Chapter 06: Dire wolves
1.1k 2 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Many times extreme self-confidence, whether for one's abilities, strengths, or other reasons, can lead one to be blinded by arrogance.

With arrogance comes no good results; it can even lead to one's demise, thus digging one's grave where one will lie to rot.

*Roar!

One moment of arrogance, and no matter how hard one has worked to build something, it will all come crashing down...

*Roar! *Roar!

'Damn it!'

Because my powers advanced by a large margin, marking the improvement I got from day one to after a week of coming into this world. Naturally, my confidence in myself had broken the thermometer, and I fell into momentary arrogance.

Who wouldn't have confidence in themselves when they can beat an enemy who is above their level?

*Roar!

Because of that arrogance, I had riddled with myself and thought myself stronger than the monsters in this forest. Because of that, I filled myself with courage and decided to take on many large-sized wolves.

Although I could defeat many of them, the wolves, unlike the lone wolves, roamed in packs, making it a little difficult for me to face them, however, that wasn't the main problem...

*Roar!

So it turned out in my current situation, being chewed by a considerable wolf... Although those vast, sharp teeth were chewing my body, I felt no pain due to an ability called "Pain Denial," and although my body was being torn apart with each chew, with each passing second, I regenerated again.

But still, it was uncomfortable to be chewed.

Damn wolves!

The wolves in this forest were quite ferocious, alluding to their "D-Rank - Low." They possessed terrifying reflexes and explosive agilities that could close the gap with extreme ease. Unlike me, who was currently at "Rank F - High" after two weeks of hard work, naturally, I couldn't face monsters that were more than one rank above me, and more so, considering that I was facing many of them.

Because I had been fighting the ferocious wolf packs, the other wolf packs that were drawn into our fight and immersed in the battle, I hadn't noticed them until it was too late.

*Biri-Biri* *Booom!

My body glowed, and golden electric currents surrounded me as they whipped around, producing crackling sounds. My power exploded inside the wolf's mouth; however, it was too late, even if I dislocated its jaws.

*Gulp!

The loud gulping sound from the wolf's throat undid me, and darkness covered my vision. I could feel with extreme clarity that my body was slipping into a slimy and highly uncomfortable place.

'Damn it. I've been swallowed alive...'.

As I cursed, I circulated my energy inside my now regenerated body. At the same time, as the golden rays began to flicker and illuminate the dark space that was possibly the wolf's stomach, I activated the ability.

*Boom!

A strange noise rumbled inside the wolf I was in, shaking my surroundings. However, that power was insufficient to break through the monster's stomach and free me.

*Boom!

Continuously, for a few minutes, I activated my ability to create a way out, and apparently, it worked, although not in the way I thought it would.

Gradually, the squalid space began to creak, and with my body, I could feel the surface I was standing on beginning to crumble.

*Puff!

With a noise like the choking explosion of an overloaded balloon, the body of the monster that held me prisoner burst into specks of dust blown away by the wind.

'Phew, I somehow made the monster's magic core crack.' Letting out a sigh of relief, I fell and rolled on the ground as I lost my last foothold.

I looked to the left, and my gaze met that of one of the wolves chasing me.

'...'

"..."

I looked to the right, and again, my gaze was blocked by the other wolf staring at me.

'...'

"..."

'Fuck! It's not time to think; it's time to run!'

*Strike!

At the same time, as the ten-plus wolves roared in my direction to start chasing me, the ground beneath me exploded, revealing a crater, and my round body shot out like a bullet forward.

I fell and rolled across the ground ferociously, bouncing endlessly. My pitiful figure took advantage of the remaining momentum, and I hurried to coordinate my movement as quickly as possible, not to let these old dogs touch my ass. Fucking perverts!

*Roar!

The monster's roar sounded behind me. The air seemed to tremble for a few seconds as if its simple roar had an imbued power behind it.

Suddenly, my surroundings darkened like a shadow was closing in on me. I looked up and saw the dark toothy mouth of the wolf about to bite me.

'Shit! To the left.'

