Spring
424 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Alarm. Set Timer is up… ]

[Main Core Initiating System Checks… ]

[All systems Checked… ]

[Power Levels has reached Full Capacity… Low Power Mode Disabled… ]

[All Parameters returning to Normal Configuration… ]

With a start, her sensors slowly came to life as her Digimind starts to process the fresh information that it was receiving after its long slumber. After a while, her sensors slowly become clearer and what she first heard was the melodious sound of chirping birds. Next was the ray of light leaking through the back of her eyelid and the smell of musty old clothes.

Slowly taking in this information, she remained in her position enjoying the soft cushion provided by the bundle of clothes before finally opening her right eye.

What she was greeted with was the dark and messy interior of a closet. Her eye that has adjusted to the dark space briefly glanced at the messy interior before looking out the gap. Again, her eye adjusted to the brightness after a second and saw the fresh green leaves lightly swaying in the breeze. The few remaining morning dews glistening under the sun.

She stared at it, enamored by its natural beauty but shook herself out of it and pushed open the closet doors. The door clattered against the tiled floor and quickly settled.

She languidly sat herself up, unfurling herself from her curled up fetus position. The moment she moved, intense pain from her left leg shot up. While grunting from the pain, she remembered the matter about her amputated left leg. She hurriedly turned off her Pain Receptors for that leg and took in several deep breaths through her gritted teeth, head head resting back on the pile clothes. After calming down, she sat up and looked around the room.

The room looked like it used to be a bedroom first before it was turned into a storage space for other miscellaneous stuff as cardboard boxes and other random things are either neatly organized or scattered across the tiled flooring. And now, added to that mess was the piles of wooden planks and clothes from the turnover closet.

Besides the season changing to spring, the room looked exactly the same as last time. She then turns to the window, looking outside and stared at the trees. Seeing that some of the leaves are still bright green indicates that it was either early February or late January. The Doll hums in satisfaction that her little bet of setting a 3 month timer was correct.

The Doll slowly crawled out of the closet, tossing any clothes that got caught up on her back in. Next, she grabbed the remains of what seems to be the back rest of a small folding chair made out stainless steel and got closer to the wall. Then, while using the wall for support, she got back up on her feet and used the back rest as a make shift walking cane.

But before she could do that, she first has to remove something connected to her back, a hazard that could potentially snag on something and make her fall. Leaning back on the wall and unplugged the power cable off her back, letting it freely fall to the floor. After making sure that there isn't anything else connected to her, she then tried walking around the room with it and quickly found that it functions as a cane just fine. While it was certainly awkward walking around with it, it does help in providing her a stable way of walking as it has two points of contact with the ground instead of a single one like a cane or crutch would.

Satisfied with her makeshift cane, she finally turns to leave the room to investigate the entirety of the house. She swung the door open only to be greeted by a creature that would make any person tremble both in fear and disgust at just the mere sight of it. The creature has 6 legs, 2 long antennas, and covered in a dark reddish brown chitin. The creature that latched itself on the wall was a large cockroach that was about a foot long.

Upon seeing the God forsaken creature that still persists to this day, she screamed like any normal girl would. And as if it could hear the fear laden scream of the Doll, it turned around and started crawling around the wall. And it was absolutely heading in her direction.

At times of great danger, there are usually two kinds of people. The first kind would turn the other way around and run away from the source of danger. The second kind is the type that would fight against it, and she is the second type. So the instant it started crawling towards her, she threw the only thing she had at hand, her makeshift cane made of stainless steel.

The backrest flew like a bolt fired from a crossbow as it easily pierced the chitin armor, producing a sickening crunch that echoed throughout the hallway. After piercing it, her makeshift cane ricochets off the wall and bounced away into another room. After looking at the splattered remains on the wall and the roach whose head had been completely obliterated, she immediately calms down at the sight of it.

