1.54 He Shan’s Care
118 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Are you absolutely sure?"

He Shan had asked for the fourth time ever since YuLan told him about her intention to leave Ji house.

At the moment, she, Xiao Hui, and He Shan were inside the music room at Liu YangHuan's estate. In another separate room, Ji LanBai was once again being tortured by SunChen to drill more literature into her brain.

YuLan sighed lightly, but with a trace of amused smirk on her lips. This particular music teacher of hers was a worrywart.

As she had considered He Shan and Sun Chen her mentors and close friends as well, of course she had to properly say her farewell. It was against her character to just leave without saying anything.

Doing that to Ji LanBai was already excruciating, but she did not have any other choice. 

"Don't worry, Master He Shan," Xiao Hui puffed her chests and lifted her chin in arrogance,  "I will be travelling with YuLan. You don't need to worry about anything."

HeShan looked at the chirpy maid blankly, studying her proud expression. He sighed loudly and muttered,

"If anything, I am more worried now... ."

YuLan chuckled. She knew He Shan and Sun Chen had cared for her and Ji LanBai since they were young. They were probably the closest people she could think of as brothers.

"SongLi will also be accompanying us," YuLan assured. 

"At least for the initial journey." She had tried to convince the young man otherwise, but Ji SongLi had been very stubborn in his decision to accompany her. 

"At least, until you safely reach your initial intended destination," Ji SongLi had said before. YuLan could only acquiesce after some banters. She did not even initially expect any guards to be bestowed to her by Ji ChanFang, but now the heir himself wanted to accompany her.

It would be a lie if she said she did not feel the tiniest warmth from his care, but she knew that her road, his path - they should not be together. He had a lot of things to be responsible for, family to protect, prestige to carry and uphold. 

She, could not, did not want be a part of that kind of world.

Spending more time with him would just cause more heartache.

"But Young Master Ji won't be with you forever," He Shan very helpfully reminded.

There was another stab inside her heart. She tried to mask the annoyed glare she accidentally threw at the oblivious scholar, and quickly eased her furrowing eyebrows.

"Jing Mo will be with us!" Xiao Hui chirped in.

YuLan let out another low sigh. Since Xiao Hui decided to follow her, of course Xiao Hui had to tell Jing Mo as well.

YuLan would be stupid if she did not notice that Xiao Hui had a massive crush on the man.

She did not know Jing Mo's background, apart from their several encounters ever since the Lian house' pond incident, but she could observe that at least, he was a kind person to Xiao Hui. 

Regardless, it would be good for Xiao Hui as well if Jing Mo tag along. He was strong and he cared for her.

"This and that is different." He Shan shook his head, "Jing Mo is still young himself. I won't be at ease if... ," he paused, putting his fingers on his chin. Not long after, his face brightened,

"I shall go with you as well then!"

YuLan blinked at him, "Go with us, as in 'until we settle somewhere', or 'indefinitely'?" She tilted her head.

"Indefinitely!" He Shan answered very confidently.

"Scholars really have too much free time, don't they?" She thought.

"But what about LanBai? She can't have both of her teachers leaving her at the same time, can she?"

"What do you mean 'both'?" It's He Shan's turn to blink at her in confusion.

YuLan was astounded, "What about Sun-laoshi?"

"I thought those two men are practically conjoined twins. I have never seen Sun Chen leaving his side apart from lessons... ."   

"What do you mean 'what about SunChen'? My decision is my decision alone, of course," He Shan waved his hand dismissively, letting out a low snort at her question.

YuLan felt a bad premonition inside her heart, "I cannot really convince you otherwise if you have decided for yourself... . But are you not going to at least tell Sun-laoshi that you are leaving... ?"

"... that you are leaving him?" She completed her question inside her own mind.

He Shan just laughed incredulously at her cautiousness, 

"Chen is a grown man. I am a grown man. Why do I need to tell him where and when I want to go?"

"But!" He was reminded of something suddenly, "I must definitely say proper farewell to my master."

He stood, brushed some non-existent dust off his white robe, and grinned at the two dumbfounded young women,

"I will go to Master Wu's house now to seek for my master. Just tell Chen when he's done with his lesson that I have gone to see my master and will be back soon."

YuLan watched his figure walked out and disappeared beyond the door. She lightly scratched the back of her neck,

"If Sun Chen knows, I doubt he'll let you leave by yourself... ."

*** *** ***

At Wu DanShao's residence, the two old scholars were drinking tea when He Shan arrived. Initially they were astonished to see him by himself without Sun Chen tagging along. But when they heard that Sun Chen was in the midst tutoring Ji LanBai, they just nodded their heads in understanding and carried on drinking their precious tea.

Liu YangHuan's fingers stilled though, when He Shan told of his intention to leave with his disciple - Bai YuLan.

Some emotions were jumbled inside him. Granted, Liu YangHuan missed the peacefulness that was the absence of He Shan. Ever since He Shan and Sun Chen arrived back at the capital, constant calling cards from some noble houses - that had unmarried young maidens - constantly poured in. 

Liu YangHuan and Wu DanShao only burnt them all.

At the end Liu YanHuan could only laugh,

"Very good! What a very good master! You definitely have to protect your disciple!"

"And begone from my list of troubles!"

Wu DanShao cautiously asked as he watched his good friend still laughing in high spirit, "So..., you obviously will go with Chen, right?"

"No, Old Master Wu, I have made the decision by myself. Chen has nothing to do with it."

