Chapter 34: The Lionheart Family 2
383 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The silent tension between Sir Gregory Hawke and Sir Kingston Lionheart made those who were watching from behind tremble. Robert, who was standing behind Hawke, stood in the parade's rest.

Staring him down was the woman named Leona Lionheart. Her amber eyes pointed sharply at the Enforcer.

Both parties were waiting for the torturer to arrive. A knock broke the silence and the man in white cloth arrived holding an audio recorder. He played it on the table.

“I was told to kill him! I don’t know who it was! All I know is that Rubio Ferric wanted this one dead!”

The rest of the recording was chatter. Information that didn’t matter to the Lionheart Family. Sir Gregory Hawke joined his fingers. He was speaking blandly.

“It seems that someone had the guts to attack the youngest.”

“My son Benedict is dead, Hawke. He was an aspirant with the possibility of reaching the Magician rank within the last years of this millennium. And now someone, disgusting filth, killed my son. MY SON, Hawke. I’m starting to wonder if your Enforcers have been sloppy.”

Sir Kingston Lionheart glared at Robert Oswald. Robert Oswald’s face remained unfazed by this lion’s glare.

“I see no runes carved in this boy. His breath doesn’t stink off the witch’s potions. His eyes have no taint in him. You know him as well. Is he going to be an Agent?”

“No. Robert Oswald here is nothing more than an Enforcer.”

“Enforcer? He has the all-sense.”

“He seems to have gotten it after Lesnik’s touch.”

“And if he didn’t have the mastery and the steel. He wouldn’t have been able to use it. My daughter says that he punches like two men in their peak physical form.”

“Robert Oswald here is one of the Enforcers who have sufficient martial abilities. He’s also here about the materials he was supposed to deliver.”

Robert presented the courier bag to the Patriarch of the Lionheart Family.

“He took out five of my knights and knocked my daughter out.”

“I'm sure he is sorry.”

“I apologize for rudeness.”

“You won. And my knights lost to you in close combat. You have the skill, boy. If you had used your gun they would have died.”

His eyes were examining Robert from head to toe. Robert slightly raised a brow at the inquisitive look that the Patriarch of this family had.

“Enforcer Oswald was in charge of the investigation of Rubio Ferric. He had been able to find clues and had unearthed one of Ferric’s underground bunkers with the help of our foreign friends.”

“And he has not been found yet despite all the families moving. These Magi Families have decided to use this to their advantage instead of taking care of FILTH. And now my son is dead. This Rubio Ferric’s background is not simple.”

“That we know now,” Hawke said.

The information that Gregory Hawke got was even worse. Rubio Ferric was not only cooperating with the Order of the Solar Temple. His sources said that he’s also part of the Sin-Eaters.

Men ate part of the corpse to consume their sins. They were cannibals who had recently risen among the cult. Their priests were aberrations who had recently thrived in the operations in Africa and in the Balkan Regions.

And their main business was the transport of humans all over the world. In 1995 alone, they abducted over four hundred thousand people alone and turned them into products.

They were soulless beings that profited from the misery of people. Rubio Ferric was part of the Sin-Eaters and through this has been supplying aristocratic families with blood and human flesh.

Knowing this the face of the people inside went cold. Sir Kingston and Sir Gregory were no exception as righteous fury burned their eyes.

“Why are they doing this? What is the purpose of killing my son for this work?”

“I believe that this is a warning. You are one of the sponsors of CASE and I believe that the other families were killed as well.”

“In our own homes… they entered MY HOME and got away with killing my son.”

“A sleeper agent. I believe it would be best if we check everyone if they have the mark of the sin-eaters.”

The attacker that came to kill the Lionheart’s son was said to have been recruited into the family ten years ago. This means that there might be people who were integrated into other families and have been turned into followers of the cult. They were reckless enough to do this. This time they weren’t trying to hide that they did it.

“This millennium bug has caused all of you to be so hasty and arrogant. Bah, magic is nothing to the strength of the body and the discipline of the will. I shall make a toast to the day that magic disperses!”

Sir Hawke didn’t comment and instead locked his fingers together. His speech was casual.

“We will have to take care of the Sin-Eaters before the magic disperses, Kingston.”

“Do you think that I will let them go after this? They have forgotten the reason why they lurk in the dark! They have forgotten that the moment they planted a bolt on my ancestor’s chest! I will have them brought down.”

“Father! Let me join your crusade!”

Sir Kingston glared at Leona.

“You lost to a man who had no runes carved in his bones. Your men failed to subdue him even with the advantage of surprise. If you cannot win against the Enforcer, then this crusade is not for you.”

The Patriarch of the Lionheart stood up. His towering body faced his daughter who was around six feet tall.

“You will stay in this city. Your sword shall protect our domain. I shall bring your brother and our family to war with the Sin-Eaters! Will CASE allow this?”

“I have no problems. We will appreciate this.”