After confirming that the psychological threat has been eradicated she then turns to the room where her makeshift cane bounced off to. She sighs and turns around to grab one of the wooden post resting against the wall, as it was the closest to her. While it was thick and somewhat bulky, this could both serve as her temporary cane and as a blunt instrument.

With her newfound weapon/cane at hand, she warily hobbled out the room and into the hallway. The hallway, unlike the room she woke up in, was painted with a dark navy blue with a vivid red trim that provides a nice contrast. For the flooring, the tiles are long and thin with wooden print, completely imitating long planks of wood. With those two combined, they make the home have a rather regal but modest feel to it.

After walking around the corpse of the god forsaken monstrosity of an insect. She slowly peeked into the room where her cane went to, wary for any creatures that would pounce on her. When she saw that the room was clear, she quickly hobbled over to her makeshift cane. She inspected her makeshift cane to check for any damages and she hummed in good mood when she found nothing of the sort.

Leaning against the wall for support, she switched from the wooden post to her cane. Now that she has more stability in walking, she was about to toss the wooden post aside when she was reminded of what just happened earlier. After thinking about it for a few more seconds, she kept the wooden post with her in case she has something to smack it with.

Continuing her exploration, she went to the next room that is just a few meters away. Opening the door slightly, she peeks through the small gap and scanned the room lightly. Seeing that the coast is clear she lightly pushes on the door, swinging it wide open. She does a quick look around and judged that it was another guest room.

Heading further down the halls, she soon arrives to what she thinks is a living room. While it was dark due to the lack of natural lighting, the Doll who can see in the dark saw the sniper rifle laying on the coffee table. She unconsciously gulped at the sight and nervously looked around the room. While she doesn't think anyone is here since she made a loud noise earlier, she isn't entirely sure if the house is completely devoid of its occupants either.

"привет? есть кто-нибудь? (Hello? Is anyone there?)"

While slowly hobbling towards the rifle, she yelled out to any potential owner of the sniper rifle. While waiting for a reply, she glances around room and saw a bunch switches in the wall. Assuming that it was for the lights, she flipped up the first one with her right hand still holding the wooden post and the small lamps on the walls lit up. After switching the first one off, she then flips the second one. This one turns on the light on the ceiling, which she leaves on for the time being.

Looking around the now lit up room, she found that everything was covered in a thick layer of dust, including the gun. Upon seeing the dust covering the sniper rifle, she relaxes her guard. With that as an indication that there is no one else in this house besides her, she walks towards the gun in a relaxed manner. When she arrived behind one of the sofas, she notices that there's several bullets scattered across the floor around the coffee table.

Carefully maneuvering her way around in order to not to step on any of the bullets, she made her around the sofa. And once in front, she then dropped her club on one of the other sofas and in exchange took the pillow from the sofa she was planning to sit on.

But after lifting the pillow she immediately noticed that there's a white box similar in color to the pillow. She dropped the pillow and picked up the white box to read the print.

"Caliber .300 WinMag…"

She muttered under her breath before shaking it a bit. The contents rattled. Based on the weight of the box and the feel of how it rattled, it must be full. She hums in thought at how many rounds that are just laying about for what she thinks is for the sniper rifle. Setting it aside for now, she picks up the pillow again to dust the sofa with it.

After proceeding to smack the pillow against the sofa for a while and judging that it looks clean enough, she finally sat on it. Leaning back, she sunk herself into the soft cushion, her body still somewhat stiff from the effects of hibernating for a long time and the unexpected stress right after waking up.

She sighs as she blankly stares at the wooden ceiling. While she just wants to just stay here and relax, she still has several problems that she needs to be addressed. And most of all…

"I have to find her."

She silently muttered to herself as she remembered her promise with that person, determination filling her eyes as her memories with that person played inside her digimind.

After a while, the Doll sat herself upright and picks up the gun to inspect it. The Rifle was an old bolt action rifle with a polymer stock that houses the mechanism. She pulled the bolt back halfway through and checked the chamber. Seeing that there was no brass in the chamber, she pulled it all the way back and looked into the action next to see its condition.

