Chapter 15: Favors
409 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He was dressed sharply compared to the lazy unkempt look that he usually had. His hair was slicked back. He wears his suit, vest, and tie more neatly than ever. He also wears leather gloves he was hiding inside his overcoat.

Inside his overcoat are the same guns he usually carries. Pistols and the shotgun that was strapped on the harness he was wearing. Although his visit with Lesnik had changed his thinking about how to view threats a little, it didn’t change the way he arms himself.

Walk softly and carry a lot of guns.

That was how he lived in his past life.

He was walking in the Magnolia District, the Seventh District of the City-state of Saint Lucius. The street he was sauntering about was Henbane street, a lamp in the night where those who gather in the evening are finding bars and places to mingle.

Two places are the most popular. The Casino is owned by the Russians and the place is owned by the Rosaritas who are neutral to the affairs of the city. Many of his colleagues have been talking about the Rosaritas since they deal in magic, hexes, charms, trinkets, and other carnal desires.

They also sold information and favors. That favor was what he was after today after seeing that carnage hours ago. As he was walking in the street, weaving through people, walking shoulder-to-shoulder. Robert was thinking about whether he had any other encounters with the witches in the place he was after.

For fifteen minutes he was in deep thought. After searching his memories he found only one instance where he visited this place. And that was when he was looking for the den of a cultist.

“Did I owe them a favor?”

Robert cursed as he reads the plaque that says “Playfer”. It was a club hidden in the darkness and if one isn’t resistant to illusions they would not even be able to enter the alley where the building was.

Honestly ever meeting Lesnik he had been wary of places that are like this. He was walking forward to the entrance when the bodyguard blocks his path.

“Need to frisk you first, sir.”

Robert took his ghost badge out. The two look at the badge before letting him in without a fuss.

Entering inside Robert instantly felt the change in the air. The red lighting, the lounges with shisha pipes on them. He ambled slowly past the first room and heads up to where the witches were.

Below was the place where the girls are where the girls who are unable to truly embrace the witch’s teachings worked and could only do little of what a Witch would while upstairs was where the witches who were able to wield what one should expect from a Witch.

Sorcery, folk magic, and the brand of magic that these witches practices are some of the things that never faded as hard as the magic they use.

Some may argue that their brand was much more potent because the belief in using charms and love potions had never really faded. The hopeless come to this establishment to find hope. And what these Witches offer, in items, knowledge, and desires were much better than what they can have from a priest.

Robert was ambling into the room when a faint seductive voice calls out to him.

“Well if it isn’t Robert Oswald. Are you here to finally repay the favor that you owe me?”

Robert froze. He looked at the woman swaying her hips, wearing a navy blue and indigo dress that clung to her skin. From how she smiled she might have think that Robert had came here to repay the favor.

“I’m actually here for another favor.”

“I see.”

Her smile lessened. She touched  her hips and looked at Robert from head to toe.

“Hmm, you have changed. I heard that you have done that mission well. Come, it hasn’t been long since you came for another favor. Ah, my birds told me recently that Don Castelo died and you were visiting the scene of the crime with that Interpol Agent.”

Robert sat in the private booth she choose. She leaned forward with her eyes on Robert. She was pressing her arms together, emphasizing her bountiful chest. Giving off this teasing smile.

“That’s right. I think that it’s someone who I’m after.”

“I have heard of it. Your people have loose tongues, Robert. But to think that they would be so violent. Still, if I knew you were a better fighter, I would have made a better deal.”

Robert cringed inside. Lucia Bethany. A talented Witch with raven hair and purple eyes. She was a subordinate to the Rosaritas who had earned her rose that was in the form of an engraved charm that boosted her magical abilities.

Yes, these Witches trade items and information. And some are even willing to trade their body for one hell of a favor that usually the customer couldn’t pay and Lucia specialized in spells, items, and information.

“And since you come here for another favor. I hope that you know that you will pay up for the first favor. You know how it was, Robert Oswald. Pay upon the favor of the Witch and it shall be done.”

When she spoke there was power in it. Her finger was lifted and the smile on her face was rather devilish. Robert intended to make a transaction and since Agent Wilson was digging around. It didn't hurt to try and repay this favor while he was finding a lead.

He folded his arms and leans back. He sighed and looked Lucia in the eyes.

“Okay, what’s the payment?”

“I’m glad you understand, Robert. Yes, I like men who are willing to repay what they owe. If you do repay this favor. I might be willing to even allow you to have my maidenhood.”

“Um, no thanks.”

“Now, now, don’t be shy. I still remember the way you look at my body. So intoxicated like all men do upon looking at the witch.”

“It’s nice to be proud and confident.”

Robert did remember how he fawned over Lucia. Then again Robert was younger than him and had never been in a relationship that didn’t involved having one-night stands and quick hookups. And even though in the past he only really loved one enough to marry her. He wasn’t as useless about it as Robert.

