Chapter 18
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Menoran Mountains were a dark and foreboding place, providing a real physical barrier to anyone who wanted to travel through them. Not that there was anything on the other side of the range, of course. Just a long and thin stretch of rocky, inhabitable shoreline. This particular mountain range only existed for one purpose in the eyes of the humans that had been summoned. Raids.

It was the first opportunity for raids that many got, and they were all comparatively low-difficulty. There were four in total, with three of them chained together. They took a great deal of time to refill with monsters once cleared, meaning that, after each successful platoon that ran through it, there was a rare chance to descend into the valley between the peaks to gather rare materials.

With the fear and uncertainty that had persisted during Magnus’s reign over the city of Zenken, it had been nearly a year since anyone had last run through the mountains. That fact alone, and the breeding monsters that called it home, had started having a negative effect on the ecosystem in the area. It caused drastic changes to the power of the monster presence, the most recent example being the Griffon attack. Discussion had run through Zenken after the griffon’s death, and many wondered at the cause of it.

It had been decided that the Menoran Mountains were the cause. So many monsters in one place had shifted the flow of the Monster Winds, drawing even more powerful creatures like the griffon in. If left unchecked, many believed that the monsters would eventually lay siege to Zenken itself. That had to be avoided at all costs. So they turned to the strongest fighting force available, the Smoke Brigade. Jerik had accepted the request from Sel-Kenna easily. His platoon was ready, and it was time that he tested them in a raid.

And so, the day after Nicholas had finished the Legendary-Class armors for himself, Jerik, and Morgan, the platoon had set out in the early hours of the morning. Carrying four wagons of supplies and two Toads, they were set for a very long expedition. From personal experience, Jerik knew that clearing the Menoran Mountains took the better part of two weeks. He could only assume that, due to the current state of affairs, it would take even longer. So the sooner they set out, the better.

“Now remember,” he’d told his platoon, the morning they’d left. “Raids are a different sort of fight from your typical expedition.This will take a long time. You need to have stamina and endurance. Rest will be rare, so stay on your toes, and keep your eyes sharp.”

They’d seemed eager for the raid, and not at all nervous. Their recent successful expeditions and extra training had seen to it that they were confident in their skills. Jerik wanted that to stay the same, but he also knew that confidence could carry the risk of turning into over-confidence, then into foolishness. He had to avoid that last part at all costs. If they messed up bad in the raid zone, they’d lose everything. Everyone would be reset to square one, and have to earn everything back.

“I hope they’re ready for this.”

Jerik gave a start of surprise as he heard Morgan’s voice at his side all of a sudden, and tore his mind away from his deep thoughts. “What?”

She inclined her head to indicate the platoon marching ahead of them. “I hope they’re ready.”

Jerik privately agreed with her sentiment, not to mention her obvious uncertainty. But he also knew that, as their leader, and being within earshot, he couldn’t let his own doubts show. He forced a smile onto his face. “They are.”

The few platoon members that could hear them made quiet noises of agreement, which told him he’d taken the right action. He and Morgan shared a long look of understanding. She knew what he was playing at, and could see right through his facade. They shared a nod, and she rode ahead to join the front of the column. He allowed his own horse to fall back a bit, to give himself some time to think a bit more.

They were riding across the plains between Zenken and the mountains now, so they could afford to have a loose formation. Once they reached the beginning of the mountain range, that would change, and they’d have to walk in a tight line, with no more than two men standing side by side. That would be tricky in terms of defense. Saving the supplies was crucial, for if those were lost, then they had to abandon the attempt. Those supplies would keep them fed, watered, and tend to their gear while they ran through the raids. Then, once the raids were completed, those same wagons would carry the loot they earned back to Zenken.

The plains were a dangerous place in their own right, Jerik thought, sitting upright in his saddle and scanning the horizon to either side. At the moment, Jack was filling the role as scout, scouring the path ahead of them to make sure that no monster dens were in the way, but it never hurt to have extra eyes, and Jerik needed to stick to the pattern. The terrain was virtually the same everywhere he looked, just one long bland stretch of tall grass, which served to ruin his eyes if he concentrated too hard.

He called for a break at mid-day, instructing the platoon to draw the wagons in and rest for a meal. Without him having to say it, several people volunteered to stand guard, and others offered to take the second watch. This way they could remain on guard even while resting. Jerik thanked the first round of volunteers, then walked to the wagons to supervise the rations. Once they all had some food and water, they sat in a loose gaggle around the wagons. Jerik could hear the buzz of general conversation.

