1.50 Aging of a Beauty (2)
127 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was YuLan's request to sing the song – titled ["Aging of a Beauty"] - as the opening act of their performance. 

For her and all her limited capability in this lifetime, there was only so much she could do or say. Thus, words spoken through a song was the only thing she could think of, to be able to slightly represent her uneasiness. It was to also give voice to Ji LanBai's and Wu JianRui's, even to a certain extent, Hai FenChu's, silence in their grievance.

Initially, He Shan and Sun Chen were going to join them on the podium straight after her performance for their normal repertoires.

However, before the two scholars could make their way to the podium to join her and Ji LanBai, the Empress slowly lifted her hand as she waved it slightly, causing her heavily embroidered silk robe's sleeve to sway.

Everyone currently present did not dare to breathe as the female regarded as the Phoenix slowly stood, her slim stature looked imposing as she directed her gaze towards the stage.

"Zhi gong-gong1a common way to address a eunuch," she said clearly and slowly, summoning her personal attending eunuch who was always present within close vicinity of herself,

"Who might be these two talented young ladies who have just graced us all with their beautiful performance?"

She merely asked for formality and idle question; previously, she had already been informed of the whole performers that were going to perform that day – at least for their names only. After all, she had to give her final approval, as these performers were going to display their talents in front of the Emperor, herself, and a lot of other important personages. Although the nature of the performances was already briefed to her, way before the banquet, such as "poetry", "dance", or "musical", the content of the performances was secrets only to the performers themselves.

That did not mean the two young ducklings had not given her a surprise. It was the first time for her to see the young daughter of Ji ChanFang, the Emperor's sworn brother. However the ones that appeared were two young women, who were still mere children in her eyes, of more or less similar age. One of the two, irked her. Therefore, she had to know.

"To report to niang-niang2A way of addressing the Empress or high ranked consort ." The old eunuch stepped forward and bowed his body, "Those are Young Miss Ji LanBai, and Young Miss Bai YuLan. Both hail from the Ji clan."

"So one of them is definitely Ji ChanFang's daughter and also the future official wangfei for the Yong Prince... ." She thought, "The other... is called Bai YuLan?"

She fixated her sharp gaze towards the taller young woman of the two, on the stage.

"She... is not a Jing?"

"How can there be such a coincidence?"

"General Ji." She tilted her head towards the Ji family's platform, while still not breaking eye contact from the central stage. At least, the two young women on the platform were still bowing their heads, hence she could scrutinize them all she wanted.

The general audience from the public already had cold sweat on their bodies that were layered by their lavish garments.

"Which one of these two is your lovely daughter?" Her voice was calm and melodious, unlike the turbulence in her mind. She already knew the answer to that question as well, just by looking at that one's face.

The one called Bai YuLan.

Although Ji ChanFang was Zhang SongWang's sworn brother, that oath happened before the latter ascended the throne. In all propriety, Zhang SongWang that had become the Emperor, and hence the Empress as well, were his superior.

Ji ChanFang straightened his body as he stood up and he cupped his fists as show of his respect and reverence towards the Empress,

"To answer Your Highness The Empress." He bowed his head slightly, "This subject's daughter is the one playing the guqin."

"Oh?" The Empress smiled lightly, but there was no trace of amusement on her expression, "Then who is the other ... lovely young lady?"

She added, while very subtly glanced at the Emperor who was seated by her side,

"Who ... is this Bai YuLan?"

Ji ChanFang missed the cold tone in her voice. However, he had already prepared an answer,

"To answer Your Highness. She is my wife's --," he slightly glanced at Hai FenChu who was already looking at him warily, "-- my second wife's distant niece from her hometown."

It was the best identity Wu JianRui and Hai FenChu could think of, to give YuLan the slightest boost in her status, without causing too much of an uproar. She already made a name for herself, having performed in Lian house before. But people would definitely point fingers and spat fire if they found out that a mere maid was given such freedom to present herself in the higher tier of the society, and even now, in front of the Imperial Family.

Hai FenChu let out a relieved sigh at Ji ChanFang's well-versed reply. Never in her imagination that YuLan's identity would be questioned in front of so many people. And by the Empress, no less.