Lucia Bethany dealt in words. The words she say might fluster the client, and may suggest fondness. But a Witch to offer something like that comes with a price. A big one that Robert will not be able to pay.

Lucia sensed that Robert was somewhat different. He could tell that she was reassessing him quickly. She knew when to push his buttons last time, but right now there was a different soul and a dominant personality she was dealing with.

“It’s a joke. Cheer up, I heard you got trapped in a pit of corpses. That must have hardened you. Your luck’s pretty bad. Dealing with a den of cultists, and fighting a lesser demon from hell. That beast was actually of good quality.”

“That demon dog was brought here. Any potions made from it?”

“Viagra and a potion of hardening skin.”

“People still fight in melee?”

“Please. Their skin hardens. EVERYTHING hardens. Do you get it?”

“Oh, it makes sense.”

She folded her arms and lifted her breast. Robert could tell that she does it unconsciously, not intentionally. Women like her who naturally knew their body and have the confidence to show it are charming.

Even Robert can’t help but stare a little. He lifted his eyes up and saw Lucia grinning at him.

“So about the favor.”

“Yes, the favor.”

She teased. Robert hardened his expression. Leaving only this blank face that says he’s ready to do actual business. Lucia got the hint and started talking about the favor.

“There was a man called Danton. Danton was a mage, a mage that was not related to any organization. He was a wild sorcerer with a father who was a mage who signed the Nonmagi and Magi Pact.”

She raised her hand and took the wine that the waitress brought to her. She placed the bottle of wine and pour it into the glass. Lucia offered him a glass, but Robert  didn't want it. She raised a brow.

“Not fond of wine any more?”

“I prefer booze these days.”

“Ah, cheap, anyway. I was saying that this man called Danton owes us for making him a precious wand. A crystal processed for forty days, the branch of a forty-five years old oak tree, and the leather of a dying elk.”

“That was quite the ingredient.”

“It might not be much, but it was still a precious wand that can be used as a medium. The problem was that Danton had not paid what he owes the Rosaritas. He promises to hunt a creature for us.”

“And where was Danton?”

“Hiding in his house near the tenth district.”

“Did something happen?”

“Maybe. But I don’t like it when people cheat us, Robert. He hasn’t paid what he owed me and I want that wand back. Can you do it? It’s a retrieval.”

“Couldn’t you just ask one of yours to do it?”

“Do you have a problem with retrieving it? Of course, I can ask another way to let you pay the favor back.”

“No, I’m not that demanding. Let’s go with this.”

The way she spoke made Robert guess that she was doing this to get the item back. Since Robert was here to ask a favor. The next favor was going to be harder to pay. But Robert didn’t voice that complaint. If anything he felt like there was something she wasn't saying to him.

“I know that you are understanding. It’s an easy job. And with this, you can finish that favor and I will be able to give you the favor about your problem.”

Robert tapped his finger on the table. His unwavering eyes met with Lucia.

“Oh my, your stare was so much. I know you desired me, but to think that you’d be so bold.”

She laughed. Robert didn’t. Her smile stilled.

“Then I will retrieve the wand for you. Tell me about Danton. What spells does he know? Anything that might help me.”

“There isn’t much to worry about. He’s a Mage but he shouldn’t be a problem.”

“I don’t like going in without information. Considering that I got into trouble because I didn’t know anything.”

Lucia smiled and searched her bag. She took out a dossier that detailed Danton Montenegro's information.

Danton Montenegro, mage family, last of the bloodline. Owes money to the bank of Saint Lucius with 25% interest. Lately had been investigating creatures but after an unknown encounter. The Mage named Danton lost his will.

“Something went wrong with him.”

“I assume much. I have already extended his favor, but from the looks of it there was something that shocked him into being a recluse.”

Robert looked at the paper again. There wasn’t much to go on with other than something that Danton Montenegro was afraid of. But with the deal going past the month that she asked for.

The wand needed to be collected. There was also a full list of spells and what trinket he was wearing that protected him.

Robert spent time in the booth with Lucia, studying  the information until he finds found quietness jarring.

“You are much more diligent than before. This new you was quite better. I guess change really does come to a man who suffers.”

“Is it?”

Then again she doesn’t know who was inside. If she does then he was going to be mighty impress. Anything was possible and there were a lot of people who have strange abilities.

But he’s just two people being mixed together. Both essences compliments each other and was now one. He was just glad that he was getting used to being Robert Oswald. Though he doubts that he could get used to the magical side of the world he was living in.

A man trying his best to study a person who owes a debt so he could get a favor from the witch who had the information network to find the guy that had been supplying organs and fresh blood to a group of cultists who were far better equipped and militaristic than what he knows of them in the other life.

Taking his weapons out, and giving them a check first. Robert left the building owned by the witches and traveled near the tenth district where Danton Montenegro was living.

12