Chapter 32: The Normal Affairs 2
312 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Paul reported the events that transpired while Robert checked on the documents that had piled up on his office table. Next to his office was Scaletta’s office that has been empty for weeks.

He checked the documents, filed them, and then handled the rest while waiting for Paul to confirm that it was all good. Paul walked in lazily while scratching his head.

“Got them filed. Are you going to stay here? I’m starving so I'm out.”

Paul left the office leaving Robert typing alone on his desk. He spent a good hour doing paperwork before leaving. As he was about to exit a voice called him out. Robert’s face lightened and one could tell that he was glad to see the face.

“Gia. Doing well?”

“I am, surprisingly. The facilities of CASE and your research has been fascinating to me.”

Gia Silva was still an associate of CASE. Her knowledge in the arcane arts meant that despite losing a lot of her wealth. Meaning that she’s still a valuable asset. Robert had no reason to stop contacting her either and she was fine with leaving her number to her.

“You are doing well, Gia.”

“I’m fine, Robert. Thank you, it does help that I have something to focus on. You have been busy yourself.”

Robert and she continued walking down the hallway of the headquarters. With fewer people around the hallway, they were able to proceed without much hassle.

“You have become rougher.”

“Excuse me?”

Robert asked. Gia rubbed her chin as she explained.

“You look less stiff. As if all the politeness has been gone.”

She said as if she was sure of that. Her expression told Robert that even she could tell that something was changing in Robert. Robert knew that he really was changed.

Robert pretended to be surprised. Gia shook her head, clearly telling that it wasn’t going to work.

Her face said it all. Everyone was telling him that he was acting differently. Robert guessed that it was just his physique changing or the way he spoke them roughly. If anything it was because Robert had few words to say that he became like this.

His excuse was the accident in the sewers changed him. Not that he’d tell them that a soul was merged. He wasn’t looking for an exorcism from anyone.

Gia checked on her bag. Robert opened the door for her and both were met by the heat of the concrete bouncing off him. The base was air-conditioned while the outside was not. Robert unconsciously pocketed his hands and then made a movement with his head.

Gia followed his lead and headed inside a cafe. It was not far from the base and was one of the many places that they go after work. They also serve meals but most of their menu was of coffee and pastry.

Most of the customers were in the cafe enjoying the air conditioning. The two entered. Ordered a meal for themselves and took it outside where they started taking a break.

Their talk was mostly about her interest. He didn’t comment about her gloomy demeanor. Her face was always in-between normal and gloomy. She’s strong enough to keep it all bottled in. This happened because she wasn’t that close to the Enforcers. Robert wasn’t sent off somewhere so most of the time he’s around to chat.

“So how’s your research?”

“Still ongoing. No progress as usual.”

She’s trying to rip a fabric of space and then tunnel. Something she was desperate to make for some reason. He had gotten to know her for quite a time now and yet that secret remains something they don’t talk about too much.

“I heard that Guzman didn’t talk.”

“Everyone seems to have heard that.”

Her face told him that everyone did know. They seem to expect that Robert would be so hung up on being updated. He does stay updated and waits for Wilson’s call for information.

“You're on the other side now. You and Paul are getting involved with the Syndicates?”

The Syndicates were the people who have been operating within the non-magic world that have started making their moves again in this city. With how the Magi Families brought down the hammer on the previous families.

The Syndicates who were lurking, waiting, and hoping patiently made use of this time to attack the rest of their competitors. Creating a foothold again in the city within a few weeks of absence from the people who were holding the rackets of the city. After they made their mode these people got the guts to stealthily take their place again while remaining ignorant and paying a silent tribute to the ones who took the city.

Saint Lucius City was an important location with one of the biggest ports in the mediterranean sea. The goods that come in and go make it a prosperous place where every criminal wants to take a slice.

With the previous mob dead after being wiped out. They came in like a wave and started making use of the criminals Robert had an idea of what they were, but most of the time he remained uninvolved with them unless they started taking items that they could use.

Paul and he have been going after these items that they acquire thinking they were valuable artifacts that could be sold to the highest bidder.

“We are getting involved in some of their affairs,” Robert answered. “But we usually make sure that they don’t notice our presence. They know who’s the top here.”

It was one of the things that these criminals understood. Someone was operating behind the scenes. Making sure that they don’t take it too far. Demanding that they stick to what they were good at.

“You two took down three already, right?”

“So far. We intend to gather more tomorrow. Make sure that they don’t get the idea of establishing more. They’ll think of it as a warning to whatever thoughts they have.”

Gia thought it over and then went back to her coffee.

“You walk two roads at once.”

“It might become the only road that I’ll walk soon.”

She flinched. Her jaws tightened at the thought of it.

