1.25 Enchantment of The Heart
308 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was not hard for Ji SongLi to find out the whereabouts of his sister and Bai YuLan. All he had to do was to ask some of the house servants. It seemed that the two little girls in his memory had suddenly grown up, even the servants could not hide their admiration as they told Ji SongLi of Ji LanBai and Bai YuLan's feats.

He initially wanted to wait until they returned to the estate. But as he mindlessly threw paper after paper, token after token, into the lit brazier in his room, he grew even more restless. As he crushed some of the jade insignia with his clenching grip, he could not hide the vexation surfacing in the depths of his heart.

What had happened while he was gone? Why was this girl, who was supposedly protected and should have been hidden under Ji family's shelter, suddenly coveted by so many?

Opening his palm, he let the latest victim of his ire fell into the brazier. The jade had been broken into several pieces. He blankly looked at the burning brazier, now full of charred metals, blackened pieces of jades, and burnt papers.

Ji SongLi let out a soundless sigh as he walked towards a bronze mirror on top of a table in his room. After tidying up his previously unkempt damp hair, he grabbed his sword that was hung on the wall, and walked out of his room towards the front gates. His father and both of his mothers were nowhere to be seen. He certainly did not want to know what the mighty General Ji was doing with his first wife. He had also greeted his mother before he stole those letters and emblems, thus he decided to leave.

He took a spare horse from the estate's stable, as the one he previously rode to reach Ming town was currently resting after their long journey. Then he set his course towards the outer gates of Ming town.

As he urged his steed onward, along the road, the townsfolk spared a few glances at his figure. In the eyes of the commoner, this was a refined and handsome young man who looked unfamiliar. The tall figure was wearing clean white and cream robes, his posture straight as he hold the rein. There was a sword hung on the scabbard tied to his belt, and his face was looking despondent.

A few young maidens stopped in their tracks and concealed their deepening blush behind their sleeves or handkerchiefs, giggling shyly to each other in discreet, while secretly wishing this youth would take notice at them.

Some of the more observant people would notice the Tiger wolf jade insignia hung on his waist belt, as well as the gold engraving of the beast on his sword hilt.

The Young Master of the Ji family, Ji SongLi, had returned.

*** *** ***

It was already past midday by the time Ji SongLi arrived, and he could see various carriages and horse drawn carts. All of them were parked tidily in front of Lian house' gates, each looked more intricate than the next. Clearly Lian house had some distinguished guests that day.

 

 

He had heard from his family servants that Ji LanBai, Bai YuLan, as well as He Shan and Sun Chen, had become the new idols of Ming town, almost becoming the town's trademark. Initially he thought they were exaggerating, but looking at these, he could not help to be dumbstruck.

Walking towards the front gates, he was halted by the guarding Lian house' servants, as the performance inside was not opened to people who had not reserved seats prior. Ji SongLi showed them his Tiger jade insignia as his identity. The servants' eyes widened before letting him in without further fuss. They did not even ask to remove his sword.

Lian house' current famous qin players, whose performances were endorsed and accompanied by the two Zhang Empire famed scholars, practically had been pouring gold to Lian House with their constantly booked out reservations. Everyone working at Lian house was aware both young ladies came from Ji estate. Moreover, who did not know that Ji family was a military household symbolized by a tiger? Thus, Ji SongLi's identity could not have been more clear, it was the least the servants could do to let Lian house' financial benefactor's family members to be granted access.

In spring, Lian house looked breathtaking. The shrubs lining the winding footpaths were blooming flowers, and the taller trees seemingly did not want to lose to their splendor as well, their branches accoutered with colorful blossoms. Some of the petals were swayed by the spring breeze and gently fell onto the footpaths, creating a surreal atmosphere.

 

 

Upon reaching the lotus pond area, Ji SongLi heard a dwindling dizi's melody, sounding as fragile as a flower petal itself, the tune was but a remain of the gentle spring breeze. There was a moment of silence after the tune echoed out, then there was a loud roar of clapping hands.