Liu YangHuan and Wu DanShao only exchanged some glances and finally made more idle talk with He Shan. Outside, the sun was starting to get dark, casting orange hue in the horizon.

He Shan stood from his seat and walked towards his master. He stopped a respectful distance and suddenly knelt.

Liu YangHuan almost spat his tea out.

He Shan made a full bow, touching his head on the ground and as he lifted his body, he cupped his fists together in a respectful gesture,

"The debt that I have towards Old Master Liu can never be repaid in my lifetime," he looked up to his master, his eyes moist,

"Master has taught and raised me ever since I was small. Master has saved me from the cold winter, burning summer, and pain of hunger."

"I am regretful that I cannot be by Old Master's side anymore, as you grow older. Master is not young anymore. I hope Old Master will take good care of yourself. "

Liu YangHuan threw a blank paper scroll at him, missing He Shan deliberately, and pointed his trembling finger,

"You! Are you my mother! And don't curse me by saying I am old! My brain is still much sharper than yours!"

He Shan only smiled back, trace of melancholy on his face.

Liu YangHuan, for once, was unable to spew more reproach. He just lowered his head to pretend to drink from his empty tea-cup.

Wu DanShao was the person who broke the silence,

"Aiya~! Truly good disciple! Your master knows how much you care for him. But now that you are a teacher to someone else as well, you should carry the torch in looking after your own disciple."

He sighed lament-fully, turning his gaze towards the window, where the reddish sky could be seen,

"Such as the fate of educators... ."

He Shan stood and walked towards his master, handing over a beautiful engraved canister, with intricate engravings of small flowers and a pine tree.

 

"Inside are some tea that Old Master Liu loves," he smiled, taking his teacher's hands and putting them on top of the canister that he put on his lap,

 

"Inside are some tea that Old Master Liu loves." He smiled, taking his teacher's hands and putting them on top of the canister that he put on his lap,

"My acquaintance from Lian teahouse brought some for me a few days back. The tea is pretty strong. Please do not drink them too much, Old Master, lest it will damage your liver."

Liu YangHuan was still staring at the intricate canister on his lap, even after He Shan took his leave and left Wu DanShao's estate.

Wu DanShao silently observed his friend. Only after some time, he could not stand the silence anymore, he coughed loudly.

Liu YangHuan looked up, finally awoken from his stupor,

"Uh? Oh, that Shan brat has gone, hasn't he?"

"Since a while ago, Brother Liu." Wu DanShao smiled, "Probably the last time you'll see him until a long time. Who knows when we can meet again."

"Ahhh~! Good riddance! Good riddance!" Liu YangHuan let out a strained loud laugh, pouring himself another cup of tea that was already cold a long time ago. Then he lifted one corner of his lips, trying to look smug at Wu DanShao,

"That is my trouble gone, soon, Brother Wu. What about you? You still have SunChen."

Wu DanShao calmly sipped his tea,

"If that Chen brat knows, I doubt he'll let He Shan leave by himself... ."

*** *** ***

It was two more sleeps before YuLan's departure and she was getting restless. When Ji LanBai finally fell asleep, she tiptoed around the bed and went outside her room, heading towards the courtyard.

It was almost the end of summer and autumn breeze could be felt, especially at nights.

She shuddered lightly and pulled her cloak closer around her.

Then she noticed a lone figure sitting on one of the stone seats at the central courtyard. 

 

At first, he was seemingly lost in his own thought as he stared at the starless night sky, but he quickly noticed her presence as she walked closer

At first, he was seemingly lost in his own thought as he stared at the starless night sky. However soon, he quickly noticed her presence when she walked closer.

Ji SongLi smiled at her, "Can't sleep?"

YuLan nodded silently as she walked towards him and leaned her body against the table. As he noticed her slightly shivering figure, he stood and took off his own cloak, to wrap it around YuLan's body.

YuLan could not take her eyes off him. The scene was very familiar, the feeling was very familiar. Years ago, under the blood red twin moon, he also cared for her, just like this. He also took off his cloak for her to be warmer, back then.

In fact, he always cared for her. She did not need to ask or say anything, somehow he always noticed.

YuLan quietly stared at the outstretched hands that were tying the cloak around her neck. Her whole body stiffened.

Ji SongLi noticed her slight discomfort. Despite feeling a slight heartache, he withdrew subtly as soon as his cloak was securely wrapped around her.

"So, I heard that He-laoshi will be joining us?"He tilted his head at her, forcing a relaxed smile.

YuLan nodded, returning his smile, "Yes. From who have you heard?"

"From the man himself," he replied.

It was only proper for He Shan to tell Ji SongLi; after all, not only the latter was to be the main leader of their group as they departed, he was also He Shan's disciple. Not telling Ji LanBai was a different matter, as that was absolutely something no one could ever disclose to the young woman. Otherwise, Ji LanBai would probably tie YuLan to her legs.

"And has he told Sun-laoshi?"Ji SongLi asked.

"No, he has not. I am a bit worried about that actually... ."

They both fell quiet.

"Yes, me too. If Sun-laoshi knows, I doubt he'll let He Shan leave by himself... ." Ji SongLi sighed quietly, "Sun-laoshi will be very angry when he finds out He-laoshi leaves without telling him... ."

YuLan could not help but to laugh at his remarks, as it was definitely what she had thought as well. 

Perhaps, she should do Sun Chen a favor? 

*** *** ***

0