Chapter 4: monster mashup
76 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Guiding the golem turned out to be fairly easy, if a bit tedious. It just repeatedly charges at me, and I easy sidestep it. Occasionally it decides that throwing something is a good idea, though it’s not any harder to dodge that. I just zap it to get it charging again.

It takes a while to get the golem to the abomination, and when I arrive I have to dodge both until they engage each other.

Turns out that abominations just attack anything in their vicinity, and the golem just attacks whatever attacks it. It attacked me because one of my nice sparks touched it, so when the abomination smashes a large tentacle into the golem, it got a new target.

If my estimation of the size of the stairway town into the workshop is correct, then the golem should be around two and a half meters tall. The small-ish abomination is nearly twice as tall, and at least as wide.

The golem remains undeterred though and charges eagerly into the side of the abomination, repeatedly hitting and tearing out pieces of flesh and random smaller bodyparts.

The abomination for its part, repeatedly hits the golem with the nearby tentacles and flings a variety of spells at it from other bodyparts. Mostly frost spells, though the occasional rock is flinged as well. Of course the golem gets dented by the attacks.

The abomination doesn’t seem entirely engaged in the battle, as it only attack with the nearest bodyparts and continues to walk towards its unstated goal. The really big arm on the top, doesn’t attack at all.

I just stand off to the side, watching the spectacle. Pieces of flesh and copper occasionally flying my way. Kinda enjoyable to watch as the golem almost buries itself into the abomination.

A few minutes later, it seems that the abomination has had enough and finally attacks with its big arm.

It swings down and grabs the golem by a leg and lifts it up in the air, before swinging it fast. The swing is fast enough that the leg separates from the body, and the golem is flung a bit away.

I guess that means the abomination wins the fight.

To my surprise, the abomination charges at the now slightly broken golem. I guess that means it lost about half its health, since that usually is the trigger for them to care.

Once it reaches the golem, it uses its two largest front feet, one hooved, the other not, to repeatedly stomp on the downed golem.

Pretty soon it is just scrap copper laying in a pit in the ground.

Serves you right for punching me!

Now, what to do with the abomination? Should I get it to fight another abomination, or should I finish it off to get the crystal?

Looking around I see no other abominations nearby, and before I get to make up my mind, the abomination charges at me! The audacity! It’s only marginally faster than the golem, but it has ranged magic, so I have to dodge those attacks as well. At least it isn’t resistant to lightning like the golem.

I speed up a bit extra and reach a nearby hill. The extra speed gave me a bit of time to charge a proper attack.

Holding my staff in my right hand, and grabbing the biggest gem on my necklace with my left to maximize the buffs, I start to channel most of my mana as lightning into my staff. Both the staff and the necklace multiply the power of lightning based attacks, and combined they multiply my attack power by a little over five times. A bit overpowered by the games standard, but I’m not a dev and can do whatever! 

As I channel most of my mana, I can FEEL the charge build up around me, causing my fur to stand on the end. A bit of the dust on the ground starts to circle around me as the charge builds to unreasonable levels. THIS FEELS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!

Whilst I’m still charging, one of the ice spells flies towards me, but is disrupted by the raw energies around me and sort of fizzles out before it reaches me.

I just can’t help it and scream “UNLIMITED POWER!!!!” as I release the single lightning strike I have been charging.

The world goes white for a moment, before the loudest noise I have ever heard resounds around me. Oddly enough, neither the bright light, nor the loud sound bothers me.

Once the light dies down, I can see that the part of the abomination the lightning hit, has exploded. Still the majority still remain, though it has stopped its charge and crashes into the ground. 

THAT felt awesome, though I’m feeling a bit of lethargy from that attack. Luckily I didn’t use all my mana, just most of it, so walking back to the workshop should be relatively easy.

Why the workshop? Because it has a roof, is out of sight from the meandering abominations, and I would like to sleep. Hopefully there is even a bed in there.

First I’ll collect the crystal and the remains of the golem. 

As I walk near the abomination, I can see that some of the limbs still twitch. The magenta crystal is on the far side of the lightning string, and probably weighs a ton.

Wonder how I’m going to get it away from the rest of it?

Touching it gives me a slightly exciting feeling, and I can feel more mana flowing into me. Trying to put just the crystal into my inventory yields no result.

I have no knife or sword, so how should I go about it? I have claws, maybe those will work? Actually, maybe a part of the golem has a sharp edge.

A quick jog over to the remains of the golem, reveals that it’s a mess of broken parts and a shattered crystal core. I put all the pieces into my inventory as I find them. 

Luckily one of the flattened pieces has a sharp edge, so it’ll do as an impromptu dissection tool.

Returning to the crystal, I start the laborious process of extracting the crystal. I was a bit worried about getting the black goop stuck in my fur, but turns out that my fur is dirt repellant.

That’s good. I know the game put a dirt texture on top of your character in dirty environments, but Anana got ugly fast when that happened, so I removed it from the game. I guess that got interpreted as my fur being dirt repellant.

Turns out that a bit less than half the crystal stuck out of the surface, and it takes a fair bit of mana to put it into my inventory.

I guess I can go to sleep now, since I don’t need to worry about something taking my stuff.

It takes a fair bit of time to return to the workshop, partly because it’s underground and hard to spot.

The stairway is partially smashed from the golem’s hasty exit, but still easily traversable. 

It’s still dark inside it, but I simply channel some lightning into my staff to light the room. Turns out there are doorways to other rooms. The main room has a few tools and a bit of various materials scattered about on the various work surfaces.

The first room I check appears to be a kitchen of sorts. There are glass jars of various pickled stuff on the high shelves, and a wood burning stove. A few knives lay scattered about.

The second room turns out to be a living or dining room of sorts, with a single couch and a couple chairs surrounding a low wooden table. Like the other rooms, everything is dusty and dilapidated.

The last room appears to be a bedroom, but it’s not really usable. The bed is just an empty frame and the nightstand is missing a leg. The closet is empty, and the doors have fallen of the hinges.

Fine, I guess sleeping on the couch it is.

It’s kinda odd, but I haven’t felt hungry yet, though I still decide to take out some of the water Danievil gave me. The bottle has to be the most overly designed and demonic waterbottle I have ever seen. The water is both cool and clean, so I’ll forgive the slightly impractical design.

With how tired I am, it doesn’t really take long to fall asleep, even if the couch is not the most comfortable one.

4