Chapter 107: An Island Visit
118 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The demands of the world are quite something. One hundred billion dollars for compensation. Does the world think of our resources as indefinite?”

The words did not reach Katey however.

Gia Silva.

Katey Lores.

She did not care about her current name. Her mind is somewhere else as she lets the stream of information pass through her mind to process it, and then place it aside.

“Madam?”

She blinks to switch her mind to the current affair. The speaker is a son she has not seen for a long time. Jed, the speaker, who has been assisting her daughter in managing the affairs 

“Pay what is due. Assist in the purge of all demons around the city. How are the reactions of the other magi-families?”

“Regarding that, my lady,” Jed said to her. “The Lioness is coming to our island.”

She nodded. “How’s her retinue?”

“Alone.”

“I see.”

Katey rises from her seat and then looks in the direction. “Is that her?”

“I think so.”

A screen was brought up and a sky fleet was hovering above the airspace of the Island.

“Should we?”

“No. These are knights of the Lionhearts. Fighting them when they have managed to sneak above us will cost us. Her honor is intact so I shall not risk the life of the citizens who still believe in us.”

That’s a lie, she thought. Or is that what she believes?

She takes a step and within a blink she stands before the sky. She hears a cry of an infant. She looks within her and that ball of soul cries.

Once it had a shape. And now the years have molded into a ball of soul into this external soul she uses to enhance her powers.

‘Calm down, my child,” she said to no one. ‘Mama needs to work.’

A golden figure descends as if the air and gravity did not drag her down. Her aura alone is overwhelming to the unseen and her appearance alone makes one wonder if she has reached the peak of what could be called natural beauty. Her appearance isn’t lesser to Leona, but she is silver while she is gold. Leona’s blazing fire and she’s cold ice.

She wore her battle dress. On her back was the frequency sword modeled to the artifact encased inside said sword was molded to create this blade that could cut through steel easily and even disrupt the flow of a spell. Customized to suit the needs of the Lioness, a weapon forged with the brightest minds that the world could offer – a gift to the Lioness who has been keeping the paws of creatures that have been trying to devour those who she deemed under her protection. A noblesse oblige that ran naturally in the blood of this madwoman.

The perpetual smile. The air of confidence those who do not know her would think of as an unfounded confidence. Though there are tales that this woman has been really careful in selecting the right people.

“Silva.”

“Lionheart.”

She turns her eyes to a direction.

“Is that Mr. Jed?”

“Why come here, Lioness?”

She lifts her lips. The softness she carries herself. Her lackadaisical attitude made her wonder if she could be like that.

A gust of wind passed by and secretly she looked at the skies. The Lioness follows her gaze. Her hands on her hips.

“It is quite cold in here,” she said to Katey. “I don’t particularly like this Island of yours, Gia.”

She did not bother to reply. Her eyes remain on the hover ships that this woman brought to her island. Most of the defense batteries of the island were turned off and the only one active is the steel dome that defends the islands from any attacks.

“Your island’s defenses are quite weak. My ships barely felt the defense system. I guess boldness brings rewards sometimes.

“Speak. Answer.”

“You are too cold, Gia. Or do you intend to break the Pact?”

“I do not.”

“Then you summon demons without asking.”

“It is an accident,” she said to Leona plainly. “A miscalculation on my part.”

She curls her lips, blinds, and then caresses the handle of the sword she’s carrying. A wind blew their hair and with a flash the sword that the Lioness stopped dead before her neck. 

“Unflinching. Your power has gone stronger again. I wonder how far you’ve reached?”

She crosses her arms. Not bothering to hide her annoyance. Leona sheathed her sword. She pulls her head back and laughs slightly.

“I see that you’ve become stronger than ever. A pillar of your people. I’m sure you know that a lot of people. Rich individuals and esoteric families and holy sects are wondering what’s your problem.”

She paces around while Katey follows her around with her gaze. “We have non-aggression towards each other. Do you know why that came to be? Why haven't my Lions tried to tear the necks of your Runners?”

“You know why.”

“I want to hear it from your lovely lips.”

She groans. “Because it’ll both weaken us. We won’t be able to stand and will leave us susceptible to opportunists who want our heads.”

“See? Now, you are pragmatic. You carry yourself in efficiency and secrecy that it makes me wonder sometimes,” she paces around her while scanning the island with her bare eyes, “how you are able to stay so unflinching despite it all makes me truly want your seed.”

“Did you come with that absurd proposal again? I will not accept it.”

“I doubt you ever will. Just imagine it. A child born out of your and my genes. He or she would become a monster.”

“That is assuming that the child would survive.”

“Indeed, just because you are born into powers does not mean that they will follow you in their footsteps. If anything, I am quite envious of your ability to raise such children that are capable of supporting you. Aiyah, I am jealous… and mad.”