“They’re in good spirits,” Nicholas reported, coming over with his small meal and sitting cross-legged beside Jerik. “I just hope it lasts.”

“You sound like Morgan,” Jerik said shortly, taking a bite out of his tough seasoned bread and chewing thoughtfully. “You both make it sound hopeless.”

Nicholas gave a wry grin, then took a bite himself. After a few seconds, he said, “I think Morgan’s just a realist. She doesn’t let herself be taken by false hope.”

“And you?”

“I’m a realist too, he said confidently. “I just know that we’re good. I have faith in them, but I’m human. I still have doubts.”

“Not in yourself though.”

“No,” he said. “That’s just a result of my training, though. I sorted through that already, and I’m ready to do what I can.”

Jerik studied Nicholas intently for a few seconds while he looked out at the rest of the platoon. He was only twenty, but he had an air of maturity around him that spoke to life experience, the kind you couldn’t simulate. For a second, he was tempted to ask him about his life before he’d been summoned to Menora, but decided against it. That sort of thing was considered taboo. The summoned players chose to keep their lives private, and leave the problems of home where they were until their return.

“You seem to like it here in Menora,” he said, the thought occurring to him. “You almost seem like a Menoran yourself, apart from no blue skin.”

Nick let out a laugh at that. “I do like it here. If I could have my way, I’d choose to stay behind once this was all over.”

“If you don’t want to leave, then why are you helping me with my goal?”

“I thought that was obvious,” Nicholas replied at once, looking at him with a small frown. “Kan-Manora needs to be killed.”

“Right,” Jerik said, nodding his head in agreement. “But you don’t have to be an active part of that by joining my platoon. Or you could have stayed an engineer. Why are you on the front-lines with me?”

“I like fighting,” the young man answered with a shrug. “For me, this is kinda like a game. I like games.”

Right. The ability to respawn immediately after death, even if you lost half your points with each death. Actually, Jerik thought, that hardcore feature would probably make the game even more attractive to him. He seemed the type to enjoy a good challenge. It fit his swordsman mentality, at least. He smirked at the thought that Nick was just enjoying himself on a campaign. Not a bad outlook, to be honest. It ensured that he could remain positive in the face of overwhelming odds, at least.

“Well, I’m glad you decided to join me,” He admitted, not surprised to see Nick’s smiling reply. “Thanks for not listening when I said no at first.”

“I knew you’d need my help.” The young man uncrossed his legs and laid down, sprawling in the tall grass. He let out a relaxed sigh. “I’m the best swordsman you’ll meet in this world.”

“The only swordsman,” Jerik shot back with a snort.

Nick’s eyebrows shot up. “I’m nowhere near the only one. I’m not even the best.”

“None of us use swords,” Jerik pointed out. “I’ve been to all three cities, and you’re the first player-”

“I’m not talking about players. I’m talking about the Menorans themselves. There are a ton that use swords, and quite a few who are absolute masters. Sel-Kenna is one of them.”

That piece of information took Jerik by surprise. “The Menorans actually use swords? But they have guns.”

“Some of them prefer Magik,” Nick replied, shrugging again. “Not all of them like the Tek side of things, just like players.”

Something about the way he said it registered particularly strongly to Jerik. “You’ve been in their cities, haven’t you? That’s where you’ve been the past two years. You’ve been living among them.

“Yes. Master Sel-Kenna took me in. She helped me improve my sword skills, and sharpened my mind by teaching me how to tinker with things. I even helped her make Paragon.”

Jerik glanced from the young man to his weapon, and pursed his lips thoughtfully. “I suppose I should thank you then. It’s a fantastic weapon.”

“You’re welcome. We hoped it would prove useful to you. Looks like we were right.”

“Indeed,” Jerik replied, shoving the last of the bread into his mouth. He rose to his feet, intent on taking a walk around the camp to talk to the platoon members. “Relax while you can. We’ll be setting off again in an hour.”

Nick gave him a lazy smile, then closed his eyes. Jerik would have bet that he was asleep within seconds. He shook his head as he laughed inwardly, then began making his rounds. Everyone had what they needed, and nobody was overly tired or anxious. None were suffering from issues that needed immediate attention. On the whole, they continued to be excited. They asked when they’d reach the mountains and begin the first raid.

“It won’t be for a while,” he said. “We’re making good time, so we should reach the base of the path by sundown. We’ll camp outside the mountains for a night then go in.”

Then the real challenge would start, he thought, though he didn’t say it out loud.

 

0