0.1 Loving You For A Lifetime || Lee Tanaka and His Chance Encounter
345 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next five chapters are supposedly a prologue, posted on Wattpad as another book (it's 10 chapters there, but the content is the same, the one posted here on Scribblehub has been edited). However, I include it here as it's pretty short and at this point of the main story, it is the story meant to add the blank spaces of 'who' and 'why' in the main story.

Cover on Wattpad:

 

His phone started beeping loudly, the flashing of the blue screen was the single blinding source of light in the dark bedroom.

Lee Tanaka let out a cuss while trying to bury his head under his warm, comfortable blanket. Winter in London was a bitch, especially in early mornings. His hand peeked out to reach his phone that he was sure he had put by the bedside table. He wanted to snooze it; just fifteen minutes more of sleep would be great.

Then his half-asleep mind soon realized that the beeping sound was actually not his phone's alarm, but was instead notifying him of an incoming call.

Exhaling a sigh that sounded more like an exasperated groan, he grabbed his phone and was going to blast a new one at the person who dared to call him when it was still dark outside... .

The screen showed [Dad].

He squinted his eyes and sighed in resignation. His father definitely had the right to call him; even when sun still had not risen, even if it was Armageddon, Lee still had to properly answer his father’s call. Yawning, Lee pressed the green icon on his phone to answer the call while curling his body into a shrimp, burrowing himself more inside his blanket.

"Hello?" He murmured with his coarse, sleepy voice.

"Lee? Video call!" A male voice, speaking in Japanese, was heard from the other line.

"Urghhh… ," he groaned, "I understand. Wait a moment." Lee also replied back in Japanese out of habit.

With a few deep breaths to gather all the warmth inside his body, he sat and leaned his body against the headboard. He blinked a few times to soothe his dry eyes, then he turned on a bed-lamp on the side-table, before pressing on the video call button.

"Hi Dad," Lee greeted, his eyes squinting as he yawned. He was still not looking properly at the screen.

"Happy Birthday, Lee." His father's face gradually came into view after he managed to finally focus his sight.

Lee blinked as his lips were slowly pulled into smile. However he soon winced when he suddenly heard a bellowing soprano female voice from the background on the other side.

[Lovebirds resting as a couple, butterflies dancing in pairs;]

[Intoxicated in a garden filled with the beauty of spring.]

His mother came into view, swaying her petite frame as she sashayed closer. Then she shamelessly wrapped her arms around his father's neck. 
His father had a stoic expression, but Lee could clearly see the mirth in his father’s eyes as the latter let his wife nibble on his ears.

[I whisper to the monk behind his ears;]

[Am I pretty as you like, my beloved?]

Then she went full opera with her singing,

[Say, what is wealth, what is prosperity?]

[Why care about strict Buddhist rules?]

[Just wishing to be eternal, like the universe… .]

Lee held his phone away from him at arm's length distance, while he groaned and covered his face with his other palm. His mother still continued her high-pitched singing after pecking his father on  his cheeks. Now she was pouting her lips playfully for Lee to see.

"Oh, Mom... ," Lee muttered, now fully closing his eyes in mock disgust.

[Being close to my lover,]

[Loving that person, loving that person,]

[May we always be together forever in this lifetime.] 

 

 SONG LINK (YOUTUBE) || TITLE:  女兒情 (NU ER QING). SINGER: TONG LI

 

After his mother finished her trademark song, Lee finally dared to open his eyes again. His mother giggled while his father just gave his son a helpless look. The older man’s ears, where his wife had planted her kisses before, were as red as tomatoes.

"I'll let your mother talk to you." His father coughed before handing the phone to his wife. Then, he walked out of view, his steps were too fast to hide his embarrassment.

His mother was still giggling happily like a young maiden when her bright smiling face came into view, "Really, after so many years together, he is still so stiff. Like a monk!" She laughed at her husband's retreating figure and lamented in Chinese, "How fitting."

"Mooommm~!" Lee rolled his eyes.

"Oh, that's right." She turned to smiled at him, "Happy twenty-sixth birthday, my baby!!"

