Chapter 19
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I sat down on my wooden creaky uncomfortable bed I withdrew a heavy set of books from my bag and started to leaf through them.

It was an odd feeling, being in this new place where I had been cast away from my old life.

I still couldn't bring myself to believe that it was actually happening, and all I wanted right then was to curl up somewhere safe and forget this whole situation.

My parents were gone, and so was everyone else in my life.

Even my wife, who had always been there for me, had been taken off somewhere, leaving me alone with no one to care for except for the few other people living in the area.

I just wanted everything to be okay again.

I took out another much smaller notebook from under my bed and began to scribble down some things before looking at the list once more.

the first time I had found out about magic I was super excited but the more found out about it the less I liked it.

The more research I did into the subject the more I hated how real life turned out and how scary everything seemed.

This would be my new home, and hopefully, the rest of this strange world would be a bit less stressful. Every single person in this world had been born with the ability to use magic.

Some people had even said that it was something that they could do without thinking about it and others claimed that they could do it without ever using their ability, but the more I find out about this world the more questions I find myself asking,

At first I had jumped to the conclusion with what little information I had that everyone here was some sort powered magical being and had to learn to control their power by reading or studying,
but that wasn't true, not even close to the truth.

There were plenty of people like me, but no one who had a chance of becoming magical powers themselves. Everyone here was just normal mortals.

I'm guessing that if someone really tried hard enough they could turn themselves into a mystical powerhouse, although that would take years of practice and most people don't bother because there isn't time to learn when you are just trying to survive.

I had thought it was the norm here that everyone had access to magic so that meant this world was at least semi-modern with the magical equivalent of a washing machine, oven................

However, I quickly learned otherwise since the moment I had arrived at this new world.

This new world was much too similar to the middle ages of Europe, with the exception of having magic craft instead of technology.

While there were many similarities, there were also major differences to my old world, the major difference was of course magic and the booming populace of magical beings.

Most people didn't have much in the way of a physical weapon, but they did have magic tools like wands, charms, and amulets.

They used magic to help heal, protect, or create.

Their everyday lives often revolved around magic and yet not everyone had the proper training, which leads to the current situation.

I sighed loudly as I looked over the words I had written so far to try and make sense of it all.

I hadn't been able to figure out much yet apart from what seemed to be the basic theory of everything.

Magic is an innate part of every person who is born into this universe and that is why everyone I came across had this gift.

It was the only thing I knew for sure.

I had already spent several days in this new world learning more about my own abilities and the people who shared this world with me.

I had managed to meet many interesting people while here, including those who weren't exactly human and were just regular magical beast people.

I felt bad about making assumptions about others, especially considering my past experiences with humans.

The only problem I had was how much this world was similar to my old world, which left me with very limited data to work with and only limited time. I felt frustrated as I stared down at the brown pages of my notebook.

I was trying to work out the best way to teach myself this new world magic, the problem was finding a good way to do so.

I was a quick learner, but there was only so much I could do before my brain exploded.

I had been sitting there for almost two hours trying to come up with ideas, but none of these would work. I couldn't figure out how to explain this world magic system, so restarted this time I began with a beginning,

This world had magic or rather people of this world had the ability to control and manipulate mystical energies that existed in this world.

I called it magic well because that is what everyone called it back home in the old world but here there was no one term for it here. In fact, it seemed that mysticism the common term here was only referred to in terms of magical abilities as a whole.

No names were used for what these individuals were capable of, instead, everyone called them 'people'.

It was weird to think about it now because I had thought about all the possible possibilities that we could have had.

Most people only used mysticism or magic as an aide to do chores, like sweeping, cleaning, cooking, or gardening.

I had always known that my family was magic users due to my mother she used constantly to dry clothes, to cook, to clean, but there never seemed to be anyone around who was able to produce magical energy from nowhere or do anything beyond housework.

And from what I had seen or rather remembered seeing in the army people there did not use magic for any kind of reason unless forced to do so by circumstances.

Soldiers had weapons, shields, armor, and other paraphernalia for battle, but there was no magic involved, or at least I never noticed it, the knight who had taken me in did use magic but only in non-combatant ways such as to lighten his Armor, shield him from attacks, or throw items at enemies to distract them.

He had also used magic to keep the food going bad when he ran low on the supplies or food he had received while serving in the armies.

Other than magic, the army consisted of soldiers that were trained as warriors, soldiers that served under general officers or generals that led the armies, and soldiers that were paid by whoever had ordered their creation. There was no magic there, at least that's what I had thought.

