Chapter 39: The call
314 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
A huge thank you to everyone, I really appreciate the support and comments! 

If you enjoy the story so far, don’t forget to leave a rating or review as those are always appreciated. 

I might tone down on the uploading schedule for the coming days since I’m currently traveling with the family. 

Walking through the streets of Holden, Lucien's mind was full of various thoughts. He barely registered where his feet were taking him. He wasn't a big fan of walking or running in the mornings, but he had to do something to clear his mind. 

Few people walked the streets this early in the morning, only the occasional car passing by. Lucien began to subconsciously hum a happy tune. The floating mana danced about around him in a captivating display of soft lights. 

Lucien continued until he reached a corner coffee shop. He stopped before it and hesitated for a couple of seconds before he ultimately made his way inside to have some breakfast. 

Outside of the coffee shop, Moon was sitting on top of a bench across the street. She licked her paws and kept her gaze on Lucien.   

*****

Back at the bookstore, the bishop monster teleported abruptly outside of the door. It turns out ned its head around as if it could see before it turned to face the door. 

A couple of passersby passed by the monster but did not seem to notice his presence at all. Once the street cleared out, the door to the Bookstore silently opened. 

A wide smile extended across the bishop monster's face as he made his way inside. The door closed behind him. Unnatural darkness swirled within the bookstore making it impossible to make out the shapes of anything. 

As soon as the monster took a step forward, a pale figure flashed by aiming for its neck. The bishop took a step back and lowered its head using its horns to block the sneak attack. 

The sound of metal meeting metal resounded throughout the bookstore as both the fairy and the monster took a step back. 

"Why did you come here, Vex?" The fairy asked in a frosty tone. Sharp white claws extended from its hands as it faced the monster. 

"So it is you. Is that the way to greet an old friend, Tamellalt?" 

Tamellalt raised her claws and replied;

"I'll only ask you once, why did you come?" 

"To see the Lord, of course!" Vex opened his hands, his mouth curved upwards into a wide smile as his terrifying aura surged. 

"The Lord's aura is all over the place, I can see you trying to manipulate it against me, but it seems like you are forgetting something." Vex's smile dropped as his figure blurred, he made his move aiming for Tamellalt's head with his horns. 

The fairy used her claws to block the strike, but the momentum of the attack sent her back a few steps. 

"I was born from Tallest! The Lord fed me with his aura!" Vex spoke in a loud fanatical tone. 

"He is the only one that can suppress me with his aura alone!" 

A sigh escaped from Tamellalt's lips as she shook her head. 

"You were ordered to stay away, yet here you are. You disobeyed a direct order, and for that, I'll have your head." 

"Hmph, you're free to try!" 

The duo turned into a blur, both using their bodies to attack each other, almost as if they were in some sort of agreement. Their clash resounded throughout the darkness, but it was not enough to dispel it.  

The shockwaves from their battle were nothing but tiny ripples in the endless darkness. 

The fight raged on as drops of blood fell to the ground, dyeing it red. Both figures stepped back and faced each other. The fairy's butler suit was ruined by a long nasty gash to her side. 

The monster bishop was no better. It held the side of its face with one hand in an attempt to stop the bleeding. 

"You know that we can't kill each other, Tamellalt. What's the point?" 

"Leave, Vex. If you still value your pitiful life, then you'd best leave. The Lord won't be as merciful." 

Vex's aura surged in reply before he spoke: 

"Dying by the Lord's hands would be an honor!" 

Clicking her tongue, Tamellalt mumbled in annoyance: 

"Crazy bastard." 

*****

After he finished his breakfast, Lucien decided to make his way to the park. The weather was not as bad as it was yesterday, but it was still cloudy. 

He pulled his jacket closer to his neck and continued with his stroll when suddenly, a faraway voice called out to him.  

"Lord of Tallest, Lord of Tafat—" 

The voice died out as soon as it began. Lucien paused abruptly and turned around in shock, only to find no one. He was alone on the street. 

"What?" He muttered with a frown. Scratching his head Lucien scanned the mana particles for any sign of disturbance but found none. 

The voice that called out to him was gone as well as if it was cut by something or someone. 

"What the hell was that?" Lucien mumbled again, his frown deepened. 

'Am I going crazy?' 

Lucien hesitantly resumed his walk with his eyes constantly scanning his surroundings. A part of him treated the voice as some sort of hallucination, he had a lot on his mind after all. 

Another part, however, knew what he heard. It sounded like someone trying to reach out to him, specifically. Lucien didn't know how he knew that. His eyes continued to dart about as he turned his direction to the bookstore.  

"Lord of Tallest—" 

The voice called out again, this time it was cut off as soon as it began. It was enough, however, to confirm Lucien's suspicions. Someone was calling out to him! 

His heart hammered against his chest as he continued to glance behind him. He quickly picked up his pace, and soon enough was running through the streets. 

'What the hell is going on?' 

"Lord of Tallest, Lord of Tafat, Lord of the Ancients—" 

The chant continued before it was cut again. Lucien, however, did not stop, he was sprinting through the streets. 

"Lord of Tallest, Lord of Tafat, Lord of the Ancients" The call continued to echo in his mind, this time sounding as if multiple people were speaking at the same time. It hammered on Lucien's mind making him stop and clench his head in pain.

His knees buckled as he fell to the ground with a thud. 

'Stop it, please!' 

"Lord of Tallest, Lord of Tafat, Lord of the Ancients—" 

'Stop...' 

"I said shut up, damn it!" He roared out causing the voices to disappear. A few passersby glanced at Lucien with a weird look on their faces and avoided him. 

With his hands still clutching his head in pain, Lucien struggled to continue to the bookstore. 

15