries to be respectful. 

"Indeed I am. My husband and I moved here about thirty years ago. But after he passed away, I was tasked to take over from him."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." Katie said, but was interrupted by the lady.

"No, no, don't you worry, dearie. That's not why I came over to you. I wanted to see the little one for myself. She really speaks Japanese, doesn't she? Now...do you my child?" 

"Yes ma'am. Nice to meet you."  She doesn't need to know that I don't really speak Japanese or even English for that matter. It's the necklace which is doing all the translating here.

"Amazing, and so polite too. That takes me back.....," she looks up at the ceiling for some reason, "...anyway. I won't keep you from lunch. You must be starving."

"Excuse me, do you also have vegetable soup?" Nyana asked, not really diplomatic I guess. Or also very hungry...

"Huh, you can speak Japanese too? And you both are even playing as Kitsune, aren't you? If you really want a Japanese experience, then please allow me. And yes, let me take care of your order young miss."

"Ahem." Ewan is trying to get the restaurant owner's attention. "Will Alma be returning? We wouldn't want to inconvenience you, ma'am."  He of course had no idea what we were discussing in Japanese with the restaurant's owner.

The lady smiles at Ewan and replies, "it warms my old heart to meet so many nice people. Please don't worry. Allow me to be useful once more at my old age."

Ewan can't ignore the smile and returns it, followed by a little bow, while still sitting at the table. You just can't help but be respectful yourself, when treated with such kindness.

Katie whispers something in Nyana's ears. Nyana seems to think for a second, nods and moves her hand towards her necklace and her hand now completely covers the "translator" stone.

"Ukana ma he watame no ha, tabemono na. Uchi ni waka hiyaru. Shiru na onega jaa." [ We look forward to a traditional Japanese meal. It reminds us of home. But a soup would be best to start with. ] Nyana said. 
I could perfectly understand what she had said, but the lady seemed to recognize several words. Either that, or she's just being polite and ignores the total and complete gibberish coming from Nyana.

The lady's eyes grow wide in surprise.

"You....you...speak ancient Japanese? It sounds like...Kansai dialect. No no no no, that's not it. Some words sound like the language of the Hokkaido Ainu. Eh...they are the people native to northern Japan. Just who are you, my dear?"

Nyana let go of her stone and said "I was just curious to see if my lessons in ancient Japa-eese were helpful. It's more of a hobby, really. I am truly amazed that you could understand my gibberish!" 

Nicely said Nyana!

"Indeed. And you should be, as my father taught me the old ways. No, rather, he forced me to learn it. But I have to admit, I never expected that it would ever be useful to me. And now, at my old age of eighty-four, I am still surprised by you young ones. Now if you don't mind, allow me to bring you something to remember. Ah and don't worry about the price, I promise to keep it more than reasonable."

She bowed and left us with a smile.

"That was dangerous Katie. But I have to admit that I am surprised. How could she understand Nana?" Ewan said.

"It has been my theory since day one. These two must be real Kitsune. Real in the sense that somehow their ancestors visited Japan and may have even started the Japanese language. Or at least have had a contribution to the language." Katie sounds like a history teacher now, doesn't she?

"You keep surprising me with your uncanny ability to see patterns where others don't." Ewan said while shaking his head, but he was smiling. So is Katie... Thank god, we are not in trouble!

"Mommy...I'm hungry..." little Allie said.

"Oh sweetie, just a bit longer. We will eat soon, I promise." Katie pulls gently on Allie's chair to move her closer to the table. Then she brushes Allie's cheek a few times with the backside of her hand.

"Okaay." Is Allie's only reply.

"Ewan?" I said.

"Yes Maya?"

"I hope that our people can work together in the future."

"Well said. Like a true diplomat. But you forgot one thing, little one."

"What?" I tilted my head. 

"You're stranded here for now." Ewan smiled. 

"Ahaha.. Sorry, I became so enthusiastic after hearing about ancient Japan that I forgot about...the traveling part."