The reason for this was that most people only had enough innate talent to control small amounts of magic and that just about allowed them to light a fire, dry some clothes, cool temperature, create water, and so on.

It wasn't the same as being able to summon flames or create wind or fly as the legends told of angels.

There were lots of other natural gifts, like telepathy, mind manipulation, or invisibility, but no ability to utilize these skills.

So it makes sense why most people couldn't do all of those things, even if they wanted to.

There are a lot of reasons why so many people have trouble accessing these abilities.

The most important reason is simply that we need to study magic to gain knowledge on how to use our gifts.

It wasn't something you can just grow into over the next century or whatever, it takes time and patience, plus the ability to read and understand magic itself. And even then, it's not easy learning how to use such complex magic.

The more we know about these talents the more likely it is that we will encounter something that is completely foreign to us and our surroundings.

For a person to be able to grow their magical ability they need three techniques energy absorption techniques, energy refinement techniques, and energy control techniques.

These are all the main components of mystic art, but these different techniques aren't the only way to learn and master these different types of sorcery.

A mystic needs to understand how to read and understand magic and then understand the specific magic that they need to perform at the same time as doing so.

The easiest way to do so is through books and teachers, but such resources were not available to the public here.

It was frustrating, I mean seriously, why couldn't they teach these things? the so-called elites of this world kept that knowledge under lock and key if you wanted to access the techniques and the books you needed to submit to these so-called elites that taught the techniques and the laws they enforced.

I angrily scratched the paper again this was too complicated to stick to the basics this world had some mystical energy that could be controlled by humans using various techniques, in order to control this energy you needed a certain amount of knowledge, experience, and guidance which was zealously guarded by a few who claimed to be nobles the betters of the world.

That explained why they didn't teach those who couldn't use them, it wasn't worth teaching the technique, they didn't want the ignorant peasant that didn't learn any of the principles to misuse it and kill them, thus causing harm to others.

It also made sense why most people here couldn't do more than light a candle with their magic alone, although that might change depending on the individual.

The less everyone knows the less they learn and the better off everyone is that seemed to be the dogma here.

This made no sense to me.

After all, how else could they expect us to use magic if we didn't know how?

Even though I didn't agree with the way things were being run here,

I still found it a little fascinating that these people had managed to hide the existence of their world and its inhabitants within their society without anyone knowing about it.

I guess it makes perfect sense that the rulers would be reluctant to reveal such secrets to their subjects, especially given the dangers they faced, in this world, humans were not alone, there were also many unknown and known creatures, and even other supernatural beings lurking about in other places hidden away.

My thoughts were brought back to reality after I realized that I wasn't writing in the correct manner, I was supposed to write this down as clearly as I possibly could.

I tried to write it again, this was supposed to be a diary slash guide slash grimoire but up till now I've been unable to get anything past page twenty and I'm starting to feel a little frustrated and annoyed at myself.

I don't really know where to begin to research my new world, so I decided to just start with the first things that crossed my mind questions that popped into my mind

"What was this energy? What was the limitation of this magic?

How does someone manage to control a mystical force of nature?

Why did this energy exist in the first place?

Why did someone give this power to this planet?"

I asked to no one in particular, as I glanced outside I saw that it was late into the evening already.

The first thing I was going to invent was a god dammed clock.

It's funny how things happen when you think about them hard enough.

It was nearly dark now, so that meant that the sun should be rising soon.

I quickly stood up and took the pen that was laying beside my notebook and started writing as fast as I possibly could.

I wanted everything to be perfect, I had spent hours creating this book, and I would not fail in my mission!

Why I was doing this?

I myself am not sure,

maybe it was something to do with wanting to find out where this world came from.

Maybe it was because I felt like it was wrong to waste a perfectly valuable gift.

Maybe it was because I had been deprived of human interaction since my arrival, and all I had ever done was sit around in my room waiting for people to call me to go with them.

I was slowly going mad in that lonely little corner of the world.

The more I sat there, and the longer I sat there thinking, the faster I wrote.

My handwriting became slanted, my strokes became wild, and my sentences became jumbled up.

All the while I continued to stare out at the ocean hoping someone might show up and bring me back home.

I missed my wife Rebecca more than words can describe.

More times than I wanted to admit, I began missing her when I knew she was far away.

But I couldn't let the sadness overtake me, because it would only slow me down, so for right now I had to focus on making this work.

I had been working so long trying to finish my project, I didn't want to let it end before I finished.

0