Twenty six years old, and this woman still called him a baby.

Lee smiled and stretched his legs, still making sure his limbs were fully hidden under his blanket. He changed his conversational language to Chinese when speaking to his mother,

"What time is it in Fujikawa1富士川町, Fujikawa-cho is a town in Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan. Not to be confused with another Fujikawa-cho nearby Mt. Fuji?"

"It's mid-day here." His mom gestured to the brightly sunlit room behind her.

Lee yawned again, "Seriously, Mom. With the way you have been teasing Dad, it's a wonder you both only have two children."

The woman snorted indignantly, "You brat! Kids are expensive! How much do you think you and your older brother's education have cost me?"

Lee gave her a sheepish grin.

She continued to grumble, "One is a lawyer, the other is a medical practitioner... . Why couldn't you both choose a cheaper University degree?" 

"I love you, Mom." He blew a kiss at her to appease her. The older woman smiled at his mischievous guilty expression.

His parents had moved back to Japan years ago, to Fujikawa in Yamanashi prefecture. It was his father's birth-place, in which Mr. Tanaka had lived until his teen years before interning in China where he finally got to meet his wife.

After they were married, they migrated to United Kingdom to work. His father’s small business venture back then was just enough to make a small fortune to enable him to sell it to a bigger corporation within a few years. His mother was a smart woman as well; she did all the social networking that the both of them needed to establish their business and to look for prospective buyers. If his father was the brain, his mother was definitely the channel and the loudspeaker where his father could let his brilliance be seen and heard by other people.

As soon as they were somewhat financially stable, they gave birth to two children, Lee and his older brother. Lee knew that his parents were more than everything a child could ask for, both Mr. and Mrs. Tanaka did not have any qualms sending their two children to attain the higher education Lee and his brother were interested in.

When the oldest son said that he wanted to be a doctor, and Lee himself mentioned he wanted to be a law practitioner, Mrs. Tanaka supported their decision, "It doesn't matter how difficult it is." She said back then, "If you both want it, just go for it. Your brains are your own and that is the most difficult part. As for money, your Dad and I have enough to support you both. As long as you're serious and be responsible about it, I don't have any reason to hold you back."

The small fortune, that would otherwise be more than enough for their parents’ early retirement, was spent for Lee’s law school and his older brother’s medical school.

Therefore, his brother and he did use their brains - they both graduated at the top of their classes.

Lee was now a rising star lawyer at a boutique law firm at downtown London. His salary was more than enough for his living and leisure. Truth be told, even if their parents did not work anymore for the rest of their lives, he could support them. Fujikawa is relatively a small town anyway, and living costs would not break Lee’s bank. However, he knew his parents would not let him do it.

Therefore, what he had done together with his brother, was to set up a trust fund under their parents' names and constantly put money into it. Whenever their parents wanted to retire, even at this very moment, they could. At the moment, the couple was happy to look after a small farm to sustain their living back in Fujikawa.

His mom always looked proud when she told her children, both Lee and his older brother, the tale of how she courted their Japanese father.

That's right. She courted him. Until his dad practically threw in the towel. 
His father was always a rigid and expressionless man. His mother dubbed him a "monk", so the song that she had sung earlier was her favorite. It was her arsenal when she chased after him in her younger years.

Nonetheless, there was no doubt in Lee's mind that his parents were a perfect pair.

After he said goodbye to his mom and ended the call, he shuffled off his bed and walked into the bathroom to have a hot shower. There was no point getting back to sleep as he had to get himself ready for work soon.

He still carried his phone along. In this day and age, a phone was like a girlfriend, never to leave one’s side.

His phone beeped again, but this time signalling an incoming Whatsapp message. While still walking, Lee opened his Whatsapp to look at the message. He smiled, and typed in his reply. Then he put his phone in an empty small basket for dirty clothes on a small table in front of his bathroom.

 

-------------------------

 

*** *** ***

It was only a couple of stops by subway to reach the downtown area where Lee worked at. His final stop would be close to the usual cafe he had promised to meet James in later on.

On the subway, his phone beeped again - another Whatsapp message notification. It was his older brother. Lee smiled and started typing to reply and chat with him.