At his reply, the Empress balled her fists tightly under her sleeve. She cast as rueful glance at the Emperor, but quickly returned her face to her normal calm expression as the Emperor also looked back at her, his thick brows were slightly scrunched.

"Ji ChanFang is lying."

"Does my dear emperor know? Before this day, did he know?"

"Am I the only one playing the fool... again?"

Nevertheless, as the mother of the country, she must play her part.

"Bai YuLan," her gentle voice carried an authoritative chillness to it, "That... was a lovely form... of ...," she paused for a breath, thinking of a correct term to name the unusual composition, "... poetry."

"Bengong3A way of addressing oneself, normally used by a highly-ranked imperial consorts has heard about Master He Shan's and Master Sun Chen's disciples' outstanding talents." Her lips curled slightly, "It is not an overstatement."

Her relaxed melodious voice betrayed the frostiness within, signifying she was not impressed in the slightest.

It was more like... contempt.

"[Rivers and mountains have not aged]" She repeated the lyrics sung earlier,

"What a clever way to depict our great dynasty. Zhang Empire, our majestic Da Lang, is as mighty and wondrous as the rivers and mountains themselves."

"[But the beauty has clearly aged], [Time flows as always], [She is no longer as she was]."

The Empress squinted her eyes slightly, her voice became flat,

"[When will the flames of war rest?]"

"Very good lyrics indeed, child," She coldly said, "However, what you have sung... is it not a blatant form of rebellion?"

At this point, Hai FenChu's face paled. She almost lost herself as she wanted to stand and kneel to ask for the Empress' forgiveness on YuLan's behalf. Yet, she did not really know what she need to apologize for.

However, her already half-kneeling posture was halted by Wu JianRui who slightly raised her hand with the latter's eyes full of concern and warning.

No one should offend the Empress.

However, Ji SongLi then suddenly stood to join his father in giving a bow to the Empress,

"Your Highness is merciful." The young man bowed while cupping his fists to greet the Empress; but unlike his father, his gaze directly met hers,

"Bai YuLan is already, in every way, part of the Ji clan. What she has said or done, are in the best interests of the Ji clan."

There was clear intent in his subtly chosen words that if the Empress were to accuse YuLan for enticing any form of defiance to the Empire, that would be akin to accuse the whole Ji family itself.

And his unwavering gaze towards the Phoenix figure, was to return the warning towards her as well.

Zhang Empire could not afford to offend the bearer of the Tiger seal. Even though Ji ChanFang might not be able to participate directly in battles in the future, the lineage of Ji was still very much alive.

Ji SongLi, was alive.

The Empress was slightly surprised to see the young man's nerve to be able to return her gaze squarely. After all, no one should and could ever openly look at the Dragon and the Phoenix directly in the eyes. It was not necessarily a crime, but it was deemed utterly discourteous towards the two head-figures of the Empire.

Her irritation grew, "Young General Ji!"

The Empress addressed him by a General title already. With how Ji ChanFang was, it was just a matter of time that the young man would have that title and wear the hat of the Ji family's lineage. It was also to remind him of his status and responsibility,

"A soldier's duty is to protect the country. With our great Da Lang being coveted continuously by our foes, what should the mighty Zhang Empire do if all our men were to be idle at home... ," she returned her gaze towards YuLan, "... to be with a beauty?"

"Tell Bengong, if this is not a form of disrespect towards our great dynasty, then what is?"

At this point, her two Imperial Sons - the Crown Prince Zhang KongJing and Second Prince Zhang JunLi - and Third Prince Zhang GuoFu stood from their seats.

And the young vice-commander of the Zhen clan, Zhen BuFeng, also stood.

"What in the name of the deities is happening!" She could feel blood rushing to her head.

The Crown Prince was her firstborn son. She had not seen him for a while, but he was still dear to her heart. Zhang KongJing had a half-mask covering his face; his tall figure looked wane, causing a slight ache in her heart.

As an Empress, and because Zhang KongJing already had a fief on his own, they had hardly met each other lately. She was always in the inner palace, with little room to move behind the tall stone walls. He had his own matters to take care of, especially when he was going to be the next Emperor.

Everything that she could ever want in worldly things, she could obtain. But not the presence of the people that mattered to her the most.

