Chapter 44: The Animals At The Top
222 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Robert drove to the epicenter of the bombing. He stared down the people who were splattered on the ground. It wasn’t the shockwave or the bomb itself that was dangerous.

The glass, shards of concrete, and objects were flung hard and fast enough to tear through flesh.

Robert looked around. He used all of his senses at once and saw people inside the building trapped under rubble. Without thinking. Robert started running to the center of the blast to help the people below.

He took his ghost badge out and screamed loud.

“Please evacuate and stay away from the buildings. Evacuate now—”

Another explosion happened. This time Robert could smell the gas and before he could get his footing back. It was followed by another explosion that rocked the entire area.

The smoke and dust covered the area. The visibility of the area was close to zero and if it wasn’t his all-sense. He’d be walking blind. His phone rang. Wilson called.

“Where the fuck are you?”

“Out here! I need to do something at least.”

“What can you do?”

“At least stop the explosion from happening.”

Robert tapped the button on his bracer and fired it on the building. His body being thrown forward. His well-practiced movement as he climbed the ruined building. He knew how to climb structures. His hands and legs were born to climb to megastructures and urban exploration was part of their training regime when he was still serving.

With his grappler supporting his weight he prepared a wind spell to cut the flames, slicing through the wind, and then use the gust to extinguish the flames.

Four slots left he fired the ball of water on the flames before turning his eyes to the direction where there were people trapped in rubble. He sliced through the rubble while making sure that those people would have a way to exit without being buried.

The people's eyes meet with Robert who had hidden his face with a bandana. He directed them to the staircases.

“Go down carefully. Don’t take the elevator. Don’t push people and keep calm.”

“W-what about you, sir?”

Robert didn’t answer as he used his grappler again to arrive at where the center of the blast was. It smelled ash and with his all-sense he caught sight of the device that was rigged to explode. Pieces of it were glowing to him in this colorless world.

Still burning hot he grabbed one with his gloves and stored them inside his bag. What was the purpose of this? A bomb, did Yaga’s people do this? Or was there anything else?

What was the use of all of this?

Robert stared at one of the casualties.

A little boy who got involved in this tragedy

No matter what world.

No matter what body.

There was one thing that made him angry.

I can’t stand to see children suffering like this.

They are supposed to be the future.

And that they’ll be the one who will pull us out of our sadness.

A woman who believed in a better world.

A woman who loved the potential of children.

Robert, no, this time, Kato wanted to act. The ego that stood on the back of his head roared. The ill-tempered passenger couldn’t let it go. It was something he couldn’t let go.

 

***

 

Wilson saw the look on Oswald’s face.

The look that told him that he was pissed.

The rescue crew had arrived with fire engines and equipment.

“You think it was Yaga?”

“Doubt it.”

Wilson said with certainty. Enforcer Oswald nodded his head quietly and drove his car back to the headquarters. Oswald entered while accompanied by Wilson who was familiar with the interior of the headquarters.

They arrived at the reception before the office of the Lieutenant. Miss Juliana had a face that said that she wanted to comment on something then saw the look on Enforcer Oswald’s face.

“Calm down.”

“I am calm.”

“You are. But I still want you to calm down, Enforcer. This tragedy isn’t something that we have to lose our heads to.”

Enforcer Oswald nodded quietly. His face was colder than usual. His professional demeanor acts like a mask covering rage. He had been chatting and meeting up with Enforcer Oswald and if there was one thing that irks this Enforcer was the sight of a child.

He was soft towards children and he recalled seeing the same face they discovered the container full of emaciated kids.

They were called in. The lieutenant of CASE was informed of the situation. Robert insisted on following the investigation. After a few briefings the situation was assigned to the Enforcer. Wilson followed him out of the building.

“Really pisses you off when you see kids being hurt, huh.”

“They are the future. Kids shouldn't suffer for things like this. A pointless waste of life.”

“I’m not going to work with you this time.”

Wilson had no choice. With the bombing he had to report to his superiors and start tracking down as well. As much as he liked to help, there was nothing he could do to help out.

Enforcer Oswald’s usual partner wasn’t around either. Enforcer Paul was told to take care of the events in Rome while Oswald here was told to stay in this city.

Wilson could hear the radio reporting the explosion.

“Good luck.”

Robert Oswald didn’t reply. He balled his fist and went back to his car. Wilson stared at the plate of the car before checking his phone out. And as expected, he was called back by his superiors to explain the situation.

“This city's a mess,” Wilson said sincerely. It was a city where you can find so much trouble in every corner. It was a place where the supernatural resides. He didn’t like the city. And although he’d like to help. Being called out by his superior meant that he had the excuse to leave this city and let Enforcer Oswald take care of this problem.

 

***

 

Robert drove to Danan.

The supplier was watching the television as they televised the bomb.

Robert knocked his fist on the counter. He placed a list of materials on the table and crossed his arms. Danan blew his nose, picked the list and squinted. He whistled.

“Out for war, friend? Payment?”

