Chapter 124: The Silvian Conflict 2
78 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The world has chosen a path it usually does. He ain’t surprised it turned out this way. Thing is when someone makes a good point about something. The first rational humans have is to question the point. And in a way it’s what causes human conflict throughout the ages.

It can’t be done.

It is not right.

That is evil.

It can’t happen.

It must not happen.

It shouldn’t happen.

The thing about life is it’s a matter of perspective. One could be the most evil in the world, and that one could be someone’s most beloved hero. If the world was so black and white. Maybe things would have been easier.

But humans are shades of gray.

They have many thoughts. Ideologies and ideals that are questioned throughout the years. Every thought has good and bad thoughts. It’s a matter of what the one person is seeing.

The most common excuse is the desire. Great good and great evil is built on that desire. Desire is what leads to people committing acts; whether good or bad.

Everything is built on that desire.

And the other is built on fear.

Fear of what may happen.

Fear of what it will do to the people around you. 

Desire and Fear is what makes the world go round. Of course, this could be questioned as well, for the beauty of the world itself is there are folks who’d question you for it.

Sometimes he wonders if this is right. To hamper her way because he is afraid of the consequences. Afraid she’d turn the sky orange.

In a way, he truly did understand her desire to find her family. He loved them as she did. If she could guarantee it. He’d be willing to believe her. But seeing how it went. Even with or without interference. She poked a hole in the world. Let demons in and now she’s standing in front of the world as if she didn’t care about appearances anymore.

Stubborn. Courageous. Brave. It’s hard to believe she has these qualities. No, it was always there, he had noticed it even back, but her kindness stood out more than those traits. Or perhaps she was so good at hiding it.  It is petty. To think of wanting her to be the woman who would just wait at home. And yet to him it was the most comforting thing in the world at the time.

She didn’t have to fight. She didn’t have to experience the evil of the world and be cautious at a burning orange sky. To watch out for lightning, and scream your guts at the wave of mutants and raiders who are after the convoy you're guarding. All he asked was her to be safe. Free from the evil he does. As long as he’s the only one who has blood in his hands.

So seeing her turn into this person. Maybe it’s why he broke in the first place. Because in the end he knew he wasn’t there for her for a hundred years.

The world shifts and he phases out. A translucent ghost that used the brand on his left hand.

“Our connection is solidifying.”

Kato breathes out. “It isn’t long?”

“It isn’t.”

There’s a pause.

“For what it’s worth. I don’t enjoy making a sleeve out of a human’s body.”

“We are… connected.”

“Riddle me this. Why can’t you just create a flesh puppet?”

“A good question. I could, but it would mean that this body wouldn’t be compatible. It is similar to installing software. You needed the system requirements to make it work. Your soul acts as a tether and without it. I doubt I can properly control a body without being thrown into the cycle of reincarnation. Soul is the requirement and your soul is compatible for me to inhabit.”

Kato folds the sleeve of arm. His skin was covered in this obsidian-like texture, like hardened biomass forming this dermal coating on his arm. texture that is similar to that of muscle tissue. Smooth and slightly glossy, with visible veins and tendons running through it. It was quite flexible.

“What is this?”

“I need to invade your body to make it further compatible. It is a changeable biomass. It can transform to suit your needs. You could say that through this biomass I could remake your body.”

“Is this magic?”

“No. Highly advanced biomass. Think of it as a nanomachine in organic form. Difference is it can consume organic and use it to create more biomass. It can also harden like how a silicon would harden in the presence of oxygen, allowing you to harden. It can regenerate flesh at will and can protect you.”

“It’s fascinating.”

“It is. It is a technology far beyond the level of this world.”

“I hope this will not affect this place. I don’t want any more anomalies.”

“You two already did. If I have arrived before you two could influence this world. Then it would mean I would have no choice but to kill you two.”

“So why not?”

“It’s too late. Killing your partner will mean nothing. The knowledge you two carried has already left a mark in this world and the future. It is meaningless.”

“Thank God, then.”

“Perhaps.”

The Deadman’s ghost leaned on the railing. His eyes on the horizon before him.

“The world remains the same no matter what. Every world. Every iteration remains. A person can change the world, Kato. The will can triumph over everything else. Whether it can raise an army that can conquer a continent. To create machines and even pry the gates of hell in order to get what she wanted. Anything is possible with determination and luck. And now you stand before the precipice of the world. Here comes another turning point.”

Kato could tell from his voice that he had seen it again and again. A familiar rodeo he rode without a change of expression. Was the price of long life the destruction of emotion?

