Chapter 2: Idle chatter
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

January 20th 2060

I have just arrived inside the facility alongside my colleagues.  When I heard that we would be transferred to a secret facility, I thought of dark, dilapidated hallways of gray, with empty rooms that looked as if they were deserted: But what greeted my eyes were cleanly white hallways with doors evenly spaced from each other. clean restrooms and bathing areas, lounges for staff to relax in, a large cafeteria that served wide varieties of food, and private quarters for employees stationed here.  This place reminds me of the secret government facilities in the movies I used to watch, maybe I'll find some aliens walking around if I stay long enough.

I do appreciate this grand welcome, but this level of investment they have into this research is more unsettling than anything else.  Why are they so interested in this field, and where did they get the money to build this thing, inside a mountain no less?  I was suspicious of them before, but now they've really got me thinking.

Should I tell my colleagues about this?  This is something They need to know after all, but then what's the use?   They'll just continue on as usual, helping our sponsors and developing the ETS for whatever reason there is.  I'll just follow along now for now and see where this leads me. 

January 30th, 2060

After the initial panic from the testing of the Agony ETA,  most of my fellow colleagues went back to normal, doing their jobs as usual.  When I finished my work for the day, I headed out to get water from the cooler in the hallway.  I walked to the nearest watercooler I knew of and stumbled upon a group chatting away with each other.  They mostly had small talk about their hobbies, their families, and whatever.  I didn't pay attention to this, as it really didn't interest me in the slightest bit.

As I was about to walk to the cooler, They shifted into a topic that caught my attention.  The group of people spoke of hearing voices, whispers that they couldn't make out, coming from places that they couldn't find or see.  One said they experienced this exact thing in the bathing rooms.  While he took a shower, his face was to the wall and couldn't see behind him, and just then, he heard a small voice from his back, calling to him.  When he did look behind himself, there wasn't anyone behind him nor in the entire room.

Another said this happened to herself while she was inside a meeting room editing the report for the recent experiment.  As she was about to finish writing the last few pages of her work, she heard a voice coming from the opposite side of the door.  She thought it was just someone passing by, so she ignored it, but the sound didn't stop and it seemed to be getting louder every second.  So she stood up and opened the door, yet no one was there.

the third echoed what the two said.  After finishing his report for the day, he went to his private quarters, turned off his lights, and snuggled into his bed.  As he was trying to sleep, he heard a whisper coming from inside the room.  He couldn't see what was making the sound because he turned off his lights.  He was scared of the noise, but he managed to muster up his courage to turn the light on, and when he did, there was no one in  the room besides himself.

Their conversation interested me so much that I wanted to ask them questions about it, but as i was about to question them, they left the water cooler and walked off to somewhere else.  It was a little disappointing for my curiosity, but there was nothing I could do about it.  I decided that I should rest for tomorrow, then I started to walk back to my room.  But as I was walking, I heard voices coming from the water cooler again.  I thought that the chatting group returned, and I hurried to ask them questions.  When I got to the water cooler, There was no one around but me.

I quickly got a cup of water, drank it, and ran to my room.  As I lay in bed writing this, I hope to get it out of my mind.

0