Chapter 76: Stringed Around
309 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He threw himself on the corner while avoiding a hail of gunfire. Reloading his weapons, inserting a new mag, Elliot brushed off the snow that fell on his forehead, before peeking out of cover, shooting the targets from afar.

Then he tugged on a greaade on him, lobbed it to the Vultures who had ambushed him. The grenade scattered the Vultures, leading Elliot to come out of the cover, and empty a mag on the vultures.

One of the vultures he shot didn’t didn’t die. His bullets ricocheted. Elliot heard the familiar sound of a charm withering. Elliot flicked the magazine away, inserted a new one, and then took a disposable scroll and threw it at the Vulture who used his reinforced legs to evade the wind blade that fell on him.

The Vulture loaded his gun, aimed it at Elliot, and shot Elliot twice on the chest. The charms on Elliot simultaneously withered. Elliot put strength in his legs to leap to his left, then aimed at the head of the Vulture before taking a potshot on the Vulture face.

“Damn it!”

Elliot fell sideways and then scanned the area. He was ambushed. Someone seemed to have noticed his movements and so the Vultures came out to deal with him. He had suspected the Vultures for the past few weeks and so it led to this gunfight that had him kill eight of their members. He had called for reinforcements, and if those sirens were right, then it must have been the LCPD. Not long after, the LCPD surrounded the place. Elliot tiredly lifted his ghost badge, and let the police do their job while he got out of the place.

Taking a cabby, Elliot checked his ammos and then groaned. He sent the full report to his superiors and was just waiting for confirmation that the guy he took out was the Mage. No, it was hard to believe with all of the confusion, but he saw how it was possible with the wind blade that they threw on him.

A phone call connected.

“We’ve seen the result. It seems that they were using windblade, no, one of them did.”

Despite all the confusion of the fight. Elliot saw clearly how one of those Vultures threw a windblade at him. It was a sure sign that it was the Mage they were looking for, and despite trying his best to call in reinforcements, they were ready for him. It was only after he had killed the Mage that he had finally gained a semblance of control. He never knew that the Vultures fought by throwing even toxic gasses at him. If he didn’t have a spare filter on his pockets, he would have died. He’d had to thank that asshole Robert for upselling the filter to him.

A picture was sent to him.

It was a photo of the Vulture that he had been fighting. He was covered in seals and runic scriptures that covered his back and front.

“What’s this?”

“The runes are similar to the bone-carving techniques that we had back in ‘97. From the looks of it, the Vulture had met another Mage who he had ‘saved’ and learned the secrets of the past. A lucky encounter and after learning some magic, he took the fight to the cultists to prove his worth.”

“Are we sure about this?”

Another image file was sent. This time it was one of the excerpts of his rambling that started to have gone to the madder side of things. Complete with a timestamp on when he had started his ramblings.

“This is too convenient.”

“Not really. But at least this confirms that he didn’t learn from anyone. I do worry about this loose mage, but it looks like this mage got out of the city after teaching the basics to the Vulture. We can rule out that it’s just an imitator who’s using the things carved on his back to make the wind blades.”

“I hadn't heard of this method before.”

“It is a method from a long time ago. I doubt anyone had heard it unless they were an old practitioner of Magic before the 21st Century. It’s a method of tattooing the wind blade on the rune and allowing them to use it sparingly. We can assume that he was using it sparingly until you fought him.”

A pause.

“I am somewhat disappointed that it isn’t a Loose Mage. But the results speak more for themselves. I was  hoping for a live one, but I guess it would be too convenient.”

“Sir, I don’t think that we should give up on this. Shouldn’t we continue looking for this Mage?”

“He’s probably not around. If he had enough brains then he’d understand that other forces are searching for him. Probably a thousand miles away from that city now. And it seems like the Mage was looking for a way out of this city by attacking the competition and getting the favor of the Vultures. The transactions on their accounts made it clear that they have been depositing it to someone named KL.”

“I see.”

Elliot felt that something was off. He couldn’t tell why and it bothered him.

“If you have anything to report. Tell me. The Soltemp members of the city of Lux have been annihilated and even the Corps are involved with the problems. We need to pull out before we have the Consortium breathing their noses on our necks. Good job Elliot, you may think something else, but the case’s something we can’t continue. That Mage had brought too much heat to the city and if we move more than this, we’d have more problems. It’s too risky to continue at the moment. And I’ve sent Agents to track down anyone who might have traces of magic to make sure that this loose mage couldn’t escape. You earn your rest for now, Enforcer. I’ll put a good word to your Boss. She will be pleased.”

The call ended. Elliot thought that there was still something fishy about it, and yet couldn’t argue otherwise. He had arrived on the main road of the district of a bar he had been frequenting lately.  Five minutes away from the main road, he saw the neon-lit sign of Eden’s bar and entered.

“Welcome to Eden, customer.”

What greeted him was Julie, John, and then Robert who was staring hard at his drink. For the last few days, this bar has been his sanctuary.

“The usual, please.”

Julie mechanically mixed the chemicals and started mixing the drink. Elliot poked on Robert. He lifted his head and scowled at Elliot.

“Yo, you look awfully shit today, Detective.”

“I can say the same to you, Robert. What’s wrong with him? Broke his heart finally, Julie?”

“No, he came in already exhausted.”

“So many gifts… so many deliveries… and some asshole started shooting again. Hmm, you smell like gunpowder, Detective.”

“Got some trouble with the Vultures.”

“You got shot?”

“I’m here, aren’t I?”