The skies open up.

An army approaches the island in a flotilla of ships, including aircraft carriers, battleships, and submarines. It was the combined fleet of the people who were worried about the movements of the island. The readings they got from the device pointed in this direction. Knowing this these people came to stop whatever it is they are doing here. There was no intel that suggested this. But all the comms Kato’s hearing made it clear what their goal was in approaching the island.

“People of the united world,” a voice called. He didn’t know the voice. He doubts he would bother, but the voice is lace with a determination. “We have managed to unite. Despite our differences, we have made it clear that we are allies living on a planet called earth. We’ve argued. Fought. Killed. And  made fools of ourselves. But even at our worst, we could understand this. Our enemy intends to poke holes in places that shouldn’t be poked. They intend to create a burning sky with or without the permission of the free world. It is their right to do what they want. They are a free nation. However, our ears have heard how dangerous they are. How it would affect their lives. They are dealing with materials that shouldn’t be touched without further studies. As to those who know what happened the last time they did, then you understand it more. We will bring them down with force. All talks have been lost and many of our allies, former ones, have come to gamble the lives of many for a machine that might not work at all. This can’t happen. We will not allow them to do so. And to the forces of the Island. We are willing to accept your surrender. Lay down your arms and STOP this madness before you can kill us all.”

It was broadcasted. But there was not a single voice from the other side. The voice that spoke before sighed.

“It seems that their ears have turned deaf. Everyone. Prepare for battle. Our objective is to stop the machines of their island. Take them down. Disable their operations and win.”

As they get closer, they are met with a fierce defense from the island's military, who launch waves of fighter jets and missiles at the invading force. A curtain of projectiles and missiles and a blanket of lasers that destroyed the flyers.

The world lit up. The sound of voices were not heard, only the thunder of the guns and the clap of missiles exploding mid-air. The garbled voices of soldiers. The commands from the fleet and the desperate defense of the island that they are attacking.

Kato stood far from the battle. His eyes on the armies trying to land on the beaches of the island. It was a struggle that Kato was familiar with. A struggle of two sides clashing because of an idea.

The air broke. He heard no voices and all he could think of was how to proceed. And perhaps because of the persistence of the attackers that they were able to land their army on the beaches and establish a foothold on the island. Despite the heavy resistance, the army is able to land troops on the beaches and establish a foothold on the island. The Hellrunners, who were on the island, fought the attackers. The allied army pushed inland, facing intense battles against the island's well-trained and determined soldiers who were equipped with far superior firearms and weapons.

Kato had no say on the battlefield. But it was clear that the island is covered in a network of underground bunkers, fortifications, and tunnels, making it difficult for the army to advance. The island's defenders use their knowledge of the terrain and advanced technology to hold off the invaders, launching surprise counter attacks and ambushes at every turn. Their superior mobility, firearms, and defenses made it hard for long-range bombers to enter the vicinity of the island. Even a fool could tell that the army is not making progress.

They deployed some sort of chemical weapon on the island. Unfortunately, the defenses of the island in the equipment they have made it impossible for the chemical weapon to have any great effect.

Although they could have the enemy head-on. The people of the island made use of the terrain and their technology. Even the ships and submarines were no match for the railguns on their spider tanks wreaking havoc on the field. 

A horrific realization of how advanced the forces are fighting. By the second week of the battle, they came to realize that the forces in the island were determined to fend them off.

By the third week of the battle. Most of the troops that landed on the beach were pushed back to the coastal area where the ruined fortifications of the island protected them.

Morale was being crushed. And the sight of the Hellrunners and their advanced vehicles made them a terror on the field. However, there was a machine that stood out among the battle. A machine that was made out of nightmares even back in Kato’s work.

A Mechanized Armored Soldier. The MAS stands 20-25 feet tall. Heavily armored with a pragmatic design and equipped with various weapons, such as machine guns, rockets, and mini-missiles. Piloted by the Hellrunners, and used to destroy the armored divisions that landed on the beaches.

But what made them even more terrifying was the grunts accompanying the MAS.  The Sentinel Droids. Heavily armored and armed with a variety of weapons these droids, designed to be highly adaptable, plowed through the forces, accompanying the Machine Leader in battle.

What made them even more dangerous were their heavies carrying packages of drone swarms on their backs, plowing through the enemy defenses while the rest of the Droids advanced.

In the end, the island was able to successfully defend itself against the invading army, but at a great cost. Although the island was left devastated by the conflict. The machines guarding the island made it not impossible for them to think they could rebuild as easily as they have and can keep up the fight.

5