Chapter 73: The Magus Enlists
159 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Simone waited for the landing gears to settle down before leaving the aerial vehicle. He looked around the Sanctuary located just outside of the city and sighed at the taste of the air and the natural grass under his boots.

Not far from him he saw the squires of the Lionheart doing their training. Their methods remained unchanged, and through technology they had retained supremacy and still remained as one of the richest companies in the world without the world itself knowing about their existence. The top donator of CASE and had been their rabid supporter.

“Master Simone, it has been long.”

A maid appears before Simone. It was an old fashioned maid that the owner of the sanctuary was fond of keeping. Short bobbed hair with sleeves that covered her arms.

“Misha, hmm, you have come into her service.”

“The benefit was too large to ignore, Sir.”

Simone nodded his head and followed Misha around the garden. The world was once so green and clear and yet only a few years did it take to turn it into concrete. The situation in the east was somewhat manageable, but most of the west and the middle parts of the world started preferring glass and concrete over everything. Wood remained as a cheap alternative, but was mostly a material that was being exhausted as years passed.

“It is a rare occasion for you to be here,  sir.”

“Saint Lucius disturbs me once more. It is no longer the city that I am pleased to be in.”

He thought back to years ago when most of CASE had a demon summoned. It took most of CASE, the military, and sacrifice of Skylar Sinclair to send the demon back to the realm. Sir Gregory Hawke, had put down most of the demons, but was wounded from the encounter and had to be treated.

It was a time where Sir Richardson Clarke had become the leader of CASE and operated the organization as its director, turning it into a much more efficient organization after the board of directors were fired from the spot.

There weren’t many people that were active in CASE after entering anomalies and fighting mutants that were the result of the breeding with the half–breeds. Most of the time they were acting to quarantine incidents related to monsters, isolate, and even sometimes protect mythical creatures that had found their place to die.

A lot can happen in a hundred years and old comrades die. The ones who were left that were experienced were forced to settle into office positions where they can manage the operations of the organization.

He had been in his twenties when he joined CASE and here he was living in his hundred twentieth years in the world. Far too long for this life.

“Ah, it’s nice to be young again, Misha. How I wish those old executives would understand how hard it is for this old man to work.”

“You are still young, sir.”

“Externally.”

Simone grumbled. Reaching the rank of true mage had made him able to keep on sustaining his life through the use of magic. Any defect on the body can be replaced with a clone of his organ. There were people who were opting for him to use bioware, but it was something he’d think about installing unless needed.

His body remained at its peak and recent technology had allowed him to remain indefinitely as a man in his prime. Of course, he had been taking pills for his aging brain, and although magic can keep his external appearance look good. His internals weren’t as good.

“That reminds me… I hope my grandson is not making you wait?”

Misha lowered her head. “I… think he is preparing for our future.”

“I see that you are still unable to call me a grandfather, Misha. My poor, aging heart is saddened by this.”

“N-no, Grandfather, it’s just that I hope to call you that appropriately. How is  Grandma Lauren?”

“She is fine. She’s visiting her family’s land. I think she wants to see some of the Scaletta's that are still around.”

“Mrs. Wyllt… she’s something.”

“That she is.”

It was around 1998 that she was assigned to him after his previous enforcer was put out of action. He never really asked about what happened to him  other than he was gone, and he somewhat knew that after that incident, there was no chance for his previous Enforcer-in-charge to be alive after being scorned and sacrificed in that operation. It was around the early months of 1998 that he met Lauren at the hardest time of his life and through the heat of the moment, and a few reckless nights that a relationship had been born.

She was a righteous former detective and he was a fool who wanted to get things done. Through his help she had reached the status of true mage, and became an Agent of CASE, allowing her to live longer than most of her peers. She also had the help of Sir Clarke’s wife, Miss Hela Dupont and allowed her to stabilize her magic.

Many people were lost and although most of the old generation had fallen in battle and the organization had been slowly leaning to the use of technology.

Many of his sons and daughters went to BRAVE and CASE. As much as he wished that they’d stay safe. It ran on the blood how they can be reckless and in a way they refuse to let the old blood that he had died.

He even felt baffled when his wife told him to gain two more wives who had ancient blood. He was sure that some bastard persuaded his wife, but nonetheless he had to agree on some occasions to preserve the bloodline and in a way his Lauren understood.

Of course, she was a woman who had given birth to fourteen sons and seven daughters. If she had her way she would have persuaded Simone to do more… for the bloodline.

Misha knew how family-oriented the Matriarch of Wyllt Family and the fondness of the grandmother when it comes to having kids couldn’t be hidden.

“Do not worry. She is fond of a large family, but she’s not the kind to force you into giving her a lot of grandkids. I mean, I know that your generation seems to be so unwilling to raise little ones.”

He had known this strong-willed girl. Although she was working as a maid, no one in this sanctuary would dare to insult her. It’s not because she had connections to Simone’s family, but because of her own abilities. She’s one of the few that had reached the rank of true mage in this kind of era.