Such was fate of a female in this era. And according to the Empress, it was just and rightly so. Otherwise, what was the meaning of her whole life?

Waiting for their husbands, waiting for their sons.

Therefore, the song ... was a mockery. The song ... was a form of impudence.

Yet she could only watch as her precious son bow slightly towards her, "Imperial Mother is merciful. This son knows Young Master Ji SongLi, Young Miss Ji LanBai, and Young Miss Bai YuLan for a number of years."

Even the Crown Prince did not look at the Empress directly in front of public audience, his head was still slightly lowered respectfully.

"Rest assured, Imperial Mother. YuLan did not mean anything that Imperial Mother has.... understandably .... been concerned about."

The Empress did not miss the direct calling of the young woman's name by the Crown Prince. Usually he was always sensible enough to maintain all proprieties in his conduct, especially in addressing unmarried females. Either he was not feeling well that day that he forgot, or their relationship was closer than she had previously thought.

"So essentially, my own son is indirectly telling me that I am just being paranoid. Or petty."

"Imperial Mother is merciful," Second Prince Zhang JunLi also bowed towards her, in support of his older brother's earlier speech.

"Imperial Mother is merciful," Third Prince Zhang GuoFu also followed, bowing his body towards her. Even the Third Prince, who had hardly interacted with her before, dared to also voice his thought.

"The Empress is merciful," Zhen BuFeng spoke as well, his voice cold and detached as always.

The Empress was his blood-related aunt because General Zhen was her blood-brother. Even so, she had hardly seen her nephew talk. But today, he spoke to her, being disrespectful. In fact, everyone did.

All spoke on behalf of Bai YuLan.

Princess Zhang XiuYa gripped her palm tightly under her sleeves, trying her best to not cause an outburst. At first, she was elated to see that Bai YuLan had somehow offended her Imperial Aunt with her earlier song. As young as she was, she did not really understand the implied meaning behind the lyrics. But nevertheless, if the Empress was not happy with YuLan, Zhang XiuYa was happy.

From the Minister of Finance's podium, Chao HuiBo and Chao MeiHua could only sit, while sneaking glances towards all people involved. They also tried their best to observe the Empress' reaction and expression throughout.

Chao HuiBo was nervous on Bai YuLan's behalf; Chao MeiHua was nervous on Ji SongLi's behalf. Both could only be silent.

The two young women on the platform were still humbly in their earlier lowered curtsy position. But their hands were linked to each other, giving support in close distance.

The Empress was suddenly speechless as she looked at the still-standing young men in turn. But she was not resigned.

The Tiger seal's heir, the Wolf seal's heir, all the Princes – they all gave support to the person called Bai YuLan.

Didn't the whole scene just cause humiliation to her? She, who was the most respected woman in the whole dynasty? She, who was the Phoenix? Why were there so many people defying her that day?

She was about to express her displeasure, but an arm reached out to touch her already-half-lifted hand. She turned to see the Emperor's gaze on her.

For the first time that day, her ire was softened. Despite what they both had noticed, had seen, had observed... .

How similar Bai YuLan to ... her...  .

The Emperor's eyes were full of gentleness. It had been a long time since he had seen her that way. As he shook his head slightly, he expressed his silent understanding.

As a slight warning as well, for her to not lose her composure in front of so many subjects. After all, she was the Empress.

She swallowed her unspoken words.

"Zhen's Empress is not feeling too well today," the Emperor spoke, not releasing his hold on her hand.

Under their long sleeves, currently touching and blending with each other, the Emperor's fingers linked to hers.

The Empress' breath stilled as she lowered her head.

"Zhen will accompany the Empress to rest. Good subjects, please proceed with the banquet."

As the eunuch announced their departure and as she was guided down their platform towards the awaiting palanquin, The Emperor still had not released his fingers from her own.

For the first time in years, he displayed his attention, more that he had ever done before, to her. In front of so many subjects as well.

"Did JingYi-mei also feel like what I am feeling now? As he intertwined his fingers with hers a long  time ago?"

"To pay for a man's affection with lack of freedom and perhaps death... is it worth it?"

The Emperor softly muttered as he helped her onto her carriage - both had come in different palanquins - , "Zhen  will visit dear Empress later."

 

0