He followed the sound of the commotion, and finally he was greeted by a view of an open expansive area. There was a suspended pavilion across the lotus pond, clearly built to serve as a centerpiece. As he stood under a blooming wisteria tree by the pond, he could clearly see the figures on the pavilion.

 

 

Before even paying more attention to any other, his gaze was helplessly drawn onto one sitting figure. The maiden was holding a guqin on her lap, a familiar guqin that he had cherished. As her fingers gently caressed the instrument, he felt as though the strings in his heart were being plucked instead.

It was the very same guqin which he had entrusted his mother to give to the person he had constantly been thinking about for the past few years.

He leaned his body against the tree's trunk, not daring to shift his gaze from the sitting figure. For a while, there was only faint sound of chirping birds in Lian house, all the spectators not daring to mutter a single sound as the performers on the stage, once again, prepared to do their next performance.

The girl she was fixated on was wearing a light green dress. After she tuned her zither with a few notes, she began to strum her qin clearly.

 

SONG LINK (YOUTUBE) || TITLE: 吹簫人去玉樓空1 Probably not the best English translation of the title: "The residual sound of a xiao"/ There's also a youtube's link translating it as "The Rain Stops, but The Xiao Remains". Xiao is another type of chinese flute.. INSTRUMENTAL VERSION

 

After a few notes, the sound of dizi followed. It was almost a solo performance by the dizi player, He Shan. He and YuLan exchanged eye contact once in a while, smiling at one another's produced sound through their instruments.

YuLan thoroughly lost herself in the melody; He Shan was truly a marvelous musician, all the emotions they wanted to evoke were clearly delivered through his flute. And who would have known, even the birds banded together to bless them with their singing. 

"Truly a perfect picture of spring that could only be found in paintings," she thought. Although her experience in Lian house had started a bit rocky with the incident a few weeks back, she now truly enjoyed performing. The place was a picture of beauty; in her past life, she could only imagine such grandeur by watching movies. 

She closed her eyes as she breathed in the crisp air, while still dancing her fingers on the guqin's strings. Her background qin music was the wind that carried He Shan's whistling melody.

When she slowly opened her eyes, she spoiled her eyesight on the splendor of spring, magnificently displayed around her. Colorful petals were carried by the gentle breeze, slowly falling onto the lotus pond. Some were carried onto the stage and landed on her long dress and zither. Her lips were lifted in a faint smile, as she languidly looked towards the spectators who were seated at the pavilions across where she was.

Suddenly all the male guests straightened up their previously slouching relaxed figures, as the ethereal looking qin player graced them with her limpid gaze and her barely imperceptible smile. Just a slightly upturned lips, as though she was just looking at nothing in particular, but the rosy charm caused the color of spring to burst forth within their hearts.

As she continued to spread her gaze just slightly to her side while still strumming her zither to accompany He Shan's flute tune, she saw the wisteria tree with the pretty cascading purple flowers. The wisteria tree, although not exactly positioned straight in front of her, was very clear to see when she looked towards the right side of the pavilion.

There was single figure under the canopy of the purple blossoms. The light colored attire the person was wearing was a stark white contrast amidst the cascading purple petals.

He was leaning against the tree trunk, his gaze clearly fixated towards her.

YuLan's brows were slightly lifted as she looked at the familiar-yet-not profile.

As he noticed her lingering gaze towards him, Ji SongLi gave her a slight nod, smiling at her.

Her furrowed brows loosened up as her eyes widened; and her face slowly revealed her recognition towards him.

She smiled back.

 

They were separated by the lotus pond, but she was very clear for him to see

 

They were separated by the lotus pond, but her visage was clear as though they were in front of each other. He focused on her smile, not daring to blink. It was the very same smile that had been haunting him in his dreams and accompanied him through his desolated lonely nights at the desert.

The dizi sound gradually faded, marking the end of the performance. As he exhaled his long-held breath, Ji SongLi's back was slightly slumped in defeat. He raised his hand over his chest, feeling the vibration of his loudly beating heart.

He had fallen so deep in this abyss, filled with her smile and existence, he could almost feel his very soul drowning.

But he knew, he did not want to save himself.

 

4