He was a bit proud of her and his grandson for entering this state.

And taking care of the Lioness was one of the highest honor she could get in their circle.

They entered the estate, and then went around the private garden where a woman was relaxing herself under the son. One look at the woman and you’d think of her as a physical perfection. She held no bioware, and remained in her peak like he did.

She was a Lionheart, and the Lioness of the Lionheart Family. A woman who had been an enigma. A prideful woman who refused to mate with people weaker than her.

“Ah, if it isn’t the old stallion.”

“Hello, Virgin Mary.”

Leona grinned. She released a pressure that made Misha's eyes tremble in fear.

Leona noticed Misha and then released her power. Simone looked at her and then approached.

Leona Lionheart’s pride triumphed over everything.

She was a woman who only had one son and one daughter in her lifetime and the surrogate  father didn’t even get the chance to sleep with her because the man wasn’t able to beat her. No one knew who was the lucky man other than it satisfied some of the requirements, and she did it through artificial means.

“So what brings you here, old friend?”

Simone sat down and then handed over a flash memory. Leona took the device, inserted it into her smart glasses, and watched the presented information.

“A loose mage. Had you contacted everyone about this rogue?”

“Most of our people are fighting in the east and in the uninhabited parts of the world. I don’t know what’s happening over there, but Japan and Korea have seen a steady rise in mythical beings. We suspect that the martial clans there are interfering with our investigation.”

“I see. It seems to be worse in New York as well. There’s also calls about our people in Oregon and Coronado. Ah, that reminds me, the Holy See is also wondering if we’ll ever take care of the blood-drinkers in Rome and the Ghouls in france.”

Simone groaned, “I’m getting too old for this.”

“You’re doing fine. I say that you are still in your prime with your looks and strength. Don’t worry. I’m sure that if Lauren demands, you can still give her more kids.”

“Please no, I don’t know who to give my will to. So many grandsons and granddaughters. Which reminds me, how is Darius?”

“He’s doing fine. Although I think that he should get on with the daughter of that noble already. They have been adventuring and meeting up with hidden societies at my stead. He does plan to succeed in some of my responsibilities… although my daughter is starting to worry about her old lady.”

“She’s like you, but even more prideful.”

“I’m starting to think that she prefers women or that she’d rather go down the old path that her mama has. A troublesome affair, but we can’t let go of this side of the world.”

“You don’t seem to be that busy,” Simone said.

“Oh my, now that is such a false statement. Rest is part of my duty and I was enjoying my time off until you called for a meeting.”

“Pardon me, then.”

“Shall I have Misha brew us tea?”

“I’d want REAL coffee if that’s okay.”

“Misha, be a dear.”

Misha went inside to fetch them coffee. She sat upright and took the coffee that Misha brewed.

“Such a lovely girl, I wish I had a son to steal her from your grandson. Sigh, all my descendants are pansies. They have no steel in their hearts!”

“My condolences.”

“So you want my best trackers.”

“That I do.”

“I’m afraid that I can’t spare many, but Elliot can be helpful in assisting you. Hmm, I say let this madman kill the cult of the solar temple, they do not bring any good.”

“Still hoping to cull them?”

“They are like cockroaches, vile beings. They still remain a pest in my eyes.”

“Any news on the Sin–Eaters?”

“Nothing as usual. It pains me that such vile individuals still walk the earth with us.”

Simone smelled the real coffee and leaned backward. “Some things never change.”

“You are more elegant, at least that changed.”

“I’ll be disappointed if I had remained the same. How would I look to my grandchildren if they see their grandfather acting like a fool?”

“Oh how young you were, to think that the fool I’d meet in one of those old schools would become such a fool after a hundred years.”

“A hundred years… you don’t expect to live that long and not wizened. Though, I still feel like a fool.”

“It’s a pity that we can’t speak more, Simone. You should bring Lauren next time, and without any business.”

“That I will. I really should convince Juliana about my retirement.”

“All that power. All that wisdom and you are still wary of her.”

“A woman who mastered hexes and curses is not a woman I want to fight with.”

“Lesnik has given you some gifts.”

Simone looked at the old tree. “Does his essence lives here?”

“They want to be left alone and so they will. I did as for Old Lesnik’s permission after buying this land for myself. It pleases me that you are acquainted with the creature.”

“I never really did think they’d allow it.  Lesnik was rather merciful compared to when I visited him the first time with an Enforcer.”

Leona’s eyes narrowed, “Even old mythical beings like him have enough of this world.”

“You look tired.”

“Perhaps, but you seem to be more tired than any Magus that I have seen, Simone. I was thinking of asking for a favor, but I will not today.”

“Please come to Misha’s wedding.”

“Of course, how could I not come to my precious helper’s important day. That is, if she’d allow me.”

Misha looked at the ground with a blush. Leona laughed heartily, and then took a look at her reflection on the coffee. “Elliot will make it easy for you, but if the situation is more volatile then I shall lend you my guards to immediately remedy this. A loose mage in this city shouldn't be allowed, no?”

And so the Lioness declared.

9