Chapter 12–First night
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jack POV:

We are now sitting inside the cave, and Uncle Steven is making us dinner. At the entrance of the cave, we have made a barrier of fire so that no wild animals can enter the cave. We did this because animals are usually afraid of fire.

In no time, our dinner was ready, and we all sat down to eat. After finishing eating and drinking, Devin told us, “I will first stay awake and guard the place while uncle Steven and Jack, you will sleep. Thereafter, Jack, you will guard and then Uncle Steven.” 

Uncle Steven and I nodded. There is no time to sleep peacefully in the jungle because you never know when wild animals will attack you. For that, we will monitor them one by one. Uncle Steven and I fell asleep, while Devin stayed awake and kept guarding. 

At 12:00 a.m., he woke me up from my sleep. Well, it is my turn to stay awake and guard the place. Devin lay down and fell asleep. 

I sat down near the entrance. The fire we had lit in front of the cave was also getting low, so I brought some wood from inside the cave and put it in the fire. This fire cannot be extinguished. 

I sat next to the entrance and started looking around. Everything around is quiet, and you can't hear any sound in any direction. As if all those who were awake in the morning have fallen asleep. The forest in the morning looks beautiful, but at night the forest looks so scary. In such silence, I feel as if I can hear my heartbeat. But I'm not afraid of that because I have my gun. When it is in hand, why does courage wake up in the mind?

So, with that gun in hand, I sat down and started looking around. All around is deep darkness. Looking at that darkness, I feel as if I will merge into that darkness. I cleared my head and stopped worrying.

Around 2:00 am, I suddenly saw two eyes shining in the darkness and staring at me. For a while, I didn't know what to do. I saw those burning eyes coming toward me. This was the first time I was afraid of those burning eyes. When you suddenly see two such burning eyes in the dark of night, it is natural that you are afraid. 

Who can those two eyes be? Are these two eyes of an animal, or is it a ghost? Suddenly, at this time, I started hearing the baby crying. Here my belief became stronger that it was a ghost. So, the first time I came to the forest, I fell under the grip of ghosts. Without realizing it, I fired my gun at those two eyes. 

As soon as I fired the gun, I saw the eyes disappear into the darkness, and the baby's cries stopped. 

Devin and Uncle Steven's sleep is broken by the sound of gunshots. Devin quickly asked me, “What happened? Why did you shoot the gun?” 

I said in my trembling voice, “Devin, I have seen a ghost. There are ghosts in this forest. Two burning eyes flashed suddenly in the darkness of the night. I fired the gun, understanding nothing. As the gun was fired, I saw where the two eyes disappeared into the darkness.” 

“The ghost is in this forest again? Wait, let me check, where is the ghost you see?” Devin went out of the cave with his torchlight and gun in hand. There, he tried to look around better by torchlight.

A few minutes later, he came back and said, “where is the ghost? I looked everywhere but saw nothing. Haha, I think you are terrified and because of this, you hallucinate about the ghost.”

After hearing Devin's words, I suddenly don't know what to say. Did I really hallucinate about ghosts because I am scared? But I can still remember that I clearly hear footsteps when those eyes come closer to me. Furthermore, about the baby's cry,

As I was thinking about those children crying, suddenly I heard the baby crying again. I quickly looked over and said, “Devin, can you hear this baby crying? At that time, I also heard the sound of this baby crying. Surely, there are no ghosts in this forest. Why would you hear a baby crying so late at night?” 

I don't understand why, but Devin and Uncle Steven started laughing when they heard me say this. I was a bit angry at this. Furthermore, I'm scared and they're laughing. I asked him, “Here I am scared and you two are laughing.” 

After hearing this, Devin stopped laughing and said, "Hey Jack, don't be angry. Haha, actually we are laughing because of the sound of a gray catbird. They sound like a human baby's cry. Haha, well, it isn't your fault for not knowing. You can't hear such a sound in the city. So, don't worry about it.” 

Therefore, the gray catbird makes these sounds. Well, now I am embraced. I should read about this before coming to the forest. Well, Uncle Steven told us to rest, he will now guard the place. Therefore, Devin and I lay down. 

_____________

Next day, 14th September, Tuesday,

I woke up early in the morning but got startled by the scene. Today it was raining. We won't be able to continue our journey if the rain doesn't stop. 

“Tech… our luck is pretty bad today. Who knows that it will rain today? We can't even walk now in this rain. Yesterday morning and night it was completely clear, but suddenly rain today was not expected.” Devin said in a frustrated tone.

Sometime later, when the rain still did not stop, Devin suddenly got up from the ground and started walking toward his bag. I saw he had brought a raincoat from his bag and wore it. Well, what can I say? He is well-prepared for everything. But it was just me, and I think uncle Steven also didn't bring any raincoats. 

Devin walked toward the entrance and said, “.....

To be continued……………… 

0