"I know, I was just teasing you, you little monster hunter." Ewan said.

"Ewan, maybe you shouldn't..." Katie is trying to stop me from thinking about the attack. Too late.

"Oh right, sorry Maya. Tell me, are you looking forward to eating?" Ewan tries to switch the topic.

"Definitely!" I said.

"Great, so am I. I'm famished." Ewan replies, emphasizing by patting his stomach.

But I can't let it slide.  "And I feel fine about the monster stuff. It's like a dream, it wasn't me somehow. So it's okay to talk about it."

"Nana was right, you really are strong. But still, don't think about it, okay?" Katie says.

"Yep, no problem."  There you go, I said it. I really don't mind talking about it. Maybe it's normal for this body? It really seems trivial to me.

Finally Alma finds her way back to our table. She bows long and deep for some reason and says "I am truly sorry for delaying your lunch and my disrespectful behavior. Your first part of lunch has arrived. Miso soup. Please enjoy."

Only moments later are we enjoying our miso soup, especially Ewan who seems to slowly recover from his hunger. 

"Oh goddess, Maya! This..this tastes exactly like our soup at home, don't you think?" Nyana exclaims.

"Yes! It tastes the same. Yummie!"

Katie is alternating between feeding little Allie and eating herself. I however insisted on eating myself. 
But in the end I was again fed by Nyana who thought that I shouldn't make a scene in the restaurant. So I had to endure being fed again. Nyana...I'm four, not two!!!

Nyana was pleasantly surprised to find chopsticks on the table, which she happily used. That's right, we use those at home as well. All these little signs..did my people really visit ancient Japan? Or is it just some cosmic coincidence? 

By the way...did you ever experience being fed with chopsticks before? Well..I have...
One time Nyana placed the food near the back of my throat, causing me to cough violently. But all ended well.

It was mostly veggies for me, just like always, but at least they tasted great!
I'm simply jealous when I see Ewan and Katie eat tempura and rice dishes. 

After a very enjoyable lunch where Nyana and I discovered many food items that tasted similar to home, we were ready to leave the restaurant. Ewan paid for our meal and added a generous tip, which took some convincing. The lady refused to take it, but Ewan made sure that it was a sign of respect and appreciation from us. The lady finally caved in to Ewans request. We bowed in unison, including Allie! I know customers aren't supposed to bow, but well...we were really grateful for the hospitality and wanted to show it. The lady's smile showed us she appreciated it and she bowed as well. Nyana and I then thanked Katie and Ewan for the wonderful meal which reminded us of home. 

Luckily Katie's and Ewan's cars were parked close to the restaurant. Only minutes later and we were sitting in our respective cars, trying to overcome the overload of food in our tummies, but we endured...

It's about 2 o'clock in the afternoon when Nyana and I return to our apartment. Or should I call it "home" by now? Katie is currently bringing Allie home where family will be watching her for the remainder of the day. 

I'm sitting on my bed and notice that a second bed has appeared out of thin air. It wasn't here this morning!

Nyana sits next to me. "Maya, did you have as much fun as I had today?"

"Uh huh, it was fun to be outside again. And nobody really minded our ears and tails. But I don't think we can do that more often. People will start asking questions."

"Yes, I'm afraid you are right. But with a bit of luck we can go home soon." Nyana is taking off her fake ears. 

She notices the sad expression on my face, then says "Maya, it's time for you to take a nap."

"But I'm not tired?" Where did that even come from? I'm not yawning or doing anything else that could indicate that I would be tired.

"Oh yes you are. I know you, remember? You may not always sound like the four-year-old I know, but I can still tell when you are feeling sleepy. And don't forget the Watcher...he insisted that you needed your rest, so you will feel more like yourself again. And in the end you really are only four years old." She then takes off my fake ears and puts them on a small table close to the bed.

"Almost five." I am not pouting, not at all.

"Yes, but still four."

"Ah...you win. But what if I can't sleep?"

"Just try to sleep, little one. You really need it. I will be here to watch over you."
She helps me into my pajamas.

