Breaking Down Barriers (2)
41 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“E-Everything he wants, it’s fine by me,” she stammered, widening her eyes.

“Everything he wants?” he asked, raising his brows. “What if he desires a mistress? Or what if he wishes for a child with another woman?”

Silently squirming in her seat, Naavah clutched the dress in her hands, murmuring something incomprehensible. Although her response denoted a certain degree of confusion, the actual perspective was towards avoiding her duties as a wife. But this was a beguiling way to estimate the advantages of such a situation. Aside from being considered lowly or pitiful by other women for this, raising another’s child was purely painful.

However, Fyodor interpreted her behavior differently. He recalled the possessiveness of women and imagined that this frail, thin, and shy person would be the same. Moreover, her clumsy mumbles and gestures made him chuckle softly. He believed she was too embarrassed to say it out loud.

“Don’t worry! I am not a cheater, nor do I want a child with anyone else except my wife. Now, I want you to tell me what you want, not what you think I want to hear from you.”

Hearing his words, Naavah lowered her gaze to the ground, ashamed because he saw right through her attempt to persuade him into an illusion. However, she didn’t know what to say to him further. She had no married friends, nor did she know how men often treat their wives. Thus, she could have relied only on her own principles and moral values.

But, will he be open about it?

Putting on a strained smile, she rubbed her hand and looked outside the window. There was a faint thud from outside, followed by a thump. But the sound of the plate hitting the floor couldn’t disturb Naavah’s inner reflection. There was a chance that he would honestly consider her point of view. Nonetheless, there was a chance he would reject her ideas. And for her, the latest was frightening.

I’ll tell him. And, what should happen, will happen. I’m exhausted.

“I would like a relationship based on loyalty, mutual respect, and understanding. I would also want to be involved in the household's management, so I could fulfill my duties.”

Thinking better at her requests, she finished her statement with her main wish.

“I... uhm... want a genuine marriage with him.”

“A genuine marriage?”

“Yes,” she responded plainly.

However, she thought that an additional explanation was necessary for him to comprehend what she meant by that. After all, she wanted to state her point clearly.

"We both should feel comfortable when we spend time together. To do this, we need common topics for discussions. If that is not the case, we should respect the other person and say it, at least. Likewise, trusting one another would further improve our relationship. And maybe we will love each other in the end," said Naavah, partially crossing her arms.

Examining her intently, he smirked, ignoring the background noise of footsteps in the hall.

“I want my wife to take care of my domain which includes the manor, the village, and the land I own. Furthermore, I want her to not cheat on me while I’m on the battlefield.”

“Uh, is there a need for you to go on the battlefield?”

“Yes. Besides being a Duke, I am also a Knight. For my services, the Emperor gave me a domain for whom I am responsible. I take responsibility for all villagers, as well. But sometimes I am gone for a long time, and so, I can’t do it properly.”

She nodded and pondered his desires. They were quite easy to accomplish even by her, she thought. While there were a few difficulties regarding the interaction with the villagers, the whole matter was feasible.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Go ahead,” said Fyodor, nodding his head.

“Will there be someone to teach me how to take care of your domain?”

“Of course! My butler and I will be there to support and teach you everything you will need to know. And there are a few things, due to the climate difference. Also, we will give you any advice if needed.”

“And I also have a request.”

He nodded his head, again.

“Please tell me as soon as possible about the following departures. I am not lighthearted about it, and so I will need to prepare.”

“Certainly.”

After he reassured her, they stared at each other in complete silence. Naavah finally sensed the distinct musky scent emanating from his cape, which made her lower her gaze. She could feel her cheeks burning and wished to conceal the blush. She raised her hand to her mouth and coughed to hide behind her small fist. Under different circumstances, she wouldn't realize that her actions served no purpose, but now she was more aware of herself. When she glanced back at him and saw that she was still being observed, she began playing with a few strands of hair. Moreover, she believed it was affection she noticed while peering into his eyes, though it was not perfectly clear to her.

Three knocks on the door made Fyodor rise from his seat.

“Well then, it’s time for me to leave. I will see you again soon. Take care of yourself until then!” he said, smiling while kissing the back of her hand.

After he was gone, Naavah sighed. She was both relieved and excited about her future marriage with this man. Although he didn’t directly accept her requests, she found him likable and well mannered. But then she shuddered, remembering that she hadn’t flirted with him. The thought that her cousin, Scarlett, would beat her after finding out terrified her. Regardless, she couldn’t change the past. And in a way, she truly wished she could not.

• There will be one more chapter this week. Also, the words with italic between " " are meant to be the character's inner thoughts.

• Feel free to leave a comment with your opinion about this chapter if you want. I would like to read your thoughts. Also, this helps me improving.

What do you think about Naavah's responses?
  • Boring Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too long Votes: 0 0.0%
  • She made herself clear Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A real life person wouldn't have patience to truly listen to her Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I liked the way she responded to him Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I didn't liked the dialogue at all Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
2