Chapter 27: The Conjurer
332 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Nonmagi Pact was an iron code for those who live on this side of the world. It was a pact that was made with the promise that those who were in their world are not to interfere with the world of the normal.

It’s the code that was older than any written commandment. It was the code that kept the magic separate from the normal.

But that iron code has been repeatedly broken lately.

Ritual sacrifice of humans.

Half Breeds operating in the normal world.

And even the concoction of Bathory’s wine made it clear that this was no longer something that they could ignore.

The recent attention that had come.

All the chaos that they’ve caused has now made the higher-ups notice. W

With the Pact broken every Enforcer was given notice.

Every Agent was now on the move.

All participants who have violated the iron code of the Pact are now being hunted by the Agents and even cooperating with the Americans who are acting against the crime syndicate.

It was a bloodbath that Robert came to know after being informed by Juliana. Robert hasn't been outside because of his recent projects and training. He does enter the headquarters once in a while to make a report and do paperwork but most of the time was spent on crafting gadgets and a bracer he was now wearing on his left arm.

He had not been contacted by CASE so he took the time to be a recluse and make his own gadget. A multi-tool that was fitted on his left forearm. A handheld radar gun that was converted to fit a modified high-power diode laser array that could emit up to 10000mW. If he wanted the laser to last, he’d have to keep it over 200-500mW. The problem with using the maximum output was to basically melt the container and exhaust the battery.

Not to mention the graphene coils he had made were only a few. He had to settle for them unless he wanted a functioning tech. The multi-tool on his left forearm allowed him to use it to infiltrate and crack systems. It was basically injecting their system with a virus that’s done through a wire and making sure that he could have access to it. It was very inferior to what he had, but it was superior here because of the technology. It was nothing more than tricks, and even he couldn’t recreate the gadgets he knew.

He was able to make them in the field. But the materials here were still inferior compared to what he knew. He’d need at least twenty years before he could replicate the rest of what he knew.

It was enough to at least have some of the items that he was fond of using. It made him feel a bit safe. Not to mention he had spent the rest of his free time mastering his body. He had to take a break from watching documentaries or a cartoon of a rat chasing a cat. He had to make sure that not all of his skills were lost from his death.

Simone visited Robert while he was training. He was shadow fighting, mixing boxing, muay boran, krav maga, and keysi. He was also familiarizing himself with the fighting style that Robert knew. Sambo and Jiu Jitsu. He had spent time boxing in the military and had experience in wrestling as well, but wasn’t as good as Robert who knew Sambo and Jiu Jitsu. So that was six martial arts that he had used only on brawls. Most of the time he was focused on shooting better and faster. Using fist or bladed weapons was only for times when it was desperate.

Simone barely avoided a straight punch from him. He ducked under and tried to give Robert a right hook when Robert parried it with his forearm, and then used the force Simone was making against him, twisting him on the ground.

“This is unfair.”

Robert pulled him up.

“You were the one asking for a spar.”

“But I didn’t ask for a beating.”

“I didn’t give you one.”

Robert stretched his limbs. His muscles were defined and compressed. Tightly packed together in creating this aesthetic body. He was at peak physical condition with the strength of two humans in peak physical condition. It was nothing to those who are enhanced magically or artificially, but it was still something.

“Damn you got quite the muscles. What’s your routine?”

“It’s natural.”

Robert knew that this was because of his soul being merged with the previous owner that dominated the personality.

After sparring he went to the shooting range with Simone and spent hours firing on targets. He had been familiarizing himself with using his senses all at once. Once he abandoned all colors he could see. He was able to slow his perception of time. But overusing it was the same as forgetting to breathe. He’d exhausted all air on his brain and two days ago had almost had a coma for overusing it.

He had to use it only when he truly needed it. The rest of his training was about the spells and the binding and sealing he knew. Simone could conjure familiars and even create a golem so he had him summoned to practice his sealing and binding.

Robert came to realize that he had a fondness for using the binding ropes as a lasso or a grappler. It was sturdy as he wanted to and could even be used as a rope for him to use.

Sealing was enough to send back monsters and summons. As for the elemental spells, he could use them five times a day. It was still something he had decided to only use when needed to be.

After spending time crafting what he needed and training himself back to being combat-ready. Robert realized how rusty he was. How he was still unfamiliar with his body.

He had to familiarize himself and make sure that he could finally adjust. He had been careless and the recent events had made him realize how he needed to be ready again.

It actually felt now that he had made this body his own. He guessed that being shot in the gut was the warning he needed. He couldn’t allow himself to be that sloppy again. He couldn’t afford it any longer.

After finishing his training he was called to by Juliana. She told him that the Lieutenant was looking for him. The Lieutenant was waiting for him with a rough disposition. He was a man who did not sleep clearly.

“Enforcer Oswald. I’m taking you off the case in regards to the OTS for now.”