 

 Lee smiled and started typing to reply and chat with him

 

Lee chuckled to himself. He still could not believe their mother had named both Jet and himself after the famous actor that specialized in action and martial arts movies2Refers to Jet Lee / Jet Li / 李连杰, an actor well known in martial-arts movies. He was not sure if their father was aware of it, as Mr. Tanaka was not into movies too much. However even if his father knew the background of how the names were decided on, Lee doubted his father would have any say in it.

He continued his chat with Jet.

 

He continued his chat with Jet

 

*** *** ***

 

Walking towards an intersection, he saw James waving at him. His friend was wearing his usual spectacles that he only wore during workdays. The glasses did not even have any power, and James had 20/20 perfect eyesight.

"To make me look smarter," James had once said when Lee asked him about it a long time ago.

 

"To make me look smarter," He once said when Lee had asked him about it a long time ago

(James Han)

 

James Han was a British-born Chinese, one year younger than Lee. He was also in the same legal team at the law company they both worked at. They had become best friends over the years working together, with a lot of similar hobbies.

"Lee, the café is closed for renovation," James said as soon as Lee safely crossed the road to where he was.

"Ahhh, shit! I really need my coffee," Lee grumbled.

"Wait up!" James took out his phone and typed onto the screen, "There seems to be another cafe just two blocks down the road. You wanna go try it?"

Lee shrugged while fixing his coat to cover his exposed neck, "Well I definitely won't survive the day without caffeine. Let's go."

They walked hurriedly against the cold winter wind while following James' Google map directions. Soon, they were greeted with the sight of a small shop located at ground level of an old brick building.

The shop had barely enough space for take-aways, selling mainly coffee and the normal café’s fanfares, that included freshly baked muffins and pre-made baguettes or sandwiches. There was only a handful of seats inside the shop, which were visible from the front of the floor-to-ceiling glass walls that were affixed to the brick structures. However, the window opening where take-away orders were being taken, already had a crowd of people in front of it.

The café had a simple wooden signboard sticking out of the wall, [CafeGood]

Lee could not help but roll his eyes at the very non-imaginative name. Nevertheless, the small shop looked awfully busy; not only was the queue for the take-away long, there were also some people waiting to be seated inside.

Lee and James hastily walked towards the takeaway counter which was currently being manned by one lone spectacled man. The two young men exhaled relieved breaths as they noticed that the people standing there were just waiting for their orders to be made. That meant they did not have to wait to place their order.

The scrawny looking barista looked awfully busy making the customers' orders, frothing milk here, pouring coffee there, taking out some cups from the cupboard behind him... . Pure concentration was on his youthful looking face. He did not even greet or look up at Lee and James, as both men came up to him and were about to make their order.

"One espresso and one latte, no sugar,” Lee said, not caring that the barista was not quite acting as civil. He just wanted his coffee and to be on his merry way to work.

"Flat white, soy. Thanks, John," a soft but clear female voice also intersected with his, both voicing their orders at the same time.

Lee initially did not notice the presence of the woman. He was surprised and was about to apologize to the latter as he turned his head. His word of apology was suddenly caught in his throat.

 

(Mia Simmons)

 

He was silent for a split second, before hastily smiling at her, "Oh, I am so sorry. I didn't realize you were here first."

The young woman also gave him a wide smile. 

A smile that suddenly made his morning a whole lot warmer.

"Not at all." The young woman shifted her handbag over her shoulders, still smiling at him. She then turned towards the barista, "John, you can make the order for these gents first. I'll just sit for a bit. Got some work to do."

 

(John the barista)

(John the barista)

 

John murmured his acknowledgement, still having his head down focusing on his tasks at hand. He was obviously on familiar terms with the woman, as he did not even bother to ask for her payment.

She nodded slightly at Lee and James before walking inside the cafe, then she sat at one of the tall chairs by the cafe's bench, one of the less popular chairs with the café’s patrons, as the seating arrangement did not allow for a companion.

Lee could not take his eyes off her. 