Rolling on the ground, I changed direction, causing the monster's bite to land where I was before.

*Grah*

With a furious roar, the wolves tried to stop themselves by collapsing the ground beneath their feet and crashing into trees and their companions.

Not to let a golden opportunity slip away, I concentrated on using my body and gliding across the grass as I checked the floating map in front of me, showing me the entirety of a continent, me as the center. They were rigorously detailed in miniature form, from the trees to the mountains.

Fifty meters ahead, I was shown a miniature crater-shaped indentation surrounded in the middle by miniature trees.

I also noticed that the red dots, which naturally belonged to my enemies, i.e., the wolves, were again chasing me with their furious roars and loud footsteps.

I hurried forward with all my might. With every passing minute, lightning covered my body to accelerate my speed of movement, my core energy was depleting like there was no tomorrow. I was on the verge of exhaustion, though it wasn't that surprising, considering I had fought for three straight hours today without a break.

"Left, right, up."

I dodged the toothy mouths of the monsters that dared to want to swallow me in a vowel—their jaws and breaths, along with the whistling wind, buzzed around me as I moved endlessly.

I made my way through the grasses and trees before emerging onto a grassy area. Thus, in barely two seconds, I reached where there should have been a crater.

My tiny body managed to skim the ground and stop right at the edge of the aperture, which, from my point of view, looked like the mouth of the abyss. I only managed to see up to about twenty meters deep due to the darkness present.

Anyone who fell in there, no matter how lucky they were, would not be able to get out with their lives intact, and that also applied to the wolves who, considering their sizes and the weight they possessed, would turn into a paste of meat upon impact with the bottom.

Decidedly, I made a rather bold move.

Using all the remaining energy stored in my core and answering my call, the golden rays around me shook, and with a small explosion that left a small crater below me, I shot off into the sky.

'Wahaha, I'm a flying slime!'

Even in the face of this desperate situation, I couldn't help but feel excited because I had jumped about seven meters high, high enough for the two-meter-tall wolves to pass underneath me.

*Grah!

The eyes of the first wolf to emerge from behind the bushes grew comically large as he did his best to slow down with his big paws scraping the ground; pitifully for him, his companions behind crashed into his back, throwing him straight into the jaws of death.

'Hehe, goodbye, my good canine friend. I pray for their dying souls to reach eternal rest.' I grinned from ear to ear as I watched from the sky as the wolves fell to the bottom of the abyss one after another.

'Huh? It looks like someone has emerged victorious by dodging this tragic fate'.

Slightly surprised in my heart, I watched the last wolf that managed to stabilize right where the ground ended. The wolf's face looked cheerful, and perhaps if it had a more extended arm, the wolf would wipe the beads of sweat that fell from its face as it sighed in relief.

'Tsk, tsk, it's a pity you ran into me, doggy.'

The golden rays that surrounded me earlier faded until there was nothing left, as my energy was depleted entirely. Naturally, I lost momentum in the sky and fell downwards due to the world's gravity.

With a wicked grin, I looked down at the wolf's backside, which dared not move from its spot apparently for fear that with the slightest movement, an accident would occur, and would fall to its death.

The giant wolf turned its long neck towards me, and its already large eyes almost popped out of their sockets as it shook its head, which surprised me a little.

However, I didn't care about his state of begging for mercy and fell straight onto his back. Without thinking of falling with him, I propelled myself backward with all my might.

Although my thrust lacked strength since I no longer had any energy to the point where it seemed that I would shortly lose consciousness, it was strong enough for the giant dog to lose his balance and a part of the ground beneath his feet crumbled.

*Roar!

With a reluctant roar, the last wolf joined its companions at the bottom of the colossal crevice.

Although I wanted to go after them to save their corpses in my inventory for when I could use my "Devour" skill on their massive bodies, when I thought better of it, I dismissed the idea because I didn't know the dangers of that place as there were red dots reflected on my map.

Sighing and staggering, I turned around and started sliding on the ground towards my house.

'This day has been quite exhausting compared to the previous ones.'

38