The Doll continued to fiddle with the rifle, checking its condition with familiar hands. Even if she wasn't familiar with the model, it was still a bolt action rifle just like any other.

Finished with her inspection, she puts the sniper rifle back down the coffee table and while still carefully leaning forward, she begins to pick up the bullets scattered around her feet.

She gathered the rounds and puts them on her thighs. Upon feeling the cold brass on her skin reminds her that she needs to find a new set of clothes. While her sleepwear isn't weird in any way, her cotton short shorts and silken shirt just has a high degree of exposure that is simply inappropriate to walk around in public with. And she also has no intention whatsoever of exposing her skin to anyone in the first place.

But, she may make an exception for a certain someone. And solely for that person alone.

While feeling her cheeks getting warmer as embarrassment and shame surged forth inside her, she shook her head clear of those thoughts and moved her hands that went idle to pick up the last few remaining rounds.

Then she picked up the rifle and took the magazine out. After leaning the rifle against the back rest of her seat, she then proceeds to load the box magazine full before also hand loading one into the chamber of the gun.

Now that she has a real weapon in her arsenal, she feels a lot more confident now. But just because she acquired a gun doesn't mean she would be using it to clear the entire house.

After simply dumping the bullets on her lap to the sofa she is sitting on, she slings the gun to her back before standing up and grabbed her bludgeoning tool. The Doll then continued exploring the house, checking every room and opening every door or closet she could find. By the time she was finished, the sun was already at its peak and her stomach was complaining at the complete lack of food. Looking out the window, she stares at the peaceful forest just a hundred meters away from the house before her stomach let out a cute whine to remind her of her hunger.

While the power cable did keep her alive and remain in operational conditions, it did not however fill one's stomach. And food is something she is in dire need right now.

The Doll turns to the kitchen table and sigh in disappointment. Scattered across the table are opened canned goods that has expired and is already in the process of decay, with some having fully turned into a rotting unrecognizable black mass.

She is thankful for the Gas Mask she found at the workshop or she might be suffocating from the stench emanating from all the expired food right now. Grabbing two trash bags from one of the cabinet and put one inside the other so that in case the first one had a hole poked through it it wouldn't make a mess.

After cleaning up her mess and tossing the trash into a trash can outside, she goes back to the kitchen table and sat on one of the chairs and listlessly stared into empty air as she thinks of what to do with her food situation.

Originally. She planned on securing food by looting the place as the house was rather untouched by any looters and has avoided getting damaged by the fighting. It's location being at the edge of town contributed to its survival. But with all the preserved canned goods expired, her hopes of scavenging for any food in the town has been dashed as well. While there are spices and other alcoholic beverages that are still good for consumption, it's useless if there's nothing to use it on.

But after unexpectedly securing herself a rifle, the option of hunting for some game is now possible for her. While having only one functioning leg will hamper her ability to traverse through the forest, her aim with the rifle is different matter. At the very least, she is confident in hitting a target at 500 meters.

With her next course of action set, she stood up and headed for the master bedroom upstairs to find a new set of clothes. While it was unhygienic to wear fresh clothes while dirty. She is going to get dirty once she is inside the forest anyway.

After picking for some time. She settled for a white long sleeved turtle neck sweatshirt, a pair of black short shorts combined with a black pantyhose underneath, and finally some sturdy pair of combat boots with a rather stylish design. After finishing her look with a dark green trench coat with a furred collar, she looks at herself in the mirror. Her left eye and leg covered in bandages might be a pitiful sight, she can't do anything about that unless she manages to find someone to do some repairs on her in this desolate town.

Putting aside her damages. She hums in approval at her new outfit as it hides a lot of her skin while also looking good. She thinks back at the words of her partner: "If your going to do something out there, at least look good while doing it."

After having one last look on the mirror, she finally left the house with only her cane, her rifle, and a pocket full of bullets, and heads out for the Forest. Completely unaware of the sleeping dangers within.

18