"But...I'm not afraid?" Why would I be?

"I know. I'm just worried about the fate of that furball." She's grinning.

"Ahaha. Snowball. You are probably right."

"Now try to sleep. And don't forget Aika." She kisses me on the forehead and gives me my Aika to cuddle with. Then she pushes a button on the wall which slowly makes the windows become less and less transparent until the room is almost dark. I forgot to say that this room is equipped with many gadgets. Like the windows which can change when a current runs through them. Katie made sure that Nyana understood this particular gadget.

Whether it was Nyana who ordered me to sleep, or my body that required it, or just the enormous meal in my tummy....I fell asleep pretty quickly.  

It's now four o'clock in the afternoon. I wake up slowly and stretch my arms and legs. I really slept that long? Then I see Nyana lying on top of her bed, without a blanket on her, fast asleep. It looks funny, she's curled up with her tail around her. She's cuddling it like a pillow. How is it that you can cuddle your own tail, but when someone else barely touches it, it gives you goosebumps? Strange body...

But before I can wake her, someone gently knocks on the bedroom door. I walk towards the door and open it, lucky to barely reach the handle.

 

It's Katie, but I immediately put a finger on my lips. Katie nods and follows me to Nyana. 
Katie smiles and puts two bags of clothes on my bed, then sits on the bed herself.
She pats the bed, indicating that I should sit next to her, so that's what I do.

"Were you able to sleep, Maya?" She whispered. 

"Uh hu." I nodded and returned the whisper. But it was enough to wake Nyana.

"Aaaaaaah."  Nyana stretched and only then opened her eyes. "Katie! Maya! What..?"

"Don't mind us Nana, you need the sleep as much as Maya here. She said she slept well."

"As did I. I guess I really needed it. Did you really sleep well Maya?"

"Uh hu." My feet are dangling in the air while still sitting next to Katie.

"You seem more like your regular self, don't you?" Nyana said.

I do? Really? But I can't answer her because Nyana hugs me and nuzzles me to her heart's content, causing me to giggle.

"Who's a cute little Kitsune? Yes you are!" She tickle-attacked me, causing me to laugh loudly.

Katie takes in the view and is fighting the urge to join. "When you two are done, I want to show you the clothes I bought for you."

Nyana then modifies the window settings to allow light to come through, after which we inspect our new clothes. 

"We had them adjusted for your tails. See?" Katie shows us pants with a zipper to allow our tails to go through instead of on top of it. It's done in such a way that it looks like it has always been there, really well made.

"Interesting. That really seems to work. No more cold backs for us, right Maya?"

I already lost interest and am watching outside. It's raining again. We were very fortunate to have good weather so far, but now the rain hits the windows pretty hard. I can see the few trees we have, far below us, moving in the wind. Dark clouds are preventing the sunlight from reaching us, but it's late anyway. The sun will set any moment now. Are mommy and daddy thinking about me too? I didn't finish my thoughts when the lights in the room activated, it was Katie who flipped the switch. I turn my attention back to them, only to see that they are smiling at me.

"What?"

"You were daydreaming. About home, weren't you?" Katie asked.

"Yeeeeah."

"We will be having dinner soon." Katie is trying to improve my mood.

"I'm not hungry." Just let me relax here. I'm still stuffed.

"I know. Just come along, you will feel better soon, okay?"

I nod.

Nyana helps me get dressed in my new clothes. Again pants for me. Light blue pants, white socks, same white shoes and a yellow sweater. Well...the colors are different this time. Oh wait, the backside of the sweater depicts the cookie monster. How appropriate! That could be me in yet another reality. It's nice though, everything but cats please. 

"Do you like it?" Katie says after Nyana finishes dressing me.

I look at my reflection in the mirror, and the colors actually complement each other. Nice! And the clothes seem to fit better now, too! 

"Yep! Much better. Thank you, Katie"  My tail confirms that I like it.

"Your welcome, sweetie. And your tail seems to be happier now too." Katie says, suppressing a chuckle.