"I'll pay for her order too," Lee said towards John. The latter snorted, all the while still not looking at his customers' faces,

"Well well well, an admirer of my girl friend Mia. She has high standards in men, you know. You will be hard-pressed to meet her requirements... . You should just give up... ."

John finally looked up at Lee, then at James, 

".... or not!" The eyes behind the spectacles visibly widened in glee as John whistled, "HELLO, handsomes!! New faces! Handsome faces! Let John take care of your caffeine boost."

 

(Lee Tanaka)

 

James shifted himself to stand behind Lee, seeking protection from the hungry eyes of the very flamboyantly talking barista.

"Well you are certainly good looking. Enough for my girl-friend's pretty face there," John gestured with his chin towards the young woman who was now typing rapidly on her laptop.

"Mia?" Lee prompted, his eyes following John's gesture. The young woman was in deep concentration and had her brows lightly furrowed. Her eyes, framed by a set of thin, long eyelashes, were downcast, concentrating on whatever was on her screen, while her long fingers continued typing. Initially, Lee was only drawn to her smile, but now that she was puffing her cheeks slightly while still in deep thought, Lee could not help but find her mightily adorable.

"How can someone so adorable exist!" Lee thought.

"Mia Simmons," John grinned at him, noticing Lee's tapered gaze, "She is here on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays. You are welcome. Now, you can thank me by giving either your phone number or your friend's there."

James completely hid himself behind Lee's back.

Lee took out his phone, searched through his contacts, and showed his screen to the barista,

"This," Lee lifted his chin and gestured towards the person behind his back, "Is his." He stepped sideways so James came in full view again, "His name is James Han."

James groaned. John the barista let out a delighted chuckle, and quickly wrote the number down,

"Well very nice to meet you, Mr. James Han," John grinned widely at Lee, "And you are?"

"Lee Tanaka." Lee offered his hand to John, which the latter accepted to shake, "Thanks, John."

"My absolute pleasure, darlings. If Mia ever breaks your heart, I'm here." He flirtingly winked at Lee.

Lee laughed. After paying for his order, James', and Mia's, he joined the other waiting customers by the road-side for his order to be ready. He was usually always in a hurry, but this time, he did not mind it in the slightest. His gaze was focused towards the café’s glass wall, where he could see the woman's profile behind it clearly.

He stood there watching her silently until their orders were ready. Lee took his espresso and John very subtly handed James' latte to the latter while coincidentally brushing his fingers over James’ hand. James almost dropped his coffee.

Throwing a final glance at Mia, Lee walked away. James grumbled,

"I hate you."

Lee laughed. James sipped his coffee, "Traitor. How could you sell your friend for a woman. Yeah, she's a bit pretty, but... ."

"She is the prettiest woman I have ever seen," Lee corrected.

James stopped and looked at his friend,

"Holy shit!! Lee! You are smitten!!"

"Maybe so...," Lee thought. He was not in his teens anymore and way past his puberty period. In fact, he had not had interest in serious relationships with women ever since he started his career. But there was something about this woman that had drawn him from the deepest part of his soul. He already made up his mind.

"Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays. I will return to that shop."

James finally started to walk again to match Lee’s pace, while muttering under his breath,

"I may have to change my phone number... .” James shuddered as he recalled the barista's playful wink at him before. And the barista’s touch... .

 "Don't!" Lee said, "A lot of our clients already know your personal number. It will be hard for them to get in touch with you if you change it."

"Well you should have thought about that before you sold me out!!" James bellowed.

In Lee's mind, a familiar song played,

[Am I pretty enough for you, my beloved]

"Yes... Yes, you are... ."

 

The combination of Jet's and Lee's names refers to this guy . He is a well-known actor (and one of the more genuine martial-artists, not just an pretend-to-be.)

Jet's nickname on the Whatsapp conversation is 'TMD'. Lee refers his doctor elder brother after Team Medical Dragon. It's a popular Japanese drama/movie/manga about medical practitioners.

The Whatsapp conversations were made using a phone app. I forgot what it's called as I've made them a while ago. (Because I had too much time to play this make-believe. Lol)

 

3