“I see that you are hasty as well, old friend.”

“The time has passed and with only two years left. I cannot leave this matter alone. The cult must perish. The sin eaters must die alongside this era.”

“For once we can agree on something, Gregory.”

An understanding was formed between the two sides. 

 

*  *  * 

 

Robert was about to leave their house when his way was blocked by the second child of the Lionheart house. Without her mask, you can clearly see her amber eyes and her bewitching face.

She was emitting pheromones that made Robert twitch. The sheer aura of this woman facing him was like the animal urges in his head telling him to mate with this human. She was so desirable but it wasn’t enough to make him act like a fool.

If Robert was the one standing here and not Kato. He was sure that he’d try to bow his head and beg for the daughter to take him as a servant. If anything, how did the Knights endure it? Was it the mask?

“May I help you, Miss Lionheart?”

“You’ve shamed me in front of my father!”

“I apologize,” Robert bowed his head. “It was not my intention to do so.”

“And you even dared to hurt me!”

Robert was about to apologize again when Leona patted his shoulder repeatedly.

“That’s right! A man should be like that! You have no qualms hitting women like these other men!  I admire you for that.”

Robert tilted his head.

“I don’t understand.”

“Do you think that I’m so petty to be angry at you for my own incompetence? I have a lion’s heart! This is nothing more than an obstacle to me. I have grown strong but I have failed to anticipate my threat!”

“I see…”

She was rather joyous if anything her tomboyish optimism made Robert rather wary.

“How did you train yourself?”

“The usual?”

“Strength training? Or is it your own way?”

She began patting Robert’s body. Surprised to find the steely texture of his body and that despite his slender appearance he was unlike her father. His muscles were like steel. No wonder he first felt like it was punching one. Not to mention that his movements were practiced and capable.

“My own way.”

“Hmm, I heard that you have met trouble with one of the assassins sent by the cult?”

“I was rusty. Not anymore.”

Robert was even gladder that he got used to this body. If not then he would have his ass kicked and thrown into the Lionheart’s dungeon.

“Astonishing. Your eyes, will you show me?”

Robert used all of his senses at once.

“It really is the all-sense. Even Lesnik’s touch shouldn’t be able to do this. You must have quite the talent, Enforcer Oswald.”

“Maybe.”

He had two lives.

One life had him constantly fighting.

He was not the best mercenary either, seeing that he died before thirty.

But he had enough experience fighting augmented humans and exoskeleton-equipped soldiers who he had barely escaped with the skin of his teeth.

If two lives couldn’t allow him at least this.

Then even Robert would have been disappointed in himself.

A sense of melancholy covered him. And yet he knew that all of this wouldn’t even be possible had he not merged with Robert’s soul.

“Are you alright?”

Robert was lost in his own world for a moment. He shook his head and continued walking out.

“I wish to be friends with you, Oswald.”

“It would be my pleasure, Miss.”

“Call me Leona from now on. I detest such formal calling. I admire that you don’t hold back even when it comes to women!”

“I believe that equal rights mean equal left, miss.”

“Leona. And what does that mean?”

“That since you wished to be equal then my left will equally punch your right as well.”

She was rather slow to get it but then she laughed heartily. Robert found that his initial impression of her was quite different. But considering how she seemed to have been born into a family with such masculine beliefs, then it would be strange if she wasn’t.

“I will put your words in my mind, friend. You’ve shown me well today. I am pleased!”

She offered her hand. Robert shook her hand and then felt his heart tremble at her touch. Even the Witch in Henbane Street didn’t provoke such a reaction to him.

Then it came to Robert that his predecessor liked tough and beautiful women. He was even in a relationship with Sofia who was like a mad beast.

Fortunately, he was able to resist. He was so glad that he was able to resist the temptation. He looked at her. Found her pleasantly smiling at his no reaction.

Grinning like a child who played a prank on something.

“How do they resist you?”

“They usually don’t. Are you resisting, friend?”

“Hmm, kinda, but I have no interest.”

His body said yes, but his heart and soul were still unable to let go of a previous affair from another life. Seeing the sincerity in Robert’s voice. She looked even more pleased and shook his hand greatly.

“Hmm, it’s good. I have been blessed today. I will take what I have experienced today and make use of it. Farewell, let’s see each other, friend!”

Before the lioness of the Lionheart left. Robert scrolled at his phonebook and thought to himself how he had met a lot of people lately.

He entered the car they allowed him to ride and looked at the home of the Lionheart Family. First, it was the Solar Temple, then it was Guzman and Ferric, and finally, a new name came. The Lionheart will go to war with these cultists and bring forth a hidden crusade to eliminate the Sin-Eaters.

He was out of his league and although he was confident because of his recent mastery. The ways of the occult and the secrets that they have made him wary.

“My back still hurts.”

Although he was able to endure it. That concussive blast bruised his back and made him feel like he’d need to go to the Doctor.

10