Nyana remains silent and just smiles at me. She's going for another kimono, a much nicer dark blue one. Maybe she wants to save her new clothes for tomorrow?

It's now five o'clock and people are enjoying dinner in the company restaurant. In front of me is only a cup of tea, because I'm really still stuffed from lunch. Nothing else can fit in here today, trust me.

I'm not the only one though, because only Ewan is eating a little snack. Katie and Nyana are also enjoying tea, just like me. Ewan seems to be in the mood for a beer as well. Are they even allowed to drink that here?

Ewan notices me staring at his beer. "Do you want a sip?"

I vigorously shake my head. I hate beer. Wait. I do? Since when? 

Katie was about to lecture Ewan about the risks of letting children drink alcohol, when someone approaches our table. 

It's a lieutenant, I think. There seem to be quite a lot of them here, whatever. "Excuse me, sir, an urgent message arrived for you." He then handed over a tablet to Ewan and left us alone again. 

Ewan read the message and his expression changed from amused, probably still thinking about the beer, to concentration, then to surprise.

"You are not going to believe this." Ewan said, in a very serious tone. His expression matched his voice.

"What happened?" Katie asked.

"All four of us are going on a trip the day after tomorrow. So please prepare for a long trip and bring along clothes that will keep you warm. You will need clothes for a few days. Understood?"

"Yes sir." Katie said, while Nyana nodded.

I had no idea what he was talking about, so I just stared at him until he elaborated.

"Let's move to a more private location." Ewan suggested, or rather, he insisted.

We are now in the meeting room that is already starting to feel like home, and Ewan is explaining what the message was about.

"Our satellites over Antarctica detected an unfamiliar but faint energy signature emanating from about a mile below the ice. The signal started about the same time when you, Maya, touched the mirror for the first time."

My eyes grew wide. What does this mean?

Ewan continues, "The ATF was only informed an hour ago. We are the ones assigned to investigate because we are the only ones who seem to have a link to the timing of the signal. And to the appearance of the artifact that was found."

"They already investigated it?" Katie asked, waiting for Ewan to make eye contact.

"Yes, and guess what? The team reported that a transparent being with fox ears and tail refused them entry."

Nyana and I look at each other in anticipation.

"Yes, you two are coming with us. According to the description of that being, we believe it to be another guardian. Just like the one we met when we activated the mirror. Maybe one of you can convince it to let us pass and see what we are dealing with. And don't worry, we will take extreme measures to keep everyone safe. But we must identify if it poses a threat to Earth."

"Home?" Was the only thing I could say.

"Perhaps." Ewan responded with a single word too.

 

 

Nyana spent an hour packing everything, even though we will only be leaving the day after tomorrow. I decided it was best to let her concentrate, although that ultimately just meant her worrying about things she could be forgetting. Our new clothes are definitely coming with us. Katie told us that the ATF would take care of the protective clothing for when we set foot on the ice. Brrr, I already feel cold just thinking about it. Was it really the same type of guardian we had met before? Or does it represent someone...or something else?

I'm so excited, thinking about all the possibilities that I can't sleep. Not even Nyana can help me relax. She's trying to tell me a relaxing story but I keep interrupting her by asking questions about home. She finally gives up and smiles...deciding to just join me and give me my Aika. So much for having two beds...

"Nyana..."

"Shhh. I don't want to hear another word from you. You need your sleep, as do I."

"But..what will we do tomorrow?"

"No...not a word, Maya."

"Oookay."

She kisses me on my forehead and says "sleep well little one. It is only a matter of time before we get home. The Watcher said he wouldn't lie to us. So just relax and dream of home."

I don't dare say anything again, and Nyana interprets that as my intention to really go to sleep.
My tail somehow finds its way to my face again, so I can gently cuddle it. Aika is in my arms too. 
Then I feel Nyana's tail again, keeping me warm. Sooo warm. I really....need.....to......zzzzzzzzzzzz.

 

Next chapter: Chapter 11: Fun day 🥳

15