“Aww, that's good. Julie, please, a bag of ice.”

Julie squatted behind the counter and handed the bag to Robert who was moaning while drinking his beer. He took his beer as well and drank while watching Julie poke Robert’s forehead.

“Stop poking, asshole.”

“Stop leaning on the counter.”

Elliot leaned on the counter while recalling the details. He needed this drink after that gunfight. Although he had charms weaved on his clothing, it was still troubling because of the number that he had been fighting.

“How many did he drink while having that headache?”

“A lot. Really, I sometimes wonder if he’s lying about not having any implants.”

“Did you check?”

“Nope.”

“If Julie tries to check it. There’s a high chance that she’d perv me. Can’t let that happen. I will not let my guard down against this woman.”

“Maybe if you’re a 10/10 blonde with large tits and maybe I’d think of doing that.”

“See, Elliot? This woman’s got good taste. No wonder we’re pals,” Robert said with a half-pained expression.

“Can you be quiet?”

Robert took a sip of his drink. Julie cleaned the glasses while eyeing the news.

“Must be one hell of a headache.”

“It is.”

Robert had the same look of someone who just got his well dried. Reminded him of the magic exhaustion that some of the Mages does. Then again, they did say that it was like having a headache while constantly roaming at the height of winter.

“Got any plans for the holiday, Rob?”

“Spend time alone, I guess. No deliveries for now. Uncle Pei saw reason.”

“How’d you do it?”

“I just refused. Said to him that the other platinum couriers are starting to get envious. Was worried since  he got pissy about it, but he let it go in good faith. Of course, it’s good to have some folks prove themselves. I can’t continue this workload. So I had to do it, and not because they bribed me for it.”

“Oh, yeah, Elliot. Someone delivered this to you.”

“Huh?”

Julie handed a slot drive. He scanned the drive for any virus before he slotted it in. It was a burner drive with only one text file inside of it. Elliot accessed and then frowned at the contents of the file.

Hello. I have been noticing that a certain person, that is you, has been following my traces. Who sent you? CASE? One of the Magi Families? Or are you one of those Sin-Eater assholes? It doesn’t matter now.

Elliot looked at the message and processed it. It seems like he had been noticed. Mentioned CASE and the Magi families as well. He continued reading the text file.

“If it’s CASE you’re working for, then shame on you for forgetting the past. Had you all forgotten what they did? Sure, they might be copycats, but copycats attract the foolish who don't know they are just imitation. I had trained one of the Vultures to be my trigger, and it seems that sooner or later he’d be found.” 

Elliot hated that they were right. Then again, this text file doesn’t prove anything yet.

“I had been following  you. It’s quite easy. Technology is quite a technology, but I guess the years have made us all adapt. You may think that this is nothing more than a vendetta, and perhaps it is my prime reason. Sins shouldn’t be forgotten, and these people have sinned against the world even before the millennium bug took everything, and despite not being truly a part of the Solar Temple, have continued their heinous practices of trafficking people, selling their organs. To not do anything about evil is apathy. Apathy is evil. The inability to act upon the face of evil is evil. Of course, that’s just a petty excuse. I just want to get rid of them as best I can. A shame that my disciple had to suffer from it. One way or another, he’s probably not going to make it. Tell whoever Master you serve that they shouldn’t forget. Never let evil take root and spread. I refuse the excuse that there is always someone who will fill the slot. Yes, it is true, but nonetheless they neglect it. But despite our differences, I will not face those who live on that side of the world. I have done enough damage on my part. This city breaks your soul, leaves you broken, and the longer you stay, the more it pulls on you. Leave this city. You will not find me here, and I don't intend to fight CASE or have qualms with old allies. We may not meet again.“

“-KL.”

The text file ended with those two letters. Elliot grabbed his head and sent the text file immediately to analysis and held his head while waiting for them. Waiting for an hour, while caressing his head, and drinking beer. He got a reply.

“It looks like the Mage knew us from the start. It’s clean of any traces. Have you asked the bartender?”

“Yes. I have sent the details.”

“The courier’s not found anywhere. Probably got it from a dead drop.”

“Shit. Sorry for that, sir.”

“It’s okay. At least this tells me that this one doesn’t have anything against CASE… probably an old guard that still has a grudge with the Solar Temple.”

“What happened?”

“Ferric’s Case. Read it?”

“Not really, sir.”

“Read it. You’d understand. Have you thought that maybe you’d saw this man>”

“I don’t think so.”

“Well, this result is satisfactory. You can come back now. Leave before you get involved in that city.”

“We’re letting him go?”

“We have to. It’s clear what the Mage wants. He has no qualms with us and even if he hadn’t left. Many of us will agree with this… because a mage remains a mage.”

“I understand.”

“Withdraw from the city, and make a full report, Elliot. Go back to your family, and take some time off. You earned this.”

The call ended. Robert turned around while groaning.

“Your face looks disgustingly pleased, Detective.”

Elliot emptied his beer, “I can go back home for the holiday, fortunately.”

“Oh, you flatlined the killer?”

“Only the student, not the master.”

“Well, shit. That sucks.”

“Master skipped town. No need to worry about that for now.”

Robert turned to Julie. “Hear that? No more trouble. Happy?”

“Yay?”

Elliot snorted at the two and then buried his head in disappointment. For some reason, he had this nagging feeling that he was just dragged and led around.


Announcement
I might not be able to post until the 13th  of this month or I might take a break for a while.
To those who have been reading and following. Thank you for reading so far!!
9