“The millennium bug scares you. But to me, it feels nothing. Like we’re simply being rid of the supernatural.”

“The supernatural will not disappear,” she corrected. “It will only lessen. Most of us will only be able to activate it within certain conditions.”

“So extra steps are needed. Like a medium?”

“Charms and trinkets will be important. They will be more potent in the future. Like gas to an engine. Without it, practitioners of the arcane arts will have to make do with achieving certain conditions through mediums.”

Robert’s brow raised. “Let me guess. The Magi Families are using this chance to gather mediums?”

“Focus point. Think of the body as a tank. Then the medium as the hose or faucet allows this energy we process into a spell. Each body differs.”

Her voice remained bland as she explained. Robert carefully pondered the question. Seeing Robert’s ears perked. Gia continued calmly.

“And the quality of the energy also differs. Hmm, there’s a difference in the container of the one holding the magic. The cleaner the energy is. The faster the flow of magic.”

“You’re in the fifth rank?” he asked.

“That’s right. The conjurer rank is one step away from being fully-fledged.”

“The rank beyond six is where the Agents are?”

“Yes. It’s a big gap. If I’m able to reach that level within a few years. It will be a blessing,” she said.

“You sound like you’re not convinced that you can,” he asked calmly.

“It takes years of practice to reach that rank when the magic’s still so rampant. It will be harder in my case,” she said.

Her face hardened. There it was again. This gloomy and desperate face of hers wanted to reach an unattainable goal.

“This must be really important to you.”

“It is, Robert,” she said firmly. 

Without a doubt in her voice at all. Robert leaned back and admired her determination. Then he smiled and leaned forward.

“I really hope that you succeed. I’m cheering for you.”

She raised a brown and a tiny smile. “I appreciate it. Your company has been good to me.”

“Please, you’re making me blush.”

“I tell what I want to say,” she smiled thinly.

Her attention went to the concrete road. Then to the sky as if she was expecting something to happen. The clouds started to gather. Giving a shade to Newman Street. She picked up one of the pastries and took a bite out of it. Then she leaned on the handrest and then opened her mouth.

“You remind me of someone.”

“You do?”

“Yes. He was someone who I really adore.”

“Is he the person you are doing this for?”

“That’s right. He might not know me if I appear before him. But I’ll try my best to make him know.”

“Amnesia?”

“Yes. And in a way, he’s in an unreachable place.”

“Can’t believe you’re telling me now.”

She gave a mysterious smile. “I wanted to. It’s rare for me to have friends. Maybe I’m not used to all of this.”

“Been stuck indoors for too long?”

Gia shrugged. She leaned forward and then twirled her coffee before emptying it.

“I have to go now,” she stood up.

Robert gave her a silent salute. After getting out of Robert’s sight. He leaned back and stared at the sky for a moment before groaning. He went to where he parked the rented car and drove it back to the parking lot near the living alley.

After a short walk, he got into the building where his apartment was. He got in, locked the door, and headed inside his bedroom where most of his gear was stashed.

He turned on his computer. Then checked the model he made before continuing to attach the last thing he got from the Craftmasters of the Base. There were craftsmen in the base that were curious why he needed such small canisters. It was simply something that he’d wear around his left forearm that could be launched. He had made the system from scratch. It was quite inferior to what he had since this one didn’t have an accurate firing system. Not to mention he had to feed the contraption with an air canister. It was effective within twenty feet and could fire the beads of flash and smoke and the other function was this thin steel wire that propels him forward, strong enough to carry about only 300lbs.

Robert fed it an empty bead first and fired one on the wall. The bead bounced around before it hit the headboard of his bed. Changing the function by pressing a button just blew the palm using his ring finger, he aimed at the ceiling and then fired it.

His body got picked up by the force and he twisted his body and landed his feet on the ceiling, hanging upside down. He clicked on the switch of the forearm and slowly reeled himself down.

Pressing thrice on the button. The steel retracted back to his bracer and made a clicking sound. He had to thank the craftmaster who made the parts without asking why.

He did empty out his wallet after purchasing all of them from Danan who had them. The rest of the materials he had melted from what he purchased.

It was inferior but it was better than having nothing at all. With the bracer finished he filled it with flash smoke beads and then clicked the safety on.

“The rest will come later,” Robert said.

As technology improves the better the materials he will get. Still, most of them were life-saving measures. Even in the far future. Guns and explosives were still kings. It didn’t matter if you have a metalhead or a reinforced body when an armor-piercing round with explosive rounds could just burst it open.

He wasn’t going to settle down.

If there were demons in this world and men who were monsters. Robert thinks it’s just right to carry weapons and arms that could at least make it even.

If Tech were their bane then he’d make them fear what he had brought from a future where the skies burned regularly and living things melted under it.

10