“May I ask why, Sir?”

“You may have heard that the Nonmagi Pact has been broken. What that means is that magic families are now out for blood. But it’s worse than that, Enforcer. This is a justification for them to go out and cause chaos. Do you understand this?”

“I do, Sir.”

Sir Clarke adjusted himself on the seat. He had a rough look on his face. A look that said that he wasn’t having a good day. He was trying to make sense of what was happening while trying to inform Robert of what he wanted.

“You’ve done good in your participation. Nonetheless, it was simply a case that is larger in scale. We do not take kindly to those who violate the laws set on this side of the world. But we also assist in making sure that both sides of the world have harmony. And now we have pressing matters other than the OTS and your targets. Of course, it would be a shame to take you away from investigating since Wilson had been okay with your participation, but we need you to work with an associate of yours that belongs to one of the magical families.”

A woman with a gloomy disposition and long unkempt hair entered. She had a look that was devoid of anything other than frustration. She had natural whitish hair that was as long as her waist.

Half her face was covered in her bangs. She was like the world had abandoned her. She widened her eyes a bit looking at Robert. Then she looked down as if scolding herself for some reason.

“Gia Silva. She’s part of the Silva family. She’s the fourth daughter and has reached the rank of Conjurer. She will be working with you for now.”

That reminds me, Sir. What happened to Scaletta?”

“She’s currently occupied. Miss Scaletta is a brilliant detective and she has her own tasks to complete.”

“It’s okay… I don’t mind not being picked.”

Her voice was sweet to hear and yet there was a somber tone to it. He wondered if this was her personality or if she was suffering from depression. Robert kept his inquiry to himself.

“No, it’s nice to meet you, Miss Silva. I hope that we work well together.”

“I hope so too.”

“You’ll be acting as Miss Silva’s bodyguard at the moment. She’s under threat from the Magic Families and she’d need someone to escort her.”

Gia Silva raised a hand.

“Not to be rude to Oswald, but I need to do this first.”

She made a sign with her hand and threw it at him. He felt enough force to recoil back. His mind raged and churned. He felt something knocking on his head. Breathing in and then out. He found this sensation inferior to what he felt in the presence of Lesnik or hearing Marba’s words. It didn’t take long for him to shrug it off.

“Six seconds. Is that acceptable?”

Robert blinked, a face asking for an explanation.

“It’s a spell of disorientation. Seeing that you have resisted it well. It seems that your misfortunes have turned into a fortune. Miss Silva here would need to cast a few spells to test you. Would you mind?”

Robert steadied himself as Gia Silva casts spells. She casts a spell of confusion and even illusion. It didn’t last long enough for him to feel them. As for the illusion he simply used all of his senses to dispel them.

He did feel nausea, but it wasn't an issue. Robert kept on enduring until she had finished all of her spells. She looked at him strangely. It’s like she’s examining his face while doing the spells.

“That will do. You have quite the resistance to such spells. I assume that this will not be a problem, Miss Silva?”

“Yes, it will not.”

Robert folded his arms without a word. The Lieutenant saw this and realized that perhaps it was the chance for him to explain. It was a bodyguard work with Robert acting as CASE’s ear while protecting Miss Silva from anything else. 

Miss Silva argued her case.

“I can protect myself. But it seemed that this time I cannot move without the eyes of CASE in this one. We are facing a dilemma and we believe that the Families are trying to take care of the problem itself. And not every family had signed the Nonmagi Pact.”

Robert had to ask.

“So are we suspecting that these families who didn’t sign the pact to be one the sponsoring the OTS? Or Guzman and Ferric?”

The Lieutenant placed a photograph of a runic symbol written in a circle.

“This spell is only used by the Hatt family. A family that has recently acquired four gold mines and a deal from weapons manufacturers who are willing to equip their private army. The Hatt Family is an old family. And their connections run deep. So what we hope right now is that they aren’t involved. Because once we do. There is a chance the Families allied to CASE will not hold back on punishing the Hatt. And the Hatt has a lot of magicians on their side.”

“Sounds like a big problem.”

“It is a problem. Hence why you will be accompanying Miss Gia Silva here until the problems with her family are settled. She’s an asset that must be protected and I have decided that you have enough ability to take care of this. As for the details you can ask Miss Silva on your way to her villa.”

With that, he followed Silva to her car. Robert offered to drive for her as he then took her back to her villa.

“So, would it be okay to hear what’s happening?”

“There’s an artifact that they believe has been found. Now every Magi Family is after it. As for the threats to my life, my family has recently met with a powerful organization operating here in Europe and they want to pay us back..”

“So your family is in trouble while the Magi Families are making a ruckus?”

“Yes.”

Robert groaned at the idea of protecting a magician hunted by an organization while the Magi Families were making trouble.

11