Robert took an IOU with the stamp of the Lieutenant on it. Danan took the IOU, compared to the stamp and then threw it on the side. He slid his chair on his computer, typed in the items that Robert requested.

“So going to hunt these bastards? Heard a lot that the Lupus Fam’s sponsoring this.”

Robert placed a fragment of the bomb. Danan checked the fragment and then took the rest, his eyes on anything that might indicate where the bomb was coming from.

“Familiar with this,” Danan said. “Used a lot in the eastern sphere. Sounds like a Victor Bout special”

“Merchant of death funding it?”

“No, don’t think he is. His wares are spread and most of the time he claims no responsibility for this. But my guess is that someone from the Bolshevik Party had an idea of scaring their competitors.”

Robert leaned forward. Danan leaned back. His eyes staring down the cold in his customer.

“You think it was those Russians in Henbane?”

“Don’t think so. Then again, Sidorov’s goons have always been the kind to react violently and if I’m right then don’t like Yaga’s boys looking at their Casino. One thing you need to know is that Lupus Fam ain’t that hot in this city. They are puppies and their announcement is like a joke to these people.”

Robert squeezed his brows.

“You think they did it?”

“Ware checks out. Hmm, and if I remember correctly that building that exploded was Lupu Family property.”

Robert growled quietly. His hands on his waist before rubbing his temple.

“They ain’t afraid to make a noise. Hmm, from the looks of it, you got fire in your veins, but the thing is that you got to know who the enemy is first. My advice, Oswald, find who the one who did this. Make it clear whether it's Sidorov or Lupus. If this bout is between them. CASE Enforcers like you have no right to interfere unless they are up to something supernatural.”

“Don’t think they’re going to be cooperative in the first place,” Robert said. “You mention that Sidorov owns the casino. Think they're going to be up for an interview? Any statement on their side?”

“If you have the Lieutenant’s permission. Bet they already heard it. But just in case you carry iron with you.”

Robert tapped his shorty. Danan shook his head and then took out an M16 and then placed six mags on the counter with five straps of grenade on.

“IOU at least grants you that. You might not need it, but like I said it’s better if you have the hottest iron on you when confronting these folks.”

 

Robert left the store while armed to the teeth. His car moved through streets, slipping through cars before parking on the sidewalk where Sidorov’s Casino was. He didn’t bother to explain himself. Showed his ghost badge to their goons and climbed to where their Boss was seated.

He entered a double-door room and was met with a woman in her mid-thirties with blond hair and scarred left face. She looked up lazily, and stabbed her cigar on the ashtray. She interlocked her fingers and then glared.

“I was hoping that an Enforcer will be coming. Sit down, Enforcer Oswald. I take it that CASE has a lot to say.”

Robert took the bomb fragments from his pocket and threw them on the table. Her assistant took the fragments and then stood two steps behind on Robert’s left.

“We condemn these methods.”

“You do. Thing is, Enforcer. We don’t tolerate pretenders in this city. Our Family, my family, and my men’s family have been living in this city. We have killed the Germans, the Japanese, and even slayed demons in this city and yet these kusok der'ma comes swaggering, thinking that they own us. That we’ll hand over our land. Our business. They might have forgotten that this isn’t the old days any longer. Their magic runs dry and our guns roar louder than their spells.”

Her gaze, if it was even possible, became colder. She did not hide. She did not veil her intentions. She was making a warning and a quiet warning can’t be taken as one.

It made sense.

Somehow it made sense.

But the ill-tempered passenger screamed at Robert.

It screamed vengeance. It screamed how they only needed to point the gun and take care of this. The fury that was driving Robert mad could be seen. The woman could see it. Her assistance could see that unrelenting fury that was warping reason.

“Think, Enforcer.”

Then it was doused by her cold voice. That reasonably calm yet also cold tone that warned Robert. The ill-tempered passenger disagreed. It protested against whatever Robert wanted and yet he knew that there was a chance he might not walk away if he did.

He needed to know the reason.

The justification that killed a lot of people in the past hours.

Why a bomb was needed to make their point?

It hurts to calm in the face of evil. And yet he forced himself to stand down and listen. The woman in front of her seemed satisfied with the composure that Robert was showing. Nonetheless, as Robert listened to their actions. The rage burned harder than ever and then it became all tranquil for Robert. He then understood it well. If anything he was heartbroken about how no matter what world it was.

People like Yaga and this woman exist. No matter what world it was, the greedy and the reckless ruled the top, deciding on who they needed to hurt and who they wanted to make a warning.

For them it was the matter of who has the grasp of things. Didn’t matter if civilians were involved as long as they made their point. Robert was a mercenary, and yet he realized how he needed to remember that these pieces of shit were criminals.

They won’t stop.

Now that they pressed the detonator.

Yaga and his crew has to face the might of the syndicates that had always been ruling this city.

Robert and CASE were simply the folks who were sandwiched between these two.


Thank you for reading!
Please support this series if you can!

8