Her aura bursts, creating this crater around them that bald the grasses that they stood.

“I have sworn an oath to you, Silva. You are a necessary person to this world. It may sound arrogant that you alone could change this world, but you are the heart and the mind that forwarded this world into this. Back then, I never thought that the day would come that I would ride on flying ships and watch men and women become part-steel. You have contributed to it. Perhaps, you knew it best. You gathered enough people, made some failures along the way, but your eager persistence, dedication to your goal. That single-minded determination has reached you so far.”

“What is your point, Leona?”

“You may not think of me as a friend, Gia Silva,” she said. “But you are the best among us,” she laughs. “I may have quite an ego, but when I think of your humble neutrality. It makes me wonder sometimes if I can reach such a degree of maturity. You have made all of this yourself. Not a handout. Through blood, sweat, and tears.”

“I am busy.”

“Indeed, maybe it’s why you are what you are. You don’t stop, do you?”

She takes something out of her bag and unfolds it. “I brought this letter from the First Court. The Council that stands and judges our side of the world.”

“In accordance with the laws created to protect the two-sides of the world. We hope that the instigator, the one who has summoned the daemons to the world. You, who have made this sin possible, shall stand in this oldest court and be questioned by leaders of the religious world. The Clans of the World, and its Oldest Family demands that you stand before us. You may bring your family, your friends, and allies – and your guns if you desire safety.”

There was a boom that came with the laws. They tried to seep into their minds, but were casually reflected by the incredible resistance that they’ve built up for years.

“These old fools are very sure of themselves. They said that the older you are. The more tempered you become. If anything, we just become ourselves, no? So uncaring, acting like children who have finally stopped pretending to be an adult.”

“I remember you being stricter. I preferred that woman over the woman standing before me now.”

“Aiya, I’m old and the years have worn me down. Odd, that you’ve remained somewhat the same. Still with that unflinching elegance. I do think that your mood has gotten even worse. Or has the pressure been too much even for my lovely Warlord of Wisteria?”

The two glared with such intensity. Will is power. And when paired with the arcane it brings forth a terrible might that rumbles and shakes the air. 

Two of the most powerful women in the world. Their might alone made them terrible opponents. Alone they are dangerous, but when backed by the powers they are a threat to any faction.

“Tell me, what are you here for?”

“I want to see the woman who had been running around like a headless chicken. This is unlike you. To care about the lives of others. If this was the old you. You would have not bothered to listen.”

Leona studies her face before standing upright. The playful face that she wore died. Her brows became stern and this feeling of suppression bursts, overlapping her aura as well.

Lines came out of Leona’s skin. Her bones were glowing and her appearance had a soft light coming out of her. With her vision, she could slightly see Leona’s heart pulsating, every beat pouring out an arcane energy that melts through her skin.

She hears a pulse. The third soul. The infant, who seems to be irritated by this force bearing down on her mama, fights back, every beat shielding her from the force that Leona emits.

Two souls melded into one.

And a soul that is attached, protecting her mama.

Gia Silva, no, Katey Lores had a dream once. To form a suitable vessel for this poor soul, and let it live a long life, find a way back home.

Time and space separates her from that dream. A dream so impossible that each day of every week of the month and the year had slowly worn down her heart, mind, and soul.

She has remained steadfast. Strong and reliable because she had a goal. And perhaps the recent events had shaken that soul.

Was it for atonement? Or hope that maybe it was nothing more than a mistake. She had read tomes, ancient writings, and right now all she had hoped was that the devil played a trick on her.

Even if that was the case.

She hated the thought of it.

She trains her gaze on this woman that has been testing her patience. Leona’s rational, and in a way her coming to her Island brazenly served as a reminder what she held alone.

If she had loved only one.

She would have not found the strength.

But to lose all of your family. The people you hold dear and then come to a world where you have no one left. Perhaps, if she had the Silva family remained with her. Maybe she’d have the vain hope. Live this new life, and make peace with the thought of losing two families.

Stopping here is an insult to what she had done. 

‘Mama’s tired,’ she said to the soul defending her. ‘Still, we have to try, right?’

She ruptures the shield holding her back and instantly overwhelms Leona’s might.

“I do not see why you do not need my Hellrunners when we offer to clean this mess for free, but I get the hint that we are not welcomed for now.”

The power in Leona blinks away

“I’m glad that we come to an understanding.”

“Leona. Come to this island uninvited again and I will not hesitate to blast your children out of our skies.”

“It’s nice seeing you again, Gia Silva.”

“Leave. You will me in your ‘courts’.”

Leona took a grand leap and entered the back of her ship. Her fleet flashing back to their homes in such a grand manner, producing violent waves that tore space.

7