Chapter 10: The seach begins.
3.8k 7 71
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This chapter will be the only one this weekend, but the next weekend will be a mass release of 1chap/day for 4 days.

 

--That was expected!--

 

How should I know about that?

 

--You are their princess.--

 

...

 

It was already morning and Crete was waiting with me at the meeting place as more and more horned rabbits gathered. I stopped counting on the thirtieth rabbit that appeared because the number kept growing.

 

The guilty one stood next to my oldest brother nonchalantly and didn't show any kind of guilt. My dad, who asked the other families to help the night before, told them something like, "Help your princess tomorrow in the morning!". A few of the first horned rabbits told me about it.

 

The families my father visited sent out more messengers to deliver this message to even more families.

 

In the end, around 200 horned rabbits gathered on the meeting spot.

 

What do we do now?

 

--Why we? I can’t help you because they only hear on your command. So take an amount as much as you want you and leave the others behind.--

 

...

 

--You may think of jobs for those who will stay behind.--

 

... let me think about it.

 

I immediately came up with some ideas for jobs. One was to guard the barrier because some creatures can pass the barrier. Another job that came to my mind was the construction of new buildings for the new inhabitants.

 

I think about 50-60 is enough to help to search, if it shouldn't be enough, we can take more with us tomorrow.

 

--Your choice.--

 

Let's see.

 

I started by explaining the tasks.

 

Task 1 was the construction of the new buildings each of the new ones, who were among the gathered horned rabbits, were automatically selected for this task because it was about their future homes. Around 180 of the 200 remained. I sorted out those who looked young or old, as well as everyone that is inexperienced in combat.

 

Around 100 remained.

 

Task 2 was the defenses, it was clear that around 50 should patrol to guard so that an attacker who can pass the barrier shows up. There was a back and forth of those who wanted to help me, that I ended up with 47 guards. I send my father and brother in this group.

 

Last but not least, were exactly 62 horned rabbits left. I divided them into 6 groups of 10 horned rabbits each, one of the remaining was my mother, she did not want to leave my side. The other leftover rabbit joined another team.

 

The tasks of the groups were simple, two groups formed the vanguard, two more the rearguard and the two remaining groups covered the left and right flank.

 

Originally, I planned to make smaller groups that could search in a larger radius, but Crete held me back. She explained that it was to dangerous out there and she wanted to ask the trees for help. Her explanation was that although the trees don't know about the Sanctum, they can feel strange flows of magic beneath them.

 

===

 

We hadn't left the barrier for long when the first "visitors" approached us.

 

Three 2-meter tall ratites approached us from the front. One of them stalked towards us centrally, while the other two moved half-right and half-left. 

 

--Command the retreat of our vanguards.--

 

Why these are just a few ratites?

 

--Don't argue with me!? These "ratites" are called Kanaris and are rank C monsters with the primary attribute AGI. The Kanaris is the most dangerous hunter in this part of the forest! Their attribute height is at least three times higher than your average, only Kyuko should be strong enough to fight with one of them!--

 

What should we do then?

 

I called back the vanguards.

 

--Kanaris are not something you can defeat in groups, I have to go myself.--

 

"Quek eeq qeek!" (I'll go with you.)

 

As if my mother reading Crete's thoughts. Crete let her eyes wander between my mother and me.

 

I nodded and so Crete and my mother started towards the Group of Kanaris.

 

The vanguards hadn't arrived yet when Crete sprinted past them with my mother by her side and approached the central Kanaris.

 

Crete was busy with the three Kanaris when a loud and restless quiek was heard from the right flank group. Another Kanaris had approached us from the side and divided the right flank.

 

I let my gaze wander on Crete and my mother, Crete was already fighting two canaries and my mother was fighting the third one.

 

Tch! ... I have to do something!

 

I left the group from our left flank to keep an eye on Crete's situation and let everyone else moving towards the fourth canary.

 

The fourth Kanaris raged through the right flank, it had already injured two horned rabbits and immobilized.

 

(Appraisal)

 

<Appraisal>

 

Name:    n/A.

Title:     n/A.

Race:    Kanaris

Sex:    ♀️

Age:    8 years

Rank:    C

 

HP:    459/474

MP:    281/292

 

<=====>

 

474 HP!? That's almost ¼ of Cretes HP!

 

I looked around and let the last horned rabbit gather. With a loud squealing signaled I the attack and about 40 horned rabbits stormed with me towards the Kanaris.

 

I activated (Enhance Body (light)) and (Charge). By the combination of abilities, I stormed in front of the others away.

 

The Kanaris had noticed the mass of horned rabbits approaching it and instead of following the small group around it, it focused on us now.

 

I saw, how it focused on me because I was the one who appeared like a very easy target ahead of everyone all along. In contrast to an ostrich, the Kanaris had to flutter with its unusually shaped wings to reach high speeds, this puffing up resembled that of a peacock.

 

With every other meter, my pulse continued to rise, my heart was beating so hard because with this action put I my own life on a line and every single step could be my last.

 

The Kanaris tried to kick me with it’s foot, but that was the attack I was hoping for. I leaned my head slightly forward to lower my antlers and the moment it outstretched foot was over my antlers, I jumped to the left and pulled the leg of the Kanaris with me.

 

The Kanaris lost it’s balance and fell on the side it hit the forest floor and remained to lie.

 

The horned rabbits that followed me took advantage of the vulnerability and surrounded the Kanaris. One by one rammed the Kanaris from all sides with their horns. I used (Appraisal) to determine the damage caused.

 

(N / A - 305/474 HP - 226/292 MP - Bleeding) (Author note: The combat appraisal edition)

 

We've already caused over 100 HP damage! If this continues, it will be easy!

 

I was happy about it, but this happiness was betrayed because the Kanaris let out a scream causing a shockwave. The shockwave blast all the near horned rabbits through the air, all the others were like me pressed by the pressure on the ground.

 

Before I was even able to react, the Kanaris stood again and let out another scream.

 

This time was the shockwave much stronger and I lost my grip.

 

Owaahh!

 

I circled in the air and landed hard on the ground a moment later.

 

Ouch. This scream ...

 

I looked around and saw many of the horned rabbits lying motionless on the ground.

 

Oh! Please don’t.

 

I eagerly used (Appraisal) on some surrounding horned rabbits. After seeing their status I was relieved because they were all just unconscious and still had more than 10% of their HP remained.

 

How am I supposed to defeat such an opponent... That thing can some of us to faint with just a scream.

 

The Kanaris looked at me with it glowing red eyes. They glow from anger, and there was an aura of bloodthirst emitting from its body, that made my body tremble instinctively.

 

Announcement

When Arc 1 is finished, will I release a character page with background information about the characters of Arc 1.

71